The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

so...

i was expecting avatar to have cgi humans. Now how is tintin going to look?

i expected life-like humans with some cartoonish strokes...but now maybe its completely similar to the comic.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so...

i expected life-like humans with some cartoonish strokes...but now maybe its completely similar to the comic.

I think they are going to retain comic look. I don't suppose Beowulf approach, where characters had their actors' faces.

And something about the "next" John Williams:

Let me say, however, there is no "next" John Williams. Sadly, he is unique--- a figure who simultaneously embodies and transcends the music of all the masters of film music who preceded him. ( Much like Brahms and Wagner of the Romantic era). He comes from a time when the craft of music in film was still one of the ear, heart and mind. Today, sadly, the craft is largely technical. Most composers do not conceive their music "inwardly" but rather at the computer--- and with rather limited skills, musically, at that. The inner spirit knows no boundaries--- our plastic abilities, sadly, do. John is a man of spirit, heart, intellect and soaring music.

Lofty praise indeed, but it is as much an excoriation of Williams' contemporaries as it is a tribute to his talents. I wonder how many up and coming composers in Hollywood would agree with Pope's blanket characterization of their work and the state of the industry.

I think Mr. Pope is completely correct and he explains well why film music quality has diminished so much.

It's not a terribly satisfying explanation, laden as it is with highly subjective presuppositions and extremely vague concepts such as "inner spirit."

so...

I think they are going to retain comic look. I don't suppose Beowulf approach, where characters had their actors' faces.

i think they at least will resemble the looks of the actors (caronised versions, somehow?), otherwise, what is the point of hiring daniel craig (new popular star=expensive?) if he could just dub the film, instead of casting an unkown person to do the motion capture??

so...

i think they at least will resemble the looks of the actors (caronised versions, somehow?), otherwise, what is the point of hiring daniel craig (new popular star=expensive?) if he could just dub the film, instead of casting an unkown person to do the motion capture??

As far as I remember King Kong didn't resemble Andy Serkis whose facial expressions and movement had been captured to create the giant ape. My guess is that Jackson and Spielberg want their actors not just to dub, but to fully portray their respective characters - identify with them, give them distinct personality and so on. While I assume their facial expressions will also be used, I am preety sure the directors won't use actual look of the actors and remain faithful to the cartoon depiction.

andy serkis is NOT a star. he just happens to do motion capture work in the peter jackson films that requiere it...

lets see the final product.

in Fact andy serkis face would tranform nicecy in captain haddock's. regarding the look of his character in king kong.

so...

But that would also mean they would have to somehow make Simon Pegg and Nick Frost look almost identical

andy serkis is NOT a star. he just happens to do motion capture work in the peter jackson films that requiere it...

He has actually starred in many films, including Jackson's King Kong.

i know. i consider the king kong chararter (and the ungollum smeagol) more like cameos anyway.

my point is that he is not an expensive film star.

He has actually starred in many films, including Jackson's King Kong.

i know. i consider the king kong chararter (and the ungollum smeagol) more like cameos anyway.

my point is that he is not an expensive film star.

I still don't expect Spielberg and Jackson give up their characters original look (including faces).

• 4 months later...

Small news: According to Conrad Pope, more recording sessions will take place on late March, moving into April.

Here are his actual words, in case I made any mistakes...

Tin-Tin we score, starting late March--- into April.

I think Pope is referring to the actual recording. Williams is reportedly writing the score since fall 2009.

What I'm curious about is if this will be only the first round of recording sessions. Considering the film will be released in fall 2011, I think Williams will do pick-up sessions later to accomodate the inevitable re-editing/tinkering of the final cut.

so is this movie going to look like those crappy Bob Zemekis movies or are they going to do this like Cameron. Not that Spielberg is a director of Cameron's calibre anymore. That much is certain.

It's best to set your sights low for this film. Better to enjoy the rewards or not be disappointed.

Perhaps. I still secretly hope all my bashing of Spielberg is for not and he delivers a magnificent picture.

so is this movie going to look like those crappy Bob Zemekis movies or are they going to do this like Cameron.

Tintin is using the same exact technology Cameron and Weta developed and employed for Avatar, but the final renderings of the pictures will be something more comicbook-like and akin to Hergé's original drawings. Or at least this is what Spielberg and Jackson said.

so is this movie going to look like those crappy Bob Zemekis movies or are they going to do this like Cameron.

Tintin is using the same exact technology Cameron and Weta developed and employed for Avatar, but the final renderings of the pictures will be something more comicbook-like and akin to Hergé's original drawings. Or at least this is what Spielberg and Jackson said.

then its going to be Zemekis and not like Cameron, and the original drawings/cartoon are hideous. Cameron wanted to acheive a life like quality, not some 20'ish crappy cartoon.

then its going to be Zemekis and not like Cameron, and the original drawings/cartoon are hideous. Cameron wanted to acheive a life like quality, not some 20'ish crappy cartoon.

He said it's using the same technology, not going for the same style. It's possible to use the same tool and come out with two different results. Zemeckis' films don't use Weta's technology.

Also, in what way are Herge's original drawings hideous? As comic strips? In relation to what?

personal esthetics, what other is there. What's next a film based on the wonderfully drawn Nancy cartoon.

I agree. It can be done.

Let's say that Peanuts was getting a feature movie. I'd rather it be drawn in the style of the comic strip (such as Snoopy, Come Home) then be turned into a live action or CGI dreck like the Garfield movies.

• 5 weeks later...

Common sense would tell you Mr. Savas is referring to BTTF in a general sense.

With Paramount and Universal playing ball, everything is fair game unless there are no sources available, the rights are spread out among different parties, Lucasfilm-Spielberg-Williams and Father time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More news! From Mr. Pope himself again (Don't worry, I won't bother him any more ;) )

TinTin is going well---at least from my perspective.

I believe there is more music to come--- though John recorded quite a bit last month and some this month( as well as music last October).

... See More

I wish I could say more, but I think it's "not my place" to reveal too much.

Let me just say, I'm always astonished by John's brilliance, consummate craft, and fertile imagination.

As musician it gets no better--- either to work for or merely listen to.

I assure you, TinTin will be worth the wait!

Sounds exciting! ;)

Cool, good one man!

Why don't you ask him if he has a list and the cue numbers for any inserts, etc, that were recorded for Revenge Of The Sith?

That would be great! ;)

In fact, it would be great if he could give us the numbered cues lists for all the SW prequels!

More news! From Mr. Pope himself again (Don't worry, I won't bother him any more ;) )

TinTin is going well---at least from my perspective.

I believe there is more music to come--- though John recorded quite a bit last month and some this month( as well as music last October).

... See More

I wish I could say more, but I think it's "not my place" to reveal too much.

Let me just say, I'm always astonished by John's brilliance, consummate craft, and fertile imagination.

As musician it gets no better--- either to work for or merely listen to.

I assure you, TinTin will be worth the wait!

Sounds exciting! ;)

Cool, so music was recorded in October 2009, March 2010, and April 2010... and the movie's coming out December 2011. Wacky!

It it seems like he would of had time to do HP7p1 if he wanted to

I can't wait for some asshole website to accredit this quote to Williams himself..."Let me just say, I'm always astonished by [my] brilliance, consummate craft, and fertile imagination. As a musician it gets no better--- either to work for or merely listen to."

But this news is great! We will definitely be getting a new John Williams score!