What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Oldboy

Lethal Weapon 2

The Desolation of Smaug

Skyfall

The Good German

Karol

Good stuff Karol. Good stuff. :)

Now listening to King Kong, in memory of John Barry who passed away 3 years ago yesterday. It's the favourite work of his I've got. There's something about this incarnation of Kong that makes it unique - quite typical for Barry in many ways, but, on the other hand quite innovating for the genre itself. It's not your typical monster music, but still somehow manages to convey that foggy and mysterious atmosphere. And the percussion/choir tracks are fun as well.

Karol

Again another Barry score I have not explored yet. But it has gotten so much praise it is another one to the "to listen" list. I wish had more time to focus just one listening to music. I should start ASAP!

:music: Edge of Darkness by Howard Shore

If that makes you feel better, I've got very little time myself to just sit down and enjoy it. For the most part, it's in the background while I'm doing something else.

Karol - who forgot to add there is a danger motif in King Kong ;)

P.S. Another, quite random, thing I forgot to add: Happy Birthday, Philip Glass (not that you're reading that)!

Book of Blood

For $5, I couldn't pass it up. It's good ominous background music... I mostly bought it for that celli theme in "Simon", "All the Stories" and "Book of Blood Suite". It's a consistently listenable score... I really didn't notice any violins during the first listen. The low strings, exotic percussion and woodwinds make for a more sad and introspective experience rather than a usual horror score. There's a bit of the usual horror score cliches, but it avoids that for the most part.

Only buy it if you liked it in the film though.

Superman: The Animated Series

I think score-wise, the composers (Walker, Ritmanis, McCuistion, Cohen, Carter) really focus on storytelling through the music. Not that Batman doesn't do that, but it feels more cohesive and enjoyable. "World's Finest" and "In Brightest Day" really shine, music-wise. Love that motif for Green Lantern, much better than the one for the live-action film.

When I think of "fun" Goldenthal, it's got to be S.W.A.T. - now this is how you do a modern action score for a dumb film. How on earth did he end up working on this I just can't imagine. But then again, there are several projects like that in his resume (Demolition Man, anyone?) :)

Karol

When I think of "fun" Goldenthal, it's got to be S.W.A.T. - now this is how you do a modern action score for a dumb film. How on earth did he end up working on this I just can't imagine. But then again, there are several projects like that in his resume (Demolition Man, anyone?) :)

Karol

A different kind of fun for Goldenthal is Frida. Great Stuff.

I'm really enjoying this recent The Salamander recording from Tadlow/Prometheus. Shame it took me so long to get it. It reminds me a bit of The Challenge.

Well, *fun* fun Goldenthal would be The Butcher Boy.

Never heard this one.

Karol

download_zps5cf16258.jpg

Sometimes I wish Williams, even at his age, would expand his creative borders. Instead of keeping it safe, he and Spielberg should take a little more risk. The score has 'been there, done that' written all over it.

Alex

Chaplin - John Barry

It's the same old Barry mush, repetitive and slow but sue me, i love it more and more every passing year. There is an elegant weight to the Chaplin main theme - effectively apllied to an opening scene showing Robert Downey jr. removing his make-up before a mirror. The original recording is unsurpassed, though so don't settle for one of the re-recordings. Chaplin's own sentimental song SMILE is effectively woven into the score for an even more delicious taste of autumnal reflection.

Oh, well I've heard it before. I still think its fantastic, and one of my favourite works of Goldenthal. It really sums up his voice very well in an accessible way. Great stuff that makes me actually want to see the ballet.

download_zps5cf16258.jpg

Sometimes I wish Williams, even at his age, would expand his creative borders. Instead of keeping it safe, he and Spielberg should take a little more risk. The score has 'been there, done that' written all over it.

Alex

I like the touching melodies of the main theme, but yeah, I agree that it isn't a particularly interesting score. In the film it was actually quite a bad score, which is usual for Williams.

However at his age I don't hold it against the man that he doesn't suddenly start branching out into different or new styles. The pastoral English approach was probably right for that story, but John laid it on far too thickly to the point of twee distraction.

Well, *fun* fun Goldenthal would be The Butcher Boy.

Never heard this one.

The whacky The Francie Brady Show is one of my favourite Goldenthal cues. Sadly it doesn't seem to be on YouTube.

download_zps5cf16258.jpg

Alex

I like the touching melodies of the main theme, but yeah, I agree that it isn't a particularly interesting score. In the film it was actually quite a bad score, which is usual for Williams.

It's the kind of score you'd hear in 1940's films. And it seems that what John Williams was going for, Spielberg's direction is in that style as well. As such, it makes sense. People wrongfully think of it as a war drama - it's not. It's based on a children's story.

One thing I find really interesting about the score is how JW treats themes in it - there are so many of them. And the one you could call the main idea disappears from the film completely in the second act and comes back right at the end.

One more thing: This is also probably the best JW album in ages - it has beginning middle and end.

Karol

First time I hear Hoosiers, Lionheart, Under Fire, The Agony and the Ecstasy in concert form.

Jerry Goldsmith with the National Philharmonic Orchestra in 1989. Good sound quality.

Edit: Just gonna re-post this here for those too lazy to view the previous page:

Jerry Goldsmith with the LSO 1989.

It's so nice hearing Goldsmith sharing all those stories about his work.

The performance of the Masada suite is great!

Wow this is all wonderful! And reminds me that it is high time to listen to some Goldsmith again! :)

It's the kind of score you'd hear in 1940's films. And it seems that what John Williams was going for, Spielberg's direction is in that style as well. As such, it makes sense. People wrongfully think of it as a war drama - it's not. It's based on a children's story.

I think it can be both of those things, and it is both of those things. The Great War is the backdrop, and a significant, vividly realised one in the film.

Spielberg's direction was solid as always, and drop dead gorgeous to look at, but as I said Williams was for me far too heavy-handed with his music on this occasion. It was supposed to be Elgar/Walton-esque in style, but came off feeling more like a cheesy American take on those very English classical aesthetics. I can even hear pure Williams Americana in places, which is most jarring while watching the film.