What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Track times for the Predator 2 rip please?

I haven't listened to the Predator 2 OST in a lonnnnnnnnng time

I believe track 11 of Judge Dredd sounds like......... (looking at P2 track titles now...) ... El Scoprio? Or maybe Swinging Rude Boys. Then, it's repeated in the end credits. You can't miss it.

Star Trek Nemesis: Deluxe Edition. Marvelous! I like some of the album mixes better though.

I like the up-front synths more, formulaic as they are. There is a mean harshness to NEMESIS that makes it not better but at least different than the other more polished efforts JG did for the TNG movies. Though it relies on the one-note Remus theme too much, it still is remarkable how Goldsmith is able to build a unified score out of these tiny thematic strains.

The synths in "Repairs" are more prominent in the album mix, which I liked.

The ferocity of this score is what draws me back to it. It was under appreciated when it was first released.

I think Insurrection has a bit more colour and variety to it. As much as I like First Contact, I think it's relatively bland compared to Goldsmith's other less popular TNG scores.

I got that beat! I got that beat! I've never listened to the Predator ost.

Predator is the only essential Predator franchise score. Everything else is ancillary.

Predator is the only essential Predator franchise score. Everything else is ancillary.

I'll do you one better.

I've never seen the Predator films, nor have I heard any of their scores.

Got Stardust by Ilan Eshkeri the other day.... there really is some amazing music, and overall the album is a great listening experience... :music::)

You've never listened to the Predator 2 OST, correct, is that what you meant?

I don't think I made it halfway into either P2 or Predators, and I own both. I'm going to see if I can now, but I must start with Intrada's second effort.

I've never seen the Predator films, nor have I heard any of their scores.

I always found the end credits of PREDATOR 2 one of Silvestri's strongest pieces. It really is huge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqxErnM3EQ

Yea the Judge Dredd bit is just like 3:22 of that!

Alan Silvestri - Judge Dredd (OST)

Hadn't listened to this in a long time. It's much better than I remembered! GREAT main them, good surrounding music too. I totally forgot that track 11 copies basically note for note the gang's theme from Predator 2 :P Twice!

I love Block War. Album sounds very good, too (but then so do most Silvestri recordings, thanks to Sands).

Got Stardust by Ilan Eshkeri the other day.... there really is some amazing music, and overall the album is a great listening experience... :music::)

It doesn't have much depth and has more than its share of ripoffs (some not so troublesome, like the LOTR pastiches, others more concerning - the 1:1 rip from Kilar's Dracula). But it also has a BIG heart and is certainly a lot of fun. For a pretty MV-type fantasy score, it feels unusually traditional and magical (the film - which I love - probably helped a lot in shaping it). The first half of the album is a keeper. I love the idea of using a 7/8 rhythm for Septimus.

It doesn't have much depth and has more than its share of ripoffs (some not so troublesome, like the LOTR pastiches, others more concerning - the 1:1 rip from Kilar's Dracula). But it also has a BIG heart and is certainly a lot of fun.

+1

I love the idea of using a 7/8 rhythm for Septimus.

Another fun fact is that Septimus is the seventh track on the album. ;)

It doesn't have much depth and has more than its share of ripoffs (some not so troublesome, like the LOTR pastiches, others more concerning - the 1:1 rip from Kilar's Dracula). But it also has a BIG heart and is certainly a lot of fun.

Still bemused that someone thought it was worthy of this honour, though.

The last minute is the very definition of score bombast, and I used to love it for it, but I dunno, these days it's just a bit much. I mean, it was always OTT, but now it just feels loud for loud's sake. And busy as hell. I know Stefan loves this sort of writing and performance.

Also, I much prefer the more musically defined grand finale of the movie itself before the credits start, with its epic and deeply satisfying brass instead of the choir. It's a little more classy.

Shame we're unlikely to have the original material return for the sequel, let alone its composer.

Current trends? That's not it at all.

It's simple changing tastes. My taste has evolved in the time since ID4, I've become much more fussy. But yes: I've always also been a fan of off-beat or avant garde scoring approaches, too. Pretty much ever since I saw the likes of Suspiria and Dawn of the Dead. Older than Gravity you'll find.

This paranoia people attach to new wave scoring has to stop. It's pathetic.

It's not really all that interesting or revelationary when I've consistently held that line of thought and debate for years here.

I have no interest in the Gravity score whatsoever outside of the movie. It'd bore me.

I want a score to take a good film and make it great. If it so happens that the musical style of the score aligns with my own recreational musical tastes then that's a happy bonus and I'll seek out the album. John, Jerry and James et al were awesome happy coincidences in that regard, for which I'm eternally thankful. They provided me with some great albums.

Jerry in particular wrote some weird scores that only derenged whackjobs like myself listen to apart from their respective films. But I just can't get into the ambience-for-ambience-sake scores that are in-vogue these days.

ID4eva!

I don't mind ambience and minimal at all, but in current film music this is often confused with 'minimal content'. If you listen to minimalist stuff like THE HOURS or THE CLAIM, TREE OF LIFE or even SOLARIS and MOON, you can find all sorts of interesting things going on within the set parameters. Bear McCreary also did some great videogame stuff or EUROPA REPORT in that style.

GRAVITY has some interesting moments apart from the vomit-inducing RCP ending but they are not sustained or musically sound enough apart from the images. And that goes for a lot of recent JNH and Zimmer scores, too. There's a 2-hour wall of music that does not do anything for long stretches of time.

As I mentioned in my review of the movie, Gravity has a couple of cheap score faux pas in there. The sudden shrieks to make you jump etc. Could have done without that and stayed classy, but I guess Alfonso doesn't yet fully have the courage of his convictions or something.

Bear did a cracking job with Europa Report, I agree. A pleasant surprise.

Hook by John Williams

Fitzwilly by John Williams

The Witches of Eastwick by John Williams

When the Whales Came by Christopher Gunning

Hella W. by Panu Aaltio

Defiance by James Newton Howard

Stalingrad: Enjott Schneider

Engaging score to a huge (and grim) 1993 german movie about...you guessed it...the battle of Stalingrad. Schneider was burdened with a Terminator temp track but the end result sounds more like a crossing of Poledouris and Horner with its big symphonic push (with russian overtones) and the clanging rhythms. The fateful main theme is memorable and gets a good and varied workout (Schneider is a well-trained composer with serious symphonic chops).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nMi3vwDsM

I haven't consciously heard much by Schneider, but I remember seeing Schwabenkinder many years ago and being excited by his score. Can't remember a single note of it though, so who knows how I'd react today.