Ridley Scott on Star Wars

Arpy

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/12/ridley-scott-thinks-disney-should-hire-more-experienced-directors-for-star-wars/

...You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but I'll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, it's as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if you're really experienced and you know what you're doing, it's fucking essential...

I think he's right regarding the "experience" factor. Whenever you read about Spielberg or Scorsese or any of the big-names in Hollywood, you can tell they get in and get what they need and get out. Kathleen Kennedy and Co. have surely felt the effects of millions of dollars in reshoots on two films so far because their faith in these indie directors were misplaced.

I like Scott's candidness though, it's refreshing to see a director being open about the nitty gritty shitty business and not fearing retaliation.

His latest films have been a mixed bag of half-baked ideas...

26 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Was Gladiator Scott’s last really good film?

No.

A Ridley Scott STAR WARS would have been interesting, but I'd rather hope he gets to finish the new ALIEN trilogy. Both of the films so far have been some of the very best the 2010s have had to offer.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

No.

I mean, American Gangster was alright but I think that’s it. He made two God awful “Alien” movies and there was that appalling Egyptian thing. He made Robin Hood old and boring. 

The dude should be stopped at this point. 

I mean, American Gangster was alright but I think that’s it. He made two God awful “Alien” movies and there was that appalling Egyptian thing. He made Robin Hood old and boring. 

The dude should be stopped at this point. 

You couldn't be more wrong. :P

Yes, he's had a couple of movies since GLADIATOR that haven't been THAT good (I'm not that thrilled with MATCHSTICK MEN, A GOOD YEAR, THE COUNSELOR and THE MARTIAN -- although I could easily recommend all of them; Scott's bar is that high), but the rest have been great. I'm an avid defender of EXODUS: GODS & KINGS, and obviously thankful that the JWFAN community is not representative when it comes to the critical reception of the two bloody brilliant ALIEN movies.

Just now, publicist said:

But Thor, you sure aren't representative of critical reception of those movies, either...;)

I actually am. Not representative of the fan community, perhaps, but definitely representative of the majority of film critics. Especially COVENANT.

I found them entertaining in a cheap, formulaic Hollywood way but far from being anything to be seriously considered as worthy update of the canon. Scott has basically been a gun-for-hire who takes on whatever project shoots fast and easy, preferably with a script attached, and while this sure is quite an achievement at his age, the resulting movies are compromised at best. I am not a film critic so i take this stuff as it comes and i saw 'The Martian' and 'Exodus' and 'Robin Hood' and these are truly no reasons to become a film fan.

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The auteur director of The Brothers Bloom, Looper and those 2 great Breaking Bad episodes?

Suuure.....

Auteur theory doesn't define directors based on how prolific they are. An auteur isn't necessarily a seasoned "big-shot" Hollywood director.

It applies to any director who has enough control over the production and enough of a personal style, that the finished film feels like his product. The Last Jedi is just that - its a Rian Johnson movie.

Lars Von Trier is a true auteur. I wanna see that Star Wars movie!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I found them entertaining in a cheap, formulaic Hollywood way but far from being anything to be seriously considered as worthy update of the canon. Scott has basically been a gun-for-hire who takes on whatever project shoots fast and easy, preferably with a script attached, and while this sure is quite an achievement at his age, the resulting movies are compromised at best. I am not a film critic so i take this stuff as it comes and i saw 'The Martian' and 'Exodus' and 'Robin Hood' and these are truly no reasons to become a film fan.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A true auteur director doesnt do the 9th Star Wars movie ever made. He creates something of himself. Rian Johnson is NOT an auteur.

The project doesn't matter.

The product does.

26 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Auteur theory doesn't define directors based on how prolific they are. An auteur isn't necessarily a seasoned "big-shot" Hollywood director.

It applies to any director who has enough control over the production and enough of a personal style, that the finished film feels like his product. The Last Jedi is just that - its a Rian Johnson movie.

Please. I doubt that anyone, including you, would be able to point to any specific 'personal style' inherent to RJ in this movie (pardon, 'product'). It's a multi million $ operation with hundreds of people working on it independently. The authors of the auteur theory never dared to dream of productions of this scope.

Wikipedia: An auteur (French: [o.tœʁ], author) is a singular artist who controls all aspects of a collaborative creative work, a person equivalent to the author of a novel or a play.

Lars Von Trier fits the bill but Rian Johnson strikes me as a gun for hire.

According to foreign directors it's virtually impossible to make an auteur film under the Hollywood system. It's like an oiled machine. Movies practically make themselves. Everybody has their speciality. They just expect a director to show up and shout "action!" In Europe you have to do everything yourself. In Hollywood the director isn't even allowed to touch the camera, so to speak, or the cameraman will call his union.

20 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

According to foreign directors it's virtually impossible to make an auteur film under the Hollywood system. It's like an oiled machine. Movies practically make themselves. Everybody has their speciality. They just expect a director to show up and shout "action!" In Europe you have to do everything yourself. In Hollywood the director isn't even allowed to touch the camera, so to speak, or the cameraman will call his union.

Luc Besson comes to mind...

George Lucas, never forget, is something of an auteur himself. In fact it seems the Hollywood system is his mortal enemy and always has been.

5 minutes ago, idril said:

George Lucas, never forget, is something of an auteur himself. In fact it seems the Hollywood system is his mortal enemy and always has been.

Yet he sold his IP to a Hollywood conglomerate?

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Yet he sold his IP to a Hollywood conglomerate?

In interviews, even he seems baffled by his own doing this! Disney = 'White slavers'!

But I believe it was largely to keep his employees in their jobs.

So I read that Disney's three Star Wars films combined have made combined 4 billion now (and counting), around what they bought the franchise from Lucas for.  Obviously that doesn't take into account the production and market costs, (though it doesn't take into account their merchandising revenues either), so all in all I'd say it was an excellent investment on Disney's part. 

I wonder if Lucas should have held out for more!

Rian Johnson certainly has it in him (at most, he can be considered an 'action auteur' at the present time), but it's too early tell. He'll need to do a few more works in order to find the thematic and stylistic threads running through his work.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Rian Johnson certainly has it in him (at most, he can be considered an 'action auteur' at the present time), but it's too early tell. He'll need to do a few more works in order to find the thematic and stylistic threads running through his work.

The "thematic and stylistic threads" were already running through Spielberg's work, after only three films (four, if you count DUEL).

33 minutes ago, Richard said:

He sold Lucasfilm for over four billion dollars!!!!!!!!!!!! Why would he want more?!

Didn't he donate most of said money to charity?

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Didn't he donate most of said money to charity?

He got half in cash and half in stock. He gave the cash to education charities in California I believe it was. 

Star Wars films have made $4billion in ticket sales but Disney doesn’t get 100% of every ticket sale.