Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 by Alexandre Desplat

Josh500

- 2nd CD with additional score

Damn. I was kinda hoping it was something I wouldn't want. :)

Let's hope by 'additional score' they don't mean 'crappy remixes.'

The Amazon listing has now been updated with a product description:

Product Description

- Individually numbered Certificate of Authenticity

- PremierCell Presentation of high quality film photography on heavy cardstock featuring two 35MM film cells cut from the movie reel. Comes with attachable easel.

- 7 inch double sided picture Vinyl Disc with score from the movie

- DVD with 5.1 audio mix of Alexandre Desplat s score and a

7 minute video featurette of the scoring session, along with

interviews with Composer Alexandre Desplat and Producers David Heyman and David Barron.

- Movie Poster

- Orchestral Sheet Music from recording session at Abbey Road Studios signed by Alexandre Desplat

- Soundtrack on CD

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS,

the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series,

is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two

full-length parts.

Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous

mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort s immortality

and destruction the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance of

their professors or the protection of Professor Dumbledore, the three

friends must now rely on one another more than ever. But there are

Dark Forces in their midst that threaten to tear them apart.

Score composed by GRAMMY AWARD®, ACADEMY AWARD® and

GOLDEN GLOBE® Nominee ALEXANDRE DESPLAT

(THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEWMOON, THE QUEEN,

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON)

Vinyl? And it doesn't seem to mention "complete" anywhere in that... strange description it seems to me.

It looks more like a regular OST and 'More music from' packaged together.

Doyle's score is bland, generic and boring. He's capable of so much better, Henry V is one of my favorites.

I'd pull out the Luthor pic but I actually like you.

;) It's OK, I can take it. I know I'm right. ;)

Doyle's score is bland, generic and boring. He's capable of so much better, Henry V is one of my favorites.

I'd pull out the Luthor pic but I actually like you.

;) It's OK, I can take it. I know I'm right. ;)

you are correct, Doyle's score is bland, generic and boring. It's clearly the worst of the 6 films so far. I expect it to stay the worst after 8 scores.

All those words and they can't be bothered to tell us if it's expanded or complete? They must be hiring the same PR guys that Concord used in the Indy Box days.

I don't think they realize the fanboy film score community's need for precise press releases. Our sanity depends on it.

Tracklist:

1. Obliviate 03:02

2. Snape to MaIfoy Manor 01:58

3. PoIyjuice Potion 03:32

4. Sky Battle 03:49

5. At The Burrow 02:35

6. Harry and Ginny 01:44

7. The WiII 03:39

8. Death Eaters 03:15

9. Dobby 03:49

10. Ministry of Magic 01:46

11. Detonators 02:23

12. The Locket 01:52

13. Fireplaces Escape 02:55

14. Ron Leaves 02:36

15. The Exodus 01:38

16. Godric's HolIow Graveyard 03:15

17. BathiIda Bagshot 03:54

18. Hermione's Parents 05:51

19. Destroying the Locket 01:11

20. Ron's Speech 02:17

21. Lovegood 03:28

22. The DeathIy HalIows 03:18

23. Captured and Tortured 02:57

24. Rescuing Hermione 01:51

25. FarewelI to Dobby 03:44

26. The EIder Wand 01:37

Dammit, the only thing I care about in that set is the additional music. Not really worth $70. I can just take as many 35MM cells that I want from work ;)

It seems like the regular CD version will have most of the important music anyway.

We currently have THREE Harry Potter threads at the top of this page. Can't they all be merged into one big HP thread? Sounds like sense to me.

Edit: Actually, I just counted six different HP threads. Anywhere else and a mod would call that a bloody mess!

Since when are you the organised type, English?

I own all six, being a HP fan, and I like all of them for something even though the last three are clearly not in the same league. I agree that I find Doyle's a little too Bombastic, but i do enjoy the waltzes a lot. Out of Hooper's work I actually quite enjoy OotP and have a couple of Highlights in HBP; I think Hooper's best work in HBP is of a higher standard than his best in OotP, but unfortunately HBP is very inconsistent IMO

Can't wait to hear Desplat's work, as he is one of my favourite composers working in film today. Will be buying the Collector's i imagine...I'm a massive sucker for pretty packaging hehe

Agreed on this. I'm a fan of the books and the films, as well as a completist, so I just get a strange pleasure out of seeing all six albums side-by-side on the shelf, regardless of how good the music itself is. And while I agree with the majority that Doyle and Hooper's scores aren't anywhere near Williams', musically, they still serve their respective films perfectly fine, and they're a hell of a lot of fun on album, at least for someone like me, a Harry Potter fan who is always interested in hearing new music based on JK Rowling's universe. I'll take what I can get ;)

I will add Deathly Hallows pt#1 to my HP score collection, and then DH pt#2 next summer to complete the set regardless of the composer for the 8th score.

So you have the choice between CD, DVD, and Vinyl record... Wow, this score must be good to warrant this ;) BTW, how many of you guys can still play a Vinyl record, and why exactly is it worth the trouble (forgive me if this is blatantly obvious, but I grew up in the era of CD...)?

Desplat's Management says not complete. I emailed them.

Hi,

Apologies for bothering you. I have noticed that there will be a boxset for Alexandre Desplat's score to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I, including film cells and various things but also four discs, including a DVD. Will Mr. Desplat's complete score for the film be available in this box?

Thank you,

Charlie,

In answer to your question: No, I don't believe so.

Sorry.

Robert M. Urband

Robert Urband & Associates, Inc

8981 Sunset Blvd. Suite 311

W. Hollywood, Ca. 90069]

I think the vinyl is purely a novelty that seems to be kind of popular again to at least merely have for some reason. Retro I guess. ;) Do many people have a player that can play it anymore though, or even one that works? heh.

Well, although that message said it will not be complete, I believe it'll at least be expanded, since the page does state a 2nd CD of "additional music". What else could that mean besides more music from this score?

I think the vinyl is purely a novelty that seems to be kind of popular again to at least merely have for some reason. Retro I guess. ;) Do many people have a player that can play it anymore though, or even one that works? heh.

Well, although that message said it will not be complete, I believe it'll at least be expanded, since the page does state a 2nd CD of "additional music". What else could that mean besides more music from this score?

Dance remixes? *ducks*

I regularly buy vinyl and play it a lot. In fact, if the actual OST was available on vinyl, I'd consider buying it.

I regularly buy vinyl and play it a lot. In fact, if the actual OST was available on vinyl, I'd consider buying it.

So what are the advantages of vinyl? Does it sound better in any way? I think I only had one that came with a book of sheet music (a long, long time ago), and I was not particularly impressed even then.

So what are the advantages of vinyl? Does it sound better in any way? I think I only had one that came with a book of sheet music (a long, long time ago), and I was not particularly impressed even then.

It's pretty subjective. Some people swear vinyl sounds better than CD, others say it's nonsense. Personally, I think vinyl (when it's in proper condition) has a deeper and warmer sound than CD. However, you need a really good (and thus expensive) turntable to really hear the differences, at least to me.

The best example I can give is Yoda's Theme. I have never ever heard it sound anywhere near as good, as enveloping, and as warm as it does on the original LP. But then ESB's never really had a good life on CD.

Desplat's signing 10,000 scores? That'd get tiresome...

Warner Brothers seems to be really into releases with lots of bells and whistles. An LP?! I do like the potential trend of releasing bits of the written score.

I think I'll still get this big set. Expanded is better than nothing, and who knows, maybe it will be mostly complete. At least with 2 discs all the music that really matters can be presented. The DVD could be cool, the LP doesn't matter much to me. The signed piece of score could be cool, assuming it's hand signed and not auto-penned. I'm not much into the frills of the release, but I'd like to support it in case they are thinking about doing something similar with the other scores, obviously the Williams scores in particular.

Heck...I'd even buy the Hooper scores done this way.

I tried reading it. It sounds like the Celleste line but ignoring the opening. It's simply "the runs." It's noted as "track 3"... but it's not quite right... which may mean it's a derivation of it which may indicate that He took some creative decisions in using William's themes and...well... used William's themes lol...

Track 3 also indicates that it's not the opening... which all the other scores would only use Hedwig's theme in the opening and closing... track 3 would be neither...sooo :-D

EDIT:

Reading the sheet music again... it can't be right... it changes metre like... every measure...

Also the runs are a bit different than in Hedwig's theme, so apparently he's adapting the flurry texture but applying it in his own way. For me that's a good sign :) We'll see

That is a good sign. Hopefully it's not as out of place as the verbatim statement of Hedwig's Theme towards the beginning of Half-Blood Prince.

In other news, listening to Doyle's Goblet of Fire score for the first time in a while. It really is a rich, beautiful score. If it wasn't for the fact that it came immediately after PoA and had the Potter reputation riding on it I reckon a lot more people would like it.

The fanfares are getting old (just like I remembered), but there's a heck of a lot of good stuff here. "Voldemort" alone is worth the price for me.

I will add Deathly Hallows pt#1 to my HP score collection, and then DH pt#2 next summer to complete the set regardless of the composer for the 8th score.

Maybe it's Nicholas Hooper, making his Big Comeback! :)

I tried reading it. It sounds like the Celleste line but ignoring the opening. It's simply "the runs." It's noted as "track 3"... but it's not quite right... which may mean it's a derivation of it which may indicate that He took some creative decisions in using William's themes and...well... used William's themes lol...

Track 3 also indicates that it's not the opening... which all the other scores would only use Hedwig's theme in the opening and closing... track 3 would be neither...sooo :-D

EDIT:

Reading the sheet music again... it can't be right... it changes metre like... every measure...

Actually, I was going to say that it looks like the Violin I part of Hedwig's Theme, rather than the celeste. Still, no idea why it's written in common time...

And just because it's Track 3 and not in the opening seconds of the film doesn't necessarily mean it can't be Hedwig's Theme. Nicholas Hooper included a couple rather bold statements of the theme in his score for the sixth film (one can be found on Track 4, "Ginny" of the OST), and neither appeared right at the beginning. And I believe Desplat has said he's planning on using the theme quite a bit throughout his score.

And just because it's Track 3 and not in the opening seconds of the film doesn't necessarily mean it can't be Hedwig's Theme. Nicholas Hooper included a couple rather bold statements of the theme in his score for the sixth film (one can be found on Track 4, "Ginny" of the OST), and neither appeared right at the beginning. And I believe Desplat has said he's planning on using the theme quite a bit throughout his score.

Somehow, I don't like that thought.

I've heard enough non-Williams Harry Potter music by now to know that nobody but Williams knows how to handle it properly.

I've heard enough non-Williams Harry Potter music by now to know that nobody but Williams knows how to handle it properly.

And you would know that. ;) We haven't heard any of Desplat's score for Part One, let alone on CD or how it's edited into the movie. For all we know, Desplat could knock it out of the park. Or not.

Considering the needless part 1 box set, I have a feeling they're definitely going to release all the complete scores soon.

And how would you know that? This is a good indicator that WB is testing the waters to see if expanded/complete Potter scores can sell. I have a feeling that in order to get Williams' expanded scores for the first three films, Desplat's Part One set has to do well. That way, both Williams and Potter fans will be tempted to buy the remaining seven sets to complete their collection.

John Williams can sell a high number of CDs just by his attachment alone. However, an SRP of $80 and a run of 10,000 copies isn't going to sell unless you give the Potter fans incentive to double-dip. Hence the extra collectible stuff like the vinyl edition, the film stills and the DVD with the scoring featurette.

Nothing like that entices me, I don't know about you. I just want the music. That they would be willing to go all out like this for a score nobody has heard makes at least some sense. This is the company that delayed the release of the last movie and split up part 7 just to prolong the series. They don't need to test the waters or anything with a Desplat box set that nobody has heard. Releasing all the scores in $80 sets would be ridiculous even for HP. I don't think anyone seriously sees that happening. At least I'm not anticipating some JW HP vinyl, DVDs or 5.1 sound.

Well, I canceled my preorder for the OST, so I can have some more time to decide if I want to get that or this big fancy set. Maybe if the score's really good and the discount gets better...

Doubt this is real. Especially when seeing the date the video was posted. Nice fan track, though. But I doubt anyone would have obtained the score as early as August 15th.

Yeah, didn't see the date. But there are several of those floating around, most of them patently fake. This one seemed almost real, although it seems inspired by Zimmer's minimalistic minor arpeggios from the Batman films and DA VINCI CODE, which seems a not-too-unlikely temp.

Doyle put effort into it.

Effort makes me respect the composer...but not the composition. At the end of the day, all that really matters is how effective the music is. :blink: (And although I do enjoy some parts of the score, there's something about it that kinda rubs me the wrong way.)

Wow, I completely overlooked that post about the Limited Edition.

If I can afford it by then, I will buy it - amazon.de wants 90€ for it (125$!!!) I think I shall order it though amazon.com.

But don't you get the feeling..

well THIS (atleast expanded score) boxset

then the HP:SS Rec. Session leak...

one starts to think and hope :blink:

I'm pretty sure the sheet music in that image is just a placeholder. It's not the real sheet music that would ship with the product. Someone just spent five minutes plunking a bunch of ascending and descending 32nd notes into the computer so they'd have an image to use without giving anything away. Those aren't the runs from Hedwig's theme and the notation is VERY sloppy and incomplete.

More info have been posted on Amazon :

Product Description

- Individually numbered Certificate of Authenticity

- PremierCell Presentation of high quality film photography on heavy cardstock featuring two 35MM film cells cut from the movie reel. Comes with attachable easel.

- 7 inch double sided picture Vinyl Disc with score from the movie

- DVD with 5.1 audio mix of Alexandre Desplat s score and a 7 minute video featurette of the scoring session, along with interviews with Composer Alexandre Desplat and Producers David Heyman and David Barron.

- Movie Poster

- Orchestral Sheet Music from recording session at Abbey Road Studios signed by Alexandre Desplat

- Soundtrack on CD

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS,

the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts.

Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort s immortality and destruction the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance of their professors or the protection of Professor Dumbledore, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever. But there are Dark Forces in their midst that threaten to tear them apart.

Score composed by GRAMMY AWARD®, ACADEMY AWARD® and GOLDEN GLOBE® Nominee ALEXANDRE DESPLAT

(THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEWMOON, THE QUEEN, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON)

Looks like it's an expanded score, not a complete one (or at least, not chronological)...

hey it's better than we ever got on a Williams OST.The only thing that matters is that there's a bonus c.d. with extra score cues. Again if HPSS didn't leak out I'd feel a bit sick right now

And you would know that. :blink: We haven't heard any of Desplat's score for Part One, let alone on CD or how it's edited into the movie. For all we know, Desplat could knock it out of the park. Or not.

That's not the point.

The point is that Hedwig's Theme is overused in the films after PoA, except maybe GoF, and that it got more and more out of touch with the films. After all, there is a reason Williams reduced its use drastically in PoA.