What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Stylistically City Hall and L.A. Confidential sound like close cousins at least. L.A. Confidential and Chinatown are film noirs so that also connects those two. ;)

Hardly, only during the flying scenes. The album is quite varied in that regard, likely to reflect the madness of the character himself.

What I particularly love is how the score's core ideas are summed up in the opening cue, "Icarus" (which is a fantastic piece of music by the way), but everything from that unravels throughout the course of the score.

The castanets will represent the united Free Peoples in the Battle of Five Armies. The reason: Just because.

The River by John Williams

Rosewood by John Williams

Two highly enjoyable forays into deep Americana steeped in blues, jazz and bluegrass with a slight pop/rock-tinge in The River's case. This music sounds like Williams was having fun in dipping into the various vernacular traits of American music, which he himself has explored from so many angles throughout his career, not only as a composer but also as an arranger and a player. Both scores are welcome extensions or should I say revelations of Williams' palette, a composer who is very often brought into to provide pomp and pizzazz but is capable of so much more and whose unique voice continues to surprise with such works from time to time.

Sleepers by John Williams

Another very unique entry in the Maestro's discography, Sleepers is an altogether different beast than the two Americana scores. It is one of the rare times when Williams has dabbled with urban crime/courtroom drama and the results are dark but impressive none the less with brooding consistent and haunting atmosphere and themes. Most listeners are put off by the oppresive and consistently grim mood but if you persist you start to hear the beautiful small nuances and well crafted themes and orchestrations and a masterful dramatic arc built to mirror the very dark story. There are some solace from the ever encapsulating grimness but the finale of the score (Reunion and Finale) is all the more powerful for all the musical anguish and rage that preceded it and the angelic and indeed salvatory flute solo is enough to make me misty eyed time and time again. This score is a persistent guest on my playlist.

Another very unique entry in the Maestro's discography, Sleepers is an altogether different beast than the two Americana scores. It is one of the rare times when Williams has dabbled with urban crime/courtroom drama and the results are dark but impressive none the less with brooding consistent and haunting atmosphere and themes. Most listeners are put off by the oppresive and consistently grim mood but if you persist you start to hear the beautiful small nuances and well crafted themes and orchestrations and a masterful dramatic arc built to mirror the very dark story. There are some solace from the ever encapsulating grimness but the finale of the score (Reunion and Finale) is all the more powerful for all the musical anguish and rage that preceded it and the angelic and indeed salvatory flute solo is enough to make me misty eyed time and time again. This score is a persistent guest on my playlist.

This score took me quite a bit of time to get into. Maybe it was the oppresive and grim moon (in your own words :)) that was so off putting. But I distinctly remember one day, while I was working on a project in a autumnn afternoon (how appropriate), when I started playing the cd (and it was maybe the 4th or 5th cd I listened to that day), and something just opened up. The album, the score, the journey, the construction, it just made sense. It finally clicked with me. Subsequent listens progressively revealed more and more layers of this score, and it has now firmly established itself as my favorite JW from the 90's

The castanets will represent the united Free Peoples in the Battle of Five Armies.

Nah, it will represent the rejoicing of the people in Laketown!

Or the new retaking of Dale..

;)

This score took me quite a bit of time to get into. Maybe it was the oppresive and grim moon (in your own words :)) that was so off putting. But I distinctly remember one day, while I was working on a project in a autumnn afternoon (how appropriate), when I started playing the cd (and it was maybe the 4th or 5th cd I listened to that day), and something just opened up. The album, the score, the journey, the construction, it just made sense. It finally clicked with me. Subsequent listens progressively revealed more and more layers of this score, and it has now firmly established itself as my favorite JW from the 90's

It really took years before this one clicked with me. I think it was the similar case with Saving Private Ryan where my tastes needed to mature before I could "understand" the music. I bought both when I was still in my "all fanfares and hummable themes" phase in my youth so they didn't at first leave too deep a mark in my mind but closer inspection was rewarded bountifully.

The castanets will represent the united Free Peoples in the Battle of Five Armies.

;)

No, they'll represent an ongoing dance between good and evil.

Karol

;)

No, they'll represent an ongoing dance between good and evil.

Karol

Maori choir with castanets battling a female and boys choir with triangles. Evil and Good, eternal struggle. Extremely deep subtext. Extremely deep.

BrokenAgeSoundTrackCover.jpg

Peter McConnell's great score to the first part of Double Fine's wonderful kickstarted adventure game. With Alien allusions in one cue, too.

OOoooh, I'm intrigued!

The Aviator is great, I just wish the recording weren't so dry/thin/brittle.

Agreed.

But this is a great piece!

That's a great performance! That conductor's a bit all over the place though.

Wow that conductor was twitchy at the end. Like had some nervous condition or a stroke.

Who am I to criticize, and I know it's easy to get caught up in the music if it's exhilarating, but that kind of thing borders on being a "showman" conductor, which benefits only the conductor's image, and not the music in any way.

Who am I to criticize, and I know it's easy to get caught up in the music if it's exhilarating, but that kind of thing borders on being a "showman" conductor, which benefits only the conductor's image, and not the music in any way.

Indeed. There is emotional conducting and there is emotional conducting gone overboard. I immediately thought that all that flailing in the video above benefitted the conductor more than the music. It was all "look at me!" instead of "listen to the music".

Hehehe. Watching that without any sound at work made it even funnier. :lol: Man he is intense! Ulf Schirmer is his name.

Chinatown and LA Confidential never sounded very similar to me

they have too, they both feature trademark signature sounds of Jerry Goldsmith. I would have an easier time recognizing Jerry's work more than John's or Horner's.

LOL, you'd think that conductor's performance was ridiculous, check out his other performace:

This conductor doesn't fucking surrender!

:lol: I cracked up around 4:20...too much, too much!

But that was an excellent performance though! Lots of energy and vigorous playing, faster than the original, but still very controlled! Which orchestra is this?

Maybe the conductor is doing something right then? :P