What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

On 14/02/2018 at 11:40 PM, King Mark said:

Phantom Thread , because in Febuary I go watch a few of the Oscar nominated films

It wasn't my type of movie at all, but I'm always curious about movies where  60 year old guys  attract beautiful women decades younger like it's a non issue

A-VIEW-TO-A-KILL-1985-US-one-sheet-27-x-

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15.2.2018 at 12:40 AM, King Mark said:

Phantom Thread , because in Febuary I go watch a few of the Oscar nominated films

It wasn't my type of movie at all, but I'm always curious about movies where  60 year old guys  attract beautiful women decades younger like it's a non issue

Did you learn any good tricks? In reality, what attracts them is usually fame, money or the need of a father figure.

Black Panther

I sort of liked it. There are things this movie tries in the right direction. A mostly solid cast (Boseman is a bore), good characters, some creative production sensibilities. The Shakespearean drama suits the film well, adding some gravitas to the various shades of African cultural influences. It's also nice to see a superhero movie that takes itself seriously again. Feels like its been a while since we've had that. This is also the first Marvel film I've seen in a while where the score has a distinct personality of its own (for the most part), and it makes a difference (other Marvel flicks should take note).

In the end, it is still a Marvel film at heart though, and with that comes the usual Marvel formula flaws. A real shame with this one is how a lot of the CG crap-fest moments get in the way of some occasionally inspired design and choreographic choices in production.

Also, are all the end-credits scenes for these films this stupid? We basically got a second ending after the credits. It's choices like that that makes factory clones even out of the ones that try to step of the mould.

Call me by your name

it felt sort of uneven to me.

i was bored in the biggest part of the movie, and some very few scenes were really good.

I don't understand why such a fuss about it and why the oscar nominations for best picture and especially male lead!

Dad's speech was a highlight as everyone was saying.

I loved the 2 songs!

The Post.

Very good overall, though I think the courtroom scene was rushed and don't really understand why. Also not a big Meryl Streep fan and I just dislike scenes like the one in which she meets up with this woman in court who tells her she's so proud of her and blah blah blah, but that's the only thing I can really complain about.

The score was actually rather disappointing and the music playing during the pressing of the newspapers sounded awfully Zimmeresque. I just hope nobody forced him to go down that route. Other than that, I liked the gentle piano music and the opening of the credits, but nothing really blew me away, although the end credits did leave me with an urge to do something, but I'm afraid my actions will only consist of reading up on Nixon and arranging a holiday in Yorkshire. No revolutions planned yet, but if anyone wants to start a petition to ban D minor in every future film score, count me in.

The Post

Pretty much as expected: highly accomplished technically but hollow and gutless content-wise (not Spielberg's fault this time, there's just not more to the story). With his recent string of movies, Spielberg recommends himself evermore as modern substitute of old Hollywood craftsmen like Michael Curtiz: bringing a great deal of expertise to whatever (often shoddy) script the studio foisted on them, those guys were able to be highly productive, surrounded by the best of the best - even if this kind of slavery didn't exactly serve their legacy. The difference here is that Spielberg foists all the trappings onto himself.

The procedural approach - it's this year's 'Spotlight', just with better camerawork - refuses the movie elaboration of the few points of interest it has, like the role of women or the dangers of starfucking that are dutifully treated in just a few scenes. Instead, you get two hours of slick entertainment, with a guarantee that you have seen all those scenes in classic genre films by Costa-Gavras or Alan J. Pakula, that sadly doesn't ruffle any feathers - it's extraordinarily well-tempered, all things considered - and that's really the last thing you should say about a thriller about an endangered fourth estate.

For a lot of people, it is exactly this glossy coating that elevates such movies into the realm of Oscar-worthiness, even if nothing could be farther from the truth. The performances are boringly square without offering much beyond watching Meryl and Tom play another pair of respectable historical figures just as respectably, the supporting cast following suit. The mise en scène, Thor's basic frame of reference when his idols get stuck, is certainly great but again: in aid of what, exactly? (especially when it is so reliant on older genre pictures)

The score is suitable reserved, certainly not of any big importance this way or another, but it's good to see Williams being just an efficient film composer (he can be) and not his majesty holding court with his 110-piece orchestra.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Perhaps it's an unfair comparison, but how does THE POST hold up, against ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN?

The latter is superior. The Post is well-made, but nothing to really write home about.

What did you think of the Watergate tease at the end pub?

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Perhaps it's an unfair comparison, but how does THE POST hold up, against ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN?

I'd be surprised if The Post has a similar understated docu style.

Black Panther

Found this rather boring to be honest. Decent but nothing that really takes much risks, despite what the reviews have you think. Sure, if you want black representation then this is the movie for you, but beyond that there is nothing fresh in this tale. 

World building? Wakanda is boring. A few passing shots of magnetic trains and village life don't pass for world building. The actor who plays Black Panther utterly lacks charisma, which Michael B. Jordan has in spades. A Marvel villain who is straight up gangsta, yo. I remember him as skinny ass and sympathetic Wallace from The Wire.  How he's grown. Damn. The movie is also a reminder that Andy Serkis should appear more in live action rather than just motion capture. Two of the more fun villains from Marvel so far. The rest of the move is run of the mill. 

I liked the Korea sequence. Very obvious nod to James Bond, but it just about worked. The car chase sequence after that was quite cool too, not something we usually see from Marvel. The climatic fight is garbage though, set in the dullest backdrop you could imagine

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I didn't expect the film to be quite this chaotic, both in events that unfold and it's themes. I expected something a lot more straightforward. I liked it though -- a film that really peels away the layers to its characters without really re-branding them in the process. You don't learn much that is new with the characters by the end, but you feel you've somehow lived with them for a bit. Acting from MacDormand, Rockwell, and Harrelson is great. 

Has nothing on In Bruges though. To be fair that's one of my favourite films of all time. 

Lady Bird

Oh this was fantastic. Perfectly paced, perfectly acted, perfectly written, and assuredly directed. It feels natural and honest, and part of it is because of Saoirse Ronan's performance. Not the typical coming-of-age movie that ends up feeling sickly. This one manages to be reminiscent of adolescence and not overstay it's welcome. 

40 minutes ago, KK said:

What did you think of the Watergate tease at the end pub?

It didn't register much, i had tuned out about 10 minutes before (nothing happens after they drop the papers on the street #classicpapermoviescene). What did you think about the awfully staged hippie demonstration scenes? Those stuck out as rare misfires for a Spielberg movie.

1 hour ago, Hurmm said:

Black Panther

Found this rather boring to be honest. Decent but nothing that really takes much risks, despite what the reviews have you think. Sure, if you want black representation then this is the movie for you, but beyond that there is nothing fresh in this tale. 

World building? Wakanda is boring. A few passing shots of magnetic trains and village life don't pass for world building. The actor who plays Black Panther utterly lacks charisma, which Michael B. Jordan has in spades. A Marvel villain who is straight up gangsta, yo. I remember him as skinny ass and sympathetic Wallace from The Wire.  How he's grown. Damn. The movie is also a reminder that Andy Serkis should appear more in live action rather than just motion capture. Two of the more fun villains from Marvel so far. The rest of the move is run of the mill. 

Oh my god, that just blew my mind. I never made that connection.

I reckon Boseman himself was fine but didn't have enough material to work with. Serkis was good but pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Karol

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I have a hard time picking between Zodiac and Seven. 

Seven, because Zodiac steals too much from All The President's Men

Then again:

"Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal." - Igor Stravinsky

It is a finely made film, with really great (yet ugly) visuals. But I agree. There's something about it's over-structure plot that feels more and more juvenile with each viewing.

Karol

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh my god, that just blew my mind. I never made that connection.

I reckon Boseman himself was fine but didn't have enough material to work with. Serkis was good but pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Karol

In the grand scheme of things, nothing really matters in the MCU. That's why I actually prefer the "banter" MCU movies like GotG and Thor Ragnarok these days, where almost nothing is consequential... because even when they do try something more serious and consequential (like Black Panther), it's always some generic ho-hum fare. So that's why I had fun with Serkis' bad guy. Because he has no chains attached, no agenda. He exists purely in the moment, which works the best for me in the MCU. Now I liked Killmonger too, but unlike the most reviewers it isn't because of his backstory or arc (which is decent but without much effect), but mostly because of Jordan who has lots of charisma and screen presence. 

He is more interesting to watch than Black Pants himself. But they did underuse him badly. I don't think he has anything to do in the entire first half. And his entire arc is rushed and underdeveloped. Instead, the entire first segment is dominated by Serkis for no reason so the two villains ultimately cancel each other out.

Karol

Lady Bird

I'm not quite sure yet what to make of this. I enjoyed large portions of it. Lady Bird is quite likeable (except for the whole middle portion where she ditches her friend and hobby for a non-likeable and uncharismatic guy probably just out of spite against her previous boyfriend - women, amirite?), and [insert Irish name here] is pretty great in this, just like Sheldon Cooper's mom, nice to see she can actually act. The teenage rebellion and banter is pretty realistically portrayed in relation to most of Hollywood, and it's fun to cringe/laugh at myself (through what the relatable characters do in normal situations) instead of cliche joke machines designed only to be laughed at/with. Then some parts I couldn't connect with in the slightest, like the whole religious aspect, that was a bit overdone for my tastes, and utilized only as a backdrop with not much bearing on the plot arbitrarily chosen by the writer/director. I also found a number of setups for juicy fights/longer conversations with the mother that were cut away too early for an erratic time passage montage. The runtime is a breath of fresh air, but not all of it is utilized in the best way. Ultimately, I didn't find it had much of a point to it or much to say except kindergarten level stuff like "Don't lie or it'll have consequences" or "Love your mum because she loves you". I don't know if this is the one which deserves all the praise as "the best/most fresh" coming of age story ever", the actual coming of age is pretty well portrayed, but it has little else going on, so I found it a bit lacking. I'm not sure it could still hold and entertain me on a second viewing.

On 18.2.2018 at 10:52 AM, Richard said:

ZODIAC is one claustrophobic mutha of a movie. It's one of Fincher's finest.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Se7en is a bit to overwrought for my tastes.

So many people love Fincher for Seven and Fight Club, but his true masterpieces are Zodiac and The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.

Black Panther - deeper themes at play than your usual Marvel flick, sure. But the action, spectacle and humour haven't been forgotten. Vibrant and fun. 

The Shape Of Water - part Cold War thriller, part fantasy, part love story and part love-letter to cinema itself ... there aren't many other movies like this. A strange and lovely thing.

On 17/02/2018 at 12:10 PM, Richard said:

That's a good poster. Do you know who did it?

No idea. It's a good poster, but a fairly shoddy Bond flick.

33 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Shape Of Water - part Cold War thriller, part fantasy, part love story and part love-letter to cinema itself ... there aren't many other movies like this. A strange and lovely thing.

Will see that on thursday and hope it will meet expectations...

Haha. I was about to go see it myself last night but the two people I was thinking of going with both told me they've seen it already and that it's pretty to look at but forgettable. "Twee" is the word they both (independently) used, I believe. Not sure really. Might go tomorrow. Money is bit tight at the moment. Del Toro is bit hit-and-miss.

Karol

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Will see that on thursday and hope it will meet expectations...

I don't know about expectations, but it's good cinema. Nothing especially daring or new, but endearingly Del Toro, through and through.