Jay

Did you guys see the video someone made of the video of the film cued with the original scored War through Quaritch Down sequences? It's awesome, and much, much better

I did. It was shocking because the music never needed to be edited because it fit perfectly anyways. Cameron, you disappoint.

I've been working on my edit. I stuck "Intro" and "Leonopteryx" together as they appear in the film. I really think it sounds great. What I thought worked unusually well was stick "The Hunt" at the end of that, since I was trying to make bulkier cues. The way it picks up after that mellow near-silence works very well.

I found a 3-disc and a 5-disc version of this music, but I'm a bit confused.

What would be the best way to create, say, a 2-disc intended version without tracking, SFX and mono sound quality?

"Best" as in "least effort to create". Unfortunately I always am hard-pressed for time.

Luke's made this for Horner's intended score: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18651&view=findpost&p=639223

Personally, I just listened through everything one evening and made a nice 2 hour set, disregarding whether I was hearing a film or alternate version.

I found a 3-disc and a 5-disc version of this music, but I'm a bit confused.

What would be the best way to create, say, a 2-disc intended version without tracking, SFX and mono sound quality?

"Best" as in "least effort to create". Unfortunately I always am hard-pressed for time.

For myself I mostly used the 5-CD intended edition set as the 3-CD set was just the isolated score complete with micro edits and some tracks were in mono.

As I said I mostly used the 5-CD set for my intended edition, took out the repeated cues and put all the alternates on Disc 3 since Discs 1 and 2 which are pretty full.

Ditto KM, I want to make a nice set but the task of wading through all 5 discs is so intimidating I've just been listening to other people's edits instead of making my own :thumbup:

You just have to invest a bit of time (it took me 2-3 hours). I don't even have a representation of the entire score. I just deleted what bored me, and kept the most interesting take of what I liked.

• 3 months later...

I'll gladly wait for it to be released on Blu-Ray in November where 40 minutes (instead of 8) of additional footage will be re-inserted back into the film. I was barely able to sit through this movie the one time I saw in theaters, with out having to pee during the film. Not sure if I would be able to do it again.

Hey the special edition of avatar is going to include the hunt, destroyed school and the bioluminescence of the night...

Is going to include? The SE was released to theaters on August 27th

I'll gladly wait for it to be released on Blu-Ray in November where 40 minutes (instead of 8) of additional footage will be re-inserted back into the film. I was barely able to sit through this movie the one time I saw in theaters, with out having to pee during the film. Not sure if I would be able to do it again.

Actually the theatrical re-release was 9 minutes longer, and the blu ray release in November will be 16 minutes longer

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2010/08/interview_with_james_cameron_o.html

Actually the theatrical re-release was 9 minutes longer, and the blu ray release in November will be 16 minutes longer

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2010/08/interview_with_james_cameron_o.html

Ah okay thanks for the information. Still I will wait until November and buy it on Blu-Ray.

Yea I'll rent the blu ray, I'm curious to see the extended scenes

I just realized this is a thread for editing the score; we have a separate thread for the re-release(s) of the film

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18654

Hey the special edition of avatar is going to include the hunt, destroyed school and the bioluminescence of the night...

Is going to include? The SE was released to theaters on August 27th

it had not been released here until yesterday :)

• 3 months later...

CD1 80:00 min

01 "You don't dream in cryo...." 1m1 You Dont dream in Cryo

02 Quaritch speech 1m4 Quaritch Speech

03 First look 1m5 Unused

04 Jake enters his avatar world 2m1 Jake enters his avatar world

05 Into the Na'vi world 2m2 unused Redo (Into de Na'vi World alt)

06 Exploring 2m3a Exploring

07 Thanator chase 2m3b Thanator Chase (I suppose most will use the one from the 3cd set, but the ending is different, i dont mind the echoed drums, after all this score is so enthic-electronic that it may even be intended...)

08 Found and lost 3m1 Pure spirits of the forest (38 secs) + 3m1 Excerpt

09 Viperwolves attack 3m1 Viperwolves

10 Pure Spirits of the forest/Jake Meets the Na'vi 3m2 Jake Meets the na'vi

11 Na'vi Hometree chant 3m3 Na'Vi Hometree Chant

12 Na'vi Hometree source 3m3 Unused (I suppose it is an alternate of 3m3 or 3m4)

13 Sleep 3m5 Sleep

14 The Plan 4m1 The Plan

15 The village/Jake's first ride 4m2 v815ish

16 The Hallelujah Mountains 4m3a The Floating Mountains Pt. 1

17 The shack 4m3b The Floating Mountains Pt. 2a

18 Hometree/Ikran - The mountain banshee 4m3d The Floating Mountains Pt. 3

19 Becoming one of "The People" 4m4 Vocal Version

20 Bioluminescence of the night 4m5 Unused

21 The school incident/Climbing up "Iknimaya - The Path to Heaven" 5m1 Climbing Up Iknimaya

22 Jake gets his banshee 5m2 Flight of the Banshee (orig pts 1 & 2) Split at 2:40 (that is, before eliminating the silences)

23 Jake's first flight 5m2 Flight of the Banshee (orig pts 1 & 2) (Mix the OST solo voice ending)

24 The hunt 5m2 The Hunt

25 Death from above 5m3 Intro

26 Great Leonopteryx 5m3 Leonopteryx

27 Jake's video log 6m1 Unused

28 A man of my word 6m2 A man of my Word

29 Becoming one with Neytiri 6m4 Jake & Neytiri (unused)

watching the collectors edition, i noticed that the hunt goes before the leonopteryx attack. It seems the cue (5m2) was correctly named. Though the script does have the scene after the leonopteryx attack.

bioluminescence of the night i think it is partially used, (the ending) and is 4m5.

the school incident goes there in 5m1.

• 6 years later...
10 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

It's had 100+ years, I'm sure many many gallons of engine oil and food liquids have leaked into the Atlantic. 

The Titanic was coal-powered. There was no engine oil.

Rose and Jack fucked in an automobile on the Titanic. Cars do not float. Usually. Thus, car oil and fuel leaked into the Atlantic Ocean. 

QED. 

Yes, the Avatar recording sessions leaked in lossless.  Easily found on the site that worships that video game.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, the Avatar recording sessions leaked in lossless.  Easily found on the site that worships that video game.

Which, if anyone was confused, is not JWFan and Breath of the Wild. 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Can't you just create a new account?

They've apparently stopped sending out emails at all.  Every time I try to reset a password or create a new account the email to verify never arrives.  I've obviously checked spam folders and such.  It doesn't surprise that they run kind of a crappy operation over there.

I could see a label getting the rights to this.  The Abyss and Terminator got expanded!

Still feels a bit too soon for it to be release in complete form.

What was the most recent score to have been released in complete form by one of the labels? By that, I mean: what was the shortest period of time between a score being recorded for a film and it being released in complete form?

I know it doesn't necessarily prove anything, but would like to know out of curiosity.

27 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What was the most recent score to have been released in complete form by one of the labels? By that, I mean: what was the shortest period of time between a score being recorded for a film and it being released in complete form?

Great question!

Here's what comes to me, just off the top of my head

Beltrami's 3:10 To Yuma = 2007 -> 2015 = 8 years

Williams' Home Alone 2 = 1992 -> 2002 = 10 years

Giacchino's Sky High = 2005 -> 2017 = 12 years

Debney's CutThroat Island = 1995 -> 2005 = 10 years

Giacchino's Medal of Honor: Airborne = 2007 -> 2011 =  4 years

Oh!  Giacchino's Star Trek scores, all 1 year each.

Tomorrow Never Dies, 1 year

The Phantom Menace, 1 year

Lionheart, 0 years

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2017 at 2:56 PM, Jay said:

Would be great if we got an expanded Avatar in 2019 for the 10th anniversary

Roger Feigelson just posted this update on the topic of Avatar getting an expansion.

MV any chance on a complete release for Horner's 2009 Avatar?

Intrada tried to release this a few years ago, but got rejected on account of it being too recent.

Correct...the project was cleared by both Fox and WMG, but the AFM policy doesn't allow for these collector release for anything recorded after August 2005. It's stalled a bunch of projects actually. If the policy changes we'll be able to proceed.

Very frustrating!

And extremely unlikely the AFM will change their policy in the midst of a pandemic, when royalties are probably the only income musicians have been receiving the past year.

MV followed up with an interesting clarification about how Superman Returns was able to be expanded, despite being a 2006 LA recording and falling under the same union rules as Avatar.

Honestly its none of your business how any deals are made, but in the case of Superman Returns that deal was cut before the new renegotiated union rules went active and it was pricey.

MV

Avatar doesn't play well in complete form, unless you're a fan of exotic indigenous music. Believe me, I tried listening to the recording sessions several times.

The optimal listening experience is still the OST with the additional tracks from the deluxe edition, plus one cue from the sessions: 9M5 Quaritch Down. It's probably the best action cue by Horner on the XXI century, don't know why he didn't included it on the official releases.