Intrada Will Release Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian and Conan The Destroyer

Dean1700

What great news for an otherwise dull year of releases. I'll definitely be getting CTB and most likely will be getting CTD as well.

But I will not be getting rid of my Varese 16 track version at all as I think it will still be highly sought after.

At least my thread tuned out to be true.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20076&st=0&p=713292entry713292

I like the re-recording ok, but it's about to be obsolete...

Don't you listen to classical music?

Talk like that makes me sad. Were Charles Gerhardt's re-recordings of Star Wars "obsolete" the day the Anthology or Special Edition soundtracks were released?

I never understood why Gerhardt's Star Wars re-recordings are so highly regarded here. I understand that for years they had unreleased music from the original scores, but that aspect is fixed now with the Anthology and SEs. The re-recordings just don't do much for me. I'd take Kojian's rerecording over Gerhardt's any day of the week as far as listening enjoyment goes.

IDIOT!

Well he is obviously of different mindset.

DOLT it is!

And I do appreciate a good re-interpretation of music. Sometimes, if ever so rarely, it might surpass the so-called original. In the world of classical music this happens more often, at least to me, when I find suddenly a really great interpretation that blows the previous ones out of the water.

The source come through IMDB (yes, I can hear you all groan) on the CTB page where the poster stated he attended Monsterpalooza in Burbank, Ca and quote "the word is out that the complete ORIGINAL recording tapes for the 1982 "Conan" have been found (I didn't know they were lost?), and that they are being remastered for a release towards the end of the year, by Entrada music!" end quote.

I probably shouldn't have started this thread as I don't like spreading unfoundered rumours.

I guess that source was right!

Does anybody have a link to this?

I never "got" what's so great about Conan the Barbarian

You are obviously not a Poledouris man. I actually learned to appreciate the score more through the recent re-recording. I was not a huge fan of the film or the score so I had no complaints about the re-recording whatsoever.

People who love these scores are truly pampered now. To get re-recording and the actual scores in about a year's time is pretty nice. :P

I'm on Mark's side here - I sampled (extensively) Tadlow's release, and only found one cue that did anything for me - Atlantean Sword.

I only have two other Poledouris scores - Breakdown and Starship Troopers. I guess most of his stuff isn't for me.

It's impossible for me to be even remotely excited about this since I have more than enough Conan music to last me a lifetime.

I'm surprised Intrada are going ahead with it actually, but I guess they know there's enough of a demand.

I may like it more if there wasn't clipping.

I can't really make out the clipping, to be honest. The re-recording beats the original just by performance and fullness alone.

I really want to check out Tadlow's "Destroyer" re-recording now. Seems like the original sessions suffered even more than the first film's.

It did. That's what sparked the demand for the re-recording.

When the composer berates the score and actually requests that it be buried in the film beneath sound effects, you know it's got problems. The original recording of CTD has academic merit, but I believe that a full, corrected re-recording will be the superior listening experience.

When the composer berates the score and actually requests that it be buried in the film beneath sound effects, you know it's got problems.

Ah, that explains the SW prequels, then.

When the composer berates the score and actually requests that it be buried in the film beneath sound effects, you know it's got problems.

Ah, that explains the SW prequels, then.

:rimshot:

I want the rerecorded Barbarian, the remastered Barbarian and the rerecorded Destroyed, but I can't afford it all so I'll have to choose.

I'm mostly familiar with the incomplete Varese release of the first score. It's one my favourites.

I got my Varese from Napster, which was so long ago that deleting it now would be criminal.

:lol:

Excellent justification. It is practically an internet archeological find. It belongs in a museum!

Now that I've had a night to sleep on it, I can't wait for both of these to be released.

I love Tadlow's recording and I'm looking forward to their recording of Destroyer. That being said there's something missing from Tadlow's Conan. As clean & crisp as the performance is, it's lacking the raw power of the original album. No matter how good recordings are they fail to capture something from the originals. I don't know what it is but it's something that I find lacking. I don't want to say heart or energy but something is always off.

There is a loud blip in the left channel of one of those tracks that has been etched into my permanent memory. Each time I listen to Tadlow's album -- which I bought -- I expect to and gear up to hear that blip. Nothing. Just sweet, sweet music.

You say that about quite a few great / good film scores.

There is a loud blip in the left channel of one of those tracks that has been etched into my permanent memory. Each time I listen to Tadlow's album -- which I bought -- I expect to and gear up to hear that blip. Nothing. Just sweet, sweet music.

There was a pop / skip on my old Jaws 3 LP that I was expecting to hear the first time I played Intrada's CD. After some 20 years I was still expecting it.

Conan the Barbarian isn't for everyone. If you don't like loud percussion, ethnic instruments that paint an ancient tapestry, angry male choirs, tender love themes, and epic brass, please, look elsewhere.

You say that about quite a few great / good film scores.

BTTF is one. Which I'll take over Conan the Barbarian, as it happens.

A last, Crom heard our prayers.

I 've already got the Tadlow version (pretty good by the way) but I'll get this without without second thoughts.

By the way, is the performance of the orchestra for Conan the Destroyer as terrible as they say?

I hated the movie but I only remember that the sound wasn't that good...

On BARBARIAN, I have no issues with the performance. It's performed by the same orchestra that did BEN HUR and a huge number of Morricone scores, such as GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY. Basil was a perfectionist and listening to the number of takes he really gave the orchestra a workout to get the final performances he wanted. But he did get them.

On DESTROYER I know he was unhappy with the main title (although with multiple takes and new digital technology, we'll see if we can do in editing what he couldn't do on the podium). I've lived with the LP program for decades and the performance never bothered me. But here's something to think about when considering performance. Between high school and college I spent the summer working in the classical music room at Tower Records. We had a huge collection of LPs to play in the room, and I played this particular recording of Holst's THE PLANETS quite a bit. My co-workers kept giving me a hard time about it. "Why do you keep playing THIS performance? It's played by a college orchestra and they keep making mistakes." I responded, "Yes, but listen to their enthusiasm. They make be making mistakes, but there is such passion in their performance, how can you not get caught up in the emotion? Sure there are recordings by professional orchestras who have performed this so many times that they can give a flawless rendition...but they're very clean and just can't compete with the obvious joy this orchestra has."

It also reminds me of when we were in London recording JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. When the orchestra first ran through "Scherzo Macabre" it was a thundering, exciting event, if not with a few clunky moments. Then Bruce worked through the complex piece and got all the kinks worked out. When he was done he turned around from the podium and said, "You know, they played this perfectly through, but nothing will beat the raw power of their first read through, even though it has mistakes." Guess which version we choose? And no one ever complained.

So don't get too wrapped around the axle of performance. It's not everything. Basil was an obvious perfectionist.

BARBARIAN will probably be an MAF release. The verdict is still out on DESTROYER. I wish I could give you a date but the UMG machine is wildly unpredictable.

Roger

So I guess they're talking the talk so as to draw the ones who're only buying one release but doubting which one to their side. I'm thinking I'm buying the Tadlow talk more though. James gives specific examples which no amount of editing can solve - and Roger is using a very subjective argument.

I'm also not buying this:

It also reminds me of when we were in London recording JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. When the orchestra first ran through "Scherzo Macabre" it was a thundering, exciting event, if not with a few clunky moments. Then Bruce worked through the complex piece and got all the kinks worked out. When he was done he turned around from the podium and said, "You know, they played this perfectly through, but nothing will beat the raw power of their first read through, even though it has mistakes." Guess which version we choose? And no one ever complained.

Whenever I read something like this, I think it has more to do with they themselves hearing it for a first time live with their own orchestra and then growing used to it with subsequent performances rather than the so-called decrease in enthusiasm from the orchestra players. I know, if I was a producer, I would go for the better performance, and not with the at-the-moment-it-sounds-a-bit-more-raw performance.

Always when I'm reading "raw" in this context, I'm thinking it has more to do with nostalgia to the first hearing of a piece, than anything else.

No Roger makes a valid point.

As I mentioned above, there's something missing from the Tadlow recording. It's lacking something the original performance has. I never had any issues with the original recording and truthfully Destroyer's problems, which are more obvious, never bothered me either.

But now we get a chance to have both.

So I guess they're talking the talk so as to draw the ones who're only buying one release but doubting which one to their side. I'm thinking I'm buying the Tadlow talk more though. James gives specific examples which no amount of editing can solve - and Roger is using a very subjective argument.

Yes. Roger uses the "it was performed by so-and-so orchestra and he finally got the performances he wanted" excuse. Bottom line, it all depends on how experienced these orchestra players are and whether they can handle large, difficult passages of music. James Fitzpatrick had some valid and important criticisms about the timings of the original recordings and how the harp players couldn't play certain parts.

For me, the re-recordings are the way to go here. I would be for the original recordings, if they got a better orchestra to perform it the first time around.

I don't an issue with the original Barbarian recording and it has rawness that really suits the music. But the performance on Destroyer is horrendous, even to my musically untrained ears. Only nostalgia can defend it

How fortunate we are that we can have both re-recordings and the originals for both of these thunderous scores. Not very many others are in the same boat.

Regardless of quality the film versions will always be the definitive ones because they were recorded with the film. That being said it doesn't mean you can't enjoy both. I will be buying the recording and Intrada's remastered version.

In this case, i think that the true transcript of the written score to played music is what should be considered definite. It's a shame that this was not done when poledouris was still arround, to conduct it. But if he really was one of his last wishes it means a lot.

Barbarian is correct on film version but 'destroyer' re-recording should be regarged as the definite version.

As I mentioned above, there's something missing from the Tadlow recording. It's lacking something the original performance has.

In some parts I think the re-recording is better. The Cage Fight music and the beheading sound for ferocious on the Tadlow then in the film.

The original Conan has a lot of atmosphere though, far more then most modern recordings.

Yikes. I could end up with the Tadlow CTB, the Intrada CTB, the Napster/Varese CTB (I don't delete stuff, I just buy more hard drives), the Intrada CTD, the Tadlow CTD, and the Ueba concert conducted by Poledouris. That's a lotta Conan.

As I mentioned above, there's something missing from the Tadlow recording. It's lacking something the original performance has.

In some parts I think the re-recording is better. The Cage Fight music and the beheading sound for ferocious on the Tadlow then in the film.

The original Conan has a lot of atmosphere though, far more then most modern recordings.

What about the cues not recorded fo barbarian? that's one thing Intrada's version is not going to have.

About roger's argument on the college performance of the Planets...

Come on, it works for a college orchestra but a proffesional orchestra than cannot play it correctly is either bad or does not care enough. I dont think there was much enthusiam or effort put into 'Destroyer'... Maybe it had to to with lack of money, though.

Superman II had a smaller orchestra and it sounded fine. First time i heard Destroyer i thought it was synth or something. (it was the footwarmer i think...)

Superman II had a smaller orchestra and it sounded fine.

If you're talking about the remixed version in the box set, yes. But the original sounded awful, like a marching band.

Awesome news. I think the Tadlow recording is great and has all the ferocity of the original. Still, there's something missing from my favourite cue (Theology/Civilization), so for that alone I'll happily get the new release, too.

Talk like that makes me sad. Were Charles Gerhardt's re-recordings of Star Wars "obsolete" the day the Anthology or Special Edition soundtracks were released?

Indeed.

I may buy it. I'ms still disappointed from that flawed re-recording CD I got for Barbarian. I tried to listen to it a couple of times, but since it sounds like a bad, scratched LP I gave up. If I'd been so lucky to for some reason not receive a bad copy, I would probably pass.

"Yes, the rumors that the masters were missing were false. They were there...24-track and 4-track units in pristine condition and complete, sitting right where we expected them to be at Universal. We transferred everything...the sound is stunning. Simply stunning. Going back to the 24-track is going to reveal a detail and ferocity on both scores you just haven't heard before" ~ Roger Feigelson.

still waiting for Star Trek the Motion Picture, the better than Cosman's Edition.

It will be complete as far as what was recorded, obviously. But some cues he wrote were never recorded, and Tadlow world premiered them.

It will be complete as far as what was recorded, obviously. But some cues he wrote were never recorded, and Tadlow world premiered them.

Mm, all right. If I listen to the original recording I'll insert the unrecorded cues from the Tadlow. I like my scores to be the longest possible if they are brilliant.

(That's why I love LOTR. It seems like it's never going to end).

I like my scores to be the longest possible if they are brilliant.

The Tadlow is already brilliant as-is, and any tweaking of violates the sanctity of the album experience as engineered by JamesFitz and his team.

However, I concede that if you are limited on space, you might want to "assemble" a Conan the Barbarian: "Greatest Hits" album that picks and chooses from the Intrada and what had to be newly recorded.

Me and my 160 GB Classic don't care about limited space. Me and my 160 GB Classic don't give a...