What's your current favorite track in the whole wide world?

Morlock

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Current favorite: 'Anderton's Great Escape' from Minority Report. One of the best action cues of the past few years. It's fun, exciting, fresh and right on for the scene. JW in his element, reinventing himself. I thought I heard all the different kinds of action cues JW might have in him, but then this one came along. I don't quite understand the animosity many people have towards this score and this cue (though, to be fair, most of those people were Stefan).

Morlock- who often seemes to be the only person on this board to genuinly like every single JW score between Sabrina and War of the Worlds, and always seems to be the only one who thinks that MR is one of the scores that makes JW as great as he is

Morlock 2- who would love to pre-empt whatever comment Stefan will be making with some witty comment, but, for once, is not sure what direction he will be taking in his reply, if he replies at all

After hours deep in thought...

The Top-Ten Breakdown:

The Buffalo Hunt (Film Version) - Dances With Wolves/John Barry

Neodammerung - The Matrix Revolutions/Don Davis

The Clocktower - Back To The Future/Alan Silvestri

The Kitchen/The Orgy - Conan The Barbarian/Basil Poledouris

Tryouts - Rudy/Jerry Goldsmith

Main Title/Klingon Battle - Star Trek: The Motion Picture/Jerry Goldsmith

Hedwig's Theme - Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone/John Williams

Duel Of The Fates - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace/John Williams

The Asteroid Field - The Empire Strikes Back/John Williams

Desert Chase - Raiders of The Lost Ark/John Williams

after days deep in thought....

The Top-Five Breakdown:

The Clocktower - Back To The Future/Alan Silvestri

Hedwig's Theme - Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone/John Williams

after many a sleepless night...

The Top-Three Breakdown:

In the end though I have to go with Desert Chase simply because.....it's.....longest?

Justin

Current favorite:

'George sets the pace' from The Eiger Sanction, by John Williams. I liked George's theme in 'Training with George', but it sounds a bit too mock-Baroque. But then you get this track...starting out with that irresistable guitar version of the theme, joined by woodwinds, and then by some sort of harpsicord sounding instrument. Then at 1:09 it goes seemlessly to an 18 second woodwind passage that I just can't get enough of, after which the guitar comes in in a most graceful way, the melody dying down......and then restarting, with a larger ensamble, and then repeating the same passage from before, just this time by strings, with the guitar in the background, than repeating the theme a couple of more times in a classic Williams-esque manner of ending the track by kind of playing around a bit with the end of the theme.

Morlock- who wouldn't be surprised if this is the longest paragraph in existance talking about The Eiger Sanction's score. Well, I like it. David Shire does too.

Current favorite:

'George sets the pace' from The Eiger Sanction, by John Williams. I liked George's theme in 'Training with George', but it sounds a bit too mock-Baroque. But then you get this track...starting out with that irresistable guitar version of the theme, joined by woodwinds, and then by some sort of harpsicord sounding instrument. Then at 1:09 it goes seemlessly to an 18 second woodwind passage that I just can't get enough of, after which the guitar comes in in a most graceful way, the melody dying down......and then restarting, with a larger ensamble, and then repeating the same passage from before, just this time by strings, with the guitar in the background, than repeating the theme a couple of more times in a classic Williams-esque manner of ending the track by kind of playing around a bit with the end of the theme.

For those who don't know,George is a girl in the movie,playing George Kennedy's daughter,which I thought was the George character in the movie before seeing it on TV.And we see George's boobs twice,one of which is in that cue.

K.M.

I listened to "Battle of the Mounds" from Conan like 4 or 5 times in a row earlier. "Lunar Dreams" from Apollo 13 got a couple of listens, too. Should I be concerned that I associate that track with a girl I like? :)

For those who don't know,George is a girl in the movie,playing George Kennedy's daughter,which I thought was the George character in the movie before seeing it on TV.And we see George's boobs twice,one of which is in that cue.

I did not know that. You're just a font of information, aren't you?

Morlock- who until now assumed the cue was George Kennedy guiding Clint Eastwood up the mountain

My current favorite is Elfman's "Ice Dance" from Edward Scissorhands. The entire movie is a perfect combination of film and score, right up there with E.T. in that sense, and I see this piece/scene as somewhat of a focal point of each. Plus, it's just so darn beautiful!

Ray Barnsbury

My current favorite is Elfman's "Ice Dance" from Edward Scissorhands.  The entire movie is a perfect combination of film and score, right up there with E.T. in that sense, and I see this piece/scene as somewhat of a focal point of each.  Plus, it's just so darn beautiful!

I think that that is the only scene in the entire movie to be a perfect combination. Except for it, the score seriously outclasses the film.

The entire movie is a perfect combination of film and score, right up there with E.T.

I'm not the biggest E.T. fan in the world and even I find that remark insulting. ;)

Neil

Just to clarify, I was saying it's the way the film and score work to together in Scissorhands that's nearly as perfect as the film/score combination in E.T.; not that Scissorhands is as good a film or score as E.T.

Ray Barnsbury

Just to clarify, I was saying it's the way the film and score work to together in Scissorhands that's nearly as perfect as the film/score combination in E.T.; not that Scissorhands is as good a film or score as E.T.

Ray Barnsbury

At the risk of insulting Spock, I'd say the score is as good.

• 2 weeks later...

Current favorite is the title track from Conspiracy Theory. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this score, but it sure as heck wasn't this. I just love this track.

The concert version of Throne Room from the Skywalker Symphony CD (which I only got today).

The one with the endless horrible repeats and nasty modulations??? There's no accounting for taste. I'm sorry, we're all pouring our hearts out here and sharing our innermost loves and normally I would just bite my tongue, but I really hate that piece! What's wrong with the movie version? :D

My choice: Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis by Vaughan Williams. It just gives me chills.

I concur!

Max-who has played a variation on that theme in Sketches on a Tudor Psalm

The following are the tracks that kept me obsessed over the last summer:

2 months ago - Kyrie from Mass in C Minor (Mozart)

1 month ago - allegro from Madrigal Concerto for 4 guitars and Orchestra (Joaquín Rodrigo)

2 weeks ago - For Gillian from the Fury (John Williams)

1 week ago - The Hymn from Akhnaten (Philip Glass)

at the present time - Laura's Theme from Silent Hill 2 (Akira Yamaoka)

• 3 months later...

'An Invitation to the ball' from The Count of Monte Cristo by Ed Shearmur. I hadn't listened to this score in a while, but reading through Doug Fake's old rumbling (available at Intrada's new forums), he praised the score, so I decided to give it a second chance. It did grab me in particular, but this one cue is just a fun, infectous, irresistable scherzo.

Okay I've changed my mind, I don't have just ONE FAVORITE track in the whole world....I got several favorite tracks...these are from Revenge Of The Sith though.

Battle Over Coruscant -full original version

Good-bye Old Friend - full original version

Going To Utapau

I Am The Senate

Heroes Collide - Yoda Falls

The Boys Continue

Basically the best cues. :baaa:

Currently, Narnia's "The Battle"...giddiness!

Oh, and the last minute and a half or so of King Kong's "It's Deserted"...vintage JNH action music, and some of the best ever. :)

Ray Barnsbury - who will get to know Munich better in the next few days

I still love the Sheamur track from before, but I've got a new one- 'Celebration' from The Missouri Breaks by JW. A wonderful little hoe down, with a really great western melody coming in at 20 seconds. Just a fun little track.

Currently, Narnia's "The Battle"...giddiness!

Oh, and the last minute and a half or so of King Kong's "It's Deserted"...vintage JNH action music, and some of the best ever. :)

beerchug

~Sturgis

Secrets of the Castle from Prisoner of Azkaban. The first half is a dark and hauntingly beautiful arrangement of the Double Trouble and Hedwig themes. Plus, the oboe bit never fails to give me the chills.

If it's the track I think,,then it's Willliams most Hillbilly track

You say that as if it's a bad thing! (It is indeed that track)

Secrets of the Castle from Prisoner of Azkaban. The first half is a dark and hauntingly beautiful arrangement of the Double Trouble and Hedwig themes. Plus, the oboe bit never fails to give me the chills.

A wonderful, wonderful track. A nice, dark version of Double Trouble, with hints of Hedwig's theme, and than....the fun begins. The funnest and most mischievous version of Double Trouble yet, with the voices to back it up. Silence- and then it starts. That woodwind run caught my attention more than any other cue in the film. Wonderful, brief moment. The kind of piece that really tells me JW had a good time writing the score- going that extra effort for a tiny little piece of film.