Separate to the interest of the subject matter the film's very much worth watching as an exercise in dazzlingly controlled storytelling and acting. And it's not a movie only about the political situation, either. It's so accomplished.

Lincoln will pass the 100 million dollar mark later this week. It's been awhile since a Spielberg picture like this has broken that barrier.

Lincoln will pass the 100 million dollar mark later this week. It's been awhile since a Spielberg picture like this has broken that barrier.

Impressive! That'll be his third drama to do so, after Saving Private Ryan and Catch Me If You Can (Schindler's List and The Color Purple too, probably, when adjusted for inflation).

I saw the movie today. I think it was pretty decent all around with good acting, but not an "extraordinary" movie. It was more engaging than War Horse which at times felt like a chore to sit through.

Well I guess we can scratch off that one off the list of "complete score" must haves. It seems like there's more music on the OST than in the film.

I MIGHT have heard a different version of the main theme when they pass the amendment in the congress. It sounded slightly more noble than the OST. but I may be mistaken as the score was mixed pretty low once again

Also this is not a score we notice in the film, it may be nominated for the Oscars but I'll never win. I'm disappointed The People's Court is for the End Credits only...well you do hear the first minute of the track in the film earlier

Hi gang

I'm in the midst of writing a piece about the movie and it'll be in print in the New Year. I'll let you know the date it's published if that's of interest.

Thanks

JC

I'm sure there's lot of good unreleased, unused stuff. Didn't JW say he recorded 90 minutes of music?

I don't think so. If you add everything on the album with everything in the film it's about 90 minutes.

I'm writing a review of the movie, on this very weekend, for publication in January in a British magazine. I'll post a link down the line if that would be of interest to anyone.

A happy and peaceful Christmas to one and all.

JC

• 2 weeks later...

Oprah interviewed Spielberg, Lewis and Fields--here are a few segments of the interview. Anybody know how to watch the entire thing?

http://www.oprah.com...Spielberg-Video

Here's a bit more:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/spielberg-on-spielberg-dicaprio-oprah-lincoln_n_2303915.html

I just saw the news that Daniel Day Lewis is coming to Athens, Greece for the premiere of Lincoln on 22nd of January. After the film, there's going to be a bit of a talk with the audience.

I'd love to go but the ticket is 20 and 30 euros. ($26 & $39) Too high for me at this period! :(

I wonder if anyone here would pay so much to go..

Thursday morning at 7:30am(cst) the 2013 Academy Awards nominees will be announced.

How many nominations do you expect Lincoln to get?

I'm guessing 13 perhaps.

1. Best Picture,

2. Best Director,

3. Best Adapted Screenplay

4. Best Actor, DDL

5. Best Supporting Actor, Tommy Lee Jones

6. Best Supporting Actress, Sally Fields

7. Best Editing

8. Best Original Score

9. Best Make-up

10. Best Cinematography

11. Best Costume Design

12. Best Art Direction

13. Best Sound

perhaps even 14 with Best Sound Editing

I still do, especially in years where I'm likely to have seen many of the nominees.

I don't knwo much about sound or sound editing (aside from music), but was it that impressive with Lincoln? Didn't stand out to me. Other than that I agree with Joey's picks, although I'm less confident about an editing nomination than the others.

well Indy I'm just stating what Entertainment Weeky predicted for the most part.

I loved the film and it was far more than I expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Spielberg changes Lincoln opening scene for international release

The opening of the film now provides onscreen messages that provide exposition and contextualisation for the story of Lincoln’s fight to abolish slavery, alongside actual black-and-white images designed to provide insight into the realities of America in 1865, rather than an opening battle scene of the Civil War.

Here's the real intriguing tidbit:

“We worked on [the new opening] with Steven Spielberg and writer Tony Kushner. It’s seamless and quite beautiful, actually. And there is the John Williams score playing over it.”

Having seen the American version, I am very interested to know what Williams music will underscore the new images.

Personal Opinion: loved the movie, loved the score 9/10

Wow, fascinating news!

I'm sure no new music was written though, I'm sure they grabbed something already recorded

The opening of the film now provides onscreen messages that provide exposition and contextualisation for the story of Lincoln’s fight to abolish slavery, alongside actual black-and-white images designed to provide insight into the realities of America in 1865, rather than an opening battle scene of the Civil War.

“We worked on [the new opening] with Steven Spielberg and writer Tony Kushner. It’s seamless and quite beautiful, actually. And there is the John Williams score playing over it.”

Having seen the American version, I am very interested to know what Williams music will underscore the new images.

Yes I am intrigued as well. I would hazard a guess that it will not be too celebratory and will be something more along the lines of the Elegy on the soundtrack. If something like People's House came blasting through the speakers, it would really set a different tone from rest of the film I would imagine. On the other hand it could be a JFK approach where the history is recounted in positive tone before plunging into a different mood altogether.

I did say "more along the lines" meaning something somber and restrained.

But then again it might give away that the American Civil War was a horrible bloody thing or underline the obviousness of the fact. Damn! How to please the critics? Williams should start with a variation on the Getting Out the Vote. It would give the film a nice caper movie vibe right from the start.

I don't know if this was posted here already and I'm lazy trying to find it so here it goes. The making of LINCOLN:

John Williams' part is on 16:04.

Hey, a variation of People's House that isn't released or used in the film! Thanks for sharing!

It won't be released on album. When asked why, JW will just say, "Just play Indy."

If the video JW is composing to is any indication, it appears to be an alternate for the Trumpet Hymn (also unreleased) which underscores the final scene in which Lincoln walks down the hallway to meet his destiny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Personal Opinion: loved the movie, loved the score 9/10

Has any version of the scene been released on the internet?

It is a very brief summation of the situation that led to the Civil War with what sounds like the Trumpet Hymn (cue used at the end of the film just as Lincoln walks off to go to the Ford Theatre) of With Malice Toward None theme playing in the background. In essence it lasts for about a minute or two with no tremendous additional music.

• 1 year later...

well, I know I'm very late, but since today is the Lincoln day, I thought to watch Lincoln for the first time.

I don't know what is the general verdict here about the film but I remember reading many comments in various forums about the film being complicated, boring etc.

I don't mind slow and talkie films but we'll see..

I'm expecting to see something along the lines of Amistad (mainly the Adams' and court scenes)