Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project

Jay

What do you mean?

Ha ...I'm only kidding man :P

Well, I do think the photo that guy posted is .....well, I just don't know what to say :lol:

But what about the sheep? Will people think of the sheep!

Ha ...Flossy the sheep!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean?

Well, I do think the photo that guy posted is .....well, I just don't know what to say :lol:

It's a reminder not to tell anyone outside of internet message boards your into "film music"

What do you mean?

It's a reminder not to tell anyone outside of internet message boards your into "film music"

Excactly!

We certainly all had our situation when we learned about this lesson ;)

I'm not Ste but I assume he ment the picture of Christian Kühne.

MULTI Yes

I'm never embarrassed to talk about it but that reminds me why perhaps I should be.

I'm not embarrassed to talk about it, but it's so hard to explain when people just don't get it. That's the main reason I don't bother.

Ditto. Only 4-5 friends know about my listening to scores. I think only 2 know of my sick addiction to them! As in, I'd pay $500 for a Danny Elfman box.

I think some you need to stop and realize where you're at before you start making comments on that particular thread at FSM. :lol:

A few of you have posted "geek" pictures on this site too.

I too am never embarrassed to tell others what type of music I enjoy. Some have thought I'm weird that I do listen to it but honestly I don't care. It's what I like, if others got a problem with it, it aint my problem.

oh, and I bet 90% of the people posting in that FSM thread outraged about piracy and file sharing grabbed the Harry Potter 1 recording sessions anyways. Actually I am certain of it .

Harry Potter I recording sessions?!eek2.gif

I guess I don't get out much. :lol:

Shit, I'm the 30 year old that pulls up to a stop light, windows down and blasting "The Asteroid Field"

Screw what other people think.

:lol:

Edit: BTW I have to agree with KM that I think those over on FSM who've said, "I've cried over this" or whatever are just as guilty as downloading something.

I admit I mixed up a new c.d. release by a label vs something we'll probably never see on c.d. in the next 20 years. It doesn't mean some of us don't d/l those new releases anyways, but at least you should feel a bit guilty about it (just a bit, as there are far worst things you can do in everyday life than d/l music)

But the thread at FSM is against the entire FFShrine in general and the severe crime of downloading any piece of music that's not 100% legal and released by a label. I just hate that pure as snow choir boy attitude they have over there. I'll never lick the boots of those label producers like they do at the FSM board but my anger is really directed at the studios that don't release the music we want,so in that way I can never be against sites like the ffshrine

This has probably been brought up a million times now, but still: I don't at all believe, that the people who download those albums with a "I dont have to pay for anything!"-attitude hurt sales figures in any way. Even if the stuff wouldn't be available for download, do you really think that any of those people would actually buy the Ron Jones boxset? Or any other official release by FSM, LLL, Intrade, Varese or whatnot? Those people don't value owning an original CD release... and as sad as that fact is, I don't see how they (being absolutely NOT potential customers) hurt sales in any way.

That being said, my boxset has been shipped 12 days ago (with shipping costing a whopping $26!), so I hope it arrives soon...

But the thread at FSM is against the entire FFShrine in general and the "morality" of downloading any piece of music that's not 100% legal and released by a label.

I also'd like to play devil's advocate and say that a download of a lot of those Intrada/FSM etc. leads to nothing more than a quick press on DELETE after one listen and wouldn't have generated a hard sale, anyway. God knows how often i was forced to buy whole CD's for one 2-minute long cue. Now i cannot get rid of those titles at eBay anymore, because nobody buys CD's for over 5€. Speciality labels should try the iTunes route - it would be a whole new enterprise, but a lot of customers like me would go for individual cues and pay some bucks instead of having thousands of costly but worthless physical product piling up to the ceiling.

Shit, I'm the 30 year old that pulls up to a stop light, windows down and blasting "The Asteroid Field"

Screw what other people think.

I'm the 21-year-old who spends his time wishing he had the guts to do that. :P I'm guilty of sometimes turning down or even pausing my music when I come to a stoplight. I know I'll never see these people again, but still...

Although I must say, the "screw what other people think" attitude can lead to amusing results. One time I was singing a certain Disney song with the windows down on the freeway (no AC) in an intentionally effeminate British accent. (Shut up, traffic occasionally does weird things to my brain!) Didn't think anyone could hear me, but apparently I was wrong, as a truck full of adolescent guys drove past yelling, "F***ing faggot!" The great irony in this was that I was on my way to a date with an exceptionally attractive young lady. I laughed.

EDIT: Just a disclaimer - I don't support the use of that derogatory term for gay people, and would never use it myself, not even jokingly. I only included it in this post because that's exactly what these guys said to me. Just want to make sure we're all on the same page. :lol:

I really don't care who knows I'm into scores. On my US road trip last month, I played lots of scores on my 'ipod DJ' day (starting with the final battle from ID4 - wowweeeee). Yeah, there were a few 'can we have something a bit more upbeat?' comments, so I just chose upbeat stuff. Test Drive from HTTYD was stunning.

But the thread at FSM is against the entire FFShrine in general and the "morality" of downloading any piece of music that's not 100% legal and released by a label.

I also'd like to play devil's advocate and say that a download of a lot of those Intrada/FSM etc. leads to nothing more than a quick press on DELETE after one listen and wouldn't have generated a hard sale, anyway. God knows how often i was forced to buy whole CD's for one 2-minute long cue. Now i cannot get rid of those titles at eBay anymore, because nobody buys CD's for over 5€. Speciality labels should try the iTunes route - it would be a whole new enterprise, but a lot of customers like me would go for individual cues and pay some bucks instead of having thousands of costly but worthless physical product piling up to the ceiling.

I know a fair few here refuse to download anything unofficial, but thankfully, they don't spoil the fun for the rest of us.

Problem with scores is that I really can't buy something until I know it's worth it. Blind-buying is reserved for either seriously impressive samples (Nightwing, Mr Atlas) or franchise releases that I have confidence in (final Lost cds, Doctor Who). Spotify is one perfect way - listen to the whole thing free and legally to decide. If that's not possible, then I'm afraid a temporary illegal download is what it has to be.

Then I remember JNH's Defiance promo was posted for free on the studio's site as part of the 'media kit'. Hard to call that illegal really, although the music was pulled after a while - someone evidently decided maybe that wasn't such a great idea. I still bought the CD though - the missing tracks don't add anything.

Although I must say, the "screw what other people think" attitude can lead to amusing results. One time I was singing a certain Disney song with the windows down on the freeway (no AC) in an intentionally effeminate British accent. (Shut up, traffic occasionally does weird things to my brain!) Didn't think anyone could hear me, but apparently I was wrong, as a truck full of adolescent guys drove past yelling, "F***ing faggot!" The great irony in this was that I was on my way to a date with an exceptionally attractive young lady. I laughed.

One odd duck indeed. ;)

But come on now, which Disney song was it? Someday My Prince Will Come?

But the thread at FSM is against the entire FFShrine in general and the severe crime of downloading any piece of music that's not 100% legal and released by a label. I just hate that pure as snow choir boy attitude they have over there. I'll never lick the boots of those label producers like they do at the FSM board but my anger is really directed at the studios that don't release the music we want,so in that way I can never be against sites like the ffshrine

Exactly! That's why I haven't registered that forum. I rarely frequent it. Vary rarely.

Unbelievable. Some guy at FSM got brainwashed that he can't re- sell his own c.d.'s.So he throws them away instead

What don't you understand about copying music and then reselling (or even giving away) the master disc being against copyright laws?

It's reasons like that I'm horrified that JWfan followed suit to FSM about certain policies. Even the people at ffshrine sound more like normal human beings the majority of FSM members

Wow if someone thinks that he can't resell his CD's and throws them away, then he is one complete moron.

I would rather give my CD's away free to someone I know who will enjoy it, instead of throwing them in a dumpster.

I quit following that thread on FSM. It's turned into one big headache. That thread though has shown a lot of people's true colors.

I would rather give my CD's away free to someone I know who will enjoy it, instead of throwing them in a dumpster.

Actually I don't care that he does that. It's a bit crazy but he explained it's an anti- clutter thing. What disturbs me is the reason he throws them away instead of giving them or selling them is to avoid breaking copyright laws (the result of being brainwashed by people like LeHah and ShiffyM)

Maybe so. I suspect the way he posts on FSM is his internet "persona." There's quite a few people I've met online who are real assholes and then when you meet them in person turn out to be the complete opposite. They feel the internet gives them the freedom and the anonymity to act how they wouldn't in real life.

That LeHah is extremely annoying.

I picture him as someone who uses special software that locates the I.P. addresses of people who post in message boards. And he probably takes screenshots of posts where people openly admit they downloaded something illegally just in case they can be used later as some kind of evidence.

No, I'm pretty much the same asshole in person as I am online.

John C can attest to that. :)

That's a scary thought. Just kidding Mark.

I'm actually the same person in real life as on here. Sweetmeats, you are right though that those that act like ass-hats most of the time most likely don't act like that in person. Again that's most of the time.

I'm sure if they ended up talking to the wrong person like that in real life, a fist would be meeting their face.

Actually I don't care that he does that. It's a bit crazy but he explained it's an anti- clutter thing. What disturbs me is the reason he throws them away instead of giving them or selling them is to avoid breaking copyright laws (the result of being brainwashed by people like LeHah and ShiffyM)

The FSM Boards has become quite a scary place for many reasons. I've never been a very active member of their boards, but I think I'll never post again down there. I'll continue to support Lukas by buying his CDs and being a FSM Online subscriber, but I'm done with their boards.

• 1 month later...

Wow, my wonderful wife bought me the ST:TNG Ron Jones Project boxed set for my birthday! I haven't had a chance to listen to a note yet, but I am happy that she bought this for me as I am too cheap to spend that much on myself.

Those of you that got this, what did you end up doing about your digital versions of the scores? Did you arrange them by disc or episode?

I just made a playlist for each episode and put them all in a folder, rather than mess with the tags on the files.

I've been taking my time listening to them, an episode or two at a time. It's cool how Jones came up with new motifs for every episode. They're like mini film scores.

I don't have this set (cannot justify it financially at this time), but I I had, I would dispense with the concept of reflecting the physical CDs when converted to MP3 folders, and I would simply tag, number etc. based purely on episodes.

I would also integrate The Best Of Both Worlds GNP cues into the appropriate episode MP3 Album.

I don't view the physical CD as being relevent to how the music should be organized in the digital realm, with the exception of having an OST included with a Complete / Expanded Release (e.g. Trek III, Trek V, Alien, Alien Resurrection, Batman Returns).