The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

I just got back from a screening (and a damn good time with some friends, with dinner and everything), and let me tell you something: all the hype that this movie has been getting for months, it lives up to every single last bit of it.

The casting is almost uniformly perfect, great performances. I say almost because I didn't quite get into the performance of Chekov, I was pining for Walter Koening a little bit. But for everyone else: perfect. Urban gets the top nod for me, McCoy's my favorite character and Urban has him pinned down perfectly. Tons of great lines, many echos of classic Trek lines and I daresay some new ones as well. Now, I'll be the first to admit this film is pretty thin on plot. But in the end the plot is secondary, this is all about the characters, and in that regard it's nothing less than a masterstroke.

Visually, the movie is gorgeous. I cannot say this loud enough: NATURAL COLORS. No washed out metallic look, no green, no blue, no yellow, no grading gone mad, just wonderful sumptuious color! All DPs in the world take note. The effects are amazing. And while there was certainly plenty of modern quick cutting close up stuff, there are also some very majestic and beautiful wide shots, even in action sequences. The Enterprise gets a wonderful introduction.

Now, there's one thing that I'll admit to being a tad disappointed with: the score. I know how long I've hyped up how much I've been looking forward to it, so that might be part of it. I'll be picking up the CD tomorrow and I'll certainly be seeing the movie again in the theater (maybe more than once) so there's plenty of time to come around. Is it effective? Certainly. Good? Yeah. But iconic? I'm thinking not, at least right now.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that attendance at our showing was pretty light too, maybe a half full theater. But the parking lot was fairly full when we got there, I'm thinking a lot of people probably went to the early evening showings.

The midnight showing was quite full, it was at the cinema's biggest screen, and was probably three-quarters full, about the same as KOTCS but nowhere near the prequel midnight shows. But nevertheless, encouraging seeing as the UK doesn't usually get into the spirit of such things unless it's totally massive.

Oh man. MAN!!! We freaking loved the film. Our showing was only half full, because there were at least 3 showings tonight at this theatre, and two at another across town. I did see someone with a Starfleet shirt, and people laughed and clapped and hung around and geeked out afterward so it was still kind of fun. Not to mention we had sushi and sake bombs beforehand...

I don't want to go overboard with praise for it, but it's kind of hard not to right now. I echo most of what Joey, John Crichton and Charlie Brigden said...yes, it is really all about the characters and thank God for that! I felt they were spot on, believeable and loved the background we got on them. Uhura and Spock....come on how sexy is that?! Spock just owned the house...I really felt for him and thought the acting by Zach Quinto was great.

What else...the movie was well paced, actually it sped by...it never seemed draggy. I thought the concept of the movie was very well done on all counts...the almost comical over-the-topness to everything - the bravado, the close shaves, the high emotions, the loud explosions/warps/punches, the brassy score - somehow it all works together, it all fits. The Enterprise is an absolute wonder to behold....many truly breathtaking shots that make it feel so real. And the Romulan ship is fierce!

About the score: I like it, a lot. What I totally love - is it is "Giacchino", a la Roar/Cloverfield etc., it is easily recognized as his style which is a fact I appreciate. It is well written. Yes, it gets a bit repetitive (it does rely on basically one main theme which is quite simple), but it is good big full orchestral scoring that isn't afraid to make a statement. Again, I feel the score works in and with the film - it is brassy, direct and over the top. In fact, I was struck that it reminded me at times of David Arnold's Independence Day in style. I am curious to hear the CD, I am afraid some of the best stuff might've been left off reading what others have said. Because the last 20 min or so are quite good indeed, loved the End Credits.

EDIT: Did anyone catch the Cloverfield reference?? When Kirk first sees Uhura

at the bar - she orders a bunch of drinks, and the last thing she orders is Slusho!!

Head still spinning...

Was eagerly anticipating this for quite some time even though I had my doubts. Moderately spoiled by early reviews and kept the Ebert one in mind though can't say I was really stoked going in - was in one of my bleh meh moods.

Caught the 12:30AM packed house screening on IMAX and if my giddiness several instances during the film is any indication, simply put this new incarnation is such a rollicking and downright fun piece of entertainment. Thoroughly enjoyed it and was all worked up afterwards which doesn't happen too often for me.

Watched Trek IV, V, VI, and Nemesis in their first run and this latest pretty much equals the entertainment factor of TVH along with the some of the oh shit thrills of seeing TUC in the cinema. The qualities that I loved from the films specifically the first six was that stately elegance; that cheekiness and sometime absurdity; and moments of almost high opera that made it distinctly unStar Wars-ian. Also due to possessing the aforementioned their respective scores I felt had the harder task (compared to JW and his work on the original trilogy) in stepping up to deliver musically which for the most part they did. And while I do recognize elements of Star Wars in the new Trek flick, it doesn't detract from the film and I now understand what Abrams and Co. were going for and succeeded in doing. Yes major plot contrivances were blatantly neat and convenient; and yes did it mythologize to comic book level proportions the origins of our heroes but to have cinematic Trek no longer constrained by its devices and formula and replaced by something more in keeping with the traditions of the great summer blockbuster, we have something albeit lacking in originality, that is current, possessing a warmth, energy, and sheer excitement not commonly attributed to the franchise. It is breathless and frenetic but unlike the run-o-the-mill dreck that passes for summer fare nowadays. It wasn't pandering nor was I treated to an assault on the senses despite its ace vfx (the mix wasn't too shabby either). It had story and character - the latter in spades. Star Trek in modern trappings delivering genuine first rate family entertainment, who'd a thunk... I recall Kirk's last line to Star Trek II - that's how I feel after watching this one.

Listened to Giacchino's score last week and didn't think much of it but suffice to say it was an effective component in the movie. Dang is that main theme catchy and the Nero bits exceeded my expectations. Guess I needed some context but looks like I'll be picking up the CD. Can't wait to see this sucker again and give the CD a proper go through.

I just want to know, when is anyone going to come up with a NEW series that has resonance without needing an existing fanbase?

Firefly?

But is Firefly remake worthy? I have never seen it, but when I was a kid, everybody knew Star Trek. Maybe it is because everything new is niche. I wonder what happens when all of us 80's kids die.

I graze read everyones reviews, trying not to hit any spoilers, but it sounds like this movie will be good! Glad everyone enjoyed it so much. And I think Joey giving it a "terrific" just raised my expectations, perhaps too much. ;)

I want to go Sunday to the Imax in LR and see it, but I am tempted to see it again today. Yes Blume, I thinks its a terrific movie. I do fear that ultimately that this is still a movie for the Star Trek fans and that its boxoffice may reflex that.

I've got to find a model of the ship.

OH and while someone else might have said this already, I know I'm ready to say it.

Bring on STAR TREK II.

Actually Joey, you might be surprised, (I myself am shocked!):

Over on HSX our favourite poster notfabio has posted the numbers for his theatre chain (only one chain, not all):

Trek - 1.7

He predicts this will equate to approximatley 7+ million when the rest of the theatres are added. Below are past notfabio numbers:

Iron Man - 1.6

Wolverine - 1.2

Hancock - 1.6

Dark Knight - 4.5

That is much more impressive than I thought it would be. That's...waaaay beyond my predictions.

I've seen the Toy of the new Enterprise in Target. I think it runs $29.99 and the box feels like there's nothing in there, pretty lightweight.

I grabbed mine in Toys R Us, although I'm currently in the middle of repainting it, as it's very basic looking. I guess I was expecting something like the Art Asylum ships.

I've got to find a model of the ship.

Speaking of that, I finally got the new Hallmark catalogue. The Klingon cruiser looks very nice.

Somewhere in my garage, I've got unpainted unbuilt models of the 1701-D, the -A, and the original, plus the Millennium Falcon, and I've got an unbuilt fiber optic star destroyer in my bedroom. I just haven't found myself bored enough to build any of them.

I've got a half assembled & painted USS Excelsior somewhere in my mom's garage as well as the USS Eneterprise from ST IV.

I have a huge fiber optic USS Enterprise D that I have yet to even begin. I bought the damn thing about 13 years ago..... ;)

When I bought them I spent about a week or two just looking for the damn paint colors they required.

The instructions for the fiber optic ISD recommend painting the inside flat black, so the light doesn't bleed through thin plastic. I never had the heart to buy that much flat black, and somehow I think spray painting it can only end in disaster. I also don't have any places left to display completed models anymore.

EDIT: Did anyone catch the Cloverfield reference?? When Kirk first sees Uhura

at the bar - she orders a bunch of drinks, and the last thing she orders is Slusho!!

I believe that word originally was used in an episode of Alias, so it's a long-running inside joke used by JJ Abrams.

Yeah, Slusho is a long running Abrams joke. I was more excited that a Cardassian drink got mentioned, DS9 being my favorite Trek series and all.

Another thing I forgot to mention last night (reading it again I'm shocked I was that coherent): the time travel element works perfectly, and the risks Abrams and co. take in creating a new continuity are both brave and in the end brilliant IMO, I'm looking forward to seeing where it leads. There's three big ones: one we knew about-

Kirk's father is killed at the start of the movie while Kirk is being born

, and the two big shockers-

Spock and Uhura are in a romantic relationship

and

Nero does destroy Vulcan, and Amanda (Spock's mother) is killed. Afterward it's estimated that there are only about 10,000 Vulcan survivors.

On the engine room controversy, from the blog of Star Trek conceptual designer John Eaves:

surprisingly this film had no budget,,, they were given basically what the older movies got, without the resources of having stock sets and walls to use as a base. Creatively they had a lot of improvising to do and the use of breweries and power plants for ship interiors worked out great for what they didn’t have to work with!!!

Well Oldsmith from FSM saw the film yesterday. He was in the same boat as I am regarding this new film since he's a long time Trekkie too (older than me in fact). He said he really enjoyed it and it lived up to the hype and recommended I go see it since him and I have been friends for a few years so he weighed his thoughts to me about it. I talked to my dad and we will go next weekend to see it. All though, I may convince him to go see it tomorrow...but he may just want to rest all day tomorrow.

I stand by my prediction that the movie will have a $100 million+ opening weekend and top out at or near $300 million domestically.

I have seen it. I quite liked it, but wasn't overwhelmed. The franchise isn't my cup of tea, I don't care that much for the plot, the characters and I didn't catch most of the references to the series and motion pictures. I liked Pine as Kirk, though. He has charisma and good vis comica. There is a nice chemistry between the characters, I especially liked the one between Kirk and McCoy (both Pine and Urban seemed to have had lots of fun playing the parts).

It was nice to see Winona on screen again, my only concern is that she lookedreally old and thin, thus not really attractive. I hope that was all a make-up ;)

I didn't really like Bana's Nero. Very unspectacular for a villain.

F/X were good. They didn't suppress the movie, which is a good thing.

Music was so so. I didn't find listening to it with the picture much better than it's on the album. There were, however, couple of nice cues that are missing. Some of them are better than the released ones. The Hella Bar Talk sounds much better compared to the album version - the percussion was vastly improved (or it was better mixed, I don't know).

I believe some of the box office trackers were estimating 60 million for the weekend, which would be the highest opening for a Trek film.

I can beleive i'm really eagerly awaiting to watch a ST movie, but thanks to your positive reviews here i am.

I mean, i wanted to see it, but now i CAN'T WAIT! ;)

I stand by my prediction that the movie will have a $100 million+ opening weekend and top out at or near $300 million domestically.

I'll be doing my part tonight. Looking forward to it after all the glowing reviews here. (I mean, come on! Joe!! I don't even recognize his posts! Glad you enjoyed it.)

Well, I couldn't help it...I went and saw it again this afternoon. Let's say I'm doing my part to make sure this is a box office blowout. ;)

I enjoyed the score a lot more the second time around. It's much more intimate than previous ones, which fits because this movie is so centrally focused on the characters despite all the huge events happening around them. And while certainly retaining Giacchino's signature style it seems to be channeling both Goldsmith and Horner. The main theme especially sounds like a meld of those two. And I love the arrangement of the original Courage theme in the end credits.

I noticed that Neil was preety easy to spot on the big screen.

Yeah, he's right in the thick of things. Who'd he sleep with?

;) - Labor of Love (Michael Giacchino, Star Trek)

Short review:

I didn't like it. I guess I am too attached to the original cast to accept different actors taking over these beloved characters. It just did not work for me. Also, the interior of the ship was too far different. The score would have been better if Gia at least developed the theme a little more. It got a little grating to hear those 4 measures so often.

Well, that's it. I liked Nemesis. This, I could have not bothered with.

Yeah, Slusho is a long running Abrams joke. I was more excited that a Cardassian drink got mentioned, DS9 being my favorite Trek series and all.

Cool referrence, but I don't think it makes any sense in terms of the overall Star Trek universe. Aren't the Cardassians much too distant from Earth for humans to have encountered them at this stage of their history?

Yes, that is a question only a true nerd would even ask.

For the record, I won't care if they make that change to the series. I'd loooooove to see some Cardassians done Abrams-style and kicking ass in one of the sequels.

It was nice to see Winona on screen again, my only concern is that she lookedreally old and thin, thus not really attractive. I hope that was all a make-up ;)

A scene was filmed but deleted in which she (I think) gives birth to Spock, or does something when he is an infant. So yes, that was definitely old-age makeup. Very good old-age makeup, in fact.

Also, the interior of the ship was too far different.

That's one of the elements that is going to throw off the most Trekkies. Part of me hates it, but if I'd never seen the original series or any of its sequels or any of the other movies, I'd have loved those lower-deck sets. As is, I'm torn.

But I do love the new bridge. It's sooooo busy, and in a good way. Also, the new viewscreen is awesome. I love how it's literally a window onto the exterior; the way you can see the edge of the saucer section as you look out of it gives so much depth and reality to the effects. That's a great update.

I can't wait for the DVD to hear some of the thought processes behind all this stuff.

Yes, there's a deleted scene of Spock's birth. The other big one I know of is Nero escaping imprisonment from Rura Penthe, which went a long way to explain why he did nothing for 25 years.

As for a sequel, I'd bet a vital organ that it'll be a Klingon movie.

Yes, there's a deleted scene of Spock's birth. The other big one I know of is Nero escaping imprisonment from Rura Penthe, which went a long way to explain why he did nothing for 25 years.

As for a sequel, I'd bet a vital organ that it'll be a Klingon movie.

Which begs the question of how the heck the Klingons managed to capture Nero since his ship is nigh indestructible in that time period. Certainly his crew would not just sit around for 25 years and not threaten to blow the Klingons to bits if Nero is not returned.

On the engine room controversy, from the blog of Star Trek conceptual designer John Eaves:
surprisingly this film had no budget,,, they were given basically what the older movies got, without the resources of having stock sets and walls to use as a base. Creatively they had a lot of improvising to do and the use of breweries and power plants for ship interiors worked out great for what they didn’t have to work with!!!

thats bullshit the movie had a 150+ million dollar budget, and they came up with shit.

thats the only flaw I can really b&m about.

One thing I'm pretty sure of having seen the film is that a couple moments I really loved in the film got left off the cd--including the actual main titles cue! I can understand why, as almost the exact same treatment of the material gets reprised just two tracks later in "Enterprising Young Men". But in the film, the way the music leads off from the end of "Labor of Love" into the main title is an awesome moment. Also, I think Giacchino uses the four note chime that opens the Courage theme a bit more often throughout the film than is represented on the CD; this does give the appearance of the Courage theme over the end credits a bit more context and buildup (although it's still nothing like what David Arnold did with the Bond theme in Casino Royale).

Btw, I second whoever said he found the album mix too dry; I've been listening to the score applying a bit of reverb and compressor onto iTunes and I find it really makes a difference to me...

Special effects were great.

Villain, a total waste, with motivation that seems vaguely familiar in the Trek world. His performance was lazy, and his dialogue sounded like it was written by a ten year-old. I almost laughed when he addressed Captain Pike with, "Hello, Christopher."

But Pine was solid, as was Quinto, so heck it was okay.

But in the film, the way the music leads off from the end of "Labor of Love" into the main title is an awesome moment.

That's not on the CD?!? Motherf---ers!

What a terrible decision.

I'm gathering there's a lot of terrible decisions on this CD. Unless we get a *cough**sneeze* my DVD ripper's going to be busy when it comes out.

Villain, a total waste, with motivation that seems vaguely familiar in the Trek world. His performance was lazy, and his dialogue sounded like it was written by a ten year-old. I almost laughed when he addressed Captain Pike with, "Hello, Christopher."

I agree to extent that Nero was not a great villain but that's because he was written that way. But then again I'm also glad he wasn't another one of those silly, monologuing, Shakespeare and Melhville quoting characters from the earlier films either. Khan is a great villain but he's kind of over the top as well.

Nero isn't a great villain, in the classic sense of that phrase ... but so what? How many genuinely great villains are there? Not that many. There are plenty of great movies, and legions of good ones, that get along just fine without having great villains.

As for the notion that Bana is lazy in the role, well, that's a lazy opinion, in my book. Check out the scene in which Bana is lying on a slab, looking up at the camera, waiting for the signal he knows he's about to receive telling him that the 25-year wait for Spock to appear is over. Bana is projecting so many different emotions during that moment that it's one of THE standout scenes in the movie for me. Sure, he gets few such moments, but that's not Bana's fault.

I wasn't expecting great things from the trailers, but these positive reviews have lifted my expectations. I hope I can see this soon!