“More scary music coming your way this Tuesday with Intrada’s latest new CD. It’s an orchestral frightmare. Compelling, energetic, full of musical twists and turns. It’s also our first time working with this popular composer, too. Look for artwork, contents and audio samples on our site this coming Monday eve, June the 17th and order if you you’re brave enough… or even if you just want some great new soundtrack music to enjoy!”

I’m more interested in this quote from Doug Fake.

More cool news. Currently working on one of my favorite soundtracks from the 60’s era. Our plan was to present the original album on CD in the best audio it has ever displayed but in a wonderful stroke of good fortune, the master elements we located revealed not only the pristine condition tapes we had sought but also the previously unreleased complete soundtrack, which had long since been determined to be lost to the ages. What a joy it is when discoveries like this happen… and what a joy to own this one should be for fans of this famous and prolific composer who during this period created one masterpiece after another. Stay tuned!

There’s some speculation over at FSM that they may have found Bernstein’s Hallelujah Trail.

I could think of a few others, Laurence Of Arabia, Mysterious Island, In Harm’s Way (again), It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World or Zulu.

granted several of those composers weren’t on Roger’s list of artists the had upcoming titles coming from he posted earlier this year but things change.

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

Henry Mancini?

A Shot In The Dark?

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I would think anything left unreleased of Goldsmith’s scores from the 60s would not be considered masterpieces. Same for Herrmann, unless it’s Psycho. 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Well Psycho never had an original soundtrack album, so its not that.

Plus, the master tapes have been known to exist for a long time.

14 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I could think of a few others, Laurence Of Arabia, Mysterious Island, In Harm’s Way (again), It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World or Zulu.

Lawrence would have been magnificent, but I doubt it. Anyway, the old Varese album covers the most important cues.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I would think anything left unreleased of Goldsmith’s scores from the 60s would not be considered masterpieces. Same for Herrmann, unless it’s Psycho. 

Goldsmith was composing one masterpiece after another in the 60s. Doug didn’t exactly say this one was a masterpiece, just that it was one of his favorites. There are three Goldsmith scores this could absolutely be:

In Harm’s Way — this is the least likely because Intrada already released a slightly expanded edition with much improved sound, but we all know it’s an absolute top favorite of Doug’s and it’s conceivable Intrada might have been pursuing another reissue with Sony before they closed third party licensing, and somehow discovered the complete score at last.

The Chairman — this is far more likely (and IMO totally is a masterpiece). All CD issues so far of the original stereo album have had to be mastered from vinyl, and the last CD from Prometheus was far from recent. It’s entirely likely that Intrada would have pursued a release of that album program, making the search again for original album masters, and then being surprised to discover not only them but the complete score at last, in the same place.

Hour of the Gun — I think this might be the most likely Goldsmith option, due to Doug’s wording about “previously unreleased complete soundtrack”...you see the film recording of this fine score has never ever been released at all; the album was a truncated re-recording with smaller orchestra (similar to Waxman’s Tara’s Bulba also from UA in the 60s...which is why Prometheus enlisted Tadlow to produce a new complete recording matching the full original orchestrations, as Tadlow had done for the Waxman score previously). I could well believe Doug would describe this as one of his favorites, Intrada having produced an album recording CD reissue in the past (before Varese did). Also, we’ve seen this before with UA titles of the era which are usually thought lost to time, but which can sometimes surprise show up as having been sent complete to the licensing record label and never sent back to the studio to be lost. Isn’t this what happened with Bernstein’s The Great Escape? (or maybe it was some other score of his I’m remembering)

Even though I think Hour of the Gun is most likely (and would be awesome), because we have that great Tadlow recording I’m instead crossing my fingers for The Chairman extra hard, because Tadlow was not able to get access to the original written scores for that produce a new recording like they wanted.

Yavar

Geez, leave 'Hour of the Gun' alone, it's a perfectly well-written score that doesn't need any more exposure after the re-recording. 'The Chairman' is great, but there just wasn't much more in that movie, either, so i hold out for 'Shot in the Dark' or 'HT'.

You’re likely to be disappointed then because you’re not paying very close attention. I very much doubt Roger would have omitted Bernstein from even his expanded list of upcoming composers...and “A Shot in the Dark” would be wonderful but it never had an original album that Intrada would have been pursuing a release of on its own, before discovering the complete score.

You’re also wrong about The Chairman. There is significant unreleased music as Jeff Bond continually brings up.

Yavar

Yavar, relax, we're not writing a thesis on this shit. And i once saw 'The Chairman' and there sure wasn't a significant amount of music left off (certainly not showstoppers like 'Fire Fight'). 

I wish people were more polite and courteous towards each other on this forum instead of jumping down each other's throats for no reason

14 hours ago, publicist said:

Yavar, relax, we're not writing a thesis on this shit. And i once saw 'The Chairman' and there sure wasn't a significant amount of music left off (certainly not showstoppers like 'Fire Fight'). 

Been meaning to add publicist to my "ignore" list for years.  Time's come.

THE CHAIRMAN -- music sketches 
J. Lee Thompson; 1969 (20th Century-Fox, 1969)
contains: 
1-1 "Main Title," 9 pages; 
1-2 "Old Times," 1 page; 
3-1 "Goodbye For Now," 4 pages; 
3-1a "The City," 4 pages; 
4-2 "A Late Visitor," 12 pages; 
4-3 "The Airport," 8 pages; 
5-1 "The Schools," 5 pages; 
5-2 "The Red Guard," 5 pages; 
7-1 "Hathaway's Arrival," 6 pages; 
7-3 "The Bottle," 4 pages; 
8-2 "The Students," 9 pages; 
9-1 "The Laboratory," 13 pages; 
10-1 "Hathaway's Plans (part 1)," 5 pages; 
10-1 "Hathaway's Plans (part 2)," 8 pages; 
10-2 "Hathaway's Flight," 20 pages; 
11-1 "The Mine," 9 pages; 
11-2 "The Russians Are Coming," 6 pages; 
12-1 "Countdown," 4 pages; 
12-2 "The Bomb," 2 pages; 
12-3 "End Title," 3 pages; 
12-3 "End Credits," 2 pages; 
"The Chairman Love Theme," 4 pages [not in the hand of Jerry Goldsmith] 

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=111632&forumID=1&archive=0

Scroll on down that same post and you’ll even see that the reason James Fitzpatrick did not have someone reconstruct this score by ear from the film: some cues are dialed out in it...not everything Goldsmith wrote/recorded made it in.

It does include "The Marketplace" but it's nowhere near complete--there's a LOT more music in the movie. This appears to be just a combination of the original release with "The Marketplace" added from the Varese Fox box.

—Jeff Bond, here:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=84276&forumID=1&archive=0

Very glad to have a good-sounding version of the album...but it is too bad a more complete version can't be put together. Clearly there IS material to be had as evidenced by the Goldsmith @ Fox boxed set--and the final action set piece (post "The Fence" in the film) is as exciting as "Firefight" and "The Fence."

—Jeff Bond again, here:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=27161&forumID=1&archive=1

Thus ends my thesis, publicist! I think I’ll trust Goldsmith expert Jeff Bond (who counts this as one of his favorite Goldsmith scores and has no doubt seen the film repeatedly) over your distant memory of having seen the film once...to say nothing of the Herrick Library written cue contents which certainly seem to indicate a lot more music than the short 32 minute album, even though it provides page numbers of written score rather than timings of recorded score (and I concede we don’t know how it matches up with the album exactly due to some title differences).

Yavar

P.S. A ray of hope appears for Bernstein fans!
http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8195&sid=34b091f7ba2c46cf7dc2cf48b6fbc6a0

New post from Roger

Now that we're halfway through, here's a look at some composers that mostly likely will get some attention this year:

Jerry Fielding, Bruce Broughton, Christopher Young, John Barry, Bill Conti, Lalo Schifrin, Kenyon Hopkins, Frank DeVol, John Barry, Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith, and maybe but who knows Basil Poledouris

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8195

That's three times he's given us a list of composers for the year

His March 17 original list:

In fact we have many albums done stuck in approvals so March may not have much. But a glimpse of some composers you can expect to see over the next several months - Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (sigh), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay and more!

His April 2nd update:

An update to the list: Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (maybe...no promises yet), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay, Richard Band, Laurence Rosenthal, Jerry Fielding, Bear McCreary, Randy Edelman, possibly Frank DeVol and more! And sometimes more than one by these composers! This includes some world premieres, reissues, expansions...a little of everything.

And now his June 17th update: 

Now that we're halfway through, here's a look at some composers that mostly likely will get some attention this year: 

Jerry Fielding, Bruce Broughton, Christopher Young, John Barry, Bill Conti, Lalo Schifrin, Kenyon Hopkins, Frank DeVol, John Barry, Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith, and maybe but who knows Basil Poledouris

Out of the composers listed, we already got:

McNeely - Iron Will

Williams - Monsignor

Safan - Son of the Morning Star

Fielding - Lawman

Band - Unlucky Charms

Edelman - Backdraft II

That means the composers we haven't gotten yet are:

McCreary (though it seems 99% sure they are releasing Happy Death Day 2U tonight)

John Barry

Jerry Goldsmith

Basil Poledouris

Bill Conti

James Horner

Hugo Friedhofer

Bruce Broughton

Chris Young

Lalo Schifrin

Sylvester Levay

Laurence Rosenthal

Frank DeVol

Kenyon Hopkins

Elmer Bernstein

Still hoping the Schifrin is EARTH STAR VOYAGER!

I wonder what the most likely Horner is?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

New post from Roger

I had shared this with my added in P.S. above, but I should have done what you did and actually quoted his words here.

Great job summing up the info about the three lists. One thing to point out: we can pretty much ignore the first list at this point, because the second list is identical to it (even listing in identical order), up until the first ends at Levay and the second list starts adding on more with Band and Rosenthal.

The third and most recently list on the other hand, adds composers but also omits a number of them that were on the previous list (including, sadly for me, Friedhofer).

59 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

He wrote John Barry twice. 

This may have been a mistake, or it might also be Roger indicating that there are two Barrys coming up. I remember (last year, I think it was) he previously did an "upcoming on Intrada" list that included Horner no less than *three* times, which was surely intentional.

Yavar

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder what the most likely Horner is?

I would bet it's a continuation of their series of MCA expansions since they've been on such a roll with those over the past year (*batteries not included, Balto, Apollo 13, An American Tail were all MCA titles...to say nothing of the other Universal Music Group titles they've been expanding by other composers, like Goldsmith's The Lonely Guy and The Mummy, and Silvestri's Mummy Returns). So here's a list of the remaining unexpanded MCA Horner titles:

The Land Before Time (this seems most likely due to the general popularity of the score and amounts it's selling for on the secondhand market; only a little over 10 min of missing music)

Dad (anyone know how much unreleased music there is for this score?)

An American Tail: Feivel Goes West (also seems extremely likely that Intrada would expand the sequel score like they did the first)

We're Back! A Dinosaurs Story

Casper

Those five are I think the most likely, with the two animated titles topping my guess list.

The Man Without A Face is on the Phillips label and A Beautiful Mind is on the Decca label, which are both UMG-owned, and there's also The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper which had a soundtrack release on Polydor (a UMG-owned label which originally released Cocoon, already longer ago expanded by Intrada) including a couple of score cues.

EMI (which owned the Angel and Virgin labels) was also absorbed by Universal Music Group a couple years ago, which could potentially add other possibilities to Intrada's Horner UMG licensing, like Courage Under Fire, The Name of the Rose, Red Heat, Glory, and Willow (additional cues for the latter would have to be licensed from Disney now that they bought Lucasfilm).

Of course, at any point Intrada might also do an expansion of a Disney-owned Horner (which now includes Willow thanks to the Lucasfilm purchase, but even might be one which they previously released but in incomplete form, like Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Journey of Natty Gann, or Something Wicked This Way Comes).

It *won't* likely be Field of Dreams, since that's a Sony Music-owned album, unless it's one of the two Roger already had in the works before the moratorium. Jumanji, The Spitfire Grill, The Devil's Own, Deep Impact, Bicentennial Man, Freedom Song, Enemy At the Gates, Iris, Sneakers, Legends of the Fall, A Perfect Storm, The Four Feathers, Windtalkers, The Missing, the two Zorro scores, The Amazing Spiderman, Southpaw, The Magnificent Seven, and To Gillian on her 37th Birthday are in the same Sony boat. It also probably won't be an expansion of Another 48 Hrs., because that was a Scotti Bros. album, owned by Volcano, now owned by Epic (a division of Sony Music...Wikipedia is helpful when it comes to tracking down label ownership). It also probably won't be an expansion of My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, the original album of which had two Horner score cues...Sony again:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-My-Heroes-Have-Always-Been-Cowboys/release/4810728

Personally if I'm hoping Intrada has one Horner in the works already licensed from Sony Music...it's Sneakers. That one really needs an expansion. Ditto A Perfect Storm. But I'm not holding my breath. There is also Legends of the Fall, but at least for that there was a complete isolated score track so we Horner fans have recourse...

One entry at SoundtrackCollector has me confused:

http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/7626/Once+Upon+A+Forest

Is Once Upon a Forest Fox Records, or RCA (which would make it another Sony Music title)?

If expansions of Bopha! or The Pelican Brief ever come out, I would expect them more from LLL, as they previous expanded the other Big Screen Records Horner. And of course there's a batch of Varese-controlled Horner titles as well, starting with Brainstorm and going through the 2010s...

Yavar

P.S. Now watch me get egg on my face when Intrada suddenly announces something out of left field like an expansion of their Thunderheart album, lol!