What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Did they even collaborate on a score after 1990? I know she wasn't involved with Batman Returns, and that's a great score. And Nightmare Before Christmas, Sommersby, Black Beauty, Mars Attacks, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man are all top-tier Elfman.

Yeah, scratch that, sorry. I assumed she did more than that for Elfman. 

I'm transferring Batman Returns as we speak and was shocked to discover she's not credited! I guess Elfman really does have talent. Nevermind!

Still, I remain positive she's the reason Child's Play 2 is great.

Currently experiencing a casual reminder that Batman Returns is my absolute favorite work Elfman's ever done.

It's also the very rare score where the complete 96-minute listening is consistently captivating all the way through.

:music: Deadpool 2 by Tyler Bates. Looks like Tyler Bates decided to follow John Williams' footsteps and also adapt Robert Graves' The Battle of the Trees to add extra spiritual dimension to a major fight scene. This time, they first translated it into Greek then into Sanskrit and then into Latin

Karol

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Yeah, scratch that, sorry. I assumed she did more than that for Elfman. 

I'm transferring Batman Returns as we speak and was shocked to discover she's not credited! I guess Elfman really does have talent. Nevermind!

Still, I remain positive she's the reason Child's Play 2 is great.

The only thing Walker wrote for Elfman was "Charge of the Berserkers" for Nightbreed. The bulk of the work she did for him was conducting and orchestrating. 

OST's a tad expensive from what I've seen, so I'd rather hope for an Intrada/LLL release or whatever. I've also heard horror stories about the sound quality on The Frighteners' OST.

The Cloverfield Paradox - Bear McCreary

What a cool score.  I may not like it as much 10CL (mostly because I loved that movie so much), but this is some seriously good and entertaining and varied sci-fi horror music.  It can be rhythmically fun, sweepingly epic, and quietly emotional.  Great stuff!  McCreary has produced at least one Really Great film score three years running (10CL in 2016, Rebel in the Rye last year, Cloverfield Paradox this year).  He's very much on a roll for me!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I agree with Disco Stu!

The rest of his 2018 looks like the typical indie horror fare that he seems to score by the dozens.  There's usually one or two good cues from those, and who knows maybe I'll be surprised by one of them!

Have you listened to his God of War soundtrack yet?  I've had one fairly cursory listen, need to to dig in more.

Bear McCreary - God of War

My first time listening.  Holy crap!  My first thought was something like "Wow I didn't know Bear had it in him", which is of course ridiculous since he's worked with orchestras of all sizes.  I'm just used to his work that is more sparsely orchestrated I guess (BSG, Europa Report, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Everly, etc).  This is a powerhouse that kicks into high gear right away and stays there, and it is pretty impressive!  Lots of choir work, which sounded pretty good.  This is an album I'll return to soon!

That answers my question!  I didn't find the thematic material as immediately engaging as some of my favorite McCreary stuff, but it's definitely worth revisiting to see if it comes more into focus in that regard.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bear McCreary - God of War

My first time listening.  Holy crap!  My first thought was something like "Wow I didn't know Bear had it in him", which is of course ridiculous since he's worked with orchestras of all sizes.  I'm just used to his work that is more sparsely orchestrated I guess (BSG, Europa Report, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Everly, etc).  This is a powerhouse that kicks into high gear right away and stays there, and it is pretty impressive!  Lots of choir work, which sounded pretty good.  This is an album I'll return to soon!

I too was quite impressed with this one. I'll need to give it a few more listens soon. 

Yea, it was a lot to take in on first listen, but unlike most modern film music OST albums, I actually WANT to give it a second listen, and real soon!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, it was a lot to take in on first listen, but unlike most modern film music OST albums, I actually WANT to give it a second listen, and real soon!

This is so true!

Yea.  I truly try to check out and stay up to date with the modern world of film music, I pretty much listen to all the current scores that people are talking about.  But most of them really don't do much for me and when it comes down to listening to one of them again or returning to an old classic, I mostly just get the jonesing for an old classic.

Playing some EA Battlefront II with continuous music mode made me rediscover how much I adore Phantom Menace. My complete edit is alright, but this one really needs a properly done expansion with many alternates. It would be an instabuy. I tried the new OST on Spotify but didn't like the presentation nearly as much as the OT ones.

The Phantom Menace OST album is very very good... until you see the film or otherwise hear the rest of the music recorded for it, and realize how many highlights he neglected to include on the OST album.  Only then does it suffer.  As its own piece of music in a bubble, it's pretty dang great.

Star Trek:  The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith

For a classic big symphonic score fix, there's no better choice.  I like how Jerrald scores the "meld" climax as an interdimensional love scene.  

9 hours ago, Jay said:

The Phantom Menace OST album is very very good... until you see the film or otherwise hear the rest of the music recorded for it, and realize how many highlights he neglected to include on the OST album.  Only then does it suffer.  As its own piece of music in a bubble, it's pretty dang great.

I don't think I have given the OST a spin since early 2000's as I find it a highly unsatisfying presentation of the music from the film as it is missing so many highlights.

Banner Saga by Austin Wintory: While quite sparse in orchestrations I do have certain fondness for the quasi-Nordic atmosphere and vocal work found in this score. As always Wintory builds a very compelling and unique aural atmosphere with his music while also crafting the work a thematic through-line which gives it dramatic heft and cohesion.

Medal of Honor: Underground by Michael Giacchino: This one is not quite as satisfying as the first score or the other sequels but gives its own unique spin to the franchise with a new main theme for the new main French Resistance character and a lot of entertaining locale and action setpieces that dance away with jaunty motion that owes a lot to John Williams' Indiana Jones scores in particular. Choir is also an added colour here, e.g. in The Battle of Monte Cassino which uses a boys choir to bolster the liturgical undertones of the track and Amongst the Dead containing some cool creepy choral work.

Well, my break from music didn't last long before I got the urge to listen to this one again. I'll try to keep away from hearing anything from here until Friday though. 

This is one of the few Powell albums I would tweak in any way, as otherwise he's pretty consistently great at presenting his scores at just the right length and selecting the best cues (I would also offer similar praise for Christopher Young's consistently great album presentations). In this case, taking a 74-minute listening and just trimming it down to 65, and of course combining all the cues that had to be split up (choir re-use fees and all that nonsense). The cues for Scrat's romantic hi-jinks are funny, they just break up the flow a little. 

I think what I love about this one (besides the inherent joy of OMG POWELL DOING DINOSAUR MUSIC) is how much it overall feels like one of those endless jungle adventure scores we got in the 90's (Congo, Mighty Joe Young, Jurassic Park, etc), just of course in the 2000's and in the Powell flavor I can't help but get such an absurdly massive joy out of. Even though this is for one of those cheap dumb animated kiddie pictures, it's actually a pretty reasonable facsimile of a score for a big-budget dinosaur blockbuster epic (and in many aspects far surpasses some scores done for actual big-budget dinosaur blockbuster epics). 

It's pretty dense with reoccurring themes too. Besides the themes carried over from the previous Ice Age score (Manny's theme, Sid's, the mammoths in general), there's now Buck's theme, a theme for Rudy the baronyx, what seems to be a theme for the baby T-rexes, a theme for the dinosaur world that's presented at least a couple times, and possibly others I might be missing.

It's not the best of what Powell contributed to these movies and for Blue Sky in general, but I tend to go back to this one a lot after I made my aforementioned adjustments to the listening experience. And of course, the end credits is just scrumptious!

(I love the farting brass at the beginning of this cue)

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall (Quartet complete)

Great score!

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

One of his very best scores of the 2010s for sure!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese Deluxe)

One of the best action scores of all time!

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element (Complete)

Love it, but it really peters out at the end, I wonder if there is a more exciting finale cue for some future expanded edition someday

John Powell - How To Train Your Dragon 2 (OST)

Super fun!  Skipped the songs, though

John Powell - Ferdinand (OST)

More fun!

Pumped for Solo now!

10 Cloverfield Lane by Bear McCreary: I don't really know how I discovered, but I loved it the first time I listened to it. Especially in context, this makes one of the best thriller scores of the last years. With a wonderful main theme that is constructed and deconstructed through all the score making you feel anxious and tense. The score lurks around for many moments keeping you on edge, and from time to time it bursts with pure energy, with the full orchestral power. McCreary did a wonderful job with this one (and he used the Blaster Beam!)

The Cloverfield Paradox by Bear McCreary: At first I was hoping that the theme from 10CL would return in this one so when I didn't hear it I felt a bit disappointed. But after listening to the whole album, I must say that this is on ar with this first one, but this time in the sci-fi horror genre. The main theme reminds me of some kind of mix between the Cloverfield Lane theme and the Giacchino's Roar! Overture. And there is a bit of the more emotional themes that almost sound like Cloverfield Lane, so it's a nice connection.

How to Train Your Dragon 1 & 2 by John Powell: I have recently listened to these, but I had to come back because I love them so much. I don't need to say a lot about this ones because they speak for themselves. Powell's best scores to date (I prefer the second). Full of memorable themes that play with each other, change and adapt themselves to make jump and dance of joy, but can also make you cry with their pure emotions. And the way Powell handles the orchestra and lets the instruments shine for their own is magnific and something that is becoming more and more rare nowadays. But we still have him and a few others who keep this orchestral magic alive.

Can you listen more John Williams' scores please.

- The Direction

____

It's spring, let's be jazzy baby! :lovethis:

John Williams - Catch me if you can (without the songs)