rpvee

The Quick Question Thread

In Last Crusade, how is it that the hat that dude gave to Indy would last for so long into the 1930s retaining its shape, let alone it'd end up a perfect fit for Indy as an adult? I'd be willing to bet that guy had it tailor made for himself, so why did he give it up so easily?

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Do we know for sure its the same hat?

Dunno. Unless Indy visited a hatsmith in his early adult years, brought that one with him and asked for one to be made just like that one, only with his measurements. He might have even had a few made, since he might have lost his hat at the end of Raiders. The one he wears on the stairs at the end appeared to be a different hat. And his hat in KotCS would obviously have been another hat after 20 years.

Maybe it's like that shot of Batman's wardrobe in Batman Returns.

batman-returns-disneyscreencaps.com-8563.jpg

3 hours ago, dougie said:

Dunno. Unless Indy visited a hatsmith in his early adult years, brought that one with him and asked for one to be made just like that one, only with his measurements. He might have even had a few made, since he might have lost his hat at the end of Raiders. The one he wears on the stairs at the end appeared to be a different hat. And his hat in KotCS would obviously have been another hat after 20 years.

Overthinking much?

Can anyone recommend a good news podcast/radio program in Ireland? Not the short things you listen to in the car for five minutes every hour, things like NPR's Up First and the BBC Six O'Clock News on Radio 4.

So I was watching The Sound of Music and something rather dark hit me about this movie. If Maria had never set foot in the Von Trapp house or even if she never returned after she fled back to the convent, would Captain Von Trapp have joined the Nazis when he was drafted by the German navy?

Was that the influence she had on his life? When we first meet the guy, he's a control freak with the kids and forces them to march and practice excessive levels of discipline. But when Maria is hired as their governess, the impact she has is more than the Captain bargained for. She slowly frees him from his rigid persona and he embraces his goofier side.

But imagine if that never happened, and instead the inevitable Nazi annexation of Austria leads to the Captain continuing his unbending ways, accepts his post, and is likely killed during the imminent war. His sons would probably have been killed too and his daughters, uh, ravaged by the Soviets.

As for Maria? Well, who knows?

3 hours ago, dougie said:

So I was watching The Sound of Music and something rather dark hit me about this movie. If Maria had never set foot in the Von Trapp house or even if she never returned after she fled back to the convent, would Captain Von Trapp have joined the Nazis when he was drafted by the German navy?

Was that the influence she had on his life? When we first meet the guy, he's a control freak with the kids and forces them to march and practice excessive levels of discipline. But when Maria is hired as their governess, the impact she has is more than the Captain bargained for. She slowly frees him from his rigid persona and he embraces his goofier side.

But imagine if that never happened, and instead the inevitable Nazi annexation of Austria leads to the Captain continuing his unbending ways, accepts his post, and is likely killed during the imminent war. His sons would probably have been killed too and his daughters, uh, ravaged by the Soviets.

As for Maria? Well, who knows?

No, he was resistant to the Nazis from the start.  He wasn't German, he was a Naval commander in Nazi occupied Austria and as the Nazi ideology became more clear, he became more convinced to reject it.  In 1938 he was offered Naval command of a Nazi fleet which he declined knowing full well he could be arrested. The film overplays Maria's influence on the family for theatrical purposes. 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A naval officer in a landlocked country? Hmmm....

It wasn't landlocked back then.  It was the Astro-Hungarian empire where he commanded and attacked submarines in WW1.

image.png

I also wonder during the scene where Maria and Von Trapp dance and she suddenly backs away from him, did she feel his hardwood pressing up against her, and this shocked her? It obviously would have been something she wasn't all that experienced with, being a nun and all. He didn't seem too phased by it though.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

For me, the biggest question is...why the fucking hell did Von Trapp choose Maria over the sexy-as-fuck Baroness?! I mean, Eleanor Parker is ice hot!!!

She'd have it from me! Every day!