Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project

Jay

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the freedom to listen to it as I see fit. Each episode will become its own album, but since each episode is only about 20 minutes of music, that's a lot of manual flipping. So one playlist would have every episode in sequence as-is, and another playlist could extract the credits tracks from another location to insert where needed.

The opening credits go between the teaser track and the next. It's probably obvious since every teaser track ends with a musically suspenseful moment that segues into the main credits, so is it that obvious how much of this I have not listened to?

I sold my set. I gave it a chance and listened to each disc several times and read along with all the liner notes, but it really just does nothing for me. I'm sorry to say but I don't think Jones is a very good composer, he's a good technician and I'm sure the scores work great in the show but separated, at least for me, I'm left cold and bored.

Hmmm, I'm surprised. I thought this would be something you enjoyed.

Oh well, you still have good tastes when it comes to film music. :) I won't count this against you. ;)

Hmmm, I'm surprised. I thought this would be something you enjoyed.

Oh well, you still have good tastes when it comes to film music. :) I won't count this against you. ;)

I did genuinely enjoy some scores on the set, particularly the earlier ones. But as the series went on the music just did less and less for me. The video game scores were great too, I enjoyed those. But in the end the set just wasn't worth to me the money that I paid for it, so I figured I'd sell it and put the money towards other releases I'd enjoy more.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone noticed this but Lukas made this announcement / post at FSM in the Ron Jones Star Trek box thread after a member posted the follwong question:

I've just come across this on Amazon UK:

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Disc 10: The Offspring/Menage a Troi/Brothers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Generation-Offspring-Brothers/dp/B004Q61WCY/ref=dm_ap_alb4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299021312&sr=1-180

Is all of the Ron Jones Star Trek Box coming to digital download?

To which Lukas replied:

Yes, it is! In this rare instance were were able to license the digital rights for the Ron Jones set and the first 12 discs will start to appear on itunes, etc. shortly. (The alternates disc 13 and computer games disc 14 will be exclusive to the physical box.)

It's all a great experiment... Hope it works!

Lukas

I hope this experiment is successful for Lukas and FSM, and that future scores can be sold this way. More revenue for our beloved labels, and more physical copies available for those of us that still want to buy things that way :)

I also hope it works. It's time to see people put their money where their mouth was, who said they would buy it if they could pick and choose what episodes and tracks they wanted, or buy it over time, instead of one down payment of ~$150.

I can't complain because you can't download the man's signature.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Savant producer Neil S. Bulk has just posted some handy links at The Trek BBS. These will take you to the individual discs containing the episode scores (not the bonus disc or video game scores). Whether you couldn't afford the box set, only wanted certain scores, or just prefer to proceed in bite-sized installments, this is the perfect opportunity to grab some of the best music written for television (IMHO)!

This is everything that's up at Amazon and iTunes a the moment. Check 'em out! My personal favorite is "The Offspring" (see Disc 10).

Disc 1: The Naked Now / Where No One Has Gone Before / Lonely Among Us

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 2: The Battle / Datalore / 11001001

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 3: When the Bough Breaks / Heart of Glory

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 4: Skin of Evil / We'll Always Have Paris / The Neutral Zone

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 5: Where Silence Has Lease / The Outrageous Okona / Loud as a Whisper

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 6: A Matter of Honor / The Royale / The Icarus Factor / Q Who

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 7: Up the Long Ladder / The Emissary / Shades of Gray

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 8: Evolution / Who Watches the Watchers / Booby Trap / The Price

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 9: The Defector / The High Ground / A Matter of Perspective / The Offspring

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 10: The Offspring / Menage a Troi / Brothers

iTunes

Amazon

Disc 11: Reunion / Final Mission / Data's Day / Devil's Due

iTunes

Disc 12: First Contact / Night Terrors / The Nth Degree / The Drumhead / The Best of Both Worlds

iTunes

Amazon

I admit I mixed up a new c.d. release by a label vs something we'll probably never see on c.d. in the next 20 years. It doesn't mean some of us don't d/l those new releases anyways, but at least you should feel a bit guilty about it (just a bit, as there are far worst things you can do in everyday life than d/l music)

But the thread at FSM is against the entire FFShrine in general and the severe crime of downloading any piece of music that's not 100% legal and released by a label. I just hate that pure as snow choir boy attitude they have over there. I'll never lick the boots of those label producers like they do at the FSM board but my anger is really directed at the studios that don't release the music we want,so in that way I can never be against sites like the ffshrine

After all that firestorm on FSM, FFshrine is still up and running.

I for one think it's GREAT that this music is being made available digitally!

I personally prefer physical CDs but I love the option being out there, and anything that brings some good income to our labels so they can keep releasing great discs is a win all around!

So... how do you guys like the music? Is the set worth it? Pleasant surprises, or pretty much what you expected?

Everyone will differ in opinion. There's a lot of nice scores that he did for TNG, if not nearly all of em'. If you can afford it, if I were you I'd pick it up. You'll probably like it. I mean if you don't like it you can always trade it or sell it.

I think it's cool this is available for those who can't afford the physical set. However, nothing beats having the physical AND signed set. ;)

I can't wait for my physical set. It's going to look good next to The Blue Box.

So... how do you guys like the music? Is the set worth it? Pleasant surprises, or pretty much what you expected?

Generic TV music?

Come now. Nobody's twisting your arm. If this experiment goes well, maybe FSM could put other box sets or normal albums online.

Lossless may beat lossy, but lossy beats nothing at all, or resorting to pirate something that's out of print.

It's nice that this was able to happen. The obvious reason is that Lukas needed something from this project, and making individual scores available can gain him some of that investment back. I hope it's a recurring trend though, that the scores they release can be distributed both digitally and on CD simultaneously. That way those who don't want to bother with a disc, or hell maybe only want certain cues, can do so and save a copy for those who really want the physical copy.

The only problem I can see with that, is that the second they're released, they'll instantly be on the "market." Quick sellouts would probably die down a bit.

It's nice that this was able to happen. The obvious reason is that Lukas needed something from this project, and making individual scores available can gain him some of that investment back. I hope it's a recurring trend though, that the scores they release can be distributed both digitally and on CD simultaneously. That way those who don't want to bother with a disc, or hell maybe only want certain cues, can do so and save a copy for those who really want the physical copy.

Agreed and Lukas has stated that this set hasn't regained the costs back yet at all. Not a lot of people can afford the price tag and the Star Trek TNG music doesn't have a big of a fan base as the Star Trek MOVIE scores do.

he only problem I can see with that, is that the second they're released, they'll instantly be on the "market." Quick sellouts would probably die down a bit.

That's possible but it would give others a chance to grab the physical copy if they want it.

Generic TV music?

Only an idiot who won't bother listening to the music would say something like that...

This is far from generic TV music.

he only problem I can see with that, is that the second they're released, they'll instantly be on the "market." Quick sellouts would probably die down a bit.

That's possible but it would give others a chance to grab the physical copy if they want it.

I will always buy a physical copy of a score that I want.

Generic TV music?

*Scratches head*

You are beyond hope.

You are beyond hope.

Indeed!

I will always buy a physical copy of a score that I want.

As would I and most of us here. This option is for those who do want the sent but can't afford the full price right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

According to Lukas Kendall's latest blog post, this has only sold 1200 copies so far

We planned to make 5,000 units but I was clearly on drugs—we’ve sold around 1,200 so we’re still going through the first 2,000 we manufactured. We’ll probably have to end it there. But of all our projects…I don’t care! Jeff Bond and I practically wrote a book on these scores for the online notes, but I don’t know (or remember) if I ever explained how these fit into my biography: circa 1990–91 the most interesting thing in the world to me was Star Trek: The Next Generation, and specifically the episode scores by Ron Jones. The cliffhanger ending of “The Best of Both Worlds, Part I” was one of Star Trek’s greatest moments; maybe I was just a naïve kid, but it seemed like we (Star Trek fans) honestly had no clue what would happen: there were rumors that Patrick Stewart wanted off the show, so it seemed that Picard might be killed and Riker would become the captain, for good. The end of Act II with the Borg on the viewscreen and the first use of the synth choir for the Borg made me sit up (literally) and pay attention to the score, after which I retroactively discovered Ron Jones’s music to his previous episodes. I remember, as the broadcast for “Part II” approached, I did a night of volunteer work directing the car-parking for a dance studio called The Yard in Chilmark (which is still around). All I remember is that it was an idyllic summer night, with that particularly sweet and nostalgic smell of greenery in the countryside, and my heart was aflutter…at the imminent prospect of finding out what would happen on Star Trek. So I’ve said it before and I will say it again: this is the kind of obsession and mania that passes for normal around here. I had (and still have, in Mom’s basement) off-air videotapes of numerous ST:TNG episodes, and I used to roll them back and forth to hear certain cues over and over again—I can’t count the number of times I watched this scene. I used to fantasize about making a complete box set of Ron’s Star Trek scores, even trying to figure out how many discs it would take—so I’m deeply proud of this project. (We even included Ron’s computer game scores.) By the way, after working on as many Star Trek CDs as I have, I have called for a moratorium on emails with “make it so” and other dialogue quotations in the subject lines. You know, approving the pdf for manufacturing, approving a master—“make it so!”...the thrill is gone!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6782/

I have a funny feeling why it hasn't sold as well as he had hoped was because of the price factor. I have read from quite a few people that they would love to get the set but can't afford the price.

I bet had Lukas done it a bit differently and released the music as volumes then they probably would have sold a bit better. All though I do think that 5,000 units was an overkill for Lukas. If it had been lower say no more than 1,500 units it probably would have been better. Even then the price factor is what's keeping a lot of people away.

Also another thing to consider the Star Trek TV music doesn't have a big of a fan base as the Star Trek FILM score music does.

Regardless, it is a wonderful set, and as someone who watched TNG through similar eyes as Lukas seems to have watched, I am thrilled to own this set. There are always a few episodes of it on my iPod at all times. I am very grateful that Lukas made this happen.

Was never a fan of the series or much of a fan of the Star Trek films either (not a Trekkie, sorry :P). While I love the music for the Star Trek films, I am almost clueless about TNG series music. While I would like to get this set out of curiosity,as Trent pointed out, I don't have the money for it at the moment. I have priorities too. Still have to get the Rozsa set and Bernstein collection while they last.

Sigh. Curse all these labels and their awesome sets :(

Regardless, it is a wonderful set, and as someone who watched TNG through similar eyes as Lukas seems to have watched, I am thrilled to own this set. There are always a few episodes of it on my iPod at all times. I am very grateful that Lukas made this happen.

Indeed, I too am grateful to own the TNG set. In fact I remember I bought it as my own present to myself since it was released shortly after my birthday. I was happy that I was able to get a signed set.

Was never a fan of the series or much of a fan of the Star Trek films either (not a Trekkie, sorry :P).

We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to music. It's our prerogative.

Was never a fan of the series or much of a fan of the Star Trek films either (not a Trekkie, sorry :P).

We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to music. It's our prerogative.

Not a fan of the films. Am I a fan of the film music? Hell ya! ;)

I have a funny feeling why it hasn't sold as well as he had hoped was because of the price factor. I have read from quite a few people that they would love to get the set but can't afford the price.

Price is probably a factor. the other one is just the sheer amount of music.

TNG has some very good music, but I would not want or need all of it.

It's also not by a very popular composer. I mean, I don't know anybody who blind buys Ron Jones releases. Not to say he's bad, but that's what happens when you mostly work in television.

• 1 year later...