If The Lost World gets a 20th Anniv. Release like Jurassic Park...

crumbs

In 4 years, if TLW gets a 20th Anniversary Release like Jurassic Park, complete with unreleased music in composite tracks, what do you want released?

Assuming the total runtime has to be 85 minutes or under, what 17 minutes of unreleased music would you want to see?

Scary to think the microedits on the current album might go unresolved, given "Rescuing Sarah" microedited some of the best music from the score.

Hehe, not exactly. It won't get a 20th Anniversary type of release, no.

But it might get a LLL/Intrada type of treatment sometime. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one coming out.

Karol

So basically like a load of complete film score releases?

Hehe, not exactly. It won't get a 20th Anniversary type of release, no.

But it might get a LLL/Intrada type of treatment sometime. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one coming out.

Karol

That's what I meant, Chaac. "TLW" may get a complete release, some day, but JW just won't care.

Scary to think the microedits on the current album might go unresolved, given "Rescuing Sarah" microedited some of the best music from the score.

For a period, that microedit was the one, single piece of unreleased music I wanted. I can only see it being available either through a sessions leak, or a LLL/Intrada release.

I now also want the solemn string cue after the hunt scene (where they are overlooking from the cliff). The scene where the Ingen helicopters first arrive might also be interesting.

It's $1.50 used on Amazon...

I wouldn't be worrying about a proper complete set for JP if the anniversary edition had included The Trouble With Dennis. (it wasn't part of my DVD rip-supplemented set, but it's the only substantial cue unreleased, which is annoying.)

In 4 years, if TLW gets a 20th Anniversary Release like Jurassic Park, complete with unreleased music in composite tracks, what do you want released?

Assuming the total runtime has to be 85 minutes or under, what 17 minutes of unreleased music would you want to see?

Well, I'd personally pick the unreleased cues that weren't even used (or only partially used) in the film so we currently have to resort to mockups to "hear" them - so I'd go with:

6m2/7m1 Up In A Basket (2:58) [Final 2 minutes were dropped from the film)

6m2/7m1 Part II Up In A Basket (2:30) [completely dropped from the film]

10m1 Rialto Ripples (5:46) [Huge chunks of the cue missing/replaced in film]

11m3/12m1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles (4:14) [huge portions dropped]
12m3 Ludlow's Speech (2:54) [Final minute dropped from film]
OK so that's 18 minutes, close enough :) And I also REALLY want the original ending of The Saving Dart (about 35 seconds) that was dropped from the film AND OST!

Has it ever been established just WTF happened on this production? Did Spielberg just hate the score, or did they realise they went too dark at the eleventh hour and desperately tried to dial back the tonal harshness of the music?

Has it ever been established just WTF happened on this production? Did Spielberg just hate the score, or did they realise they went too dark at the eleventh hour and desperately tried to dial back the tonal harshness of the music?

It's likely the latter.

However, from what I remember reading in a book about the film, the post production on this film wasn't directly supervised by Spielberg, as he was already shooting Amistad and preparing Saving Private Ryan. Most of the duties were handled by producers Kathy Kennedy and Colin Wilson.

It's likely the latter.

That's what I think as well.

It's likely the latter.

That's what I think as well.

Ditto. I think the film makers were perhaps surprised how dark and edgy Williams made his music, hence the desperation with which they tracked the main theme in at every possible opporturnity. One would also hazard a guess that it was too late in the game for Williams to go back and rescore those sequences.

If I remember correctly, Steven handed post-production duties and the editing of the whole thing to David Koepp. Maybe he was the one that felt a lot of the score wasn't working... And remember there was a much different cut before, which was the one Johnny scored. Supposedly The Hunt would fit nicely on that cut, but then the whole thing got re-cut and Johnny wasn't able to do new sessions, so they edited the music as they saw fit.

That's what I remember, at least.

I think Spielberg crosses a line when he's so busy making his next movie that he can't even supervise post-production on his current one.

It's like a director not attending recording sessions (although obviously that happens vastly more often). I wouldn't dream of not being present during the creation of such a massive part of the film.

Well, he handed post-production duties of the first film to George Lucas, so it isn't that new to him.

I think his heart was somewhere else when making these movies. Although I adore the first JP, in TLW it really shows his lack of love for the series. He was trying to be more recognised as a serious filmmaker instead of a blockbuster guy. It's kinda always like that with him, he can't decide what he wants to be. Fun or serious. Why can't he be both is a mistery to me.

It's kinda always like that with him, he can't decide what he wants to be. Fun or serious. Why can't he be both is a mistery to me.

I'd say Minority Report, War of hte Worlds, CMIYC, Sugarland Exress are both fun and serious.

There's a lot of "Rialto Ripples" that's not really there in the film - they seem to have used a lot of looping and editing to get rid of much of the material.

I knew I was right! Reverted prior post :)

Well, he handed post-production duties of the first film to George Lucas, so it isn't that new to him.

I think his heart was somewhere else when making these movies. Although I adore the first JP, in TLW it really shows his lack of love for the series. He was trying to be more recognised as a serious filmmaker instead of a blockbuster guy. It's kinda always like that with him, he can't decide what he wants to be. Fun or serious. Why can't he be both is a mistery to me.

I seriously doubt that Spielberg would have been absent from the TLW scoring sessions. That would be the first.

Were there many cues with revised versions? If not, it would indicate the tracking was an extremely late change once they saw the film complete and were unhappy with how dark it became (something you don't notice when you're recording a score one cue at a time, and Spielberg has boundless trust in JW's decisionmaking for tone).

If there were lots of revised cues, it probably indicates Spielberg was never happy with the score in the first place, but there was only so much John could re-write while the scoring sessions were underway and they tracked cues for sequences he couldn't re-score.

As far as album vs the film, what's actually replaced? I can only recall two instances of the LW concert piece tracked in (part of The Hunt, and the helicopter rescue at the end).

Having said that, I haven't seen the film in years, so I may be forgetting loads of obviously tracked concert statements in place of unreleased cues.

As far as album vs the film, what's actually replaced? I can only recall two instances of the LW concert piece tracked in (part of The Hunt, and the helicopter rescue at the end).

Having said that, I haven't seen the film in years, so I may be forgetting loads of obviously tracked concert statements in place of unreleased cues.

The roundup sequence, raptor attack in the compound/escape via Chopper and Ludlow's death all featured the main theme poorly tracked in. I think even the ending cue is replaced; I don't think JW's intention was to have the island fanfare over the final shot (the OST certainly indicates it was the "majestic" theme providing a much more reserved ending cue).

That's the cue I was talking about earlier - "The Saving Dart". As Williams wrote it, he intended the cue to end with the final variation of the danger theme, but it was axed from the film and axed from the OST. I'd LOVE to hear it.

I just cannot imagine SS allowing David Koepp to edit his film, and relegate Michael Khan to a back-seat. O.K., so he did hand PP duties on JP to Lucas, but I know who I would rather trust to handle post on my film, and it sure ain't Mr. Koepp!

I honestly don't think he cared that much.

Odd as it seems, for Indy, Spielberg kinda sees him self as the director for hire. Lucas signed of on the script, so that was good enough for Steven.

It's very obvious that Spielberg had no personal reason to make Indy 4, apart from re teaming with Ford and Lucas that is.

I honestly don't think he cared that much.

Odd as it seems, for Indy, Spielberg kinda sees him self as the director for hire. Lucas signed of on the script, so that was good enough for Steven.

It's very obvious that Spielberg had no personal reason to make Indy 4, apart from re teaming with Ford and Lucas that is.

There were a huge number of rewrites and new versions of the Indy 4 script but in the end they went for Koepp for some reason. Somehow it feels that Spielberg did Indy IV mostly to hang around with the old gang and because Lucas nagged him to do it. He even says so on the DVD documentaries right from the start.

But if there was a possibility to get 15 to 17 minutes of extra music from TLW, the list made by Jason in his above post would probably my pick as well.

There were a huge number of rewrites and new versions of the Indy 4 script but in the end they went for Koepp for some reason. Somehow it feels that Spielberg did Indy IV mostly to hang around with the old gang and because Lucas nagged him to do it. He even says so on the DVD documentaries right from the start.

Spielberg basically made Indy 4, because it's was expected of him. Everyone else wanted that film.

• 1 year later...

I've been listening to this score a lot this last couple of days and man, I can't get enough of it. I think there's not a single note wasted in this. The adventorous ballsy main theme, the terror atonal music, the savage percussion, The Hunt! I love it every day a little more, I don't how it's possible but with all great Williams scores it gets better every time you listen to it. For example, just the other day I "discovered" something from the ending of Rescuing Sarah (and yes, how could omit the gothic T-Rex attack is blasphemous- the only logical explanation is that it was a late insert and there wasn't time to put in the album) something that wowed me to no end and I still can't enough of it:

Listen closely from 3:09 to the end. Yeah, it's Jaws-like, but listen closely to the strings at 3:29. Listen how the rise and get really high-pitched till the do a beautiful yet simple descending notes -I wish I could explain this in a more musical and coherent way, so if somebody's willing to help please do.

It's amazing to me because I've never heard it before, I always focused on the brass. But those trings *make* that climax. It's that good.

Just wanted to share that little moment of giddy fan excitment I got :)

(and yes, how could omit the gothic T-Rex attack is blasphemous- the only logical explanation is that it was a late insert and there wasn't time to put in the album)

Just the parts they didn't like.

It wasn't a later insert, just a totally standard confusing Williams album microedit.

In fact, this score is, like Jurassic Park, completely devoid of any inserts or alternates at all. He just wrote one version of every cue, and that's all there is, for both movies.

The only exception if you call it that is the little bits used to turn the dinosaurs cue into the Theme From Jurassic Park track for the first movie, and the two different openings for the The Lost World track (one used on album, one used in the end credits) for the second one.

Shame that JW didn't have a chance to write collection of new renditions of the Lost World theme for all those scenes that had it tracked in later. Too late in the post production I guess.