Williams confirmed for INDIANA JONES 5

Ricard

Is it only strange to me that Williams in this part of his career scores only Star Wars films and Spielberg films?

I mean, do you think maybe noone else asks him to score his film?

Because you know, this style is considered old-fashioned now so..

50 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Is it only strange to me that Williams in this part of his career scores only Star Wars films and Spielberg films?

I mean, do you think maybe noone else asks him to score his film?

Because you know, this style is considered old-fashioned now so..

50% of the movies he has scored in the last 3 years have been neither sw or Spielberg.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

50% of the movies he has scored in the last 3 years have been neither sw or Spielberg.

Huh?

2005 - Munich, War of the Worlds, Geisha

2008 - Indy 4

2011 - Tintin, War Horse

2012 - Lincoln

2013 - The Book Thief

2015 - SW VII

2016 - The BFG

i see 10 films in the last 11 years, of which only 2 are not SW or Steven Spielberg.

That's 20%.

Where did you get your figures?

and if we get the last 3 years, it's 1 out of 3.

In the next 3 years, according  to imdb there are 4  films, all of which are Spielberg and SW.

So, i think it's perfectly safe to say that in this part of his career he scores only SW and Spielberg movies.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

George Lucas isn't retired! He's going to make small artistic films! He said so!

Sadly I'm the only one here who think Williams should provide those films with small artistic scores.

46 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Sadly I'm the only one here who think Williams should provide those films with small artistic scores.

I'd LOVE for small artistic scores by Williams 100 times more than another Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Huh?

2008 - Indy 4

2011 - Tintin, War Horse

2012 - Lincoln

2013 - The Book Thief

2015 - SW VII

2016 - The BFG

i see 10 films in the last 11 years, of which only 2 are not SW or Steven Spielberg.

That's 20%.

In the next 3 years, according  to imdb there are 4  films, all of which are Spielberg and SW.

So, i think it's perfectly safe to say that in this part of his career he scores only SW and Spielberg movies.

I just don't get the word "only."  Yes, the majority of his scores are Spielberg and SW, but, given The Book Thief, not exclusively.  So why not be factually correct and say the "vast majority." 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I just don't get the word "only."  Yes, the majority of his scores are Spielberg and SW, but, given The Book Thief, not exclusively.  So why not be factually correct and say the "vast majority." 

well, when I wrote my initial post, i was thinking most of the post Book thief films (including the future announced ones), so the word "only" applies perfectly well in that regard! ;)

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I would seriously love nothing more than to hear that Lucas has secretly been making those weird little films all along since 2005, complete with secret weird little John Williams scores.  

15 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Now if they'd just pull George Lucas out of retirement.

14 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No!

Yes!

32 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I would seriously love nothing more than to hear that Lucas has secretly been making those weird little films all along since 2005, complete with secret weird little John Williams scores.  

Hmmm, Lalo Schifrin is still alive. He might put a spanner in the works ...

o.jpg

First teaser pic for Son Of THX

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:12 AM, filmmusic said:

Huh?

2008 - Indy 4

2011 - Tintin, War Horse

2012 - Lincoln

2013 - The Book Thief

2015 - SW VII

2016 - The BFG

That's 20%.

Well, at least Spielberg always offers him diversity in terms of genre and style, it's not like JW is always asked to repeat himself--quite the contrary, I'd say! Sure there are certain stylistic patterns that return from score to score, but it's safe to say his Spielberg output is pretty versatile and different.

The fact he's still being asked to write scores for Star Wars and Indiana Jones sequels has much more to do with Hollywood's current state of things than Williams' will of doing different things. That being said, it looks like he's happy to have a full plate of many things, including concert music. I think it's quite remarkable that he's still this active at his age.

Saw my first BFG trailer in the theatre yesterday. It looks horrible. Spielberg boasts that he motion capture exceeds Cameron's. Not by that trailer Steven. Not sure if John's music is in it but I just can't see this being good.

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Saw my first BFG trailer in the theatre yesterday. It looks horrible. Spielberg boasts that he motion capture exceeds Cameron's. Not by that trailer Steven. Not sure if John's music is in it but I just can't see this being good.

At the very least, you have to admit Rylance sounded great, right? There was a remarkable tenderness to his lines in the trailer. 

On 6/13/2016 at 9:23 AM, JoeinAR said:

None of the BFG trailers or commercials have featured any JW music at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I just realized: assuming Williams scores "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara," I think Indy 5 might end up being the 30th film in the Spielberg/Williams collaboration. If it ends up being the last, it'd be a hell of a number to go out on. Exactly 30 Williams scores.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Something I just realized: assuming Williams scores "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara," I think Indy 5 might end up being the 30th film in the Spielberg/Williams collaboration. If it ends up being the last, it'd be a hell of a number to go out on. Exactly 30 Williams scores.

does your list of S/W collaborations include American Journey?  (It should, if it does not). 

FEATURE LENGTH FILM collaborations between Spielberg & Williams

1. Sugarland Express

2. Jaws

3. CE3K

4. 1941

5. Raiders

6. ET

7. Temple of Doom

8. Empire of the Sun

9. Last Crusade

10. Always

11. Hook

12. Jurassic Park

13. Schindler's List

14. The Lost World

15. Amistad

16. Saving Private Ryan

17. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

18. Minority Report

19. Catch Me If You Can

20. The Terminal

21. War of the Worlds

22. Munich

23. Crystal Skull

24. Tintin

25. War Horse

26. Lincoln

27. The BFG

28?. Ready Player One?

29?. The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara?

30?. It's What I Do?

31?. Indiana Jones 5?

32?. West Side Story?

Obviously, the list changes if you want to include American Journey, The Mission, and Ghost Train.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Obviously, the list changes if you want to include American Journey, The Mission, and Ghost Train.

And A TIMELESS CALL. People tend to forget that. It's in the same category as AMERICAN JOURNEY/AN UNFINISHED JOURNEY.

Right, which is why I specifically stated Feature Films.

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

To be fair, counting the special edition of CE3K as separate is practically the definition of needlessly splitting hairs.

Right, exactly.  I like the music a lot, but it makes no sense to consider it a separate entry in a list of their collaborations.  Its part of CE3K's complete score.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Spielberg will shoot that Jennifer Lawrence movie. Before Indy 5 probably

It seems like Edgardo Mortara is already the movie that he's "squeezing in" before he's set to start on Indy, so I think the JLaw movie would go after both of those, if/when he does it.

On 27/06/2016 at 2:26 PM, Jay said:

Meh

"Meh"? The only people who say  "meh" are teenage EMOs, who live in trailer parks, and who wear Linkin Park baseball caps backwards.

On 12/06/2016 at 7:20 PM, Alexcremers said:

Hmmm, Lalo Schifrin is still alive. He might put a spanner in the works ...

o.jpg

First teaser pic for Son Of THX

Would that be "THX 1139"?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

"Meh"? The only people who say  "meh" are teenage EMOs, who live in trailer parks, and who wear Linkin Park baseball caps backwards.

Do you mean EMOs or goths? 

Over here, one sort of merged into the other. EMOs are just Goths who got lazy.

At least Goths liked The Cult, The Cure,  Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, etc.

Look at the daughter in "The Inctedibles". That's what I'm talking about.