Best use of silence?

Eric_JWFAN

Call it the John Cage Award if you will. But many movies have had pivotal moments, dramatic action scenes etc where the composer/director chose to use no music at all but rather let the atmospheric sound on its own. Some scenes in Jurassic Park come to mind and of course the famous Luke/Darth Vader duel in ESB.

What other scenes could have had great music but were wisely left unaccompanied?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cropduster scene in North by Northwest and the subway scene and car chase in The French Connection spring to mind.

I also like the way the music builds up to the bar fight Raiders of the Lost Ark, but the actual fight is unscored.

WHen the oliphants are charging at Rohan in ROTK, the music builds up, but stops as soon as the oliphants attack (sort of like RAiders bar scene).

Also, Home Alone 2, when Kevin being chased by the coneirge through the hotel, and he runs in his room to do the whole "TV/tommy gun gag". The music does a wonderful crescendo, then silences.

Perhaps Eric or one of the more classically aware members can enlighten me.

Was 4:33 a joke, or was it a serious thing? I remember back in my high school orchestra class it amused everyone for about a week when we learned about it.

Was 4:33 a joke, or was it a serious thing? I remember back in my high school orchestra class it amused everyone for about a week when we learned about it.

We went over that a little in a music class I had last year, and it seemed like it was a serious attempt to demonstrate that a musical performance didn't have to be predetermined or limited to what's written on a piece of paper, but rather open to encompassing everything going on in the hall, from the rustles and coughs of audience members to the wind outside or the furnace turning on. Kinda made Cage sound like a douche.

Ray Barnsbury

For some reason that reminds me of Goldsmith saying:

"In some concert halls they warn people not to cough, because it distracts the performers. They even have a jar of cough sweets at the door. Isn't that ridiculous! You can cough all you want here. My music is usually drowned out by car chases and the like...."

See, I've always felt that the shower sequence in Schindlers List could've benefited from a musical score. The strings build the scene so scarily well that it almost seems a shame that ET's flying theme doesn't kick in at the moment of watery relief.

WHen the oliphants are charging at Rohan in ROTK, the music builds up, but stops as soon as the oliphants attack (sort of like RAiders bar scene).

Yes, that exact scene from ROTK jumped right into my head, great build up to a spectacular battle scene.

Other than that it's hard to think of other particular scenes.

A reasonably well-known example is the famous car chase scene in the movie Bullitt. Lalo Schifrin scores the initial cat-and-mouse with the wonderful cue Shifting Gears but the music stops completely when the chase begins in earnest, with only the sounds of the cars' engines and the screeching of their tyres.

From the Williams' canon, the first that comes to mind is Saving Private Ryan.

From the rest, I always admired the use of silence in Kubrick's films.

Alan Silvestri also made great use of silence in Cast Away.

And Herrmann, in several Hitchcock films, the most obvious one being The Birds.

I think that the Birds was one of the the slowest moving, most boring movie I've ever seen. The only film I can think of right now that's worse than The Birds is 1941. I think a bit of music could have seriously moved that movie along. IMO, Hitchcock really screwed up there...I mean, there wasn't even an ending! Most of his films can be a bit anti-climactic (or at least, the climax isn't the best part). The Birds, there was no climax!

I think that the Birds was one of the the slowest moving, most boring movie I've ever seen. The only film I can think of right now that's worse than The Birds is 1941. I think a bit of music could have seriously moved that movie along. IMO, Hitchcock really screwed up there...I mean, there wasn't even an ending! Most of his films can be a bit anti-climactic (or at least, the climax isn't the best part). The Birds, there was no climax!

I can understand your feelings towards The Birds... but 1941 is amazing!

1941 is the worst film I've ever seen. Right in the midst of Spielberg's most popular films, too. Strange.

The only part I lauged at was the Jaws parody and the running trees, and when that guy swallowed the compass in the cracker jacks box.

to think that the man responsible for the complexity of Back to the Future wrote the script, and that the man behind the depth and meaning of Schindler's List directed the movie.

Master and Commander has some great silent moments that let the outstanding sound design shine, the beginning especially

Totally agree. Great use of classical pieces as well.

I would add Munich to the mix.

The Unknown Soldier

A Finnish War movie from 1985.

The story is about the Continuation War(1941-44) between Finland and the Soviet Union

as told from the viewpoint of ordinary Finnish soldiers.

Very shocking but beautiful film.

The duration is almost four hours and there is

no music at all in this film!!

The scene where the Nazis search the graveyard in The Sound of Music. Not only is there no music but the quiet is what creates the suspense. And in a packed house the audience gets just as quiet.

In a Williams score there are several spots in CE3K where he wrote music but it wasn't used. The approach of the mothership is an obvious one, but right after the initial close encounter at the railroad crossing it gets absolutely silent. Originally Williams had music come in when Roy looks up at the dark ship passing over but it was so much more effective keeping it quiet.

The scene where the Nazis search the graveyard in The Sound of Music. Not only is there no music but the quiet is what creates the suspense. And in a packed house the audience gets just as quiet.

That is a truly breathtaking scene.

There was one good reason why "The Birds" was sans soundtrack-realism. I believe that Hitchcock thought that tension cues and whatever would be totally distracting to the narrative and he also wanted his audience to be smack in the middle of something that could quite possibly happen.Oh yeah,he's a little vague in his intentions,but that's precisely why this movie is one that holds up well on repeat viewings over the years-Every nook and cranny isn't explained to you and you have to think about it each and every time you watch it. I mean is Tippi Hedren "evil" or is it just coincidence?

The reason for the "no ending" ending was to keep everyone hanging and thinking.Is it really the "end of the world" or is it just some bizarre temporal thing?

Hitchcock leaves it up to you to decide,if you ever can.Sorry,can't tie this one up with a ribbon because it's already been shredded by our avian friends..

Music would have done nothing but get in the way.This is a true actors movie and Hitchcock chose his actors wisely.

A lot of people would venture that this movie is an action piece with character bits in between. It's really the other way around....

There was one good reason why "The Birds" was sans soundtrack-realism. I believe that Hitchcock thought that tension cues and whatever would be totally distracting to the narrative and he also wanted his audience to be smack in the middle of something that could quite possibly happen.Oh yeah,he's a little vague in his intentions,but that's precisely why this movie is one that holds up well on repeat viewings over the years-Every nook and cranny isn't explained to you and you have to think about it each and every time you watch it. I mean is Tippi Hedren "evil" or is it just coincidence?

The reason for the "no ending" ending was to keep everyone hanging and thinking.Is it really the "end of the world" or is it just some bizarre temporal thing?

Hitchcock leaves it up to you to decide,if you ever can.Sorry,can't tie this one up with a ribbon because it's already been shredded by our avian friends..

Music would have done nothing but get in the way.This is a true actors movie and Hitchcock chose his actors wisely.

A lot of people would venture that this movie is an action piece with character bits in between. It's really the other way around....

While that may be true, you can't deny that it's slow moving.

For me, one of the most effective uses of musical silence is Schindlers List. It heightens the impact when Williams comes in.

The moment where the mother ship appears in Close Encounters is only accompanied by a deep rumble. It's a jaw-dropping moment! Gradually the orchestra creeps in until reaching a brilliant climactic cluster chord as the ship begins to turn, but the money shot of the ship rising up behind Devil's Tower is without music. Genius!

The T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park.

Brody's death in Jaws.

The final duel in Heat.