The Best Zimmer Score Vs. The Worst Williams Score

Lurker

Is Hans Zimmer's Best Score Better Than John Williams' Worst Score?  

62 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I'm sorry. I didn't get the reference. I haven't watched Star Wars in a long time (though I just spent much more than I thuoght I would to obtain one without ANH).

If it's on DVD you overpaid.

Neil

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think George Lucas ceremonially burnt those in his backyard.

A 16mm print sold on eBay from Australia recently. It went for about $2,000. I thought Morlock may have been the buyer.

Neil

You know there seems to be alot of contempt for Hans Zimmer on this forum. Not sure exactly why that is. I will admit he has alot of annoying practices like being lazy and getting 20 people to do his scores with him as well as just putting out work which is of mediocre or worse quality alot of the time, but IMO Danny Elfman and James Horner have been equally guilty of this in recent years.

Heh Heh!

They have brought ignominious wrath upon themselves for going downhill. :mrgreen:

Man we need some fresh blood in the film scoring industry!

Williams himself cannot do it alone people!

That is why I hope Giacchino gets more exposure.

You know there seems to be alot of contempt for Hans Zimmer on this forum. Not sure exactly why that is. I will admit he has alot of annoying practices like being lazy and getting 20 people to do his scores with him as well as just putting out work which is of mediocre or worse quality alot of the time, but IMO Danny Elfman and James Horner have been equally guilty of this in recent years.

And this board deservedly nails Horner for it as well. :)

And if you're going to defend Zimmer, saying something positive about him would help. If you can. ;)

Personally I've never cared much for Zimmer - or MediaVentures generally. There are a few composers over there who does desent work though, like Harry-Gregson Williams and John Powell, I really like their scores for animated features. And also Klaus Badelt's work on "The Time Machine". I don't care much for soundtracks like "The Rock" and "Pirates of the Caribbean", they both have that widely used MV sound that makes me throw up in my mouth just a little...

Oh, so uhm - I had to say NO on the poll... Of course I haven't heard ALL of Zimmer's work... or Williams'

I haven't heard a Zimmer score I didn't like... But that could be because I've only heard two. The only Williams scores I don't like are the Earlier ones, before the 70's.

OK I will say something positive about Zimmer.

The Rock score kicked ass.

Sadly Zimmer has REALLY been slipping lately.

Considering where he was slipping from that is REALLY a bad thing.

I used to worship Gladiator...I still love parts of it...but some parts are too much a rip off to actually enjoy them. Others are just plain old MV cheesy stuff.

Gladiator came out right when I was finally starting to expand my Williams collection beyond Star Wars, and I really liked it at first. But my opinion of it has sunk lower and lower as time goes on. I still like the fanfare though, even if it is a rip-off. :)

I've also liked the main theme from Crimson Tide, but I've never heard it outside the film.

Am I Not Merciful?

Easily Zimmer's best cue. Full orchestra none of this "MV Cheese" all emotion. :)

Justin - Who thinks that and patricide are the best cues on Gladiator.

• 4 years later...
This poll now shows nothing but ignorance and fanboyishness....

A widely applicable statement.

Indeed.

Although I would've more expected this poll to be made by KM. What's next Neil - a Star Trek TMP vs The Human Race poll?

Sleepers is also a damn fine score. More and more people see it as an overlooked gem, a real sleeper.

Definitely. WIlliams' use of quartal harmony for the main theme is amazing. I don't think Zimmer would even know quartal or quintal harmony much less be able to use it. Shore uses it a lot too BTW> probably a jazz thing.

Now I know we have multiple threads on this subject because I remember taking part in a discussion about this but yet I find myself missing from this one.

Although a quick check of the date tells me why I didn't participate in this thread.

But fot the record, I would rather listen to John Goldfarb than subject myself to any of Zimmer's music.

What's next Neil - a Star Trek TMP vs The Human Race poll?

People change. Today's Neil seems pretty far removed from his 'Indysolo' days.

People change. Today's Neil seems pretty far removed from his 'Indysolo' days.

And from this message board it seems.

Sleepers is also a damn fine score. More and more people see it as an overlooked gem, a real sleeper.

Definitely. WIlliams' use of quartal harmony for the main theme is amazing. I don't think Zimmer would even know quartal or quintal harmony much less be able to use it. Shore uses it a lot too BTW> probably a jazz thing.

I wouldn't underestimate Zimmer's musical knowledge. This description of Angels & Demons by SoundtrackNet made the score seem like a masterpiece. I want to go back and listen to it again. I never saw the electronics as depicting the science with the violin and orchestra depicting religion. I also want to know what a musical ambigram is because he hid one in the score.

I wouldn't underestimate Zimmer's musical knowledge. This description of Angels & Demons by SoundtrackNet made the score seem like a masterpiece.

If the score were anything less, I'm sure the press release description would've mentioned it.

Hmmm. Apparently I voted on this poll 5 years ago, but did not participate in the discussion. I wonder how I voted.

Pardon my lack of tact, but what the f@@k is this- the "Hans Zimmer Website"???

Hey I know Williams' output is diminishing more and more with every year but it seems like there are more debates, threads, whatever about Heir Zimmer than Williams. We should at least discuss more John Powell scores since:

1. He shares the same first name

2. His style is far closer to Williams (translation- he's actually a more musically accomplished composer- even Zimmer said as much in a recent interview)

3. He composes strong themes with interesting harmonic resolutions like Williams (maybe not quite as adept but he's younger)

4. He's English and they rock.

I was so tolerant in my youth. Now I'm turning into a grumpy old man like Mark and Joe.

Anything's better than Zimmer.

And me too. I'm also part of the grumpy old man club. I honestly try to enjoy Zimmer and the new bunch of composers but they honestly uninspire. It's also difficult trying to rationally argue with some folks on the forum who were not even DNA when I myself began diving into electronics and MIDI so it's not like I have a hate-on for Zimmer by virtue of the fact that he employs synths. I have been into them for almost as long. It's mostly his musical language that I find bland and basically uninteresting- as much the same as Brian Tyler, Tyler Bates, Clint Mansell, John Ottman, basically guys who hail from a rock background who have limited musical vocabulary. John Williams' diarrhea is more musically interesting than most of what I hear these days. It's a real shame too because I was largely motivated to become a composer myself from the awesome film scores that I grew up with. Today, I probably would be more inspired to become a concert composer with guys like John Adams, Michael Torke and the like around.

I know this is blunt but it's like vomit- I cannot keep it down and must puke up all the vitriol I can because I'm truly bummed out by the direction film music has gone. Yes, it's different. No, I personally do not think it is as good, at least from the music POV. And frankly, SOuNDTRACKS, which were packaged music away from the film were what got me and a whole lotta other folks into film scores in the first place so the quality of music WAS important.

Yep, I'm preaching. And I am not sorry about it one damned bit!!!

Dave (grumpier than usual because he's having a hard time getting Sibelius to work on his computer- damned notation programs!)