Muad'Dib

The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

1813 posts in this topic

Thanks, guys! I'm quite familiar with Alexander Nevsky (and Ivan the Terrible too) but I'm not very familiar with the Scythian Suite so I'll definetly check it out :)

Thanks again! If you can think of more, keep 'em coming ;)

Guys, I'm looking for a specific kind of recommendation this time: I'm looking for savage classical music, almost primal in it's nature.

Michael, I would heartily recommend La Noche de los Mayas by the Mexican composer Silvestre Revueltas. It is a four movement suite based on his film score for the 1939 film of the same name. I heard the LSO perform it a few years ago under Kristjan Jaarvi and it blew me away, especially the last movement 'La Noche de Encantamiento'.

[media=]

A real field day for the percussionists!

It's one of the most brutal pieces of orchestral music I have ever heard. It must be quite something to hear it live

Gerald Finzi - Eclogue for Piano and Strings Op. 10

[media=]

Gerald Finzi - Adagio, ma senza rigore, Clarinet Concerto in C Minor. OP 31

It's one of the most brutal pieces of orchestral music I have ever heard. It must be quite something to hear it live

Absolutely. Can you recommend a recording? I have the Barshai box with all the symphonies, and they're all good recordings, but certainly there are better ones of at least individual symphonies. No. 11 is one where I'd really like to get a first rate recording.

Absolutely. Can you recommend a recording? I have the Barshai box with all the symphonies, and they're all good recordings, but certainly there are better ones of at least individual symphonies. No. 11 is one where I'd really like to get a first rate recording.

I have two recordings. One by Haitink with the Concertgebouw and the other from the more recent Naxos cycle by Petrenko. They're both top notch, in my view, but I'd give a slight edge to Haitink, although I reckon the cd is a bit hard to track down

And nobody did the 7th as spot on as Celibidache. Great pick!

I've never been able to understand Bruckner, although I tried. It doesn't have the same musical quality as Wagner, Richard Strauss or Gustav Mahler regarding form, thematics or orchestration, to my ears. His symphonies are a burden to listen to. I think they might well reflect his personal life...which might be the reason I cannot really identify with his music.

Maybe Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake? The famous bit: Act 2/10: Scene: Moderato, Danses Des Cygnes

A true classic. I always felt that it sounds extremely progressive for the time it was written.

Personally, I really adore Chopin. His music sounds very personal, almost too intimate.

But I still haven't found something that does more for me than his "Fantaisie Impromptu".

Purcell was insane.

Certainly was. Caravaggio of Music, in a way.

[media=]

.I wasn't familiar with the piece. Wonderful :).

Glad you liked it.

I have been listening to this tirelessly for two days. Can't unhear. Maybe I'm overplaying it...

[media=]

Doens't do much for me. But then, I've never been a big Berlioz fan.

Now listening to Rachmaninov's (Rachmaninoff's, I you prefer this version) third symphony.

What a divine music. :)

Karol

I'm not familiar with them, but I'd love to hear some of his works! Could you post some links of what you is representative of them?

Not "classical" but I've been curious about this in the past few days.

Eric Whitacre wrote a different bridge for his concert band arrangement of Lux Aurumque at 1:50.

It reminds of something, like a film score. But I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyone else feel the same way, or am I just going crazy?

Sounds like pure Whitacre to me. Reminds me of his "October." And a little bit like Steven Bryant's "Dusk."

It does sound very Whitacre, but that specific passage just reminded me of something else...maybe it just reminded of the same piece (since the last time I really heard was quite a while ago :P).

I can't say I'm Whitacre's biggest fan (I think he's a bit overrated), but October is sublime.

I'm not incredibly familiar with his works. I know a few of the instrumental ones, all of which I've enjoyed quite a bit. "Godzilla Eats Las Vegas!" is another great one.

Godzilla is really entertaining to watch (especially when bands really stage the piece up), but a bit uninteresting when played. Ghost Train is a fun piece.

Could anybody recommend me more stuff that goes in the vein of Stravinsky's Firebird? The whole work is phenomenal, and its been a favorite of mine since I was a kid, and now for whatever reason, relistening to it, I feel like I want more of that.

I found two good influences that are Rimsky-Korsakov and Alexander Scriabin, but the latter is a little too complex for me. What I like about Firebird is how simple it feels. It's by no means an easy piece, but everything seems so well put together and so effortestly. It feels natural, real, sincere.

Here are two pieces by Korsakov and Scriabin that I really like, in case you're not familiar with them, and that remind me of Stravinsky:

I really like that sort of neo-romantic sound, but in Stravinsky's hands it feels like perfection. Anything you guys can recommend?

Now listening to Rachmaninov's (Rachmaninoff's, I you prefer this version) third symphony.

What a divine music. :)

Рахма́нинов!

Nice, something to listen to tonight.

crocodile likes this

Could anybody recommend me more stuff that goes in the vein of Stravinsky's Firebird?

Check out some of Prokofiev's ballet scores, if you haven't already. The Scythian Suite is kind of close relative to Stravinsky's Firebird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPD48CcxVo

(this is a stellar performance, check it out!)

Also, two of his most famous: Romeo & Juliet and Cinderella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMkUtgnFKE