Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

Josh500

I've heard enough non-Williams Harry Potter music by now to know that nobody but Williams knows how to handle it properly.

And you would know that. :blink: We haven't heard any of Desplat's score for Part One, let alone on CD or how it's edited into the movie. For all we know, Desplat could knock it out of the park. Or not.

That's not the point.

The point is that Hedwig's Theme is overused in the films after PoA, except maybe GoF, and that it got more and more out of touch with the films. After all, there is a reason Williams reduced its use drastically in PoA.

Hedwig's Theme plays... three times in HBP and only two of the statements is in the OST.

yes, of any problems in the recent Harry Potter scores, i wouldn't say over using Hedwig's Theme is one of them.

And i don't think it's because the theme is out of touch with the tone of the current films either, it just needs to be adapted appropriately. I actually love Hooper's use of the theme in OotP ( the very few times it is briefly on display), my favourite being the very dark and ominous version of theme which plays under where Harry picks up and hears the Prophecy in the department of Mysteries. For me, Hedwig's theme does not represent the Owl or Harry, but rather Harry's introduction and further discoveries into the wizarding world (as Hedwig is very much a metaphor for childhood innocence entering this new world) and the theme is actually very versatile and can be adapted appropriately.

As I said, i love Hooper's working of the theme in this pivotal moment of discovery in the series and i only wish he had continued this trend in HBP (which he didn't do unfortunately). In Gof and HBP, Hedwig's Theme seems to function merely as a nice piece of scene transition scoring which completely misses the point of this wonderful bit of music IMO.

Hedwig's theme is obviously not married to the owl, just named for it. It's a general theme representing the wizarding world. That's how I take it.

I didn't like its use in post-POA scores. As soon as it's heard in GOF, everything is wrong. Like no one but John Williams can make that theme work.

I'm sorry to say that but gkgyver your comment proves you know nothing about the last three Potter movies. It's just plainly not right what you are saying.

For the record:

In Goblet of Fire Hedwig's theme appears for about 3 minutes in a 2 hour score

In Order of the Phoenix you have it appearing in about the same capacity - again 3 minutes

In Half Blood Pince Hedwig's theme only appears three times (first time only the opening bars of the theme, then the short version on the OST and a longer version in Hogwarts's express...THATS IT)

All in all little over 1 minute in a 2 hour plus score!!!

If you count the appearances in POA they are better spread throughout the whole score and probably you got 5-6 minutes or so of the theme/ first bars

So how in the world is Hedwig's theme overused if it appears even less than in PoA were it is very lightly used by John Williams?

The point is that Hedwig's Theme is overused in the films after PoA, except maybe GoF, and that it got more and more out of touch with the films. After all, there is a reason Williams reduced its use drastically in PoA.

How is it overused in the post-Williams films? If anything, they didn't use it enough in different arrangements (OOTP was the only film where it's overused IMO) or most criminally, never used the other motifs outside of HBP.

I think how the theme is used just depends on the composer. If Desplat scored DH: Part One well without relying a lot on Williams' theme, I'll be very pleased. Heck, I think he could do a great Potter score without Williams' theme.

How is it overused in the post-Williams films? If anything, they didn't use it enough in different arrangements (OOTP was the only film where it's overused IMO) or most criminally, never used the other motifs outside of HBP.

I think how the theme is used just depends on the composer. If Desplat scored DH: Part One well without relying a lot on Williams' theme, I'll be very pleased. Heck, I think he could do a great Potter score without Williams' theme.

Again how are 5 minutes of Hedwig's theme in a 2 hour+ OOTP score overused? I cant follow you, how can that be overused for a franchise title theme. Are you even serious when posting such things or don't you think about it and just write? I don't get it at all, sry :/

Doyle put effort into it.

Effort makes me respect the composer...but not the composition. At the end of the day, all that really matters is how effective the music is. :) (And although I do enjoy some parts of the score, there's something about it that kinda rubs me the wrong way.)

Yeah, exactly, it's irrelevant as far as the objective listener is concerned. Nicholas Hooper put plenty of effort into his Potter scores, as well. He started work on them even before production of the films themselves started, and both scores are the result of 18-months work on his part. It took a tremendous amount of effort, but that's not the point. The point is that the scores themselves (while fun) are just not anywhere near the same standard that Williams was able to set with one-sixth of the time and effort Hooper put in.

In Gof and HBP, Hedwig's Theme seems to function merely as a nice piece of scene transition scoring which completely misses the point of this wonderful bit of music IMO.

To be fair, that's really the only function it served in Williams' POA score, as well. I've found the minimal use of the theme appropriate, personally. Everyone knows the theme and recognizes it as the musical identity of HP, there's no use in beating a dead horse, and I actually appreciated Doyle's attempts to give it a fresh sound. I have more of a problem with the total disappearance of the other motifs and themes. Where's "Nimbus 2000"? Where's "A Window to the Past"? "Family Portrait"? What about the three-note loop? Where's Doyle's "Harry In Winter" theme? It's all so piecemeal.

Hedwig's Theme plays... three times in HBP and only two of the statements is in the OST.

And Hedwig's Theme plays in PoA how many times ...?

Doyle used it for what it says on the tin, HEDWIG's theme. Hooper used it in quite illogical places, and throwaway moments, like it's some sort of accidental music. With Hooper, the theme lost its thematic identity (what it represents). How can you expect a theme to resonate when you don't use it for what it was intended?

And the element - the aspect - it represented has largely vanished from the series.

It's fine as an opening musical statement, to keep the musical identity, but as score material, it doesn't belong into the films very much anymore, at least not in the way Hooper did it.

And I doubt using it in DH a great deal will give the film any benefit.

About four-five times. But that doesn't make it overused in HBP.

I'm sorry to say that but gkgyver your comment proves you know nothing about the last three Potter movies. It's just plainly not right what you are saying.

For the record:

In Goblet of Fire Hedwig's theme appears for about 3 minutes in a 2 hour score

In Order of the Phoenix you have it appearing in about the same capacity - again 3 minutes

In Half Blood Pince Hedwig's theme only appears three times (first time only the opening bars of the theme, then the short version on the OST and a longer version in Hogwarts's express...THATS IT)

All in all little over 1 minute in a 2 hour plus score!!!

So how in the world is Hedwig's theme overused if it appears even less than in PoA were it is very lightly used by John Williams?

I didn't say it was overused in GoF.

It's not just the pure number of minutes or instances of appearance that make the theme overused. If you don't know what to do with an iconic theme that's not your own, and have no better idea than just recording a generic statement over some throwaway scene, then even those three instances are three instances too many, considering what a fine piece of music it is.

Even if Williams did use Hedwig's Theme in PoA just as "often", there is an outstanding tapestry of new themes and more developed material surrounding it, and Williams made it fit those surroundings. A statement like in "Secrets Of The Castle" or in the scene with Harry and Lupin has, atmospherically and in the matter of importance, nothing to do with either PS or COS.

It may be true that the last three films lacked a truly inspired form of the theme in some key scenes, but I still stand by my claim that nobody but Williams can pull that off, no offense to Alexandre Desplat, who surely is twice the composer Hooper is.

No, but it makes a point, which is that Williams used the theme just as sparingly, but implemented it better, not like "alright, I have to use it, here it is ..."

No, but it makes a point, which is that Williams used the theme just as sparingly, but implemented it better, not like "alright, I have to use it, here it is ..."

Alright. Well, I was commenting on the statement that it was overused, not how it was used. :)

Doubt this is real. Especially when seeing the date the video was posted. Nice fan track, though. But I doubt anyone would have obtained the score as early as August 15th.

Yeah. Didn't Desplat start recording the score late August through October? :)

The number of tracks indicates a more fragmented score ... sometimes I crave those Williams edit jobs just for listening purposes. But it's probably better to make a suite yourself than having to make your own chronological edit.

As far as the poll is concerned, I own the first 5 on CD.

I wouldn't dream of actually purchasing HBP.

Eh, as I realised, this doesn't really answer the poll :)

The answer is that I will buy both parts, and if it's just to expand my horizon on Desplat (and whoever does part 2)

Tracklist:

1. Obliviate 03:02

18. Hermione's Parents 05:51

This is confusing. These two tracks are presumably taken from the same scene in the film (part of an opening sequence that shows the central trio preparing for their journey, and features Hermione "modifying" her parents' memories, giving them new aliases, and sending them off to Australia for protection from Voldemort), so...

- Why are there two separate tracks?

- Why is "Hermione's Parents" placed in the middle of the album and so far away from its companion, when the rest of the tracks seem to be arranged chronologically?

- Moreover, why do Hermione's parents land the honor of the longest piece of the album, clocking in at just under 6 minutes (!!!) when, by all accounts, they are never mentioned again in the film and their only scene is merely part of a handful of small, emotional beats before the title?

- Why?

Yeah, you saw it coming!

For me, so far, NO on both counts. I might go see the movie in theaters, and if I am VERY impressed, I will buy it. (I don't think I will be, though.)

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Part/dp/B0043URV8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287648804&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Part/dp/B0047VEE0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287648860&sr=1-2

If the sheet music included with the Collector's Edition shown in the product photo is any indication of the quality of the score, this won't be on my list. It looks like nothing so much as a simple repetitive scale exercise out of some intermediate clarinet student's method book.

Tracklist:

This is confusing. These two tracks are presumably taken from the same scene in the film (part of an opening sequence that shows the central trio preparing for their journey, and features Hermione "modifying" her parents' memories, giving them new aliases, and sending them off to Australia for protection from Voldemort), so...

- Why is "Hermione's Parents" placed in the middle of the album and so far away from its companion, when the rest of the tracks seem to be arranged chronologically?

- Moreover, why do Hermione's parents land the honor of the longest piece of the album, clocking in at just under 6 minutes (!!!) when, by all accounts, they are never mentioned again in the film and their only scene is merely part of a handful of small, emotional beats before the title?

- Why?

Here's a thought: Maybe the movie isn't exactly like the book? Huh.

I have to agree that the statements of Hedwig's theme have felt rather...clumsily put to use in all three post-Williams scores. Even though Hooper did a very nice job of preserving the orchestration in HBP, it still doesn't feel like an organic part of the score. And then Doyle just put a weird twist on the whole thing, changing the chords and rhythm and giving the melody to the violins. Some of the results aren't bad, but I definitely prefer Williams' approach.

Tracklist:

- Why?

Or maybe it's the music playing under Harry and Hermione's 'dance', maybe she talks about them. I'm sure it's cause Hermione is missing them at some point in the movie.

I like the track titles. Nothing so blatant or annoyingly obvious like the previous scores. Even though i know the books backwards it still always annoys me to see track titles like "death of Sirius" or "Cedric Dies". Bleh!

I like it when Composers actually name their tracks like they are pieces of music to be heard by an outside audience, not something they might have scribbled down once to remember what scene they're supposed to be scoring which later turned into a title.

I like the track titles. Nothing so blatant or annoyingly obvious like the previous scores. Even though i know the books backwards it still always annoys me to see track titles like "death of Sirius" or "Cedric Dies". Bleh!

Like ... "Dobby's Goodbye"?

Well, if you've got more power, and I've got more power, I guess we're back to square one, comparatively at least. Quite an impasse. If anyone's got any iocaine powder, I know a way we could settle it...

I think Desplat is going that direction, judging by the statement he made at the Cannes Film Festival ("I'd say it was not sufficiently used in the latest movies, so if I have the opportunity and if the footage will allow me, I will arrange it [...]"). But we're not sure.

I really want some sound clips of the score. Koray, do you work at any Regal or AMC theaters? The Fontana digital PDF said those chains would be releasing sampler CDs of the score there.

It may be true that the last three films lacked a truly inspired form of the theme in some key scenes, but I still stand by my claim that nobody but Williams can pull that off, no offense to Alexandre Desplat, who surely is twice the composer Hooper is.

I saw HALF-BLOOD PRINCE for the first time yesterday and man, did the music...not impress.

But i have to digress, Williams wouldn't have made his tune fit, he just wouldn't have used it. It's just too jaunty and it seems rather pointless to invest hard work to make it appear not so. The B-theme (the Schindler-like) could work, however.

I saw HALF-BLOOD PRINCE for the first time yesterday and man, did the music...not impress.

Yates switching over to Desplat from Hooper is a very smart move. Desplat is a breath of fresh air, just from the soundtrack samples alone.

Yes, I am sufficiently impressed by the samples alone to know that Desplat has achieved more than Hooper, but I'm still on the fence on whether Desplat will be appropriate for Part 2.

The soundtrack preview clips are up at Amazon.uk: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I soundtrack

EDIT: Oh right there is an actual thread for Potter stuff and the link is already there. Well moderators, does it hurt to have this link here as well? :)