What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Well the title of a film has to attract attention in some way.  It's why I had to look up the movie when you posted, I'd forgotten its existence and had never seen because of its terrible title.  Obviously it has no bearing on the quality of the movie itself, but a bad title can bury a good movie.

12 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Napoleon Dynamite - a true classic. Years from now, it will still be considered the greatest cult comedy of all time.

Probably my favorite comedy. Every line is genius. I guess it's not for everyone though.

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Fracture is my favourite movie!

Yep, doesn't work.

Let's see what it says on Rotten Alexes:

Last week I saw Fracture but I think I forgot to mention it. Yep, it's that kind of film: forgettable! - Alex Cremers

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Nacho Libre was better.

Yikes.  Outside that one funny part that was in the trailer that movie is horrific.

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Is that the Anthony Hopkins-Ryan Gosling movie?  It's a terribly generic title.  I enjoy a good legal thriller, though, maybe I'll check it out.

It's a pretty good clever little thriller with good performances.  Check it out.

8 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Yikes.  Outside that one funny part that was in the trailer that movie is horrific.

Disagree. Jack Black's whole dynamic is great, and Danny Elfman churned out a fun score to boot. 

"Get that corn outta my face!"

See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Wilder and Pryor were a dynamic duo and this is my favorite of their films together. Wonderful situational comedy in addition to their personal characteristics as comedians. A young, faux British Kevin Spacey and a gorgeous femme fatale in Joan Severance round out the cast. If you've never seen this one, check it out. 

That's a brilliant film. McDonagh is probably my favorite newcomer. Looking forward to his upcoming Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. 

He has the black comedy formula absolutely perfected. 

22 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Seven Psychopaths - enjoyable crime black comedy from Martin 'In Bruges' McDonagh with Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken. 

What do you consider an "old movie"?

If you hadn't caught on, the "Newer" films version of this thread would be more accurately titled "What is the last film you watched that's in theaters now?"  We tend to use this thread for any movie that has left the cinemas.

Only the Strong

It's like Dangerous Minds with Mark Dacascos in place of Michelle Pfeiffer. It is so hilariously cliched, with a cringe-worthy performance by Paco Christian Prieto as the main drug lord baddie. The martial arts, a relatively little-known style as capoeira, are actually pretty impressive and photographed. But the movie has little else to offer. 

The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I don't know... Was it bad or passable?

First of all, everyone really has dumb lines in this movie. Villains would be so much more convincing if they didn't feel the need to say things like 'It's time to meet your destiny!' all the time. A romance would be much more believable if the girlfriend didn't state matter-of-factly: 'I am breaking up with you, now.', or if Spider-Man didn't "write" 'I love you' and then added: 'It says I love you because I love you.' for good measure. Oh, and why exactly does Electro hate Spider-Man? I still didn't figure that out. When Spider-Man tries to say cool stuff, it's weird. When he starts crying into Gwen's shoulder one moment after that, it's weird too. Especially in the final scene, Spider-Man really comes across as an emotionally imbalanced person. At one point, he asks his aunt to tell him everything about his dad and that it's okay that it'll hurt him. The poor woman then utters three sentences and it already proves to be too much for our superhero. The actor who plays Harry sucks as well and the number of villains is just over the top. Where do they keep coming from?

Hans Zimmer's score was better than I thought it would be. I've been going through an anti-Zimmer phase over the past few months, so was already happy to discover that the score wasn't written in D minor. The main theme is good, but I don't see the point of composers re-inventing musical identities that have already been established. James Horner's theme was brilliant, why not use it? Also, the entire score sounded as if it was being played by a computer. What's wrong with a traditional orchestra?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I don't know... Was it bad or passable?

First of all, everyone really has dumb lines in this movie. Villains would be so much more convincing if they didn't feel the need to say things like 'It's time to meet your destiny!' all the time. A romance would be much more believable if the girlfriend didn't state matter-of-factly: 'I am breaking up with you, now.', or if Spider-Man didn't "write" 'I love you' and then added: 'It says I love you because I love you.' for good measure. Oh, and why exactly does Electro hate Spider-Man? I still didn't figure that out. When Spider-Man tries to say cool stuff, it's weird. When he starts crying into Gwen's shoulder one moment after that, it's weird too. Especially in the final scene, Spider-Man really comes across as an emotionally imbalanced person. At one point, he asks his aunt to tell him everything about his dad and that it's okay that it'll hurt him. The poor woman then utters three sentences and it already proves to be too much for our superhero. The actor who plays Harry sucks as well and the number of villains is just over the top. Where do they keep coming from?

Hans Zimmer's score was better than I thought it would be. I've been going through an anti-Zimmer phase over the past few months, so was already happy to discover that the score wasn't written in D minor. The main theme is good, but I don't see the point of composers re-inventing musical identities that have already been established. James Horner's theme was brilliant, why not use it? Also, the entire score sounded as if it was being played by a computer. What's wrong with a traditional orchestra?

During the *relationship* scenes in this, you can almost HEAR the movie grinding to a dull-as-fuck halt. Ugh.  

Just be a single hero, Peter/Spidey. Much less hassle.  

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

If you hadn't caught on, the "Newer" films version of this thread would be more accurately titled "What is the last film you watched that's in theaters now?"  We tend to use this thread for any movie that has left the cinemas.

Oh, okay:)

Dead man walking. What surprised me most was how I hated the guy on death row at the start, but felt more and more emotional as the story unfolded. Still finding it hard to sympathise with him, but that didn't make the whole ordeal more bearable. The score is sufficient, but I honestly don't understand why it sounds to Eastern and there should have been more music.

42 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Dead man walking. What surprised me most was how I hated the guy on death row at the start, but felt more and more emotional as the story unfolded.

Dunno, sounds pretty standard to me. 

Robot And Frank - sweet sci-fi comedy drama in which an elderly jewel thief with the beginnings of dementia is given a robot home-help, and soon figures out that the robot could be of use in his heists. With Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon and James Marsters. 

How to Steal a Million

I noticed it was on Netflix, remembered it's one of those Williams scores I've never heard and decided to watch.  It's much better than I thought it'd be!  A very enjoyable caper comedy and the score by "Johnny" Williams is great fun!  The central melody is very good, twisty and turny; love that piano sound.  O'Toole and Hepburn both practically ooze charisma off the screen.

6 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Do ya think he rooted her in that broom closet?

Oh absolutely.  "Doesn't seem so cramped in here now" or whatever the line was. 

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I can see a pattern here...

Hitchcock even has a (sort of) cameo in How to Steal a Million!

a23d56d85c752b8f97b576b97f718619.jpg