National Anthems

ashinyobject

The Williams arrangement was available as a promotional recording at Hal Leonard's site, with an anoying bip every 20 seconds -- still quiet listenable.

There's also an oficial recording performed by an japanese ensemble (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KICC-407 and http://jwfan.com/modules.php?op=modload&na...rticle&sid=450) but haven't got it yet, as I just find it too much money to pay for onlt two Williams tracks -- not that they don't are worthy my money, but when one spends so much in diapers...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Soviet National Anthem wins hands down.....easily.

Don't get me wrong, the current incarnation in the form of the Russian National Anthem is great, but there's just something about that old Red Army Version that's spectacular.

I LOOOVE Finlandia. I performed it last semester in college... really great piece...

Personally, I love all the songs that the countries entered the Olympics to this year...

FunkyTown, Don't Misunderstand Me, Disco Inferno... great stuff :-p

I LOOOVE Finlandia. I performed it last semester in college... really great piece...

Personally, I love all the songs that the countries entered the Olympics to this year...

FunkyTown, Don't Misunderstand Me, Disco Inferno... great stuff :-p

Yeah, the opening ceremonies for these Olympics were slightly.........strange this year - especially with the inclusion of said pop songs. Although I do applaud the organizers for showing the contrasting features of two cultural eras [in art and music] of the Baroque and Futurist periods. It was a strange Juxtaposition, but it worked for me.

• 1 year later...
In no particular order:

U.S.A. - The Star Spangled Banner

Italy - Fratelli D'Italia

France - La Marseillaise

England - God Save the Queen

Spain (don't know the name - I heard it so many times last year thanks to Fernando Alonso wink.gif )

Germany (don't know the name - in the past years I heard it so many times thanks to Michael Schumacher that I consider it as a kind of second Italian anthem smile.gif )

Be sure to check out the Jimi Hendrix's version of the American anthem, played live in Woodstock on Monday 18 August 1969. wink.gif

I must add the Brazilian one! It's catchy, I found myself whistling it after a couple of Massa's wins.

The Spanish one is called "Marcha Real" and yes Manuel, it actually has lyrics.

The German one is called "Deutschland Über Alles".

Miguel, I don't know if you were talking about the New Japan Philarmonic when you cited the small japanes ensemble, but I heard some of their arrangement and they were very good. Too bad the quality isn't that great.

Their version of the Spanish anthem is the best I found, because is fast, and sometimes this wonderful anthem is played a lot slower.

It's a pity that this japanese version had vocals, because I prefer it to be instumental...

Why good quality version of National Anthems are so hard to find?

I wish I could find the Anthems I listed before (plus the Brazilian one) in high quality, both instrumental and sung.

I actually have our Italian anthem, but it would be good to have all of them played by the same orchestra, so they sound all the same...

isnt the German one actually a Hadyn piece?

It is. It used to be the anthem for the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy, but somehow the Germans ended up with it, while we're now stuck with that bland Mozart-but-not-Mozart piece.

The German one is called "Deutschland Über Alles".

No, that's the beginning of the first verse of the song, which is not part of the national anthem. The current anthem is only the third verse, and it's called "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit".

Spain (don't know the name - I heard it so many times last year thanks to Fernando Alonso

The Spanish one is called "Marcha Real" and yes Manuel, it actually has lyrics.

Their version of the Spanish anthem is the best I found, because is fast, and sometimes this wonderful anthem is played a lot slower.

It's a pity that this japanese version had vocals, because I prefer it to be instumental...

I have never been teached the lyrics. Neither anyone I know.

There is even some debate in the congress because they want to put lyrics to it. And they dont seem to agree on them.

Heck you have made me look in the web:

Here is what the constitution says: click

"El Himno Nacional de España es conocido tradicionalmente por "Marcha Granadera" o "Marcha Real Española". No tiene letra, sólo música. Existen dos versiones: la completa y la breve, y cualquiera de ellas debe interpretarse siempre íntegramente y de una sola vez."

The Spanish National Anthem is traditionaly know as "Grenadiers March" (hehe, thinking about Empire of the sun and the Patriot right now :P ) or "Spanish Royal March". It does not have lyrics, just music. Two versions exist, the full and the short one, and both of them should be performed complete from start to end.

Can you send me this japanese version?

Let's see what the Japs say... :lol:

The II Republic had a different hymn, with lyrics. But i dont think you could confuse it, they are radically different.

On a side note, once a year or so ago, the Republic hymn was played after a tenis match. By trumpetist Jim Morrison (thank god, not Tim morrison). The Spanish players were like: :huh:

It's not a japanese arrangement or with japanese lyrics, Manuel, it's just a classic version played by a japanese classic orchestra, called New Japan Philarmonic.

I don't know how official this can be, but I heard several versions with lyrics. If you go to this Wikipedia link, you see two different versions of the "Marcha Real" lyrics, though I don't know how often they sing them, or even if they actually sing them.

What I know is that it's a lot easier to listen or find an instrumental version of you wonderful anthem. :lol:

It's not a japanese arrangement or with japanese lyrics, Manuel, it's just a classic version played by a japanese classic orchestra, called New Japan Philarmonic.

I don't know how official this can be, but I heard several versions with lyrics. If you go to this Wikipedia link, you see two different versions of the "Marcha Real" lyrics, though I don't know how often they sing them, or even if they actually sing them.

What I know is that it's a lot easier to listen or find an instrumental version of you wonderful anthem. :lol:

Well, as i said i have never heard it sung.

But of those two lyrics you posted, well the Franco one cannot be performed nowadays...

it's as if the Nazi anthem was played for Germany...

The 1st one is more politically correct.. it just describes the flag... THough it uses Purple instead of red. I think in the past 'Purpura' was a poetic way of saying red.

I want Williams arrangement! :huh:

I want Williams arrangement! :lol:

Yeah, that would be kick-ass!

But I don't think Williams cares about Spain (or Italy or other Anthems). It's a shame, because he made various kind of works, and Anthems are classical music, so why not... :huh:

I know Israel's only through Munich, and that arrangement is quite beautiful. I like the Star Spangled Banner, but I've always thought America the Beautiful is the better and more fitting tune.

Why good quality version of National Anthems are so hard to find?

I wish I could find the Anthems I listed before (plus the Brazilian one) in high quality, both instrumental and sung.

I actually have our Italian anthem, but it would be good to have all of them played by the same orchestra, so they sound all the same...

The complete national anthems of the world are available on CD from Marco Polo (part of the budget-but-good Naxos label) in eight volumes. Click here for a link to the first volume in the series, from where I am sure you can locate the others.

I have only seen one review of them, but it was very complimentary. I have a few film music recordings by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra and they seem to know what they're doing.

:blink:

I love the Dutch National Anthem:

Nederland oh Nederland.

Jij bent de kampioen.

Wij houden van Oranje.

Om zijn daden en zijn doen.

Straks als het Rood-Wit-Blauw.

Voor ons wordt gehesen.

Dan zijn wij 'n groot gezin.

Met goud zijn wij geprezen.

Netherlands oh Netherlands.

You're the champion.

We love Orange.

Because of its deeds and its doings.

Later when the red-white-blue.

will be hoisted for us.

Then we're a big family.

With gold we're praised.

The Netherlands is (or are? :blink: ) one of those rare countries that have the "sport colour" which isn't featured on the flag. There's no orange in The Netherland's flag as well there's no blue on Italy's flag.

This has nothing to do with national anthems, but I like the Dutch anthem as well.

Mirko - watching those 11 blue dressed guys against those other 11 white guys.

The Netherlands is (or are? :blink: ) one of those rare countries that have the "sport colour" which isn't featured on the flag. There's no orange in The Netherland's flag as well there's no blue on Italy's flag.

This has nothing to do with national anthems, but I like the Dutch anthem as well.

Mirko - watching those 11 blue dressed guys against those other 11 white guys.

Orange is our national color, in honor of William of Orange, who defeated the tyrant Molor and forged the Klingon Empir...eeeehhhh....

isnt the dutch flag Blue, white and orange?

or the Navy flag? I think i have seen paintings of old galleons with that...

It seems it was an old flag (created arround the Netherlands desertion from Spain :blink: )

Steef's Country Flag

;) plagiarism! :

click

:lol:

I would have to say Waltzing Mathilda! What a great song to have as an Anthem!

Hi Pixie

You do know that Waltzing Matilda is NOT Australia's National Anthem don't you? Australia's NA is actually ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR and it is best sung by a woman called Julie Anthony. Waltzing Matilda is a "bush ballard" that many people would like to see become our National Anthem. Here are the lyrics to both.

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR

Australians all let us rejoice,

For we are young and free;

We've golden soil and wealth for toil,

Our home is girt by sea;

Our land abounds in Nature's gifts

Of beauty rich and rare;

In history's page, let every stage

Advance Australia fair!

In joyful strains then let us sing,

"Advance Australia fair!"

When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,

To trace wide oceans o'er,

True British courage bore him on,

Till he landed on our shore.

Then here he raised Old England's flag,

The standard of the brave;

With all her faults we love her still,

"Brittannia rules the wave!"

In joyful strains then let us sing

Beneath our radiant southern Cross,

We'll toil with hearts and hands;

To make this Commonwealth of ours

Renowned of all the lands;

For those who've come across the seas

We've boundless plains to share;

With courage let us all combine

To advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe

Behold us from afar,

We'll rise to high renown and shine

Like our glorious southern star;

From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,

Who come our lot to share,

Let all combine with heart and hand

To advance Australia fair!

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,

Or dare a foot to land,

We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore

To guard our native strand;

Brittannia then shall surely know,

Beyond wide ocean's roll,

Her sons in fair Australia's land

Still keep a British soul.

In joyful strains the let us sing

WALTZING MATILDA

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,

Under the shade of a coolibah tree,

And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled

"Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda

Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me

And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled

Down came a jumbuck to drink from the billabong,

Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,

And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,

"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"

And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,

Up rode the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred,

Down came the troopers, one, two, three,

"Where's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?"

"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"

"Where's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",

Up jumped the swagman, leapt into the billabong,

"You'll never catch me alive," said he,

And his ghost may be heard as you pass by the billabong,

Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me

And his ghost may be heard as you pass by the billabong,

isnt the dutch flag Blue, white and orange?

You idiot!

It seems it was an old flag (created arround the Netherlands desertion from Spain :lol: )

Steef's Country Flag

Desertion....from the clutches of Catholic tyranny maybe!

:lol: plagiarism! :

click

:lol:

In what way?

I love the Dutch National Anthem:

Nederland oh Nederland.

Jij bent de kampioen.

Wij houden van Oranje.

Om zijn daden en zijn doen.

Straks als het Rood-Wit-Blauw.

Voor ons wordt gehesen.

Dan zijn wij 'n groot gezin.

Met goud zijn wij geprezen.

You're the champion.

We love Orange.

will be hoisted for us.

Then we're a big family.

With gold we're praised.

Ugh. :lol:

No matter what the country, usually the absolute most moving renditions are the ones you get before soccer matches. Especially the Hatikvah. There's just something about hearing 50,000+ people singing their country's anthem in unison that no orchestra on recording can match.

Like this one:

Guaranteed goosebumps.

You're the champion.

We love Orange.

will be hoisted for us.

Then we're a big family.

With gold we're praised.

WOW I hope something was lost in translation.

Funny thing...

Two years ago, I was asked to step in on short notice, and write an opera that an ailing colleague had originally been commissioned to write. His aesthetics and mine differ greatly, and he had originally intended a work without libretto (!), based on various ironic post-modernist tableaus. The premise of the piece was "Nationalism", good or bad, and different national anthems were to be played back in various distorted ways...

Well, when I took over, and jettisoned his ideas in favor of something at least trying to establish characters for the singers to portray, I bought a CD set of "All The World's National Anthems", and started to construct lyrics of my own by sampling and putting together snippets of text.

It was very illuminating!

First of all; some of the world's leading democracies have anthems which lyrics are so blatantly evil, war-hungry and despotic, that you would think they were written to serve Djenghis Khan, or Caligula.

Whereas the poorest third world countries are the ones who will jouyously sing "Let all come to (...), where they shall be welcomed as brothers and sisters, and we shall prosper in peace", etc.

Very touching!

As far as music goes, well Germany wins (it's Haydn, for Pete's sake!).

Israel, Russia and Sweden have good ones, as does the U.S., but its text is pure, simple, blood-thirsty balderdash!

I think a lot of Jerry Goldsmith's simpler 90's tunes could well have been adopted by counties in lieu of a proper anthem!

Kazakhstan greatest country in the world,

All other countries are run by little girls.

Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium,

all other countries have inferior potassium.

Kazakhstan home of Tinshein swimming pool,

it’s length thirty meter and width six meter.

Filtration system a marvel to behold.

It remove 83 percent of human solid waste.

Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan you very nice place,

From Plains of Tarashek to northern fence of Jewtown.

Kazakhstan friend of all except Uzbekistan,

They very nosey people with bone in their brain.

Kazakhstan industry best in the world,

we invented toffee and trouser belt.

Kazakhstan's prostitutes cleanest in the region,

except of course Turkmenistan's.

Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan you very nice place,

From Plains of Tarashek to northern fence of Jewtown.

Come grasp the might penis of our leader from junction with the testes to tip of its face!

I was at Wembley Stadium last night to watch the European Championship qualifier between England and Russia. As good as it was to hear God Save the Queen sung by the majority of the 86,000 crowd, I have to say that the Russian national anthem wins by a country mile (even if their team lost by the same margin).

Hearing the anthem sung by the few thousand Russian fans, led by singer Seija Knight, was a truly memorable experience.

:rolleyes: