• Far and Away
    • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
    • Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    • Seven Years in Tibet
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    • Angela's Ashes

In round one Stanley & Iris was voted off, round two Sabrina, round three Stepmom, round four Presumed Innocent, round five Sleepers, round six Nixon, round seven Rosewood, round eight Schindler's List, round nine Amistad, so place your votes for the next to go!

REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR LEAST FAVOURITE!!!!

Home Alone

Hook

JFK

Far and Away

Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Seven Years In Tibet

Saving Private Ryan

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

My vote goes to Far and Away.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saving Private Ryan, what a dismal score, and that Hymn for the Fallen is like shooting up saccharin.

Saving Private Ryan, what a dismal score, and that Hymn for the Fallen is like shooting up saccharin.

Listen to the HP Christmas music and then come to me and speak about saccharin. Hymn to the Fallen is beautiful and there is nothing sugary about it.

Hymn to the Fallen rings hollow of false sentiment,

HP is designed entirely for something different, but SPR is a drama, that isn't served well by its score, and as a seperate piece of music, its better as a dust collector.

Listen to the HP Christmas music and then come to me and speak about saccharin.

Or one of the "Christmas songs" from Home Alone 2. :|

Hymn to the Fallen rings hollow of false sentiment,  

HP is designed entirely for something different, but SPR is a drama, that isn't served well by its score, and as a seperate piece of music, its better as a dust collector.

I await the day when I agree with you on something.

The movie is served very well by the score IMO. The whole point of it was to feel realistic, and I don't think pounding brassy music would be the right accompaniment.

And how can you call Hymn to the Fallen Hollow? That melody, double trumpets and choir all add up :|

I vote Tibet, again.

Home Alone 2. I like some of the new material, but let's be honest, this is Williams on auto-pilot. And I disagree completely with Joe about Private Ryan. It's not the best score to listen to on CD, but it is a perfect accompaniment to the film. It comes in at just the right moments, is quietly reflective, and evokes the loneliness and slow decay of the soldier's humanity.

Notice especially Williams' brilliant work as the Jeremy Davies character kills the german at the end of the film. He does not go over-the-top to suggest anything, but he subtly hints at the hollowness of the act and how he has really just killed himself by shooting the German. It could have been more quietly patriotic, but it was quite different, showing that Williams identified the core of the film and the characters.

Ted, who will always defend the SPR film and score

Monumental Saving Privat Ryan losing to the both Xmas-medleys??

Hymn to the Fallen by itself , should beat these two easily.

Those distant trumpets with military drum,stunning brass choral and

and great choir(even if the climax is little bit too much syrup)

..and there is so much more...

Monumental Saving Privat Ryan losing to the both Xmas-medleys?? Hymn to the Fallen by itself, should beat these two easily.

My sentiments exactly.

Mine too. Let's form a club.

"The Hymn to the Fallen," which is the music that closes the film-- I may have proceeded in a way for me that was a little bit unusual, in that I think I wrote the hymn as the very last thing. What I have tried to do in many films that I've done is to try to pretty much work the ending out, so that I know where the musical material is going to land and develop. And then decompose it and take it apart, so to speak, so that individual strands of a more mature thing can be exposed singly and then collect together in the end of the film. Not in this particular case.

"The Hymn to the Fallen" was kind of a set piece that seemed to be required. One felt like - you had the sense that we needed a kind of requiem almost for the people lost in the film. And how to do that tastefully and discreetly and quietly and, hopefully, elegantly was the opportunity that it presented. And of course chorus and orchestra is still the best medium for that kind of thing.

- John Williams

Hymn to the Fallen by itself , should beat these two easily.

Those distant trumpets with military drum,stunning brass choral and

and great choir(even if the climax is little bit too much syrup)

The HAs have two terrific versions of one of Williams' best choral pieces, Star of Bethlehem. And there's so much more...

Marian - 8O

It clearly manipulates the viewer when he leaves the theater.

made me want to vomit, while the plebian crowd praise it like its some God sent masterpiece.

the battle sequences were very good, almost as good as the stuff in Patton, almost.

the battle sequences were very good, almost as good as the stuff in Patton, almost.

I really don't recall any similar battle scenes in Patton, I'm afraid. Something's fishy here.

It clearly manipulates the viewer when he leaves the theater.

made me want to vomit, while the plebian crowd praise it like its some God sent masterpiece.

Too much popcorn?

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but it's a great track.