What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Greatest Showman - Preposterous and overblown, everyone involved in the film is giving it their all, and in many ways it's a bit of a train-wreck, but damn I enjoyed the hell out of it. The songs are super catchy, and the energy from Jackman and the rest of the cast is undeniable. - 7.5 / 10

I, Tonya - very good, blackly funny drama about the infamous Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan case. Margot Robbie and Allison Janney are both excellent as Tonya and her monstrous mother Lavona, those Oscars are a distinct possibility. 

Annihilation

Please do not see this. Send a message to Hollywood. All production of films like this must shut down immediately. The reviews were initially so positive that I started to wonder if it was one of those flicks that only looks bad in the trailer. Then highly negative reviews started to trickle in and audiences didn't seem convinced.

This is one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. Thank God for the Diet Coke I brought with me. I was falling asleep. Don't think it's going to be a thinking man's sci-fi. It builds and builds for 2 boring hours to absolutely nothing. It's not even worth it to watch Padme. By the end, you'll just want to shoot her. Or something.

1 hour ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Annihilation

Please do not see this. Send a message to Hollywood. All production of films like this must shut down immediately. The reviews were initially so positive that I started to wonder if it was one of those flicks that only looks bad in the trailer. Then highly negative reviews started to trickle in and audiences didn't seem convinced.

This is one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. Thank God for the Diet Coke I brought with me. I was falling asleep. Don't think it's going to be a thinking man's sci-fi. It builds and builds for 2 boring hours to absolutely nothing. It's not even worth it to watch Padme. By the end, you'll just want to shoot her. Or something.

I tried to warn ya’ll. Alex still thinks it’ll be a masterpiece. 

6 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Annihilation

You hate it? That's great news! 

But I'm not surprised. I mean, does this sound like a Selina/Koray/Drax movie?:

Critical consensus: Annihilation backs up its sci-fi visual wonders and visceral genre thrills with an impressively ambitious -- and surprisingly strange -- exploration of challenging themes that should leave audiences pondering long after the end credits roll.

I don't think so.

25 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

It's a boring pointless poorly made Alexcremers movie about nothing for people like Alexcremers to think they've seen something challenging and intellectual.

Only boring people like you call 'wonder', 'strange' and 'ambiguous' "boring". You are into dumb movies (for you 'explosions' means it's about something) so I'm not really impressed with your opinion.

20 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

And I persevered through Ordinary People!

Next time don't bother! Go watch ID4 with Selina instead!

I have a feeling neither of those movies appeal to Selina and Drax, Richard. Save for Tess maybe, because that isn't really a good movie.

Annihilation is too intellectual for mainstream audiences, Garland didn't want to change a thing, and that's why Paramount sold it to Netflix:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/annihilation-netflix-paramount-deal-streaming-1201932550/

Phantom Thread

First Paul Thomas Anderson film I've seen fully and the ending was weird and dreamlike. Was he trying to comment on how some people see others as objects and how imperfection adds to one's lives? The acting is expectedly high caliber, especially Lesley Manville as the whip-smart sister and Vicky Krieps as Day-Lewis' muse and lover. And for this being Daniel Day-Lewis' "final" performance, it's rather restrained and not very showy. (I give him 2-3 years before another director pulls him out of retirement.)

Anderson's direction is sharp and the photography grainy but beautiful. He ought to show Steven Soderbergh how it's done properly.

annihilation.jpg

Annihilation

On the surface, it's essentially Stalker meets Arrival. At least, that's what it wants you to believe. It's a hard one to sit through, not because it's slow, but because its characters are stupid, its dialogue sounds as if it was written by Siri or some automated computer program (seriously, the shoddy exposition here makes Nolan sound like Kubrick/Malick), its visuals usually fall flat (much of the first half is bogged down by a plastic, unfinished look) and the science is often ridiculous. Only in the last half hour do you get to see the film that was promised, where there is indeed an intriguing sequence that leaves you wanting more. Too little, too late however. Until then, you have to waddle through an hour and a half of muddled plotting and uneven pacing without much substance supporting it. And unfortunately Garland lacks the technical prowess of someone like Villeneuve, who knows how to stage suspense and mood out of anything, so in this case, it does usually feel like these characters are meandering without much purpose, with the occasional throw-away line about their tragic life stories or shoehorned thematic reference to the film title. In the end, it's not really terrible. But save for its climax, it's not very good either. Don't let its shiny gloss, or rather shimmer (bad pun intended) fool you. This is not great sci-fi.

Does that mean I'm one of you guys now?

The critics also seem to be fooled by it.

Good for him I suppose. I did like Ex Machina. Maybe this canvas was just too large for him to work with. The intimate setting of his debut probably suited his skill set better.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Does that mean I'm one of you guys now?

The critics also seem to be fooled by it.

Good for him I suppose. I did like Ex Machina. Maybe this canvas was just too large for him to work with. The intimate setting of his debut probably suited his skill set better.

It's such a slog to get through. They were convinced that at least an hour of these characters walking around with guns was enough to sustain the movie. 

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, he does worship Sicario.

No. But I do think it's an excellent film.

Actually, I don't think our tastes are very different Alex. And I doubt even you would like Annihilation, unless to save face. Not sure why you're so convinced of its "greatness".

The fool!

Just now, KK said:

Actually, I don't think our tastes are very different Alex. And I doubt even you would like Annihilation, unless to save face. Not sure why you're so convinced of its "greatness".

Alex' tastes are unique. No none really sees what he sees, he's...special.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

We all know Alex will hate Annihilation but because he’s called us all too stupid to understand a movie he hasn’t even seen, he’ll never admit it once he does. 

Even when Annihilation was, I guess, attempting to be bold and thought-provoking, it very clearly failed. Alex should hate it because the opening basically spells out for the audience how the cells/mutation works! 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

That's the first time that I've read of STALKER being compared with ARRIVAL.

I never compared the two films to each other. They're nothing alike. And yet Annihilation tries to draw from both. And it only does so in a superficial sense.

1 hour ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Even when Annihilation was, I guess, attempting to be bold and thought-provoking, it very clearly failed. Alex should hate it because the opening basically spells out for the audience how the cells/mutation works! 

The whole film spells everything out for you. Other than a feigned sense of ambiguity and a cliffhanger ending, there is nothing really ambiguous about any of it. That's why Alex shouldn't like it.

12 hours ago, KK said:

I have faith in Garland. :|

(despite Natalie Portland)