What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Peter McConnell's great score to the first part of Double Fine's wonderful kickstarted adventure game. With Alien allusions in one cue, too.

OOoooh, I'm intrigued!

The new public launch trailer features not just bits and pieces of the score, but brief shots of both McConnell and the orchestra during the recording sessions as well.

LOL, you'd think that conductor's performance was ridiculous, check out his other performace:

This conductor doesn't fucking surrender!

I'd have gone for a beer at the bar if I were sat in the audience during that. What a terrible cue.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - John Williams (my personal edit of the score, thanks to the help of both Incanus and Faleel)

This is John's masterpiece. Nowhere else (in my own experience) does he reach the level of spirituality that this score is radiant with. Kubrick would certainly have been pleased with it; no last-minute replacements would have happened with this one, heh. It's a journey through a bleak and cold future, with an undercurrent of the most sincere humanity which is allowed to come through in all its warmth by the journey's end. The result is one of the finest efforts of a human being to capture and meditate on the strange marriage of light and darkness that defines our existence.

I sat and listened to this straight through with my family. I don't want to listen to it any other way from now on.

The Return of the King - Maury Laws

I love the main theme, I would like this to get released (the score), though its quite unlikely (which sucks, Its better than Rosenmans IMHO)

same thing with David Cain's The Hobbit.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - John Williams (my personal edit of the score, thanks to the help of both Incanus and Faleel)

This is John's masterpiece. Nowhere else (in my own experience) does he reach the level of spirituality that this score is radiant with. Kubrick would certainly have been pleased with it; no last-minute replacements would have happened with this one, heh. It's a journey through a bleak and cold future, with an undercurrent of the most sincere humanity, which is allowed to come through in all its warmth by the journey's end. The result is one of the finest efforts of a human being to capture and meditate on the strange marriage of both the light and darkness that defines our existence.

I sat and listened to this straight through with my family. I don't want to listen to it any other way from now on.

Lovely post, you made me revisit this score

This is John's masterpiece. Nowhere else (in my own experience) does he reach the level of spirituality that this score is radiant with. Kubrick would certainly have been pleased with it; no last-minute replacements would have happened with this one, heh. It's a journey through a bleak and cold future, with an undercurrent of the most sincere humanity, which is allowed to come through in all its warmth by the journey's end. The result is one of the finest efforts of a human being to capture and meditate on the strange marriage of both the light and darkness that defines our existence.

Kubrick was a fickle man. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a panic attack and tossed the score entirely in favour of some Wendy Carlos synths.

3 stars seems to be about what I expected. No one seems really blown away by it

Maybe I'll check it out on Spotify

3 stars seems to be about what I expected. No one seems really blown away by it

Maybe I'll check it out on Spotify

It's a contemporary-styled thriller music. Competent and solid. And contains probably the best impression of Russian choir I've ever heard.

Karol

No, not at all. It was Basil from start to finish. There is a certain sound to it that eludes most writers. Doyle's choir is much closer to what it actually sounds like.

Although, "Russian choir" term is quite misleading. It's more about "orthodox Church" sound, really.

It might sounds like a bit of nitpicking, but most choirs like this in films don't quite catch the spirit.

Karol

Lincoln by John Williams

Music from the Edge by John Corigliano

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams

Lincoln by John Williams

Music from the Edge by John Corigliano

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams

No Cage or Adams?

Those are composers I should explore more actually. My knowledge of their works is rather paltry at the moment. Any suggestions where to start Alan?

Oldboy

Lethal Weapon 2

The Desolation of Smaug

Skyfall

The Good German

Karol

Good stuff Karol. Good stuff. :)

Oldboy

Lethal Weapon 2

The Desolation of Smaug

Skyfall

The Good German

Karol

Good stuff Karol. Good stuff. :)

Now listening to King Kong, in memory of John Barry who passed away 3 years ago yesterday. It's the favourite work of his I've got. There's something about this incarnation of Kong that makes it unique - quite typical for Barry in many ways, but, on the other hand quite innovating for the genre itself. It's not your typical monster music, but still somehow manages to convey that foggy and mysterious atmosphere. And the percussion/choir tracks are fun as well.

Karol