What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 2017-01-24 at 5:32 PM, Bespin said:

Continuing the great review of my JW CD collection!

Currently: John Williams - Jaws 2 (OST)

Here are the plans for tomorrow:

John Williams - 1941 (LLL Extended score)

John Williams - Raiders of the lost ark (Concord Combined Disc1 1&4)

John Williams - E.T. (OST)

Ah... that essential 1941!

So challenging each time I hear it!

16177474_1571877176161447_57856253666004

40 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oh! :( Do you have it in any format?

Don't worry, I have everything on my hard drive, I can't explain it, but I have everything... But I always want to pay for a physical copy. I am a soooo bad pirate! ;-)

1 hour ago, Richard said:

No just a damn minute! Where's THE RIVER?

I'm hoping for a re-release of this from Varese. I could get a reasonably priced copy but an expansion would be better.

It's a very good score.

Karol

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Don't worry, I have everything on my hard drive, I can't explain it, but I have everything... But I always want to pay for a physical copy. I am a soooo bad pirate! ;-)

Two hundred years too late. 

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman: Still one of my favourite Elfman scores. Just superb!

Star Wars The Force Awakens by John Williams: While I have been listening to this at steady intervals since its release, the score still remains wonderfully energetic and dramatic and Rey's theme is as emotional as it was when I first heard it if not more so.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm hoping for a re-release of this from Varese. I could get a reasonably priced copy but an expansion would be better.

It's a very good score.

Karol

It seems the album is longer than the score in the movie. Ages since i've seen it but there weren't many spots with music in it.

9 minutes ago, publicist said:

It seems the album is longer than the score in the movie. Ages since i've seen it but there weren't many spots with music in it.

Yeah the film doesn't have much unreleased music and the album has a few pieces not used in the film. If I remember correctly @Omen II suggested that the OST is actually a re-recording so they could always release a film score + album combo that might fit one disc. One can hope.

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

@Omen II suggested that the OST is actually a re-recording so they could always release a film score + album combo that might fit one disc.

Ironic that it was Omen II who suggested that!

Though i guess that practice was abandoned by then and it was more like 'E. T.': Williams just slapped a few concert pieces onto the recording sessions (obviously 'Love Theme', 'Pony Ride' and 'Young Friends Farewell').

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yeah the film doesn't have much unreleased music and the album has a few pieces not used in the film. If I remember correctly @Omen II suggested that the OST is actually a re-recording so they could always release a film score + album combo that might fit one disc. One can hope.

I don't think I have ever said that about The River (although bear in mind I sometimes struggle to remember what I did yesterday, so anything's possible).  I remember observing that the centrepiece The Ancestral Home track was longer in the film and included music not heard on the album.

Malcolm Robinson - Orchestral Chrono Trigger Vol. 1

Still loving this CD, a great 40 minute selection of CT tunes perfectly orchestralized.  I hope there's a volume 2 some day!

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

Great score!

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

Great score!  I've probably listened to this a dozen times since I got it.  Great release!

Harold Faltermeyere - Beverly Hills Cop 2

Damn.  I wanted to like this one since I'd come to like the first score so much, but I was incredibly bored by it.  I'll give it another chance soon, but wow, what a different score than the first...

Never heard the full score (yes, BloodBoal, I probably should at some point), although I have heard the full suite, but this arrangement is wonderful:

Cool to have the maestro himself on the piano! I really like the piano/cello combo in this and Air and Simple Gifts. Are there other places Williams does it? 

I never realized what a great and bright tone color the piano had, for some reason, until recently. 

Williams doesn't perform on Air and Simple Gift.

On a more classical note, regarding cello/piano works, Williams plays the piano on two concerti recorded with Edgar Lustgarten... Garden... Slutgarden, whatever.... Unfortunately the actual CD reissue is very bad. Hope that someday it will a get a quality release. 

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Williams doesn't perform on Air and Simple Gift.

On a more classical note, regarding cello/piano works, Williams plays the piano on two concerti recorded with Edgar Lustgarten... Garden... Slutgarden, whatever.... Unfortunately the actual CD reissue is very bad. Hope that someday it will a get a quality release.

I meant Williams compositions with that instrumentation. ;)

The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri: This is a fun rollercoaster of a popcorn movie score. Old fashioned adventure score with a pinch of faux-Middle Eastern stylings, big melodies and catchy action writing (although the repetition of the main motif gets a bit old after a while).

X-Men: The Last Stand by John Powell: A bit too dense and noisy at times but there is some good stuff here, including the two showdown tracks featuring the Dark Phoenix theme among the highlights along with the lovely quieter music from the middle section of the album.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams: Another fun rollercoaster of an adventure score with big thematic heart, judicious use of the Raiders March and great action setpieces with the quasi-religious Grail theme carrying some of the score's most emotinal moments. The Jones' escapades underscoring Scherzo is a classic and the whole tank sequence shows Williams in full stride and height of his powers when writing kinetic yet balletic action.

The Adventures of Don Juan - Max Steiner

Listening to the original recording, and it doesn't have that punch and larger size of the Morgan/Stromberg re-recording. Still a fun swashbuckler score.

TAT, like the film, is a score that resonates more with me, the older I get.

It's a mini-masterpeice., which currently occupies the number 8, in my top-ten JW scores. It's a damn good score. Now, all we need is the extended THE HEALING PROCESS, and the "swashbuckling" music...

On 1/27/2017 at 8:46 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Memoirs is a top 5 Williams score.

Amen brother!

This was playing the other night, and I'd argue it might be one of Williams most honest and genuine works. This wasn't him channeling a certain pastiche or flavour to solely serve a film. In the vein of his concert works, this is music for music's sake. And it still surprises me just how colourful it is. One of his finest indeed.

I find the theme great (Accidental Tourist) but the score one-note and boring in a late-Barry sort of way. Genrewise, Williams was better served by more up-tempo movies like 'Sabrina'.

Which brings me to 

The River - John Williams

Gathering dust in a background corner of Williams' blockbuster career, 'The River' was a kind of Reaganized farewell to his (arguably) musically more varied and interesting career pre-Star Wars. Regular collaborators back then were Robert Altman, Martin Ritt and Mark Rydell, filmmakers whose themes were more rooted in modern socio-political contexts than faraway fantasy lands, and what they requested from Williams reflected that: often reducing himself to small ensembles, ranging between folk and jazz to the point of blending in with the natural background, Williams never was closer to everyday american life in his music.

This being a mid-80's studio production helmed by old-time partner Mark Rydell ('Cinderella Liberty') about the hardships of southern corn farmers already feels cut down to comic-book size with ideological frontiers out of old Capra movies: rich industrial shits and bankers make life hard for pure, hard working, good-looking Mel Gibson and his dedicated good-looking family.

Williams responds in a vaguely pop-ish americana idiom that shows his skill in translating simple folk and blues tunes into a convincing fabric - in contrast to the reduced ensembles of the 70's, though, 'The River' already is a product of a different era that mandated considerably larger orchestral forces and also a somewhat overblown americana hymn ('Ancestral Home') that pushes several sections of the movie into a kind of fake mythological fairy tale-land that is at odds with the more honest country and bluegrass style of more contemplative/frolicking pieces like 'Young Friend's Farewell' or 'Pony Ride'.

So the score remains a bit of a mixed bag: while half of it feels like a sympathetic and simple musical depiction of rural America with a truly alluring bluesy impressionist flute call for mother nature's vagaries (wonderfully developed in 'Rain Clouds Gather', the movie's main title), the synthetic-sounding pop beats and some inflated, moviemusic-ish moments throughout cancel themselves out a bit. It doesn't really gel in the end, which is a shame because amidst all the patriotic fanfares and big adventure scores of the time, 'The River' is actually a nice diversion that shows a Williams not yet resting on his popular 'Maestro with his 100 piece orchestra in tow' image.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Gathering dust in a background corner of Williams' blockbuster career, 'The River' was a kind of Reaganized farewell to his (arguably) musically more varied and interesting career pre-Star Wars.

I never really found any of his post-Star Wars stuff worth revisiting.

44 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I never really found any of his post-Star Wars stuff worth revisiting.

I found plenty but still think it's sad that he hardly ever left the symphony orchestra corselet after 1977 because he wrote really great not-so-traditional music in very different genres before.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (LLL) Disc 2 Only - John Williams

Amazing.  Obviously the whole freakin' score is a masterpiece, with many highlights in the first half, but I often find myself listening to just Disc 2 because I find it works so well as a standalone listening experience.  And of course I don't often have 2 whole hours to sit and listen to something.

Galaxy Quest, Newman

Robin & Marian, Barry

The Swarm, Stagecoach- Goldsmith

Heroes of Telemark, Arnold

Dirty Harry & Magnum Force- Lalo Schifrin

Listening to Rogue One after buying it Friday, not bad on the initial listen. Hope is probably my pick so far but, without reading the thread, the AT-ACT assault track sounded like shades of Battle in the Snow. That clanking sound in Empire...:eh:

A man has to know his limitations.