Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I would suggest they make Episode VII an interquel. Just to describe what happened between Episodes I and II. The time frame of the events happening in these episodes always was way to big compared to the time frame of the original trilogy. Consequently, Episode VIII could then be made as an interquel between Episodes II and III, Episode IX as an interquel between Episodes III and IV and so on.

Someone found a new word to use.

I've middling interest in a third trilogy but I've zero interest in anything any time period between the terrible prewuels.

ROMOUR: Alfonso Cuarón to direct Episode 8?

Well, I've always wanted more Williams/Cuarón. I doubt it's true, unfortunately.

Woah, hold your horses!

By the time of Episode 8, Williams is what, close to 90? Unless Williams leaves the notes for it in his will, I think that's pretty unlikely.

You think we have to wait 10 years for episode 8? The plan is to release the new trilogy in 2015, 2018 and 2021. He would be 86 by the time of it's release, but probably younger when writing it.

Perhaps. But the plan was (if I remember correctly) three new films with three years in between each episode. Just like the other trilogies.

EDIT: Also, I doubt they will start the new Star Wars movies with a spin-off.

I think JJ will need more time and he won't be on time to release in 2015, and it won't come out until 2016. Both Star Trek 1 and Star Trek 2 were delayed.

I think the team working on the spinoffs will move much quicker.

But yea, I'm sure all involved want Episode 7 first, then spinoffs, then Episode 8. Remains to be seen if it works out that way.

I think the new trilogy will come out in 2016, 2018, and 2019, with spin-off movies in 2015 and 2017

I could seeing pushing out to 2017 if JJ will try to fit in a Star Trek (X)III (unlikely).

Let's also not underestimate Williams possibly using new musical ideas to update his sound. He already knocked over his traditionalist streak when he used a new fingerboard instrument called a Continuum in 2008 for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." It proved his astuteness to newer sounds and how it can keep him relevant in film scoring for at least another decade.

This really seems to miss the point. Williams has been using synthesizers for almost forty years, and the continuum fingerboard was nothing more than a new keyboard interface for the same old theremin sound. "Padmé's Ruminations" is a much more substantial embrace of new techniques. But I think the instrumentation debate is pointless. Williams uses almost the same essential set of instruments as Trevor Rabin or Hans Zimmer or Michael Giacchino or most others in the industry, which is massive symphony orchestra (large string and brass sections), synthesizers and sampled drums. The details are in the mixing, editing, and, most importantly, the actual composition.

Well if he only composed for lute, his music would be much less relevent ;)

Exactly. I find it personally repulsive, this idea that John Williams only does what he does for the money. It's his passion for music, not his greed, that leads him to—

Oh. Wait. "Lute," not loot. Shoulda read it more carefully. :sarcasm:

The notion that a composer has use new-fangled approaches and instrumentation to "keep up with the times" is ludicrous. Williams himself proved that when he brought the full power of orchestral music in films back to the fore with Star Wars.

- Uni

Uni,

Star Wars bears little resemblance to the big orchestral scores of Hollywoods golden age. It didn't really bring any old style back as much as it established a new style with a big orchestra.

Uni,

Star Wars bears little resemblance to the big orchestral scores of Hollywoods golden age.

You've obviously been out in the sun too long.

Star Wars has a far more modern musical palette than the hyper-romantic golden age scores. It's far more musically efficient, far less dense.

I own and listen to 30+ golden age scores. I can tell you Star Wars is at best an evolutionary cousin of those scores.

But it is not some grand return to golden age music.

Let's also not underestimate Williams possibly using new musical ideas to update his sound. He already knocked over his traditionalist streak when he used a new fingerboard instrument called a Continuum in 2008 for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." It proved his astuteness to newer sounds and how it can keep him relevant in film scoring for at least another decade.

Just because he used a new instrument for ONE THEME doesn't equal him "knocking over his traditionalist streak" or updating his sound.

The sole reason why KOTCS is different from the first three Indys is because Williams' 2000 sound is different from the 80s and he didn't alter it significantly for KOTCS.

It's a return to the evolution of golden age "classical" film scores.

Right, but I don't think it supports Uni's greater point, that's all:

The notion that a composer has use new-fangled approaches and instrumentation to "keep up with the times" is ludicrous

John Williams has evolved his style and kept up with the times. Star Wars has a lot of modern elements, to the point that it's a unique style of music from the "golden age genre".

Star Wars has a far more modern musical palette than the hyper-romantic golden age scores. It's far more musically efficient, far less dense.

I own and listen to 30+ golden age scores. I can tell you Star Wars is at best an evolutionary cousin of those scores.

Only 30 +?

Well geez you're an expert now. ;)

I just can't wait for the reactions when it's announced that composers such as HGW, Jablonsky etc etc will score the stand alone films.

I just can't wait for the reactions when it's announced that composers such as HGW, Jablonsky etc etc will score the stand alone films.

HGW's scores for Kingdom of Heaven and Sinbad have a certain charm, though.

I meant Kevin Kiner composing music in a full orchestral way... not TCW way... though... he may not be up to the task.

Griskey would do fine if allowed. And Giacchino if Williams does the entire trilogy ;)

All I know is that Remote Control better produce the score (a la Tron 2.0) just to ensure the quality control that a AAA tentpole property needs. I'm a Disney stockholder, and I will settle for nothing less than the highest standard of production.

I've never been a huge fan of Kiner's The Clone Wars, but yes, Griskey deserves a chance.

I find that KK's score to TCW, is just two steps behind Powell level.

Well i just saw the season 5 finale, that had a full orchestral score because they wanted it to have more impact.. And I liked it. Some emotive-touching material at the end, and Williams renditions :)

So he could do something for a movie too :)

The last season has been awesome. (excepting some filler-chapters)

Of the series, all mandalore episodes are interesting, and Maul arc (with the merge in the end) is cool too (great finale).

I find that KK's score to TCW, is just two steps behind Powell level.

I wouldn't have guessed that from his Composers' Challenge entries.

:lol:

By the way, just a heads up, the next challenge is officially opening tomorrow. I've already posted the overview up though, so you could get a head start at the site if you'd like ;)

if she is in, hamill and ford must be also.

she was the least likely to return from the big three...

I don't believe Fisher answered the question at hand, and even still, I am unimpressed with the idea that anyone can declare they're in or out this far in advance.

That being said, I want an Ackbar standalone movie.

I can't believe I'm saying this...

But of all the oldies, I only really want to see Mark Hamill again.

It kinda threw me for a third life crisis when I realised it this morning.