POA Listening party Now Online!!

Bart

You've said that before.

I'd just like some help to listen to this listening party.

I'm going to do my absolute best to get this out to my fellow Mac users. I'm just going to need a little time.

Neil - not at home

I'm on it. If I succeed, it will be up in 90 minutes.

Thank you! You're really kind! :sigh: I'm a MacUser too... Blame Windows! :music:

NP - Yared's TROY (a GREAT score!)

I'm still trying, software won't recognize my sound card output. Will update if there is any success.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:music: I am loving this!

Just started Buckbeak's Flight. The Knight Bus is great! The ambiance of sound is just perfect for the scene.

Anthony

Classic FM sounds better than this on Dial Up,i'll listen again tonight.I guess the AoL presention in broadband must be better sounding than what I'm hearing right now.

K.M.

I just got done too. Very impressed for the most part, although is wasn't really what I expected. Very diffrent from the first two scores. The whole thematic structure has been almost completely revamped.

The Knight Bus had me laughing like crazy, that is going to be a very funny scene and the music is perfect. And I was really hoping to hear Harry's Theme as that was my favorite from the first two films, but the new theme that's apparently for Harry is very good. I will have to listen to it a couple of more times, but on first listen I have to say bravo! As if there was any doubt. :music:

Just got done listening to this. The sound quality was pretty decent. I fully enjoyed this! I am waiting a little more anxiously for this cd now!!! Thanks King Mark for your write up!!!

Interesting that there are quite many mac users here. Well I was finally able to listen to the AOL listening party on my mac. Not an easy task though. Hadn't used Virtual PC for months and had to install an OS first. Found my copy of Windows ME, and used that then. But what wouldn't one do to hear new music from Williams. And it really was worth it!

-Snowster

I think people's hearts will be damaged when they come online for the first time since five hours ago and see this thread.

I keep getting a error creating direct sound buffer, whatever that means so I haven't heard a note.

You've said that before.

I'd just like some help to listen to this listening party.

I'm going to do my absolute best to get this out to my fellow Mac users. I'm just going to need a little time.

Neil - not at home

That would be great.

This is a beautiful score. Its so amazing and really very original and different from the previous HP scores. I am absolutely loving it. Its emotional, i reckon its by far the best score so far this year(almost definately).

Well done Mr. Williams on creating a very original and magical score! :music:

Joel-very happy

someone pm me when you have it available for download. . . NEIL!

I need to show this to the kids at school on monday.

I feel like a kid again. This is going to go down as one of my favorite Williams scores in history. So many different textures combining to forma a whole, with new themes. Is the chorus synthesized in that one track? I'm not looking at the track titles, and in fact, I don't know the story, so I'm just listening to it like its a big modern symphony!

I think people's hearts will be damaged when they come online for the first time since five hours ago and see this thread.

Were you thinking of me when you said that... :music:

Oh well, I LOVE Aunt Marge's Waltz. It sounds like a full classic concert piece (by that I don't mean a concert arrangement, but like the symphonies and such you hear now) and it seems to be brimming with humour. Cleverly done. The Knight Bus is also excellent, it reminds me of the Cantina Band if all the aliens were cars...

So like...most of the old themes are gone? :music:

I'm going to, er, be strong and not listen to this. Gotta...hold out for the CD...

I don't want to sound too gushing, but I'm very very very impressed.

I can't even be dissapointed that it seems there isn't a Dementor's theme. All the new thematic devolpment is amazing. Just listen to the last track.

Buckbeack's theme is just awe-inspiring!!The Window to the Past theme is heartbreaking.SWTWC sounds amazing with the orchestra. The Knight Bus is an incredible surprise. Teh patronus light is one of those classic wordless choir JW tracks.

And it just souds so fresh when compared with the previous 2 scores.

This was well worth the wait!!!As I said, I don't want to gush too much, but this will be a day long remembered.

I was holding back the gush untill now,but wow,this is a beautiful score.When the patronus theme is heard in the finale,followed by the new Harry Theme..I can't find the words to describe it.Then the AMAZING End Credit suite...

K.M.

I have my sound problems corrected, and am about to listen.

I couldn't resist and heard some of it. I just love the Window to the Past theme. I certainly hope to hear it performed in Boston next week.

My biggest complaint about the CD was the absence of the SWTWC theme heard in the teaser. It was much more orchestrated and had strings accompanying in the second part. It isn't on the CD. How do I get a good quality version of it without the dialogue and effects?

Also, I have to be honest and say I hated the Knight Bus, especially when stuck into the concert arrangement at the end. It just destroys the credits/medley track that would normally be my favorite.

Mm, isn't SWTWC a bit similar to Nimbus 2000?

Actually, I find SWTWC to be more similar with the track, absent from the cd, when the students enter the great hall in the first harry potter movie (and in the movie, the same track was used in Diagon-Alley).

And I agree with KM...that sequence is amazing.

BTW, this end credits suite may be one of the longest end credits tracks ever, since in does not include the finale of the film.

BTW, this end credits suite may be one of the longest end credits tracks ever, since in does not include the finale of the film.

I think the Nimbus 2000 theme is for the final scene,which may be Harry flying on his broom or something...cut to credits...Hedwig's Theme Opening Fanfares(this time with bells)-SWTWC.

K.M.

Even if that's the case, it's a very long End Credits suite, with around maybe 9 minutes.

But the previous track sounds so much like the ending of the movie. I'll take my chances on that the Nimbus 2000 theme actually starts the end credits. Could the end credits be shortened for the movie?

Yes,participating in the excitement of those threads outweights waiting for the c.d. for perfect sound.

I'll still check out the Classic FM program because the sound should be somewhat better than what I got on my dialup from AoL,then try to download the tracks in the best quality possible(those who recorded a broadband version),then buy the c.d.

I only feel bad for people with Macs who can't listen to it.It also reminds me i made a good decision not to buy a Mac.Suffice one incompatiblilty issue like this one I'd have regretted it forever,no matter how good a machine they are.

K.M.

I only feel bad for people with Macs who can't listen to it.

Don't worry about us. I'm sure we'll all survive.

Neil - Mac user

:) - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - The Knight Bus

Starting Times in relation to entire stream:

00:00 1. Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme)

01:37 2. Aunt Marge's Waltz

03:53 3. The Knight Bus

06:46 4. Apparition on the Train

09:00 5. Double Trouble

10:38 6. Buckbeak's Flight

12:42 7. A Window to the Past

16:40 8. The Whomping Willow and The Snowball Fight

19:06 9. Secrets of the Castle

21:38 10. The Portrait Gallery

23:40 11. Hagrid the Professor

25:40 12. Monster Books and Boggarts!

28:20 13. Quidditch, Third Year

31:52 14. Lupin's Transformation and Chasing Scabbers

34:58 15. The Patronus Light

36:10 16. The Werewolf Scene

40:30 17. Saving Buckbeak

47:14 18. Forward to Time Past

49:48 19. The Dementors Converge

52:23?20. Finale

56:26 21. Mischief Managed!

Well I just finished my second listen. There's definitely something to be said for second listens: for me, at least, all my preconceptions were broken or satisfied the first time, so the second time is easier to just relax and take it all in. My thoughts on certain highlights:

Aunt Marge had me literally laughing out loud. What a fun piece of music! It sounds both very classical and very much like a circus, maybe a trapeze act. A terrific listen.

The Knight Bus was one of those extreme surprises. I was in no way expecting anything like this jazzy, swinging cue. And yet it fits so well. I especially love the whistles and brass punctuations that imitate traffic . . . brilliant!

Apparition on the Train introduces what seems to be the dementors' atmospheric music. A combination of tense strings, frenetic brass, and a low airy undertone, I would imagine that this underscores the ghoulish beings quite well.

Double Trouble is fantastic. I'm not sure what inspired Williams to go for such as medieval sound, but he worked wonders with it. This is totally unlike anything heard in the previous Potter scores, and it seems a good representation of the film, from what we've seen of it. Fun, dark, and mischevious. Kudos to the Dufay Collective!

Buckbeak's Flight: The track I had anticipated most turned out to be one of the biggest surprises. Expecting something in the vein of the flying scenes from Hook and ET, I was blown away by this powerful, sweeping, majestic track. I will certainly be coming back to this one again and again.

Next, the most pleasant shocker: A Window to the Past. This track introduces what seems to be the theme for Harry's past/parents for this film. Beginning with a lovely recorder solo, the theme is nicely developed. It is an aching, heartwrenching theme of great beauty that immediately reminded me of the Jane Eyre Theme. Simply wonderful. If there is one classic Williams theme from the score, this is it.

Love The Snowball Fight, a cheery, festive little tune.

The action tracks The Whomping Willow and Quidditch, Third Year are certainly impressive, and each contains its own different subtheme. It's difficult to tell if these motifs represent a larger aspect of the overall story, or just these specific cues, since they don't seem to be repeated elsewhere and there's probably plenty of unreleased music.

Secrets of the Castle, The Portrait Gallery, and Hagrid, the Professor each feature Double Trouble in one for or another. In the first it's creepy and mysterious (with a great little reference to Hedwig's Theme without missing a beat), and it's more fun and lively in the latter two. Again, great use of medieval sounding instruments.

The Patronus Light is a beautiful, restrained piece for chorus that really does give the impression of shimmering light and hope.

The Werewolf Scene and The Dementors Converge are action tracks that I'll have to revisit to get a better feel for. In the second however, is a really neat touch - a horn playing snippets of the "Past" theme as if to represent Harry's failed attempts at producing a Patronus.

The score's Finale ends gloriously. The Patronus voices are heard once again, this time with a French horn playing an uplifting variant of the Past theme on top of them. Then comes more development of the Past theme, passed around the orchestra and taking us home to . . .

Mischief Managed! As I hoped, this is an end credits suite. Beginning with a great rendition of the Nimbus 2000 theme which segues into a brief fanfare of Hedwig's Theme, we are treated to numerous fun performances of Double Trouble. Following this are the Past Theme, Buckbeak's Flight, The Snowball Fight, choral version of Double Trouble, The Knight Bus, Aunt Marge's Waltz, and one final statement of Hedwig's Theme on the celeste. I have to say I was at first disappointed to hear the themes presented in the same arrangements as they appear in the score. But it's a comprehensive suite that can serve as both a good sampler of the score and effective closing summary.

I'm really looking forward to delving further into this score in the next weeks, and especially experiencing it in the film. I'm so thankful this came out today, it's really gotten everyone happy and talking about what we're here to talk about!

Ray Barnsbury

help, I don't get the music started... How do I install the AOL music player? The system doesn't ask for it.

PetePan (yes i'm still lurking)

Classic FM sounds better than this on Dial Up,i'll listen again tonight.I guess the AoL presention in broadband must be better sounding than what I'm hearing right now.

K.M.

that must be it, the dial up, since i didnt hear anything bad in broadband.

Ill say it sounds as a 192 or better kbps Mp3s...

nothing in comparison to last year's realplayer HP COS, which had to be endured more that enjoyed... at least in my old crappy 166 PC...

Mm, isn't SWTWC a bit similar to Nimbus 2000?

at least i'm not the only one. i distinctly remember saying that when the first trailer came out and no one listened.

check the logs i said it!

You don't need to use the AOL music player to access the stream.

If you have Winamp, go to the File menu and click on Play URL.

Copy and paste the following link:

http://nsvod-prod-mods-rtr.stream.aol.com/..._azkaban_64.nsa

I did this, but then after a few seconds it says "timed out". What else canI be doing wrong?

This score is too filled with riches- I'm not used to this! I LOVE Buckbeak's Flight. The begining is classic, like Escape from Venice.

One thing I don't like- Double Trouble. I don't like the gypsy sound to it. I with there was a straight version of it.

I really, really love the pounding percussion at the begining of Buckbeak's Flight. I love the way it comes in in the End Credits especialy.

So I guess I wrong. As far as I've notice, none of the music from the trailer's in it.

Does anyone know how to record what winamp is playing?

Answer: use writer output plug-in to create a wav of it. then use whatever audio software you like to split them and encode in whatever format.

-Diskobolus, who now has this album on CD