Know anyone who actively dislikes film scores?

Unlucky Bastard

As a kid, I received a lot of dismissal and discouragement from family members who found my interest in film scores an annoyance and maybe even a hindrance to my development. My older brother was particularly resistant to my interest, demanding to know why I never gave a hoot about the Top 40 charts and could be a plain arsehole about some of the more overtly dramatic film scores I liked. He even insisted I was a homer sexual because of it!

A publisher I worked for years ago ran a film related magazine, so I queried him on his favourite film scores and noted I was an avid collector, and he just looked down his nose at me and asked why I would listen to something that's meant to be part of the "collaborative process"? His attitude was rather dismissive and snide, so I never really spoke to him in a casual manner again.

Anyone else know someone who actively dislikes film scores?

Not outright dislike, just those that are baffled by the concept of listening to music outside of the film, or "music without lyrics? Doesn't that get boring?". 

Not to mention the sheer number of scores I own from films I've either never seen or don't care about...and then there's Robert Folk's A Troll in Central Park

It is, however, marveling that so many people don't get the concept of enjoying dramatic music. I mean, dissonances are what makes music music. What is their point? That the emotional range of the music I listen to is too big? That it is not boring enough?

I do still feel an inherent embarrassment when I see a score album at Half Price Books and go up to buy it...I doubt the cashier cares, it's just my meek nature acting up. If I recall correctly, the last time I bought an album in person (rather than online) was Inside Out

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Not outright dislike, just those that are baffled by the concept of listening to music outside of the film, or "music without lyrics? Doesn't that get boring?". 

Yup, that. But I used to encounter this reaction far more often years ago than today.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I am baffled by my own hobby, to be honest.

Karol

Actively dislikes composers and takes the time to crap all over them like a hobby? Absolutely...though I don't know them personally. Just in places like this online. 

Know anyone who dislikes film scores? No. I don't really share it with anyone and the few who do know about my interest, they think it's kind of cool and sometimes they'll pay attention to what they hear when they watch movies. 

Even the most extreme 'anti-score' people I've met really just find it weird that someone can be interested in 'background' music that has no lyrics. Never come across anyone who actively doesn't like it.

Although when I go on my group trips in the States and select a playlist for when I'm minibus DJ, the only soundtrack cues you're going to hear from me will be those that are instantly recognisable to everyone (Indy, JP, Potter).

As an addendum, my brother, being the rigid conformist twat that he was, would often react as if I'd done something really "naughty" if I dared venture into popular music from previous decades.

If he caught me listening to Michael Jackson or Duran Duran, he'd be like "why are you listening to that for? It's so 80s!" Same reaction if I wanted to spin something from the 60s or 70s.

I remember this being a culturally significant characteristic of the 90s while growing up in it, the arbitrary importance of being up-to-date with popular culture, especially music, or else be branded "old" and "not with it", as well as a collective shame and embarrassment of styles and fashions of previous decades. This attitude seems to have faded out a lot over the last decade, probably due to the strong online nostalgia movement, but I haven't been around teenagers for a long time, so maybe that warps my perspective.

38 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

I remember this being a culturally significant characteristic of the 90s while growing up in it, the arbitrary importance of being up-to-date with popular culture, especially music, or else be branded "old" and "not with it", as well as a collective shame and embarrassment of styles and fashions of previous decades. This attitude seems to have faded out a lot over the last decade, probably due to the strong online nostalgia movement, but I haven't been around teenagers for a long time, so maybe that warps my perspective.

I feel that this generation currently is very musically open-minded and receptive, perhaps because of how much more readily available music is now. Whatever the reason, it is something that is great to see (or hear, I suppose).  

49 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Now, that is quite true. I hadn't considered that, if I'm being honest.  

Oh, I was answering the topic question though I suppose it does look like I was snarkily replying to your post (which I agree with for the most part, despite the fact that I know plenty of musically closed-minded people in my generation (some in the film score world!))