Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project

Jay

STTNGboxshot350.jpg

Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project (1987-1999)

Music by Ron Jones

Price: $149.95

Limited #: 5000

Line: Box Sets

CD Release: September 2010

Catalog #: FSM Box 5

# of Discs: 14

Film Score Monthly’s fifth box set is devoted to a single composer: Star Trek: The Next Generation—The Ron Jones Project is a mammoth, 14CD collection of 40 complete episode scores by Ron Jones for the first four years of Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1991), plus bonus tracks from Jones’s two-part “The Best of Both Worlds” (already available on CD) and two Interplay computer games, Starfleet Academy (1997) and Starfleet Command (1999).

Star Trek is one of the world’s most famous franchises, with over 40 years of television series and feature films. The second live-action series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, was the first to demonstrate that the show’s concept and ideals could translate to a new cast of characters. FSM’s box set is a huge leap forward in making available the series’ best music.

Several gifted composers worked on ST:TNG, including Ron Jones, who scored 42 episodes over the series’ first four seasons—including fan-favorites such as “Where No One Has Gone Before,” “11001001,” “Heart of Glory,” “Q Who,” “Who Watches the Watchers,” “The Defector,” “The Best of Both Worlds,” “Brothers” and “Final Mission.”

Jones distinguished himself with a dynamic and cinematic style, inspired by film music titans such as Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams and Bernard Herrmann, in which he sought to provide each and every episode with its own theme and sound. He diligently analyzed each story’s literary themes and characters in order to come up with exactly the right melody or orchestration. From his imaginative themes for Star Trek’s alien races, tender emotional scoring, cutting-edge electronics and magnificent “space opera” battle music, this is some of the best music ever written not just for Star Trek, but for television.

Visit FSM’s online notes—for free—to listen to sound clips and read commentary (featuring Ron Jones’s insights) for each episode. The physical box set features the 14 discs in three “clamshell” cases, with an illustrated 60-page booklet containing track lists and an introductory essay—all packaged in a sturdy gold slipcase.

Due to licensing restrictions, there will not be any download sales or individual releases of the discs. (At $149.95, this box set contains over 16 hours of music—all in immaculate stereo—and costs the equivalent of $10.71 per disc.) At 5,000 units, it is limited, but there should be enough copies available for everyone who is interested.

Rarely has a labor of love on the part of the record company resulted in an album that will be of interest to so many fans, and yield so much listening pleasure. Ron Jones has fielded requests for these scores for over two decades (including from the CD producers), and finally they are all available—in their entirety. Please see the online notes and begin reading about this exceptional talent and his wonderful scores.

PRE-ORDER, due in stock late September!

Season One 1987–1988

DISC 1:

“The Naked Now” #103

Tracks 1–10, Total Time: 22:49

“Where No One Has Gone Before” #106

Tracks 11–20, Total Time: 21:15

“Lonely Among Us” #108

Tracks 21–29, Total Time: 22:35

Total Time: 66:53

DISC 2:

“The Battle” #110

Tracks 1–9, Total Time: 20:29

“Datalore” #114

Tracks 10–19, Total Time: 25:00

“11001001” #116

Tracks 20–34, Total Time: 29:56

Total Time: 75:38

DISC 3:

“When the Bough Breaks” #118

Tracks 1–14, Total Time: 27:30

“Heart of Glory” #120

Tracks 15–26, Total Time: 25:42

Total Time: 53:18

DISC 4:

“Skin of Evil” #122

Tracks 1–12, Total Time: 32:24

“We’ll Always Have Paris” #124

Tracks 13–23, Total Time: 25:38

“The Neutral Zone” #126

Tracks 24–32, Total Time: 17:14

Total Time: 75:29

Season Two 1988–1989

DISC 5:

“Where Silence Has Lease” #128

Tracks 1–11, Total Time: 28:09

“The Outrageous Okona” #130

Tracks 12–22, Total Time: 21:49

“Loud as a Whisper” #132

Tracks 23–32, Total Time: 21:53

Total Time: 72:04

DISC 6:

“A Matter of Honor” #134

Tracks 1–9, Total Time: 17:49

“The Royale” #138

Tracks 10–18, Total Time: 15:34

“The Icarus Factor” #140

Tracks 19–27, Total Time: 14:07

“Q Who” #142

Tracks 28–39, Total Time: 27:19

Total Time: 75:10

DISC 7:

“Up the Long Ladder” #144

Tracks 1–12, Total Time: 21:01

“The Emissary” #146

Tracks 13–22, Total Time: 23:14

“Shades of Gray” #148

Tracks 23–34, Total Time: 25:43

Total Time: 70:11

Season Three 1989–1990

DISC 8:

“Evolution” #150

Tracks 1–8, Total Time: 16:01

“Who Watches the Watchers” #152

Tracks 9–22, Total Time: 24:03

“Booby Trap” #154

Tracks 23–31, Total Time: 13:50

“The Price” #156

Tracks 32–41, Total Time: 19:05

Total Time: 73:18

DISC 9:

“The Defector” #158

Tracks 1–9, Total Time: 17:18

“The High Ground” #160

Tracks 10–17, Total Time: 15:14

“A Matter of Perspective” #162

Tracks 18–25, Total Time: 13:26

“The Offspring” #164

Tracks 26–32, Total Time: 19:11

Total Time: 65:29

DISC 10:

“Allegiance” #166

Tracks 1–10, Total Time: 23:43

“Ménage à Troi” #172

Tracks 11–20, Total Time: 18:04

Season Four 1990–1991

“Brothers” #177

Tracks 21–28, Total Time: 22:15

Alternate Cues, Tracks 29–35, Total Time: 11:06

Total Time: 75:27

DISC 11:

“Reunion” #181

Tracks 1–8, Total Time: 19:46

“Final Mission” #183

Tracks 9–21, Total Time: 23:04

“Data’s Day” #185

Tracks 22–28, Total Time: 15:31

“Devil’s Due” #187

Tracks 29–36, Total Time: 14:34

Total Time: 73:15

DISC 12:

“First Contact” #189

Tracks 1–10, Total Time: 14:09

“Night Terrors” #191

Tracks 11–19, Total Time: 19:09

“The Nth Degree” #193

Tracks 20–27, Total Time: 21:15

“The Drumhead” #195

Tracks 28–34, Total Time: 14:32

“The Best of Both Worlds“ #174-175

Bonus Tracks 35-40, Total Time: 5:00

Total Time: 74:32

DISC 13:

Additional and Alternate Cues

Season One

Tracks 1–6, Total Time: 4:41

Season Two

Tracks 7–22, Total Time: 19:57

Season Three

Tracks 23–43, Total Time: 29:30

Season Four

Tracks 44–66, Total Time: 25:08

Total Time: 79:28

DISC 14:

Interplay Computer Games

Starfleet Academy

Tracks 1–10, Total Time: 24:57

Starfleet Command

Tracks 11–42, Total Time: 31:58

Bonus Tracks 43–50, Total Time: 5:43

Total Time: 62:52

Online liner notes:

http://www.filmscore...ox05_intro.html

Film Score Monthly page, with cover art:

http://www.filmscore...il.cfm?cdID=451

Order direct from SAE:

http://www.screenarc...1999-PRE-ORDER/

Order autographed copy direct from SAE:

http://www.screenarc...PHED-PRE-ORDER/

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably couldn't include the Main Title and End Credits because of right issues. I however, will be including them with the scores. It doesn't seem right with out them.

That box set looks killer, I did a pre-order from SAE and I'll be getting a signed copy! ;) I'm one happy camper.

Several years ago (maybe ten now!) on jones' old site, he had a dozen or more "demo" cues for another Trek game, a Klingon game; I seem to recall -- without recallign the title -- that he didn't end up scoring it. I only saved tow or three of those cues. Would have made a nice bonus to round out the 15th disc.

I also placed an order for the autographed pre-order edition. I was going to kick myself for not seeing this sooner -- it was posted at around 11:30 AM my time -- but then the link stayed there, and stayed in my cart, and it's still in my account. I think it's for real!

I also ordered ST:TNG Volume Two to get the music from The Best of Both Worlds not included in this set. I have a copy from...um...but it clicks and jumps, and buying it now with this set is logical.

Several years ago (maybe ten now!) on jones' old site, he had a dozen or more "demo" cues for another Trek game, a Klingon game; I seem to recall -- without recallign the title -- that he didn't end up scoring it. I only saved tow or three of those cues. Would have made a nice bonus to round out the 15th disc.

Would it be Klingon Academy? As the sequel to Starfleet Academy, that would make sense, and Inon Zur wrote the score in place of Ron Jones.

It's not an obvious question because there are other Klingon-themed games.

For the uninitiated: Ron Jones may not be a familiar name like John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith or Bernard Herrmann, but he poured his heart and soul into The Next Generation in the best tradition of those giants. He labored to come up with just the right melody and orchestration for each episode. Listen to the sound clips and read the program commentary on this Web site and you will discover an artist who believes in the power of music and in forging new ground in the best tradition of Star Trek. FSM would not be releasing 14 discs of his music if we did not believe this was some of the greatest—and most overlooked—scoring not only for television or Star Trek, but for film in general.

That's pretty god damned persuasive! I dunno though.

I bought the "Best Of Both Worlds" score when it was first released but it was one of the many causalities before I moved from Las Vegas. I did however, bought it again pretty cheap from Amazon if I remember correctly. It'll be nice to have the full score for "The Best Of Both Worlds" this time. I still may leave off the cue "Nodes". I know it's an unused cue but it's one I really don't care for, never had.

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not Wojo..but you knew this set would be $150 when FSM first announced it. ;)

Anyways it's only for pre-order right now. You card won't be charged until it ships late September.

Wait, this set is $149.95? I thought it was only $49.95. Oh shit dear Jesus, what have I done...

[McCoy]"What you had to do, ..."[/McCoy]

Seriously, with shipping, if you got the money, it's only about a bit over $11.00 per CD. Just skip buying a few Zimmer and Powell CDs for a few months, and there ya go!

Here's how to create the proper Best Of Both Worlds score, combining the GNP CD with the FSM Box:

The Best of Both Worlds #174–175

Bonus Tracks

Ron Jones's superb music for the two-part "The Best of Both Worlds," which ended the third season with a cliffhanger and launched the fourth season with a bang, remains hugely popular for its Star Wars-style space action and bold, synthesized choir conveying Armageddon at the hands of the Borg. In 1991, GNP/Crescendo released Jones's scores from both parts on CD (GNPD 8026) as "Volume Two" of their series of The Next Generation soundtracks. This pre-existing album contractually limited FSM to releasing no more than five minutes of music recorded for the "The Best of Both Worlds," whether previously released or not.

Disc 12, tracks 35–40 feature exactly 5:00 of unreleased music: short cues left off the GNP/Crescendo CD to facilitate a better album experience, but included here to flesh out the scores' subtler moments. From "Part I," "Early Worm" features a gently ominous two-note theme used for Riker's competitive relationship with the up-and-coming Commander Shelby (Elizabeth Dennehy). From "Part II," "Borg Reach Saturn" is the apocalyptic end of act four, for a nifty FX shot of the Borg cube approaching Saturn.

The information below provides guidance for listeners wishing to create a chronological playlist mixing tracks from the earlier album with those on this set:

"The Best of Both Worlds" #174

• New Providence M11 1:22 (GNP track 2)
  • Early Worm M14 1:08 (FSM disc 12, track 35)
  • Preparations M21 0:24 (FSM disc 12, track 36)
  • Hansen's Message M24 1:27 (GNP track 3)
  • Borg Engaged M25 1:18 (GNP track 4)
  • First Attack M31 5:04 (GNP track 5)
  • Contemplations M41AltA 0:49 (FSM disc 12, track 37)
  • Borg Takes Picard M42 3:05 (GNP track 6)
  • Death Is Irrelevant M43 1:35 (GNP track 7)
  • Away Team Ready M51 1:20 (GNP track 8)
  • On the Borg Ship M52 1:28 (GNP track 9)
  • Nodes M53 2:53 (GNP track 10)
  • Captain Borg M54 3:56 (GNP track 11)

"The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" #175
  • Energy Weapon Fails M11 3:16 (GNP track 12)
  • Humanity Taken M13 0:57 (GNP track 13)
  • Contact Lost M14 0:38 (GNP track 14)
  • Repairs Complete M21 0:20 (FSM disc 12, track 38)
  • Cemetery of Dead Ships M22 1:45 (GNP track 15)
  • Currents M31 0:56 (FSM disc 12, track 39)
  • Intervention M32 4:23 (GNP track 16)
  • Sitting Ducks M41/Borg Reach Saturn M42AltA (FSM disc 12, track 40)
  • The Link M51 2:58 (GNP track 17)
  • Sleep Command M52 3:54 (GNP track 18)
  • Destruct Mode/Picard Is Back M53AltA Pt. 2 1:36 (GNP track 19)
  • Picard's Nightmare M55 1:00 (GNP track 20)

Reading that list, Jason, it's as if FSM is not legally allowed to take the next step and tell its readers about where to put tracks 1 and 21 from the GNP album: the Main Title and End Credits. It's understood, obviously. Hell, people could even split up the episodes in two by using each track twice.

Or perhaps they feel people would ask where the main credits are for the other episodes.

It's just...curious.

Will FSM and SAE announce when the pre-order autographed copies are gone? I wonder why there are a pair of links - will people actually buy the non-autographed set at this point instead?

I bought the "Best Of Both Worlds" score when it was first released but it was one of the many causalities before I moved from Las Vegas. I did however, bought it again pretty cheap from Amazon if I remember correctly. It'll be nice to have the full score for "The Best Of Both Worlds" this time. I still may leave off the cue "Nodes". I know it's an unused cue but it's one I really don't care for, never had.

It seems to be in the same mold as the rest of the episode's score. What's the problem with it? (Just curious.)

That makes sense, Jay. I may leave them off for all of the discs, except where they are included in the GNP Best of Both Worlds album.

So when Trent says he's going to add Goldsmith's main titles and end credits for the other 41 episodes, at 2:42 per album, that comes to 110 minutes' worth of extra music. They would just serve as "mister obvious" indications of where episodes begin and end, though we know Ron Jones would actually use something more musically interesting, like Courage's theme, etc.

It seems to be in the same mold as the rest of the episode's score. What's the problem with it? (Just curious.)

I actually like "Nodes." It serves as a nice introduction to "Captain Borg," with its most seminal moment in the history of The Next Generation.

So when Trent says he's going to add Goldsmith's main titles and end credits for the other 41 episodes, at 2:42 per album, that comes to 110 minutes' worth of extra music. They would just serve as "mister obvious" indications of where episodes begin and end, though we know Ron Jones would actually use something more musically interesting, like Courage's theme, etc.

I suppose it depends how you plan on listening, whether you're just going to run it disc by disc or set aside time for each episode. If I was to purchase I'd do it as the latter, but I'd want to put the credits either side as an antechamber, almost as an appetiser to get me in the mood, musically. That and that theme is my number one form of musical identification with the series outside of a few cues from 'The Best of Both Worlds' and 'All Good Things...', so it's something I would want to associate with that.

There's already a thread on this.

Link.

Haha my apologies, I didn't even realize there was another thread, as most of the discussion has been in the FSM Speculation Thread

What a cool set. I'm not buying it, but it's a wonderful package. The only score in here that I really desire to have on its own (currently) is Final Mission. I just read the liner notes for that episode and they're dead on balls accurate.

Episodes like “Final Mission” ate up a great deal of The Next Generation’s budget (while thrifty, yet equally powerful, episodes like “The Drumhead” balanced them out) but have endured as remarkable examples of the show’s production quality. After Jones left Star Trek, the occasional “cinematic” episode would often cry out for the emotional impact that only melodic, vibrant music can bring. As Jones demonstrated, correctly realized thematic music need not detract from a tone of subtlety and maturity.

I suppose it depends how you plan on listening, whether you're just going to run it disc by disc or set aside time for each episode. If I was to purchase I'd do it as the latter, but I'd want to put the credits either side as an antechamber, almost as an appetiser to get me in the mood, musically. That and that theme is my number one form of musical identification with the series outside of a few cues from 'The Best of Both Worlds' and 'All Good Things...', so it's something I would want to associate with that.

I was wondering weeks ago how to put this onto an iPod, I was that jetset on getting it. It depends on how one defines an "album." Each consumer can make up his/her own "rules" for each album, since leaving it up to the CDDB and iTunes libraries is dangerous.

Take Intrada's Back to the Future. One purchase, one album. Two CDs, two different presentations of score, original and alternate...two albums. You could go either way.

FSM's Blue Box gets trickier. One purchase, one album, but now it's a massively long album to roll through to jump straight to the Ron Jones parts to warm up. Eight discs, eight albums? But two pairs make up one "concept," i.e. Superman split over two discs, and Superman IV split over two discs. That's why my Blue Box is set as six albums.

FSM's Gold Box is not as complicated, just more massive. Fourteen discs, fourteen albums? No episodes are split across the disc boundaries, but the seasons are. Or do you create 40 albums, one for each episode, plus a few more for the alternates and video game music at the end? Do you create an album for each season?

I'm looking forward to burning up my DVD drives ripping all these CDs!

If I decide to get the TNG Set, I'd split it as 1 score = 1 album in my media collection.

Each episode would be a separate album, without regard to disc spread. That would be 40 Albums, and I'd combine the GNP cues for The Best Of Both Worlds with the FSM cues, in accordance with the online liner notes. :)

I then separate Source and Alternates into separate albums on my HD.

I find that if a score goes for multiple CDs, then they are combined into a single album.

For Star Trek III, I have 2 albums, the Film version of the score, then the Otiginal Soundtrack release.

For Intrada's Alien, I have 4 albums:

- The Original Score

- Rescored Alternate Cues

- The Soundtrack Album

- Outtakes and snippets

For the Blue Box, I'd simply separate each movie's score into albums, one per film, then leave the alternates and outtakes as a separate album.

I may have to put this box on my Christmas wish list.

As far as iTunes goes, I would probably just add each disc as is, and put the episode title next to each track title, much like I did with Amazing Stories, the various GNP Star Trek compilations and The Rozsa box. I might take Jones' TNG Main and End Titles from Best Of Both Worlds and add them to the beginning and end of each disc or score, if I were motivated enough.

Thinking further on the organization issue, I would also be tempted to add the episode number to the album titles, so it would be something like:

Star Trek - The Next Generation - 104 - Episode Title

Each cue name would start with the slate numbers (as they are listed)

1M1 - First Track etc.

As an Archival release, I'd treat it pretty much like an Archive.

Having the episode production number in the album title would ensure that they appear in episode production order.

Having the episode production number in the album title would ensure that they appear in episode production order.

That went without saying, although I would truncate the album names to "Star Trek: TNG: 101 Episode Whatever" to get to the important part more quickly.

I don't use playlists on my iPod, so I deliberately configure album names to maintain chronological order within the larger sense of alphabetical order while in Album view. I had to break a lot of conventions to get there, but they work well.

Since I know practically what each score belongs to for the Star Trek set, I"ll be separating each episode into their own play list. Example: "Q Who?" will have its own play list just as well as "Brothers" will and such.

I strictly follow whatever the CD says. For things like The IJ Soundtracks Collection and other box sets, I have the album as "Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection [Disc 1 - Raiders Of The Lost Ark] and the same for other discs in the set.

That went without saying, although I would truncate the album names to "Star Trek: TNG: 101 Episode Whatever" to get to the important part more quickly.

I don't use playlists on my iPod, so I deliberately configure album names to maintain chronological order within the larger sense of alphabetical order while in Album view. I had to break a lot of conventions to get there, but they work well.

Good idea :)

Well...I was a sucker and just ordered this, even though the music does nothing for me. It might be that I can't stand to have a hole in my FSM box set collection, but I'm also hopeful that I'll find something to like. We'll see.

Ahem. You would only have a hole in your FSM box collection if you were to buy the inevitable Box 06 before you bought this one. Otherwise, no one who wasn't a soundtrack nerd would ever suspect your collection was lacking.

This will only be my second FSM box. It is the single largest soundtrack item I have ever bought, though I reckon it's only the second-most expensive order I ever placed.

This is true, though I probably would end up buying Box 6, since most of the other boxes were right up my alley, the MGM Box notwithstanding. I ordered that upon its release, then sold it, then re-bought it after getting the Rozsa box to fill the hole. Really an unhealthy habit to get into...

While I enjoy all things Trek, I can't honestly say I've always been a huge Ron Jones fan. Some of his stuff is a bit synth heavy for my taste. And yet, a big box set presentation lovingly assembled like this could help me appreciate his stuff. I'm sure I'd enjoy the 14 disc journey, but not sure how much replay value it would have for me.

I guess after getting caught up in the pre-order hype, I'm having thoughts about cancelling. Sometimes these box sets can be found for cheaper later if somebody is unloading theirs.

As much as I enjoyed TNG, I really never enjoyed the music. Always sounded way too "wallpaper-y" to me. Listening to the Ron Jones disc from the Blue Box, I was immediately reminded of his scores for TNG, which never really did a thing for me.

But if you enjoy it, go for it. :blink:

(I'm sure someone would say the same thing about my big collection of Doctor Who music...)

I just got an email from SAE about this.

We apologize for the inconvenience but there was an error with the postage and handling unit value for this box set. This is a large and heavy box set so the cost adjustment need be made. This will ship as 10 disc units of postage like the non-autographed set.

The additional shipping cost will be added to the pending orders. If you are not okay with this please contact us for cancellation and a full refund.

I'm a bit confused on what they meant by a 10 discs units of postage?

Ah okay I guess that makes sense.

SAE got back to me and they said add $18.90 for International orders and $8.55 for domestic (in the U.S.) orders.

By the way I meant to say that I'll be leaving "On The Borg Ship" off since it really does nothing for me. I forgot "Nodes" is used in the episode for "The Best Of Both Worlds".

Don't count on that happening. The reason why FSM did this is because Lukas Kendall has always loved Ron Jones' work and Lukas has always wanted to get his music from Star Trek: The Next Generation out.