The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just know the purists and armchair experts will whine and moan about him operating shots with a little game's console-like controller and how the fact that he has complete freedom of movement without the compromises which filming in the real world can bring somehow stifles creativity, making the director spoiled and lazy.

Even with the massively awesome talent behind this film (Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, John Williams, etc), I have almost zero interest in seeing it. I am almost totally unfamiliar with the "franchise" (can't think of a better word for it at the moment, sorry), apart from generally knowing it exists. Maybe the creepy horribleness of the Zemeckis motion-capture films are detracting from any desire to see it, too. I don't know, it just does nothing for me. I'll probably try to listen to the soundtrack at least, and maybe one day it'll be a rental, but I just have so little interest. Which is somewhat strange, considering how big a fan I am of a lot of people involved.

Yeah, but it was RotS... Although in that case, it worked for me for a while.

Professor Calculus is not in the cast list on IMDB so it would seem that they eliminated him from the story. The trick of getting that ship in the middle of the desert will be an interesting feat from the writers if they want to be faithful to the plot of the comic books, unless the scene shown on the trailer wasn't a dream sequence or a mirage of some kind.

That scene could also be a sort of transition between different places. Or that, for example, Haddock starts telling the story, the Unicorn appears that way and suddenly we are in the middle of the sea.

Interesting that Spielberg operated the camera himself.

With TinTin he's done something he's never done before. Maybe that will have inspired him to go beyond his usual limits.

Well hey, tin-tin is holding a gun in the trailer at least! Guess he couldn't find his walkie talkie in time..

Interesting that Spielberg operated the camera himself.

With TinTin he's done something he's never done before. Maybe that will have inspired him to go beyond his usual limits.

this actually gives me hope for the film since Spielberg's greatest gift always to be his eye on the shot. He learned alot from Zemekis, Jackson, and Cameron, on how the motion capture works, and with so much invested and him doing the actual work, he might "capture" lightning in a bottle again, God knows it's escaped him most of this centuries first decade.

this actually gives me hope for the film since Spielberg's greatest gift always to be his eye on the shot. He learned alot from Zemekis, Jackson, and Cameron, on how the motion capture works, and with so much invested and him doing the actual work, he might "capture" lightning in a bottle again, God knows it's escaped him most of this centuries first decade.

I'm more concerned about the actual story being told. The trailer looked a bit measly in that regard.

And you've seen lots of 1-minute long teaser trailers that told you significant details of the plotline the movie will have?

And you've seen lots of 1-minute long teaser trailers that told you significant details of the plotline the movie will have?

Um...yes. The good ones.

A good trailer doesn't spoil the story. It reveals what the film is like, instead.

Knowing the comics and the writers, the story is the least of my worries. It's our compensation for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. :lol:

I'm hoping Tintin coming right after Skull is some sort of sign that Spielberg realised what a mess he made of Indy and (with it fresh in his mind) decided to return to the genre and get it right. He ain't doing Indy 5.

Audio Machine is a better composer than John Williams , Spielberg should have let him compose the entire score.

Seriously?

I find those easier to reconcile than their interpretation of Tintin himself, who I still find a little jarring to look at without his super-simplified features from the comics. But I understand that it's difficult to translate comics to a more photorealistic medium, and that they had to find a compromise between being literally faithful to the source material and making it look...not weird. :P

Yes we were commenting more on the design. Tintin looks like if they had found an an actual actor that looked a lot like Tintin. I think it was Jackson who said they were supposed to look like "real Herge people".

People say Tintin's face bugs them because in the last shot he's concentrated trying not to be seen and listening to the bad guys (Allan is there). They might misunderstand the shot.

Haven't read the original stories, but I think the shots in the trailer look great, especially with those comparisons! With the Zemeckis films, it seemed to me that the goal was 100% realism in the human characters, which ended up resulting in slightly uncanny facial expressions. It looks like Spielberg is shooting for a more painterly aesthetic, here. The characters are three-dimensional and realistic-looking, sure, but there's an exaggerated, artistic bent to the way they look, which could make the whole thing easier to swallow. Looking forward to seeing more.

I ordered vol. 2 of his adventures last night - see if I can rekindle some of that childhood enjoyment and appreciation before the movie comes out. I've forgotten the plots and details of pretty much every adventure, and I read them all.

I've got something new and fresh to look forward to this winter/Xmas before Episode I in Digital 3D. The teaser trailer looks very promising. If the music that is heard in it is any indication of what the score a la Maestro Williams will be, I think we've got another new Classic. Funny that critics in the 1980s compared these stories to Lucas'/Spielberg's Indiana Jones series...wonder if that informed John Williams' handling of the material in any way. I don't know if it crossed Spielberg's mind (or Williams' either), but, am I the only one who thinks that the Thompson Twins' theme/leitmotif should be the New Wave group Thompson Twins' musical riff from their song "We Are Detective"? How great of an '80s reference would that be, in an epic that takes place in another time? I think that tune would be a perfect match, since the group took the name from those two bumbling cops. Love the pirate ship sailing through the desert as well (I immediately thought of Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles). I might want to pick this score up, too. It'd be great if the soundtrack were packaged in a similar comic book fashion, w/ key scenes to match the score (like John gave us w/ the gorgeous 2-Disc STAR WARS: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE (ULTIMATE EDITION)). Now, I've got to save even more money now for even more CDs.

Y'know, the weird thing is, when I watched the teasers when they first came out, I didn't really give too much thought to what the music could be like in the film itself, even though that's been the only reason I'm following the development of this film. It really could be quite a good score. I hope so.

The Maestro does understand cinema. I don't think animation or live action matter for him.

In this case I really wish something jazzy (obviously mixed with the obligatory pirate undertones), but we'll see.

The Maestro does understand cinema. I don't think animation or live action matter for him.

In this case I really wish something jazzy (obviously mixed with the obligatory pirate undertones), but we'll see.

According to Conrad Pope, there's a piece that sounds like a Raymond Scott quintet ;)

Something tells me such animation films aren't up Johnny's alley.

What are you talking about? "Cartoon Demonstration" is a masterpiece! ;)

No, but seriously, I'm with Chaac. Williams understands how film works, and the exact methods with which it were used shouldn't matter. This film was done CG (for better or for worse) so they could have maximum control over the appearance of everything, especially the characters, but it seems to have been handled more or less like a live-action film, anyway.

Besides, he already scored the prequels, which barely have more live action than Tintin...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure why you're referring to the "game trailer"

That is the music used in the trailer for the film itself. Thanks for the link, its not a bad listen.

However...Now I think it's about time we'll get to hear at least a part of the Tintin theme by John Williams. Can that be arranged? Anyone? They recorded it ages ago!

Kalli