What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Today's program:

John Williams - Jurassic Park (Expanded Set)
John Williams - Schindler's List (OST)

John Williams - Sabrina (OST)

18 hours ago, publicist said:

Not a fan, but at least through the verfremdungseffects via hip-hop stylisms it aims somewhat higher than the average race drama score, say 'Hidden Figures'. 

I could have maybe appreciated that if the entire score didn't just hinge on a half-baked phrase, repeated ad nauseum throughout the score (and I guess one other cue that's a Richter knockoff anyway). Terrible album.

18 hours ago, publicist said:

And i guess what i see as positive sign is that scores for a wide range of movies stand out more - for years, a lot of these would have received just mousy underscore afraid of getting in the way. And that Clint Eastwood after decades of being a musical annoyance finally scored with me is cause for jubilation anyway.

Indeed. Though I'm sure the guys over at Filmtracks would not appreciate the sentiment.

Will have to check out the Eastwood. I watched the film, but don't remember much from the score.

I always thought the bagpipes in "The Land Race" were mixed very badly. It almost sounds like a joke. I figure it's probably a comedic moment but I don't think it is meant to sound as pathetic as it does. Good score, though. 

Sleepers by John Williams

Edge of Darkness by Howard Shore

Eastern Promises by Howard Shore

Prisoners by Jóhann Jóhannsson

The Miners' Hymns by Jóhann Jóhannsson

Today's program:

John Williams - Nixon

John Williams - Sleepers

John Williams - Rosewood (the instrumental score from the Expanded set)

29 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The instrumental score?

He means the first disc of the LLL set, which doesn't feature any of the gospel spirituals.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

He means the first disc of the LLL set, which doesn't feature any of the gospel spirituals.

Yes, the first CD. Normally, I listen to a combined playlist of the two CDs, but not this time!

p_lllcd1244.jpg

Rosewood [Music From The Motion Picture] (1997) (2013, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1244; Caesar, Parks, Morgan, Williams)

CD 1 - THE INSTRUMENTAL SCORE: Rosewood; The Town of Sumner; The Arrival of Mann; Mann Goes Shopping / Mann Meets Scrappie; Prayers at Dinner / The Wrights / War Drums; Scrappie and Mann Bond / The Beating; False Accusation; The Lie / Arresting Aaron; Roughing up Aaron / Aaron in Jail; Sam's Murder; Discovering Sam's Body / Mann's First Exit; Exchanging Gifts / Cracker Mob; Sarah is Shot / Attack on the House; Kids to the Woods / The House Burns; The Fire / Fanny's Guilt; The Klan Gathers / Wright's Decision / The Crackers Gather; Mann Rescues the Kids; Hide the Man, John / Wright's Dilemma / We Meet at Eight; Mann Leads the Group; Crossing the Road; The Capture of Mann / Mann's Great Escape; Burning Town / Sylvester Joins the Group; After the Fire; End Titles; CD 2 - 1997 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: Rosewood; Look Down, Lord; The Hounds of Sumner; Healing; Light My Way; Trouble in Town; Aunt Sarah's Death; After the Fire; The Town of Sumner; The Town Burns; Scrappie and Mann Bond ; The Freedom Train; False Accusation; Mann at Rosewood; Look Down, Lord (Reprise and Finale).

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

House of Cards, seasons 1-2. Why exactly was this score released?

They didn't need to be two-disc releases, but there's easily enough good material there to warrant an album.  The main titles, "I've Known Everything," "Chessboard Revealed," "To Be a King," "Mr. President:" great stuff. 

41 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What, seriously? Are there House of Cards concerts now? And BloodBoal, your words are poison!

Jeff Beal arranged a concert suite (perusal score here), but I don't think there are specific "House of Cards concerts."

Well, that seems a bit excessive. Occasional piece performances work great, but full concerts? That might be a bit much.

The scores are quite good though. Especially for a show of this nature, there's a lot of harmonic colour and diversity on Beal's part.

I love that Frank/Claire idea. His jazz background brings a lot to the show.

_

So based on Alex's post with the main titles, I just checked out the score on Spotify out of curiosity. I like it.

Definitely more fun than the drab, generic score for The Crown.

Gloria (Conti)

Bubba Ho-Tep (Tyler)

The Boxcar Children (Burgomaster)

The Departed (Shore)

Doom (Mansell)

What Dreams May Come (Kamen)

So I was having a weird day...  But every one of those is worth listening to.  I know I've talked about Bubba Ho-Tep before, but I'm going to keep proselytizing because it's just so much fun.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I find this to be really strange. The music is absolutely fine, with enough personality and skill to warrant a high rating. At the same time, the album is a really weak listening experience - bit meandering and aimless. I like the writing but loathe the assembly. Something that usually ruins JNH soundtrack albums for me, I need to add.

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I find this to be really strange. The music is absolutely fine, with enough personality and skill to warrant a high rating. At the same time, the album is a really weak listening experience - bit meandering and aimless. I like the writing but loathe the assembly. Something that usually ruins JNH soundtrack albums for me, I need to add.

It's rather like the film in that case, though. Plenty of good individual bits, weakened by the way they're put together. I still look forward to the sequels, both films and scores.

Actually the finale is the weakest bit, i think. But the main culprit is the album cut: w/o combining the Deluxe edition's disc into one 1-hour cut you are left with a dangling mess of moments and bits and pieces of a good fantasy score desperately looking for a scissor.

Morricone/Tornatore, Round 2: 'La Sconosciuta', thriller concerning a young ukrainian young woman haunted by a horrible past, who calculatedly insinuates herself into the life of a rich Italian family. The movie unveils the truth about her in a jigsaw puzzle bit by bit. Morricone responds with a wonderful central idea, an austere romantic string waltz (the title cue) that misleadingly doesn't set the tone for the rest of the score (hough it is repeated verbatim a few times). Which still is a fascinating study of dissonance and confusion, with the fragments of the opening theme that act as distant calls of the past surrounded by jittery suspense, oppressive melodrama, and scratchy violin solos (the movie's version of 'action' music though the dazzling pop variation 'Flauto, Violino E Orchetra' is leading the pack): there is not much rest in between and while the theme is really the one memorable element beyond the many elements, compositonally premium of course, that turn up in many other Morricone's.

There are standout cues, like the almost Goldsmithian 'Rapido' with its wild plucked strings and nervous string section overlay and the second half takes a bow to Bernard Herrmann's scores ('Psycho' and 'Cape Fear' spring to mind) and it's a joy having Morricone play around with musical conventions far outside his comfort zone. It goes without saying that he manages with aplomb and never sounds like a phonetic carbon copy (i. e. Silvestri's 'What Lies Beneath'). Go for 'Cromatismi Diatonici' to compare, or the last minute of 'Reiterazione'.

All things considered, this is a thoughtful and stylish thriller score, harmonically richer and more interesting than the norm though, as also customary with EM, having 70 minutes at your disposal may seem overkill. 

What i enjoy about the Tornatore scores is how multi-faceted they are ('Una pura formalità' may be the least acceptable, still a gorgeous main theme). Not to speak of the fabulous effect these elaborate scores have on their movies.

The Missing by James Horner

Perfect Storm by James Horner

Merlin by Trevor Jones

39 minutes ago, publicist said:

What i enjoy about the Tornatore scores is how multi-faceted they are ('Una pura formalità' may be the least acceptable, still a gorgeous main theme). Not to speak of the fabulous effect these elaborate scores have on their movies.

La Sconosciuta almost feels like a Brian De Palma score.

Karol