Lost

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also explained why Tom told Kate she wasn't his type.

Mr. Very Friendly indeed.

The writers said the episode where they would break off had a huge cliffhanger, and it did. I knew someone was going to die, and when it came to the closing minutes of the episode I was like oh they're just gonna knock some random person off. I'm fine with Karl dying, but Rousseau?! I really hope she's not dead, and I don't think she is either. So much to explain about her character, and I recall the writers saying she would get her own episode.

Well there were rumors that he was.

True, I hope it wasn't her. My memory of the first season is foggy, I don't recall getting a flashback episode for her.

Now I'm curious how Locke saw a much older Walt on the island. See I always thought Ben knew the ship was coming when he gave Michael the boat and the cord. to be rescued and I figured he met the boat on his way out but had secret orders to stay onboard and sabotage, that's why Walt was still on the island.

I would say the "Others". We still don't know their whole story yet and what happened to them after they left the village.

Now the key is whether or not Ben sent them into a trap knowing they would be killed or whether he truly was trying to save them.

Now I'm curious how Locke saw a much older Walt on the island. See I always thought Ben knew the ship was coming when he gave Michael the boat and the cord. to be rescued and I figured he met the boat on his way out but had secret orders to stay onboard and sabotage, that's why Walt was still on the island.

Walt was never actually on the island at the time, it was just the island manifesting itself as Walt to help Locke (similar to when Shannon Rutherford saw him wet and talking backwards). I suppose he appeared older because he actually was older back on the mainland, also similar to when Shannon saw him since he had just been kidnapped in the ocean (hence the wetness).

Now the key is whether or not Ben sent them into a trap knowing they would be killed or whether he truly was trying to save them.

True.

I was thinking that maybe Ben wanted to get rid of the mom and boyfriend, telling the shooters to spare Alex.

Regarding spoiler text, are we supposed to do it for any information, even if it's already been broadcast, or just theories/rumors for upcoming episodes?

Regarding spoiler text, are we supposed to do it for any information, even if it's already been broadcast, or just theories/rumors for upcoming episodes?

I don't get the need for the spoiler text after an episode has aired.

Just a note in the thread title that new episodes are discussed when aired is more tha enough warning,

If you regularly watch the show, stay out of the thread until you have seen the latest episode.

Isn't that what everyone does anyway?

Are there actually people reading this thread and NOT looking at what's in the spoiler text?

I'm betting no!

:sigh:

I wouldnt read the thread if I didn't watch the show or was late in my episodes. I already stated spoiler text is ridiculous in thereads like these ,but apparently it's part of good internet etiquette

My money is on Ben knowing what was going to happen. Like he said earlier in the episode, he refuses to kill innocent people. But when has he ever flinched from setting them up to be killed by others?

Yeah screw the spoiler text. We've all seen the episode if we're discussing it. If you haven't, stay out till you have.

I'm pretty sure Ben knew what was going to happen and wanted Karl and Rousseau dead. One thing has been bugging me though about Ben and Rousseau. Ben continues to refer to Alex as his daughter, she continues to call him Dad. Rousseau does not object to this. If I was in her position I would punch Ben in the face and yell "She's not your daughter!" There must be some past between them.

If I was in her position I would punch Ben in the face and yell "She's not your daughter!"

Which is exactly what she did in The Beginning of the End.

I just wish Sawyer would shoot Ben. Of course that does not make for good drama since it would relieve the castaways of their main nemesis. On the other hand, they could off Ben and they would still have Penelope's dad to contend with. In fact, (this is just a guess) I would surmise that Ben won't make it out of this season alive. I think the LOST writers will shift the focus of the threat onto the new freighter people as opposed to the Others.

I think the season finale would be that the freighter people end up killing all of the others and the Oceanic survivors have to go to war with them.

THat's just a guess...but the writers do seem to shift the emphasis and direction of the storyline in LOST a fair bit so I would not be surprised to see something like this occur.

We've already seen Ben get off the island, and the fact of the matter is is that he's too big of a commodity to be killed off. He'll live.

My brother and I were disappointed by this episode. Sure, it explained what Michael is doing on the boat but nothing else actually happened. It wasn't a cliffhanger either - it felt like there was another 5 minutes in that.

It seems it's the island that lets you die or not. I wonder what you have to do to become expendable .Charlie's death was unavoidable,and Michael can't kill himself even if he wanted to .

Well, we did learn a few episodes ago that he also has "daddy issues" and that he cried during his sessions with the shrink Other.

I have a problem with the hotel scene. Tom being gay is no big deal, but the way it was executed bordered on cringe-worthy: "Arturo", "indulge", the kiss and the laugh... Anybody else got a "shoe-horn!" alert? Maybe to please some group that wanted some recognition on the show?

Apparently, this was another planned "secret." He'd already told Kate she's "not his type" in season 3.

I didn't really catch on to it then

Yeah, they have like thousands of plots going on and each of them has like dozens of secrets which just spawn further secrets. Why is Tom's sexuality suddenly relevant to the plot?

At the time he said it to Kate some of the Lost message boards and entertainment web sites started talking about him being gay.

I never speculated that. But it shows how they have every single detail mapped out. People always say they're making it up as they go along, but they have known exactly what they were gonna do since the pilot.

If you have seen the webisodes on abc.com before Season 4, the very last one deals with something before the opening shot of the Pilot. I always knew that white shoe in the tree was relevant to something.

I found this latest episode much better than last week's which was the weakest of the bunch thus far this season. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the fact that Paik was Jin's former boss and the parallel action was two different time periods. Interesting. Almost brilliant narrative twist. LOST is one helluva show.

I thought that Julliet's episode was harmless....but that the Sun/Jun episode was the worst in a while. The twist felt totally and entirely arbitrary, for the sake of itself. Of course, every time they do a twist it's for the sake of itself....but this one felt particularly insincere. I did not like the twist at all. Jin is in there exclusively for the twist.

Best thing about the episode for me was the score. Loved the cues for the first two Jin scenes (Toy shop, the cab, than the toy shop again).

Anyhoo, I just this instant finished episode eight....I watched all eight in a few days. I'm glad I did it like this...saw all of the third season (for the first time) a couple of months ago, than the first eight now. This'll be the first time I'll be watching Lost on a week to week basis...should be an interesting experience.

Like what I'm seeing so far, and I enjoyed going through the discussion here.

My favorite cast addition to the show is ....Ken Leung- love the energy he brings to the show. He's always fantastic.

And I loved the Vonnegut reference! While watching 'The Constant', I thought that it totally resembled Slaughter House 5...and than they said 'unstuck in time', which sealed the reference. And I loved their acknowledgement of the reference in the latest episode.

Otherwise....nothing new add. Look forward to people's reviews of the coming episodes.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. It will stretch this season out a little longer, which will be good considering the writers' strike damage.

Didn't expect this. My brother and I thought the last episode was the end and that it sucked as a finale. Glad to hear it isn't.

Reminds me of the impending season 3 score CD - just over 2 weeks now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to avoid spoilers here so I won't read the rest, but could someone tell me whose or what theme is played in track 5 of the Season 2 CD (Mess it all up)? Does it appear anywhere else?

And also the theme in The Last to Know (track 18), what's that?

I often enjoy the Lost CDs but I haven't taken the trouble to figure out what theme is whose...

Edit: Forgot about the final track, Bon Voyage Traitor! What theme is that at the beginning (and later on on cello (I think))? Now that's my favourite theme. I also think that's one of the best tracks on the CDs, and a splendid ending.

There are many CDs that have great openings, but not so much CDs, in my opinion, that have great endings. Those last 30 seconds are really well done.

I hope I'm recalling this correctly...

I'm trying to avoid spoilers here so I won't read the rest, but could someone tell me whose or what theme is played in track 5 of the Season 2 CD (Mess it all up)? Does it appear anywhere else?

It's a sad theme for Hurley here, but I think it's appeared several times in the series in other places to underscore sadness or grief.

And also the theme in The Last to Know (track 18), what's that?

It's a theme related to Mr. Eko and faith.

Forgot about the final track, Bon Voyage Traitor! What theme is that at the beginning (and later on on cello (I think))? Now that's my favourite theme.

It underscores

Michael and Walt's reunion and them leaving the island.

Thanks! I've seen seasons 1-3 but thanks for the spoiler tags anyway.

I think I was hoping that these themes would be for more major characters or things, and that they would appear more on the upcoming CD and season 4.

I asked about that a while ago, and no one seemed interested! I've been able to figure out several from the Season 1 soundtrack, but I'd love a complete list.

Mr Breathmask, I have to disagree with your analysis.

'The Last To Know' is entirely Sun and Jin's theme. I don't think it's used in the first series, which is why I think it's more to do with their unborn child - it was used in their latest episode, superbly cut with Jack's theme at the end.

And the opening theme of Bon Voyage Traitor was a new theme for then, yes it poignantly and interestingly scored Michael's reuinion with Walkt. I was glad to hear startling new material for a such a scene. But it was used for Desmond's love of Penny in that episode. It has since been used in Desmond's latest episode for that same narrative theme, but not for Michael and Walt - it definately is Desmond and Penny's theme.

I don't think the characters have themes!! Or else there would be boring track titles like "Jack's Theme."

A lot of the repeating music is used to symbolize more of a type of event rather than a character. Like if someone dies, people are sad, you play "blank" while people are moving in slow motion on the beach.

The only true theme I've identified is with Hurley. He always has this corky chicken music theme playing.

There are suspense themes, especially in the first seasons there was 1 cue that would play at the end of an episode. It would build up with the cliffhanger ending and finish off loudly as the screen cut blank. I love that one. I'm not very fond of the titles of cues from Lost, but what I'm talking about here is the music played in the Season 1 finale cliffhanger.

I don't think the characters have themes!! Or else there would be boring track titles like "Jack's Theme."

A lot of the repeating music is used to symbolize more of a type of event rather than a character. Like if someone dies, people are sad, you play "blank" while people are moving in slow motion on the beach.

The only true theme I've identified is with Hurley. He always has this corky chicken music theme playing.

There are suspense themes, especially in the first seasons there was 1 cue that would play at the end of an episode. It would build up with the cliffhanger ending and finish off loudly as the screen cut blank. I love that one. I'm not very fond of the titles of cues from Lost, but what I'm talking about here is the music played in the Season 1 finale cliffhanger.

I was being sarcastic for most of that post. There are character themes, but there are also certain cues Giacchino uses for scene content rather than characters. Like I said, there is a particular "cliffhanger" cue.