The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

I could've done without the scene in Uhura's quarters at the academy, as that's really the biggest thing keeping it from being a pretty much family-oriented affair in line with the majority of the other films (a couple of intense moments aside). Felt kinda like a cheap ploy to have some trailer shots to get the fourteen-year-old boys that would've seen the movie anyway.

I don't know anything about Star Trek, but isn't Kirk like the James Bond of the universe? I saw it as part of his character.

Sort of--he is a womanizer. But we already knew that from other scenes in the film, and it had been established in previous continuity anyway without scenes like this. The point was made already without this scene.

Something else I remembered, I really liked the scoring of Kirk driving up on his bike--specifically the shots from the trailer, before he

reports to Pike

. Very nice vibe. I'm glad it's on the CD.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the film! Somehow they managed to honor canon

whilst obliterating it at the same time

. :lol:

Anyone still think it won't make $100 million?

And those who are less interested in the time travel logic would be wise not to tell others how best to experience the film. :lol:

Oh of course, but not everyone is like you and me. Sadly there are some who would let the flaws in unproven science ie, logic get in the way of what is essentially a rip-roaring adventure.

One questionable thing I did think about a bit during the film though is this: Why was the instrument which blocked the Enterprise's warp ability located on the drill platform thingy? Surely such a tactically important piece of kit would be better situated inside the defenses of the main Romulan ship and not located precariously on some external and extremely vulnerable piece of drilling equipment??? That's my only niggle, but it doesn't bother me really.

Also, are the Vulcan and Romulan species related? I only ask because the ears made them look quite alike.

If I remember correctly, Romulans are supposed to be an offshoot of Vulcans, long lost cousins.

If I let adherence to proper science get in the way of my enjoyment of Star Trek, I'd probably hate most of it. Same with Star Wars. It's great space opera, not a documentary.

One questionable thing I did think about a bit during the film though is this: Why was the instrument which blocked the Enterprise's warp ability located on the drill platform thingy? Surely such a tactical important piece of kit would be better situated inside the defenses of the main Romulan ship and not located precariously on some external and extremely vulnerable piece of drilling equipment??? That's my only niggle, but it doesn't bother me really.

it' for the transporters. I suppose it has to "emit" from here to jam the planet surface

Yes, they're related.

I haven't seen the movie yet, and reading all of these spoilers makes me very, very uneasy about this whole alternate universe concept. It almost makes me feel like this movie is a totally worthless venture, because it's not the "real" Kirk or "real" Spock that I'd be paying to go see.

Welcome to quantum mechanics. :lol:

Shouldn't time travel be impossible from the standpoint that you can't create or destroy matter without unleashing a tremendous amount of energy? If you travel back in time and create a situation where you and your younger self co-exist, you have created matter in that universe, and destroyed it in the previous one.

It's not destruction and creation of matter/energy, but relocation. Because it's the same universe, not a different one.

Never mind the paradox caused by encountering your younger self, a la Back to the Future, Part II with two Docs on the street corner, two Jennifers fainting, or two Deloreans at all (since it stays in the tunnel from 1885 to 1955).

Encountering your younger self is not a paradox. A paradox only arises when your actions in the past have the effect or preventing you from going there in the first place.

I realize that Star Trek already has the creation and destruction of matter by way of its transporters and replicators, and E=mc^2 would provide the energy needed to create the rift in the space-time continuum in the first place.

Transporters also relocate matter, from what I understand. Replicators are more interesting, but ultimately they're energy-to-matter converters, which basically should be ok.

Great movie. Enjoyed it. Can't wait for Star Trek II. Spock dies at the end of that one. Oops. Spoilt it now.

One questionable thing I did think about a bit during the film though is this: Why was the instrument which blocked the Enterprise's warp ability located on the drill platform thingy? Surely such a tactical important piece of kit would be better situated inside the defenses of the main Romulan ship and not located precariously on some external and extremely vulnerable piece of drilling equipment??? That's my only niggle, but it doesn't bother me really.

it' for the transporters. I suppose it has to "emit" from here to jam the planet surface

Hmm, that's actually quite an acceptable explanation KM, cheers. Its enough for me at least! Oh and TRANSPORTERS is what I meant :lol:

Yes, they're related.

Then I can only assume the relation is a distant one, since the open display of emotion by the Romulans isn't exactly in keeping with that of their distant cousins.

My God, I can't believe I'm discussing Star Trek to such an extent. This movie will ruin me!

Has anyone gotten the CD figured out yet? The first several cues are pretty easy to figure out, but once you get past "Nero Sighted," I'm not so sure.

"Star Trek" is the Paramount logo music.

"Nailin' The Kelvin" scores the prologue.

"Labor Of Love" scores the scene

when Kirk is born.

"Hella Bar Talk" scores the bar scene.

"Run And Shoot Offense" scores the scene

when Kirk and Spock are on Nero's ship.

"Nero Death Experience" scores the scene

when Nero dies.

"Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" scores the scene

when Kirk and Sulu are fighting on the drill.

"To Boldly Go" and "End Credits" are self-explanatory.

I'm not sure about the others.

Possibly wrong, but I think:

'Enterprising Young Men' scores the introduction of the Enterprise (and possibly the main title, depending on whether it's tracked or not)

'Back From Black' is the escape from the singularity

'That New Car Smell' is the wrap-up, although the ending doesn't appear

I think 'Nero Sighted' is when they come out of warp at Vulcan and the ensuing hassle

'Nero Death Experience' is the rescue of Captain Pike (and ends with that scene, so I don't think it includes Nero's death, I think that's 'Nero Fiddles...'

"Star Trek" is the Paramount logo music.

"Nailin' The Kelvin" scores the prologue.

"Labor Of Love" scores the scene

when Kirk is born.

"Hella Bar Talk" scores the bar scene.

"Run And Shoot Offense" scores the scene

when Kirk and Spock are on Nero's ship.

"Nero Death Experience" scores the scene

when Nero dies.

"To Boldly Go" and "End Credits" are self-explanatory.

I'm not sure about the others.

So are we looking at something like:

1. Star Trek

2. Nailin’ the Kelvin

3. Labor of Love

4. Hella Bar Talk

5. Enterprising Young Men

6. Nero Sighted

11. Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns

7. Nice To Meld You (**still not sure about where this one goes...**)

9. Does It Still McFly?

8. Run and Shoot Offense

10. Nero Death Experience

12. Back From Black (

the black hole escape, I'm guessing

)

13. That New Car Smell

14. To Boldly Go

15. End Credits

Then I can only assume the relation is a distant one, since the open display of emotion by the Romulans isn't exactly in keeping with that of their distant cousins.

That's what caused the separation. After civil wars (if memory served), part of the population (the later Vulcans) chose to suppress their emotions in favour of logic to stop the killing, while the Romulans stuck to emotions. Which explains the overall pacifist attitude of the Vulcans versus the war-hungry Romulans.

'Enterprising Young Men' scores the introduction of the Enterprise (and possibly the main title, depending on whether it's tracked or not)

Yeah. Giacchino didn't have time to write anything new for the title, so this cue was edited down for it. I have that edit if anyone is interested.

Yeah. Giacchino didn't have time to write anything new for the title, so this cue was edited down for it. I have that edit if anyone is interested.

I'm interested :)

What? No.

That definitely scored the scene where the Narada gets sucked into the black hole. Hence "Narada Burns".

The film alternate was awesome.

Nero Death Experience is

when the Jellyfish is flying around the Narada, ultimately leading to where it crashes. This is before nero dies

That was Olsen

I just got back from seeing the movie. It was a very entertaining summer flick. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Giacchino's score worked much better in the film than it does on the CD. Some good cues where left off

Question for you trek nerds: How come in Star Trek 4, they were able to go back to the 1980's, grab the whales, and then return to their exact time period that they came from...... but in this movie they make it seem like it would be impossible for Spock to return to his original timeline. I mean, if he could, he could just go back to it and kill Nero before he ever gets sucked into the black hole right?

Right but why can't he do whatever they did in Star Trek 4 to go back to their time, in this movie?

Well, I think if he did go to the future it would be the new timeline's future, though. I don't think there's a way for him to get back to his original

But then why did they go to the correct future timeline in Star Trek 4 is my question

... unless it WAS a different timeline, it was just close enough that it seemed the same..... I may have just answered my own question

... unless it WAS a different timeline, it was just close enough that it seemed the same..... I may have just answered my own question

This. The new future was almost identical, so yay for them. Same thing in "First Contact." The TNG crew goes back to the future, but it's technically a different future, one in which they helped launch the Phoenix and left some Borg frozen in the Arctic Circle.

I always think of it like in BTTF2, when they're in the alternate 1985 and the Doc explains that they can't just go back to 2015 to stop old Biff because if they left from the alternate 1985, they'd just end up in an alternate 2015. They're stuck on the timeline they're in.

So yeah, Spock Prime is trapped in the new timeline - he can never go home. Even if he tried sling-shotting around the sun, he'd just end up in the future of the timeline he's currently in - he can't skip back over to the original.

All though I haven't seen the movie it's suggested this takes place in an alternate timeline and thus the timeline we know, from which future Spock is from is continuing to go on just as it always has.

Remember the TNG episode "Parallels"? After Worf passed through a quantum fisher via shuttle craft the field around him would intensify every time Geordie came near him because of Geordie's visor and pushed Worf into another reality. Data also said during the episode that everything that can happen does happen in another quantum reality. So the timeline that Nero and Spock went through was part of another parallel reality. So that's probably why future Spock and Nero couldn't return to their own reality/future.

Also it's possible that other realities can co-exist into one as Parallels showed us that. Once that fisher became destabilized other Enterprise-D's emerged into the one that Worf was in.

That's just a possible explanation.

Correct, I was somewhat joking but old Spock would have to figure out how to get back to his own timeline.

Old Spock will find a "logical" way to restore his ...you know.

They shared a kiss on the original TV series but it was forced upon them by the villian.

I was about to say something like that but couldn't quite remember if it was a forceful kiss or not. If memory serves I think there had always been hints that Uhura had a thing for Spock in TOS.

Kirk and Uhura kissed in the episode Plato's Stepchildren.

first ever interracial kiss, it was shocking, Not really.

They shared a kiss on the original TV series but it was forced upon them by the villian.

I was about to say something like that but couldn't quite remember if it was a forceful kiss or not. If memory serves I think there had always been hints that Uhura had a thing for Spock in TOS.

Yeah, I seem to recall Uhura singing and dancing and flirting with Spock in one of the episodes.

Meh. It would work, but just based on the characters, I'm more interested in seeing them grow to be good friends that respect each other both as people and as accomplished officers. I'm cool with the Spock and Uhura thing.

Question for you trek nerds: How come in Star Trek 4, they were able to go back to the 1980's, grab the whales, and then return to their exact time period that they came from...... but in this movie they make it seem like it would be impossible for Spock to return to his original timeline. I mean, if he could, he could just go back to it and kill Nero before he ever gets sucked into the black hole right?

The Force.

I think each time somebody travels through time in Star Trek, they invent a new way to do it, and one that constructively supports the story they're trying to tell. If it just so happens that one episode or movie's method conflicts with another's, that's just a result of the writers not all being on the same page.

Star Trek also makes you wonder why they rely so much on ship-based communication systems, which are so easily blocked by outside entities and saboteurs onboard. If engineering and the bridge are unable to communicate, it makes for interesting crises that form the centerpiece plot of so many episodes.

But if you've got a replicator onboard, or carry more antiquated artifacts as curiosities and for study, why not carry some 20th century military-grade walkie-talkies onboard, that don't require ship's power and whose radio beams can cut through the vacuum of space and the solid metal walls of the ship?

Think how different First Contact would be if somebody had a walkie talkie. "Hey Earth guys, there's Borg on board, you better get back aboard the ship. Ok. Borg die. Problem solved. Rest of movie is vacation in Tahiti. The end."