JW out of Memoirs of a Geisha?

Antineutrino

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm?

GoF after all?

It's a rumor,but why would someone start such a rumor about JW's involvement?He's hardly ever mentionned in film discussions outside of film score forums,so why would someone say this out of thin air?

Williams not yet credited officially on wotW.

Williams not confirmed for Boston Pops concerts

Williams drops out of Geisha...

:?

K.M.

Well this is exciting news, in that it's news... AS LONG AS WILLIAMS KEEPS A THIRD PROJECT THIS YEAR (to fill up post WOTW... which essentially is the entire June-November period; presuming another Spielberg project is near completion by that stage)...

Goblet of Fire, Memoirs, I don't care... something ELSE! besides WOTW & ROTS

Did I really read this right?

Ford A. Thaxton: "As a rule this sort of stuff will be confirmed by either MUSIC FOR THE MOVIES or THE JWFAN.NET who do for the most part a very good job on these sorts of matters."

Ford is recommending this site?

Oh no! My dream year 2005 is falling apart piece by piece. There may be some truth to this: check out the IMDB. Williams is no longer credited for Memoirs of a Geisha. I will not believe this is based on a rumor started on a spanish forum. There MUST be some truth to this. And although I don't trust the IMDB fully why would they change this? Williams is also no longer credited for Sub-Mariner. Is there something going on we don't know about (yet). Williams health? The increasing popularity of Hans Zimmer? I'm worried...

This could all be because of imdb. Williams was taken on and off Geisha numerous times, in accordance with the rumors. And him being put on Sub-Mariner was pure speculation on imdb's part. I think this is getting blown out of proportion. I cannot think of a single conceivable way that this Spanish site would hear this before anyone else.

According a spanish forum John Williams was fire from Memoirs of Geisha, according it Mr Williams and the director of the filme had a lot of divergences

Oh come on,

Surey Williams has been too busy on Sith to have time for a project that isn;t released until Dec. Surely he wouldn't start writing until July or August? Surely he wouldn't have wriiten anything for Geisha yet, so what could they have argued about?? DId the directr ask for a "techno" score and Willims told him to xxxx off? (joke)

Of course the movie will require a Japanese sound, so what could have been the cause of the dsagreement?

Possibly wanting to work with Elfman again, as in Chicago? Or possibly getting Tan Dun? (I know, not Japanese, but neither are the actors!)

Or maybe the director listened to 7 years in Tibet and didn't like the "Americanization"

OH, this would be terrible if its true,

how wonderful it would be if this really is true

I'm so shocked and dismayed.

actually I am turning cartwheels

How tragic, and I was so looking forward to this score.

would you like to buy a bridge I have for sale, its between Manhattan and Brooklyn

I cannot think of a single conceivable way that this Spanish site would hear this before anyone else.

8O

I saw ROTK EE in stores here the 9th Dec.

Luke, who also thinks it is unlikely ;)

I just hope that Williams' health is as good as ever :cry:

Did I really read this right?

Ford A. Thaxton: "As a rule this sort of stuff will be confirmed by either MUSIC FOR THE MOVIES or THE JWFAN.NET who do for the most part a very good job on these sorts of matters."

Ford is recommending this site?

I think this is the closest Ford Thaxton has ever come to admitting he was wrong about something.

From the original FSM thread:

According a spanish forum John Williams was fire from Memoirs of Geisha, according it Mr Williams and the director of the filme had a lot of divergences

Ok, the poster is a guy or gal called adilson, a junior member meaning a short or limited post-record. He speaks of 'a spanish forum'. Sounds a little vague don't you think? What is that forum then? So this guy is actually restating things that supposedly have been said on 'a spanish forum' by some other, unknown, guy.

Reminds me of something I did years ago. I made a fan CD cover for Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone with, made up ofcourse, track titles. A few days later those MADE UP tracktitles appeared on a Harry Potter fan site presented as FACTUAL titles.

Isn't that how it goes with messageboards and all?

But I AM scared shit because Williams is no longer credited at the IMDb.

I kind of thought the same thing Roald, because in my John Williams' Its a Wonderful Life story, John was fired.

Nobody gives Williams the sack! NOBODY!

Amen to that. 8O

IF JW is no longer associated with the project (note the capital IF), it's because he lost interest or because the movie isn't as good as everyone keeps hoping. However, I still think we shouldn't get too worked up just because of IMDB and some Spanish site. Let's sit tight and await the first JW score of the year -- RotS. I'm sure JW will score both WotW AND Memoirs of a Geisha (if not, then GoF -- maybe Patrick Doyle isn't ready to score such a mega-blockbuster yet, after all). Anything's possible.

;)

So people are worried because imdb.com doesn't confirm something? Either this is a joke or I'm in a Bizarro forum.

There is one slim possibility that this could be true?if Spielberg plans to have a second film released in December, then perhaps he's retaining Williams' services for his film as director and not executive-producer. There is a possibility that we could still see "Vengeance" in December of this year, as it was supposed shoot/release last year.

The film is currently slated for a June 1, 2005 production start date. Last year, Spielberg's personal PR rep told me that the plan was to shoot the film in the late spring/early summer for a December release. If Spielberg is able to finish "War" and jump into "Vengeance" by June as planned, it's not inconceivable that we could have the film in the last week of December (the 25th or that Friday, most likely). With the announcement of Lincoln for a January 2006 production start, there's no word on what the heck is going on at this point. But it's a sound potential theory if there's any truth in the "Memoirs" rumors from that Spanish forum.

Steven, that is one very fine point you brought in: the production of Vengeance! This could SERIOUSLY jeopardize Williams' involvment with Memoirs. My reasoning is that Williams will NOT be able to score War Of The Worlds, because of his work on Revenge Of The Sith. Spielberg wants to release Vengeance in December, the same month Memoirs is planned for release. That would present yet ANOTHER conflicting schedule to provide old pal Spielberg a score. My thoughts are that Williams backed out of Memoirs himself to be able to score Vengeance.

My reasoning is that Williams will NOT be able to score War Of The Worlds, because of his work on Revenge Of The Sith.

But which loyalty would Williams rather sacrifice, for Spielberg or for the Star Wars movies? I hope he will just work his ass off and do them all. And if his health isn't good, well then we'd best send him some advil!

~Sturgis, who would actually rather Williams scored GOF than Memoirs

Portugal was once part of the Spanish kingdom, though, a long long time ago.

Then again, that wasn't exactly voluntary. 8O

- Marc, ;)

I see that you were a good student at History...

Of course I was joking about, and I do have a few spanish friends, and I know many people who wouldn't really mind if Portugal was again a part of Spain. But I don't count me among those 8O

I thought it was Roald to start another "JW will not score this movie" thread....... :pukeface:

So, Williams is out from WOTW and Memoirs..........poor man he must have a lot of free time then to finally score this HP4........

No really people, don't believe these rumors. Just wait some months and see!!

Williams not yet credited officially on wotW.

Williams not confirmed for Boston Pops concerts  

Williams drops out of Geisha...

:?  

K.M.

Hmmm...this reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith, who suddenly backed out of several concerts, film score assignments and appearances.

A short time later Jerry was dead!

OK...try beating that, Roald!

Portugese...Spanish...Who's counting?

I am! And beware, as Portuguese and Spanish have been eternal enemies, even if tell otherwise...

Last time i looked at a map of Europe, Spain had you guys pretty much surrounded!

Only one way to flee, and that's a very wet and salty way. :pukeface:

PORTUGAL IS GOING DOWN!

Portugese...Spanish...Who's counting?

I am! And beware, as Portuguese and Spanish have been eternal enemies, even if tell otherwise...

Last time i looked at a map of Europe, Spain had you guys pretty much surrounded!

Only one way to flee, and that's a very wet and salty way. :mrgreen:

PORTUGAL IS GOING DOWN!

I really don't know... We used to be very good sailors... but back then we also had boats :pukeface:

Steven, that is one very fine point you brought in: the production of Vengeance! This could SERIOUSLY jeopardize Williams' involvment with Memoirs. My reasoning is that Williams will NOT be able to score War Of The Worlds, because of his work on Revenge Of The Sith. Spielberg wants to release Vengeance in December, the same month Memoirs is planned for release. That would present yet ANOTHER conflicting schedule to provide old pal Spielberg a score. My thoughts are that Williams backed out of Memoirs himself to be able to score Vengeance.

I hope my theory proves true, but I'd hold off on believing it or the "Memoirs" rumor until we get a bit more info. It's all conjecture based on a rumor and Variety's production schedule. Last official word was that the "Vengeance" script was still being rewritten, so a lot depends on Spielberg's satisfaction with the script and with post-production on "War of the Worlds." There's great precedent (1993) that he could move from "War" directly into "Vengeance" in June, insane as it may sound, but nothings more than rumor so far. Hope it's one rumor that proves to be true though.

Then again (as I regularly mention on my site) it can all go to hell if George Lucas suddenly pushes a certain script into production... :pukeface:

Steven, I seriously hope that Steven S. takes a little more time than to rush Vengence through in a mere 6 months, that fast track is even shorter than WOTW.

Portugal was once part of the Spanish kingdom, though, a long long time ago.

Then again, that wasn't exactly voluntary. :mrgreen:

- Marc, :folder:

No monarchy is anyways...

And it that long ago... just 400 years. Yoda didnt had attained manhood at that age :nono:

Stefan is right! The battle for Iberian Peninsula has just begun. :pukeface:

(j/k eh?)

Hmmm...this reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith, who suddenly backed out of several concerts, film score assignments and appearances.

A short time later Jerry was dead!

So ends the first ghost story of the League of Extraordinary Composers.

Elmer Bernstein edition coming next month...

~Sturgis

Steven, I seriously hope that Steven S. takes a little more time than to rush Vengence through in a mere 6 months, that fast track is even shorter than WOTW.

The plan all along was to shoot and release "Vengeance" in about a six month window. If you think about the project, it's not a far-fetched concept. The film will (possibly) be shot down and dirty?a quick, documentary-esque rush of a production through Europe and possibly Israel that could likely be captured in 55-70 days (judging on the average time of quick Spielberg shoots in the past). The film will likely have minimal visual effects (perhaps a number of digital matte paintings or corrections to make scenics reflect the 1970s look of locales, although clever shooting and set dressing could help achieve all this in-camera). As always, Michael Kahn will be editing furiously as Spielberg shoots. The kernel of this was what was planned out last year before the screenplay got turned around for re-writes. If the script is complete by this spring, it's not improbable that Spielberg could do as he did in 1993 and launch right into "Vengeance" after a big budget effects picture.

When you consider "Vengeance" up against "War's" insane schedule, it's not as hard to believe either. "War," Spielberg's biggest effects picture ever, is going from production to screens in a little over eight dynamite months (not as insane as it sounds when people stop to realize that the film was in pre-production for at least two-and-a-half years, a nice head start). If Spielberg can take his biggest effects behemoth to release in eight months, I could see him bringing a presumably low-budget drama in at a fraction of that time.

Now whether or not this would leave room for "Lincoln" in January 2006, who knows. Perhaps he'll finish "War" and take a breather while he preps "Lincoln" for the winter shoot. Wouldn't it be amazing though to see him pull off all three films in a row, and wouldn't be more amazing if they are all solid work if not potential masterpieces?

And in case I didn't mention it before, John Williams is scoring "War of the Worlds." :music::jump:

Now whether or not this would leave room for "Lincoln" in January 2006, who knows. Perhaps he'll finish "War" and take a breather while he preps "Lincoln" for the winter shoot. Wouldn't it be amazing though to see him pull off all three films in a row, and wouldn't be more amazing if they are all solid work if not potential masterpieces?

I don't konw if it's a good thing.The last few Spielberg films feel "rushed".What's the hurry anyways?

K.M.

I don't konw if it's a good thing.The last few Spielberg films feel "rushed".What's the hurry anyways?

They do?

Morlock- who thinks nothing about his last few films feels rushed, except for maybe the writer being rushed to find an ending.

IF, JW is not doing Geisha, which I would be really disappointed about, because he'd come up wtih some beautiful stuff for it....WHO would Spielberg pick for the project now.....? There are so many out there....would be interesting....

How or when will we REALLY be able to know for sure??? Not until Summer? Or not until an announcement of a new composer for it?

There are any number of reasons JW many be shrinking his schedule, he could have had a health thing, but you know, not something terrible....just feeling run down etc, which is not good at his age. Maybe his doctor has told him he should keep his plate a little less full. Anything in the best interest of his health is the path he should follow.

But, if he IS not doing Geisha, that will be really be too bad. But personally, I will wait for a solid confirmation.

Saying a prayer for JW (everyone please keep Our Maestro in your prayers or thoughts too, for his health, happiness, and well being-),

Greta

EDIT: I agree with Roald's post about Vengeance above....so that would leave Spielberg looking for a good composer for MofG who can write something beautiful to match that atmosphere and cinematography.....

K.M.

This makes sense.

If Williams is indeed dying soon then Spielberg would want him to score as many of his films before it's to late.

Didn't someone with the usual unamed "insider sources" claim that JW was run down and stressed out because of PoA last year?

K.M.

There is rumoured to be pictures floating around the internet that show Williams on an itravenous drip and given oxygen between takes during POA recording sessions.

Didn't someone with the usual unamed "insider sources" claim that JW was run down and stressed out because of PoA last year?

K.M.

There is rumoured to be pictures floating around the internet that show Williams on an itravenous drip and given oxygen between takes during POA recording sessions.

:angry:

~Sturgis

K.M.

thats not a rumor, I saw the picture of him, and he's using a walker as well.

lets face it, John is sick,

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw John pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw John pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

LOL

~Sturgis

Yeah, I heard something like that too from a guy who knows a guy whose ex-girlfriend heard her niece tell her mum that John's been feeling a bit queasy lately. Here's an artist's rendering of what he might look like right now:

dooie.jpg

Notice the sickly orange glow. Yikes.

- Marc

I almost thought you quoted from Little Britain, but now I realize.