How Big Is Your John Williams Collection?

Damo

If "lenticular" means shoddily constructed with 98% chance of breaking the first time you open them, then yes, they do have lenticular covers.

To elaborate on Demond10's question, how is "The Fury"? Is it a dissonant score, or what?

If "lenticular" means shoddily constructed with 98% chance of breaking the first time you open them, then yes, they do have lenticular covers.

To elaborate on Demond10's question, how is "The Fury"? Is it a dissonant score, or what?

Doesn't really matter what the score's like if you're actually willing to shell out over $100 for it.

The Sony editions of the Original Trilogy are exactly those of the RCA Special Editions. However, if you want extensive liner notes I recommend hunting down the RCA Special Editions.

Yea, Ive got the RCA...so there is no need to buy the sony reissues?

Indeed there is no need to buy the Sony ones. I only bought them because the time I moved and they were released I didn't have any of the OT scores as my previous copy of the RCA sets didn't survive the trip up here. Luckily short time after that I managed to snag a copy of the RCA versions (because I liked the liner notes) off ebay for $20 shipped and it was sealed.

Bloody disc destroying sleeves. I had to rebuy ANH in a jewel case because the discs started skipping so bad, and I'm surprised my copy of ESB still plays right as scratched up as it is. Years ago I took them out of the booklet for good and put them in a jewel case. Fortunately when I bought Jedi all I could get was the jewel case.

SE.jpg

Oh...that does suck.

So, question: I bought the 2004 RotJ release because I was an uninformed buyer and I didn't know it didn't include liner notes. I saw a used version of the original SE, complete with liner notes, for 12 dollars. Is it worth it?

Your Indy box is still sealed and unopened?

No, its open, I Just left the shrinkwrap on. I do that sometimes. You only have to tear it enough to get the discs out

I ended up laminating the slipcases that fit over the RCA book style cases.

I haven't had any problems with scratching my discs.

Post pictures people, not words. :)

My Williams collection is spread out among all my CDs. I don't keep all of his together.

I ended up laminating the slipcases that fit over the RCA book style cases.

I haven't had any problems with scratching my discs.

Can you post a picture of that? I'd love to see how that works.

They are alphabetically

What? Seriously?! You have Jaws, Star Wars, then like Superman and Heartbeeps, them more Star Wars. How is that alphabetical? And why is like a small handful of JW scores five rows down from the rest?

It's alpha by composer, then chronological within each composer

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=509144

If it's alphabetical by composer, why is JW at the top, and some towards the bottom? And why did you link my post? My JW CD's are split among rows because they don't fit in 1 row. It continues from the second into the third. Not the first into the fifth.

It's alpha by composer, then chronological within each composer

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=509144

If it's alphabetical by composer, why is JW at the top, and some towards the bottom? And why did you link my post? My JW CD's are split among rows because they don't fit in 1 row. It continues from the second into the third. Not the first into the fifth.

Because I had so many JW CDs, and he's my favorite composer anyway, I separated them out and put them on the top. They've taken up an entire row for a long time. The second batch of JW CDs further down is overflow that no longer fits on the top row. They are not OSTS - well, the first 4 are the 1993 anthology, but that is hard to keep above. Where would I put disc 4? They rest are all rerecordings - JW & The Pops, Gerhardt rerecordings, JW/Spielberg collaborations, etc.

My Williams collection is spread out among all my CDs. I don't keep all of his together.

What's with people and their weirdly organized CD's? Jason has them all over! Why not just organize them alphabetically?

Even if I did organize mine alphabetically it would be by title and not composer.

I have mine organized this way (with the titles in alphabetical order)

Box Sets

FSM

Varese - dark spines then new white

Varese CD Club

Intrada

LaLaLand

Prometheus

Marco Polo/ Naxos/Tribute

Silva Screen

Then I have the balance arranged by genre: Star Wars, Star Trek, Godzilla & Monsters, Harry Potter, Super Heroes, Alien/Sci-Fi/horror, Westerns, Action, War and compilations.

I like the way it looks and I thought it was a fun way to do it.

I organize by artist, but within the domain of the artists there is no organization (except that if a franchise was scored by the same composer, I stick those CDs together).

What's with people and their weirdly organized CD's? Jason has them all over! Why not just organize them alphabetically?

Even if I did organize mine alphabetically it would be by title and not composer.

Do both!

Bloody disc destroying sleeves. I had to rebuy ANH in a jewel case because the discs started skipping so bad, and I'm surprised my copy of ESB still plays right as scratched up as it is. Years ago I took them out of the booklet for good and put them in a jewel case. Fortunately when I bought Jedi all I could get was the jewel case.

I bought the RCA Jedi in Jewlcase back in 97 and my disc 1 has little spots where the paint is coming off on the top... making the disc skip so its not only the folks who got the booklet versions that have had problems over time.

J Moss - Who is almost ashamed to show his collection as he hasn't collected barely at all since he got married 3 years ago.

Why alphabetically? Chronologically makes more sense!

My collection isn't very big and I'm not a "completionist"

(although I try to obtain as many different pressings as I can for certain titles).

I hardly have any pre-1975 OSTs, and wouldn't mind having more boots

(DVD sourced ones are iffy though)...

79 OST CD Pressings (56 Titles + reissues / deluxe editions / promos)

8 Concert Works CD Pressings (7 Boston Pops + 1 LSO)

1 Box Set - CD Pressings

8 OST CD-R Titles

5 Concert Works CD-Rs

9 Prerecorded audio cassettes (7 OSTs + 2 Concert Works)

7 OST LPs

1 OST 45 rpm single

That's very interesting. What single is it? I have two Williams singles: "Theme From C.E.3.K." b/w "Nocturnal Pursuit" British picture sleeve, and (and I'm rather proud of this) "Midway March" b/w "Men Of The Yorktown March" Japanese, with original insert, and plastic sleeve. I also have The D.C.C. "Raiders" 2-L.P. set, which sounds too good for words!

• 8 years later...

I'm starting to have a good CD collection, maybe not the greatest (I started late!)... but "okay" for a fan, I'm not ashamed anymore! :-)

If I count the items (CDs and CD boxsets) of his discography as a performer, I'm currently at... 136.

I can add 1 for Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, although we all know it's not conducted by John Williams... And I don't own any of the other 5 soundtracks he wrote but didn't conduct himself (Wagon Train [co-wrote], M Squad [co-wrote], Thomas and the King, Superman IV and None but the Brave).

So, 137.

Of course I have some CDs of re-recordings conducted by others, but it's quite marginal in my collection.

So not bad, but I can do better, I know ;-)

I haven't done a count in years. I'm guessing some 200-250 in physical items (of Williams-related material), and then lots more in file format.

I wish I had more scores... but then again, I don't read music.

CD wise I lost count! I do plan to spend sometime next week reorganizing the several shelves of John Williams and John Williams related CDs. Will probably count them by then.

LP wise, last time I counted was over a 100 items. Also have some half dozen tapes...

Has anyone got an original USA vinyl pressing of STAR WARS? Apparently, the disc-sides were numbered 1-3, and 2-4, and the tracks were interspersed with snippets of dialogue (something that was not on UK releases).

Also, who has all these "STORY OF..." releases?

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Has anyone got an original USA vinyl pressing of STAR WARS?

Yep!

Apparently, the disc-sides were numbered 1-3, and 2-4

I don't *think* so...

, and the tracks were interspersed with snippets of dialogue

Nope, absolutely not!

Has anyone got an original USA vinyl pressing of STAR WARS? Apparently, the disc-sides were numbered 1-3, and 2-4, and the tracks were interspersed with snippets of dialogue (something that was not on UK releases).

Also, who has all these "STORY OF..." releases?

I have the "Story of" for Return of the Jedi.  One of the only vinyl albums I own - don't own a turntable, but held onto that one since childhood.

Where do you read that kind of stuff?

@Richard, I added all those children "Audio stories" to my discography, the ones that where released in USA... because the music of John Williams is always used.

For reasons of relevance, I deliberately excluded "Audio books". Over one hundred Star Wars audio books have been published since the 1990s and most of them uses the original music composed and performed by John Williams... I think it's pretty irrelevant in a discography.

That was not an easy information to collect... but I think I have them all in my discography.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Audio_stories

For example, here's the entry for the first Star Wars movie:

p_t550.jpg

The Story of Star Wars (1977, 20th Century Fox Records, T-550)

Original music from the motion picture composed and performed by John Williams.

p_pr103.jpg

(Released in 1977, 20th Century Fox Records, PR-103, Picture disc)

p_62101.jpg

(Reissued in 1977, Buena Vista Records, 62101)

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

I used to have the top one. As for the bottom one, even in 1977, The Mouse was getting a foothold.

I had the three movies like that when I was young! But in french... I loved these stories!!! My first "contact" with John Williams's music on disc!

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

For reasons of relevance, I deliberately excluded "Audio books". Over one hundred Star Wars audio books have been published since the 1990s and most of them uses the original music composed and performed by John Williams... I think it's pretty irrelevant in a discography.

Pfff... And then you keep on bragging about the completeness of your website...

22 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Pfff... And then you keep on bragging about the completeness of your website...

I know, but hey, I have this Michael Jackson album in my discography! :D

p_mca70000.jpg

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982, MCA Records, MCA 70000)

Original music from the motion picture composed and performed by John Williams; Storybook narrated by Michael Jackson.