"Revenge of the Sith" unanswered questions

homiealex

What's wrong with the Frankenstein moment at the end? Vader at that point is just like the monster, walking on new legs not his own, and made of machine parts.... very appropriate! He's not just going to gracefully stroll around the room

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is implied in ANH that R2 knows what to say and not to say. The fact that R2 won't show Leia's message to Luke shows that he only trusts Kenobi at that point and is tentative in his trust of Luke.

Its interesting how the argument between C3PO and R2 makes more sense now. R2 knows which way to go and C3PO says "How do you know there are settlements that way?" The whole beginning of Episode IV seems really suspenseful now.

The whole beginning of Episode IV seems really suspenseful now.

it always was.

Random thought: since Yoda apparently trained Obi-Wan as a Jedi, when did this happen? Or was it some kind of "certain point of view" double talk? Or senility finally setting in to old Ben? Or just another plothole making it more clear than ever that this thing was never planned out from the beginning?

Ray Barnsbury

He was probably trying to keep things simple for Luke. If he were to go into detail, Luke might start asking too many questions.

Ah. I just don't see how saying "I was trained by a Jedi named Qui Gon Jinn" is more difficult than "I was trained by a Jedi named Yoda"....he probably figured Luke'd just get tongue-tied with those blasted three names. :|

Ray Barnsbury

and McDirmids cheese...

Sidious has always been cheesy, Joe. It was one of my big disappointments of Return Of the Jedi. Actually, to be completely honest, I already thought of him as cheesy when he first appeared in The Empire Strikes Back. But you know what? I prefer cheesy over wooden any time.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Random thought: since Yoda apparently trained Obi-Wan as a Jedi, when did this happen?  Or was it some kind of "certain point of view" double talk?  Or senility finally setting in to old Ben?  Or just another plothole making it more clear than ever that this thing was never planned out from the beginning?

Ray Barnsbury

It's kind of vague. We assume Yoda trains only the younglings, as we saw in AotC. We can assume Obi-Wan was at one point trained by Yoda too, before being turned over to Qui-Gon Jinn. And of course, Qui-Gon was dead, so he couldn't really send Luke to Qui-Gon.

On the other hand, Obi-Wan apparently learned more from Qui-Gon or perhaps via Yoda while he was in exile on Tatooine, as was mentioned at the end of RotS. But how that worked I don't think we'll ever know.

The whole beginning of Episode IV seems really suspenseful now.  

it always was.

Yes, but the exposition now seems like suspense. Parts where we're just watching the droids walk around in the sand now seem like they're leading up to a continuation of Episode III.

Because he was buying everyone?

Even most senators did. He declared himself emperor, to thunderous applause...

Yoda trains the younglins. Obi wan was too.

EU things: Qui gon lost a student to the dark side (Xanatos) and refused to take another. He refused to take Obi wan several times. I think obi wan stuck with yoda more time than other younglins of his generation. Later, the council convinced quigon to take obi wan and they succeded.

Obi wan in his 1st lines on TPM, quotoes Yoda, to oppose Qui-Gon's point of view. The thing about having the future in mind.

How about this - there was no Qui-Gon Jinn back in 1977!  

That's the answer I was looking for!

Though this is a good argument.

It's kind of vague. We assume Yoda trains only the younglings, as we saw in AotC. We can assume Obi-Wan was at one point trained by Yoda too, before being turned over to Qui-Gon Jinn. And of course, Qui-Gon was dead, so he couldn't really send Luke to Qui-Gon.  

Marc, Lucas should hire you to help him write his BS responses to plotholes. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

How's this for unanswered:

If Qui-Gon teaches Yoda and Obi-Wan how to disappear at death, then how did Anakin disappear?

I've heard it explained in EU that Yoda and Obi-Wan somehow brought him back, but that seems to easy.

how do the imperial commanders side with Sidious so quickly?

I believe that's a Sith power, Force-Side-With-Me-Or-Die

We have no idea how much has elapsed between the establishment of the Empire and that last shot on the star destroyer. Aankin could be in the suit for months, as far as we know.

Anyway speaking about the early script.

I always supposed shmi to be a slave since young age, and in the EU she certainly was (ship raided by pirates and she was captured and sold)

And selling her to slavery is not the jedi way, in some way, it would have been more compassionate to kill her...

One question: in the movie, do you think that Darth Plagueis or Sidious created anakin, my sister says it's clearly stated, since Palpatine says that the sith master learned to manipulate midichlorians to create life...

I think it's implied, but it's never actually stated that Darth Plagueis was Sidious's master. But I think there's more going on there than Sidious just telling that little story. So I like to think yes.

I think it's implied, but it's never actually stated that Darth Plagueis was Sidious's master. But I think there's more going on there than Sidious just telling that little story. So I like to think yes.

Another case of missing dialogue from the novelization. I'm pretty certain that it explicitly says that in the book

In ROTJ, Vader tells Luke that "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." When exactly did Obi-Wan sense that there was still good in Vader? Obi-Wan went to Mustufar to kill Anakin, not convert him back. And when they met on the Death Star Obi-Wan said he was "only a master of evil."

Jeff

What movie did you see? It was clear ObiWan was hoping Anakin would give up the dark side until Anakin made it clear he would kill him sooner than that.

What movie did you see? It was clear ObiWan was hoping Anakin would give up the dark side until Anakin made it clear he would kill him sooner than that.

I thought Yoda went to kill Sidious and Obi-Wan went to kill Anakin. Didn't Obi-Wan beg Yoda not to send him to kill Anakin, but Palpatine instead? What specifically did Obi-Wan say to Anakin on Mustufar? I can't remember. Also, didn't Padme say to Obi-Wan, "You want to kill him?" (or something along those lines) to which Obi-Wan gave no answer or said something like "he's dangerous". I took that as a "yes". I'm going to see it again later in the week.

Jeff

how do the imperial commanders side with Sidious so quickly?

And get those nice uniforms so quickly.

We have no idea how much has elapsed between the establishment of the Empire and that last shot on the star destroyer. Aankin could be in the suit for months, as far as we know.

But the very next shot was Obi-Wan delivering Luke to Owen and Beru. I doubt the Jedi cared for Luke for months.

Neil

The only important thing that it is not answered for me is why Leia could remember her "real mother". I thougth that Padme would have Leia in her arms for a moment or kissed her or something and not with Luke, so with that and with the "Force powers" of Leia she could remember her mother and Luke not. But in the film it isn´t answered why Leia has "images" of her mother in her head.

The rest of the film fits 99% with episode IV, V and VI for me (I don´t care about Syfo Dyas, about certains point of view and shit like that)

Doesnt obi wan show Leia to Padme more time than Luke?

I dont remember it well, but since leia was coming luke was quickly 'dispatched'...

I'll have to see the movie again...

what means somersaults?

(Webster's)

Etymology: Middle French sombresaut leap, ultimately from Latin super over + saltus leap, from salire to jump -- more at OVER, SALLY

a leap or roll in which a person turns forward or backward in a complete revolution bringing the feet over the head and finally landing on the feet;

also : a falling or tumbling head over heels

Why is there a landing strip in the middle of downtown Coruscant for Grevious ship to crash on.Don't spaceships in these movies take off and land vertically?

K.M.

That was no joke.  It really does come from an early version of the script.  I'm not about to kid around in someone elses thread, and I'm not going to waste my time and write my own ROTS fanfic and I recieved it from a trusted individual.  It is very much real.

Neil

I agree with this. the script does get edited several times and some lines from the script may get deleted throughout the making or filming of the movie.

u can get the movie script for all the star wars movies except for ROTS from this site

http://starwars.volzpdx.com/

Why is there a landing strip in the middle of downtown Coruscant for Grevious ship to crash on.Don't spaceships in these movies take off and land vertically?

K.M.

Good point.

Uh-- wait.

You don't expect them to land (vertically) on top of each other, do you?

So you need room to park them.

:devil:

Plus, it can always be useful in case of crash landing, as you see. ^_^

Where's "downtown" on Coruscant?

It's there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there

and over there too.

I also think that Palpatine's master created Anakin. Lucas distroyed that mith mist around the Force with the midiclorians. I can asume that also the profecy mistery is a more rscional fact, that is, anakin was created, I assume that in order to bring balance to the force, to get such a powerful being that it could bring the power back to the dark side.

If Palpatine was deformed by his own force lightning in ROTS.....

...why wasn't Luke deformed by it in ROTJ?

Justin

I always thought the Emperor appeared the way he did in RotJ due to decades of being consumed by the dark side...kind of a gradual wasting away. I like the thought of that better than the sudden change that is shown in RotS. BTW...the makeup in that scene? :)

Ray Barnsbury

I dont know if the book syas clearly the rays mark his face, but could be that his real face, and he facades comsumption to make anakin betray mace windu?

Of course, Sidious never looked like that before, but really he still looked like the emperor and we never seen his eyes and front...