The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon's mistake was publishing a tracklist before legal kinks for the soundtrack were worked out and the CDs were pressed...and everyone else's faults for running to Amazon for official info.

The voice of reason has spoken.

Well then

ITS ONE MONTH for the release of the CD and there are not Pressed CDs yet?

Great, i think it will arrive here in June :lol:

a good cd plant can run the entire block of Indy 4 cd's in a day.

No big deal.

the increasing cost of oil means that cd prices are going to end up doubling or tripling this summer in prices.

Amazon increased Indy 4 from 9.99 to 29.97 ;)

btw, Entertainment Weekly picked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to rule the summer boxoffice.

oh Im sure Heath Ledger will be overly praised for his work.

every review will be a knee jerk reaction instead of an honest appraisal of his performance

Joe, how is it possible to give an "honest" assessment of his performance? It would be impossible not to situate it amongst the media attention his death received. No matter how one evaluated his performance, that evluation will be affected by the events in January.

Ted

If Dark Knight is anything thing like the first film they wont be getting my money.

In regards to KOTCS, perhaps Concord is aware of past leaks and has decided to keep this under wraps as long as possible.

Joe, how is it possible to give an "honest" assessment of his performance? It would be impossible not to situate it amongst the media attention his death received. No matter how one evaluated his performance, that evluation will be affected by the events in January.

Ted

no it shouldn't have to be. He went from being an actor with a mediocre to good acting record to one overly praised now.

perhaps reviewers just need to be aware that they may do that.

I think that The Dark Knight might have (if the performance is as interesting as it would seem from the promotional material) solidified him with the great reputation he was given upon his death. Speaking for myself, I don't recall being wowed by any of his earlier performances (not a Brokeback Mountain fan), but I was overwhelmed with sadness when hearing about his death. A big part of that was anticipation of greatness The Dark Knight...but maybe there was something more. I'll never know.

Everyone thought his performance was/was going to be phenomenal before he even died. I'm one of them. He was excellent in I'm Not There as well, which is what made me anticipate The Dark Knight even more. His older work wasn't anything special. Only recently has his work been great, which is sad since he died at the top of his game.

I think that The Dark Knight might have (if the performance is as interesting as it would seem from the promotional material) solidified him with the great reputation he was given upon his death. Speaking for myself, I don't recall being wowed by any of his earlier performances (not a Brokeback Mountain fan), but I was overwhelmed with sadness when hearing about his death. A big part of that was anticipation of greatness The Dark Knight...but maybe there was something more. I'll never know.

I would have to agree. From what I've seen his work as The Joker may have been his best in all honesty, which when you think about it is a fitting end to his career (the Terry Gilliam film not withstanding because it wasn't finished).

I'm betting Indy will make a lot of money. I don't know if it will be number one for the year, but it will probably be successful financially (despite the strange lack of marketing).

Initially, I didn't see Indy becoming a highest grosser....but the closer we get, the more excited everyone seems. Maybe. I really don't know how ingrained Indy nostalgia is worldwide (though it is very solid here).

I honestly think what happened with Ledger is what'll push it over the top. What happened was certainly a horrible tragedy, but it's also great publicity.

I'm betting Indy will make a lot of money. I don't know if it will be number one for the year, but it will probably be successful financially (despite the strange lack of marketing).

I guess you don't use the internet then. The viral marketing has been out of control for TDK and has already had a teaser and a full trailer released with another coming in about a week or two. Yet Indiana Jones is released in a month and there's barely been any promotion.

And don't give me that its Indy there doesn't need to be promotion, because Batman is even more known than Dr. Jones.

I think Rabbit is talking entirely about Indy in that quote laughingbat.

I would have to agree. From what I've seen his work as The Joker may have been his best in all honesty, which when you think about it is a fitting end to his career (the Terry Gilliam film not withstanding because it wasn't finished).

The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus will be continued. They came up with a clever idea of using multiple actors for different parts of the film. The parts Ledger filmed will still be used, and Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, and Jude Law will also play the same character.

I guess you don't use the internet then. The viral marketing has been out of control for TDK and has already had a teaser and a full trailer released with another coming in about a week or two. Yet Indiana Jones is released in a month and there's barely been any promotion.

I was talking about Indy, so thanks for backing my statement.

EDIT: Savas beat me to it.

I kinda remember the lack of marketting was blamed for the failiure of A.I. back in 2001. It's a bit dangerous to undermarket Indy 4

No it's not. Indiana Jones is a brand name. The kind of marketing that's required to get people in the theaters on opening weekend is not a three month campaign, but a May blitz. And that's just what we'll see. Once the new trailer hits, it'll be an Indy firestorm right up until release. And it will work.

Ted

I kinda remember the lack of marketting was blamed for the failiure of A.I. back in 2001. It's a bit dangerous to undermarket Indy 4

That's interesting. I kind of sort of vividly remember the reason I never saw it, which had nothing to do with marketing -- everyone who saw it said it sucked bawllls!!

You are welcome to. That's the fun of it.

I think that A.I.'s campaign was good. Certainly got a lot of interest. The fact is, audiences didn't connect. Can't be blamed on the ad campaign. And I don't think Indy will be particularly harmed by the slow campaign. It's going purely on nostalgia. You either have it or you don't.

I agree Morlock. AI had a lot of interesting things going on in the campaign, and it's kind of understandable that they didn't really resonate with the general public. I mean, I don't think the trailer had a single explosion. ;)

Indy will be just fine, it doesn't need an all out media blitz. Just get the date out there and people will show up.

The trailer for A.I. --featuring the choral humming of the Blue Fairy theme-- is a beautiful trailer. It's a shame it wasn't included on the DVD.

Ted

The trailer for A.I. --featuring the choral humming of the Blue Fairy theme-- is a beautiful trailer. It's a shame it wasn't included on the DVD.

Ted

it on Youtube? It almost seems legendary now

It's not for the masses. But it's a brilliant film.

You realize if I see it and you are wrong I'm going start preaching SW prequel greatness to everyone.

How can it be wrong to state a preference? But by all means go ahead, it would be quite humorous.

Ted

it on Youtube? It almost seems legendary now

?

thats complete bull KM, it had tons of marketing, it just was a terrible film, and the marketing couldn't pigeonhole the movie.

People couldn't connect and it was a boxoffice disaster in the US

I'm glad they haven't overused the "Damn, I thought that was closer!" I remember in Bourne Ultimatum, they had the "if you were in your office, we would be having this conversation face to face," in just about every trailer, it got annoying when I finally saw the film.

The failure was in large part the result of poor word of mouth, I believe. The film had a respectable, if unspectacular, opening weekend, but it never recovered from the precipitate drop-off in attendance.

Thanks for posting this, TGE! I love this line:

Freeman: Ahh, the fly. I had the best review of my career from Pauline Kael in The New Yorker about the fly. She said, "There is an actor with remarkable devotion to duty."

Ted

The failure was in large part the result of poor word of mouth, I believe. The film had a respectable, if unspectacular, opening weekend, but it never recovered from the precipitate drop-off in attendance.

it opened @ 29.3 million dollars dropped 52% the next week, and 61% the next.

click

small preview of 'the complere making of indiana jones' book by JW Rinzler

No spoilers, just interesing stuff from raiders.

"The original concept for Toht (Nazi in black leather trench coat) was that he had a machine gun for an arm"

Really glad they dropped that.

Does this M&M Indiana Jones tie-in game contain the first sample of a Crystal Skull theme?

http://www.m-ms.com/us/indianajones/home.jsp

Probably not, but hey....

It's probably THAT theme performed - as it was intended - on Continuum Fingerboard or whatever was the name... :(