The Academy changes rules regarding Best Original Score

Alex

http://www.thewrap.com/new-oscars-rules-knock-multi-part-documentaries-like-oj-made-america/

And the Music Branch will now allow a film score written by three or more “equally contributing” composers. In the past, it was extremely difficult for a score written by two composers to qualify, and impossible for a score written by more than two to become eligible.

“In the Music (Original Score) category, in the case of a score that has three or more equally contributing composers, the composers may be considered as a group. If the score wins the Original Score award, the group would receive a single statuette.”

I wonder how they define "equally contributing".

Just now, Stefancos said:

Wasnt that common knowledge by now? Thats how he's able to do like 6 or 7 shows and season and do films.

I dont even think its really a secret.

Nope not true. He writes all his own music.

Still waiting for proof though...?

I interviewed him in 2015 and he said he writes his own music and doesn't have a team of composer helping him. I don't recall seeing any additional music credits on his scores. All composers have additional music composers on a few random scores here and there, but he definitely does not have a secret team of composers doing all his work with him. 

It's interesting, you frequently refer to you and I as "old men", but I think that you relate to it more than I do, because you're the one who is clearly stuck living in the past. 

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's interesting, you frequently refer to you and I as "old men", but I think that you relate to it more than I do, because you're the one who is clearly stuck living in the past. 

What? Wrong thread?

I suppose it's entirely possible you were being sarcastic in your first reply in the thread. If so, disregard my previous post. It was the Likes attached which makes me think it's been taken quite seriously... 

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I suppose it's entirely possible you were being sarcastic in your first reply in the thread. If so, disregard my previous post. It was the Likes attached which makes me think it's been taken quite seriously... 

You obviously know me better than those 3 who liked my post! 

I was being sarcastic in a way. Though I am far more drawn to scores with an individuals style than a comittee score

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Now, Zimmer's ghostwriters get the chance to win an oscar.

Zimmer doesn't have ghostwriters. They're all credited on the sheets. That's why Dark Knight was first declared ineligible. 

The last time I saw the Academy Awards was when I stayed up late one night in '94 to see Spielberg enjoy his first drink after the longest drought of his life. 

6 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I interviewed him in 2015 and he said he writes his own music and doesn't have a team of composer helping him. I don't recall seeing any additional music credits on his scores. All composers have additional music composers on a few random scores here and there, but he definitely does not have a secret team of composers doing all his work with him. 

There is only one relatively prominent composer who is "known" to have some genuine, shady ghostwriting stuff happening.  It is not Bear. 

What does it matter, anyway? It's not as if the works we are talking about here are great artistic statements. If we were to learn that, i. e., half of 'E. T.' or 'Star Trek TMP' was written by a team of LA composers it would be an entirely different matter.

That's why i cheekily choose that example (and this particular Williams because it was subject of a plagiarism lawsuit) but also because it is clear how they amount to storms in a teacup. With current composers for films and television often offering up broad eclectic templates with a limited amount of personal expression i don't see much of an issue here. The gregarious amounts of tv underscore McCreary is officially responsible for: i listen to stuff like this on Spotify and while a lot of it is competently done,  it is also anonymous in its writing to the extent that a, say, John Barry score could never be. It's just the nature of the beast and we must part by acting as if modern film and tv music still is the same kind of single artistic achievement that it was in the Golden or Silver Age.

Again I agree. Most of what i have heard of Bear is competent but generic. Better than most of what is written for TV. But thats kinda it. It's not that vital a question who wrote what.

His fans seem to either resent the implication, or tip-toe around the issue.