Williams' Superman and Goldsmith's Supergirl

Quintus

With the Superman theme passing with ease into the mind of popular culture and Goldsmiths underrated Supergirl theme being wrongly brushed under the shite (yet strangely entertaining) film carpet, is this perhaps the only time that Williams and Goldsmith have actually gone head-to-head, in terms of musical genre? I cannot think of another time that the two greats actually worked on a project which featured very similar material, so surely Goldsmith felt like he had a challenge on his hands when he scored Supergirl. After all, he was indirectly following up a Williams bonifide classic. Jerry must have taken this into thoughtful consideration when he sat to write his interpretation of the S-chested hero. For all he knew, Supergirl might turn into another big franchise and actually rocket him into the summer blockbuster trend of the '80s, which he must have secretley wanted, seeing as he took the project on in the first place. He knew he had a hell of an act to follow in terms of iconic theme tunes.

So as good as the Supergirl theme may actually be (terrible synth whooshes accepted), do you think Goldsmith ultimately failed when compared to one of Williams' finest, or was he merely a victim (again!) of the great score/theme - shit film syndrome?

I agree, but if Supergirl had actually been successful (God forbid), then I could actually see the theme as being part of eighties popular culture, in the same way the Superman theme is. As much as we movie music fans love our shit, it IS dictated to an extent, by a films success. If Superman had flopped, then the theme would've most likey vanished with it. Apart from the die-hard fans who love the stuff regardless, myself included. Supergirl's theme IS a quality and catchy piece of music in the same vein as the Williams theme, just less accomplished.

Successful films or franchises make the music sink in.

I think it's also the same with "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "King Solomon's Mines".

I love the Raiders March and the score by Williams but I always thought that Jerry's March for Quatermain is also VERY entertaining and the rest of the score is really great adventure music too with a beautiful B-Theme for the Upside Down People.

Nemesis

I could see Supergirl's theme being part of the 80's pop culture if the movie was successful, but not in a Superman kind of way. To me, the theme sounds very campy, in an 80's sort of way. It's not sincere enough to be remembered in a Superman kind of way. King Solomon's Mines I think is a fantastic score, and I am very fond of the theme. But I think the principle melody does not cry out 'our hero!' enough in order to be in the same league as the Raiders march, which IMO is the most wonderful heroic theme there is, and a theme that really adds something to the character, an endearing quality.i

I could see Supergirl's theme being part of the 80's pop culture if the movie was successful, but not in a Superman kind of way. To me, the theme sounds very campy, in an 80's sort of way. It's not sincere enough to be remembered in a Superman kind of way.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. But if the Superman movie had failed to recieve its audience, I'd bet that the main theme would be judged in the same way. In an overly pompous kind of way.

Supergirl and King Solomon's mines,while good, don't even compare to Superman and Raiders of the Lost Ark.In fact,these are the 2 scores that forever cemented in my head that Jerry Goldsmith is #2 compared to John Williams.

K.M.

The theme is one of Goldsmith's greatest and most original ones. Btw I love the synth wooshes!! (I think you mean those in Street Attack?)

MSM - who remembers he still owes Miguel a copy..

So as good as the Supergirl theme may actually be (terrible synth whooshes accepted

I remember that I wanted to get this score badly after hearing those "whooshes" back in 1984. Those were the days.

Supergirl is one of my all-time favourite scores for a very entertaining film.

I find it very hard to watch. Like Morlock said about the soundtrack, it's all too campy. It certainly didn't stand the test of time.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, at least both scores more or less suck in the sound department.

As if iconic comic heroes had an unfortunate alliance with bad mixing. Apart from that, 'Supergirl' simply lacks any epic qualities...the whole first third of 'Superman' and much beloved by any disciplined Williams fan.

Apart from that, i would say the `Superman`march is a much richer composition, but i yawn through everything after 'Fortress of Solitude', while i certainly appreciate Goldsmiths' far punchier action music.

The really noteworthy thing are these neverdying threads here or at FSM: you could discuss brilliant scores, old and new, and get 10 meager replies. Type in 'SUPERMAN- or GIRL'...and you've got a multiple page thread rolling...

• 14 years later...
28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Was there ever an expansion of this score?

Yes, the Silva release of 1993 was an early expansion. 76 minutes, compared to the 40-minute Varese. I had the Silva once, but it was far too long and meandering, so I sold it. I've been looking for a digital version of the OST instead, but it's very hard to find.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've been looking for a digital version of the OST instead, but it's very hard to find.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

I have the digital version on CD.

Perhaps you could copy it onto tape for Thor, and send it with the fastest ocean liner available.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I have the eight minute Roy Budd suite.

What's it like?

Supergirl as a film is fun if you switch your brain off. I'd rather watch it than Lester's SII abomination.

The score is terrific! Flying Ballet is gorgeous, with or without the visuals. One of the earliest Goldsmith scores I picked up on (along with ST: TMP,  Legend and NIMH). I'm sorry I missed out on the Varese CD back in the day, but I fortunately have two copies of the Silva (UK and US releases).

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Supergirl as a film is fun if you switch your brain off. I'd rather watch it than Lester's SII abomination.

Supergirl is a masterclass at how NOT to make a movie. Every single creative choice is wrong.

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Supergirl is a masterclass at how NOT to make a movie. Every single creative choice is wrong.

Leslie Halliwell for one disagrees with you. Supergirl got one star, Superman The Movie got zero, as did the three sequels.

And I never said it was a good movie, I said it was fun to watch.

36 minutes ago, publicist said:

Supergirl is insufferable, but Faye Dunaway, Peter O'Toole and Brenda Vaccaro give it a special slant towards the demented. It's just not right seeing Lawrence of Arabia as 'Zoltar'.

Oh this explains why Chen hates it so much. It taints his memory of his hero.

I don't even like Lawrence of Arabia that much. I didn't even give it a full five stars!

49 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's just not right seeing Lawrence of Arabia as 'Zoltar'.

Brother!