What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Masters of the Universe

It's been one of my favorites since I had it on VHS taped off the movie channels. Langella as Skeletor...my God. What a manly character. I never understood why Castle Grayskull wasn't his to begin with. He's Skeletor. It looks like bad guy headquarters. What gives? Something I realized this time through was that the regeneration effect from Doctor Who (2005-present) was ripped off from Skeletor's transformation scene. It looks exactly the same.

My dad taped it off Channel 7 in 1989, and then the 1966 Batman after it on the same tape from the same channel. He left the ads in, so it's always fun to rewatch that and reminisce how different marketing was back then.

Mine was also taped around the time the 1966 Batman TV show and the movie were taped! The one episode I remember watching over and over was the one with Zelda (sexy lady who ends up in prison at the end) where Batman and Robin end up trapped in a box.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Fantastic rom com with a genuine script, great performances, and tight editing. One of the last great comedies that I've seen.

Rat Race

An underrated classic Zucker production. Live action Looney Tunes is the best way to describe it. 

There you go!

It seems that there are great movies out there.

8 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Yawn.

If you started watching some truly great films, instead of getting glued to your Trinitron, wacking-off to Rose Dawson's tits, every night, you just might learn something.

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Rat Race

An underrated classic Zucker production. Live action Looney Tunes is the best way to describe it. 

I went to the cinema especially to see one of the king's of the movie spoof and the co-creator of Airplane return to the big screen with a new comedy, and I was hugely disappointed with it. I remember it well, it was diabolically bad. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

If you started watching some truly great films, instead of getting glued to your Trinitron, wacking-off to Rose Dawson's tits, every night, you just might learn something.

I think I've seen all of those. I choose Rose Dawson's tits on a Trinitron.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I went to the cinema especially to see one of the king's of the movie spoof and the co-creator of Airplane return to the big screen with a new comedy, and I was hugely disappointed with it. I remember it well, it was diabolically bad. 

Better to just watch what it tries to ape - the greatest comedy of all time.

Its.a.Mad_.Mad_.Mad_.Mad_.World_.1963.10

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Hmmm. So that didn't sit too well with me. But there were moments that really shone. Moments that really added to the Twin Peaks mythology, and moments where I felt genuine remorse and sympathy for Laura Palmer. I can see Lynch's motivations behind this film; a haunting portrait of a tortured teenage girl, though she may not look it. But its execution just did not click with me.

Perhaps.

Though it should be noted that while I'm not necessarily a fan of FWWM, I do enjoy his later more experimental films.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

You can find something hilarious without expelling sound from your mouth? My version of hilarious is very different to yours, then. 

It's kind of like episodes of The Simpsons and Seinfeld I've seen many times. They're still funny but not haha funny.

Under the Tuscan sun.

Mostly good, I suppose, though there was just a tiny little bit too much romance in it (epsecially those two annoying teenagers). This was my second Diane Lane film in two weeks and I must say I really like her. She wasn't always equally convincing when she was crying, but the good performances made up for the bad one.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the score, had no idea Christophe Beck could write romantic music like that. The only score I knew him from -- All About Steve -- was rather dull.

About Time. The first half was all right and there were good jokes throughout the film, but now I'm just discovering one problem after the other in this film. If you want to make a movie about time travel, shouldn't your time travel theories be clear-cut? First, we're told that only the men in this family can travel through time. Later, the main character travels in time with his sister. Second, we're told that they can't travel (back) to the future, so why do they do it repeatedly afterwards? Third, we're told that you can't change events that take place before the birth of a child because changing things in the past might lead to a different child. Later, the son uses this rule to stop visiting his dad in the past when his wife is expecting their third child, but this doesn't make any sense at all: if they don't change anything during those extra visits, all the children will be fine. Oh, but I'm forgetting, we can't do without all the hugs and drama that result from those decisions... I didn't like the main character and actor either, got bored with his mother who was literally being sarcastic all the time no matter what, but did like Lydia Wilson. The score is all right, but nothing special.

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Deadpool - for the 3rd time. The most hilariously irreverent, bloodily violent, and tremendously sweary of superhero movies ... just a blast.  

Yeah I know. Those Dirty Harry films just get better, and better.

Wake in Fright

Seminal Aussie flick, but I wasn't as disturbed by it as some people seem to be. Sounds like people makin' a mountain out of a molehill, mate! The main character, who looks like Peter O'Toole, just needed some more common sense and self assertion.

Watching Pearl Harbour. Must have been 12 the last time I saw this. Attack of the Clones has Oscar worthy dialogue in comparison. This is some awful, awful stuff. 

It looks pretty though!

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Watching Pearl Harbour. Must have been 12 the last time I saw this. Attack of the Clones has Oscar worthy dialogue in comparison. This is some awful, awful stuff. 

It looks pretty though!

Michael Bay > George Lucas

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It looks pretty though!

I seem to recall the bombing itself is a well mounted and often thrilling sequence though. 

Nothing about AotC is well mounted or thrilling. 

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I seem to recall the bombing itself is a well mounted and often thrilling sequence though. 

Nothing about AotC is well mounted or thrilling. 

I was specifically talking about dialogue. 

2 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Well, the bombing scene is what the movie is remembered for. That one scene. It's like 15 minutes or so. It is well done despite some Bay-isms. But the rest is unwatchable.

15 minutes? The whole set piece is 40 minutes long. It's way too long and starts to lose an impact it should have.