John Williams "looking older...not feeling good"

Hlao-roo

Indulging my worst yellow journalistic instincts, I'm calling your attention to a review piece posted at the FSM Message Board yesterday, in which the author writes the following:

Another thing we noticed, is John Williams is looking older, or was not feeling good. He used the railing on the conductors stand

quite a lot, even getting up and down off the platform. He also said that it was great to be here in Columbus where he had never been,

and to conduct an orchestra he had never conducted. Well, I went to a concert in the Spring of 1993, at the Palace Theater, with the Columbus Symphony, conducted by John Williams!!! I know he performs worldwide, but the Palace Theater in downtown Columbus, Ohio, is not a place one would forget!!!

Any thoughts before Mr. Breathmask closes this thread for its pointless and tasteless sensationalism?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not sensationalism at all. He's an old man now, whether we like to accept the fact or not. If as I suspect he keeps on working rather than retiring we will of course see him deteriorate with age. This should make us all the more appreciative of the new scores, concert pieces, and concerts he gives.

This makes me feel sad.

But one should also note that 74 is not THAT old! Sure, he's no spring chicken anymore, but people live to be 100 these days without it being a big deal! I hope he takes good care of himself. Creative people are supposed to live a long time, so I hope JW will be one of them! He certainly has something to keep himself busy!

ROTFLMAO

I guess it's subjective and he might have days when he's doing better than others but I thought he was in great shape when I saw him in New York 2 weeks ago. As for forgetting being in Columbus OH, 14 years prior, I'm sure someone on this board would have a ballpark number of how many concerts he gave since '93.

He is in GREAT shape for 75!!!!

PS and by the way he used the hand rail at Tanglewood when I saw him 10 YEARS ago!!!

Maybe he just likes to hold on to things =)

He was very spritely in San Diego 7 months ago too!!! It invigorated me and I am only 30!!!

As to his memory, he is always messing things up in a cute way:

Harry Potter and his Wand (Nimbus 2000)

Theme for the Brontosaurus Rex (Jurassic Park)

He even hit the oboe player in the head with his baton in Pittsburgh!!!

I think it makes for a stronger individual when he shows his mortality and imperfections but I am just pointing out he obvious of course....

Geniuses are often confused by trivial things. Like Einstein. John Williams is the Einstein of music, so it makes perfect sense that he should forget some trivial stuff now and then.

ROTFLMAO

This makes me feel sad.

But one should also note that 74 is not THAT old! Sure, he's no spring chicken anymore, but people live to be 100 these days without it being a big deal! I hope he takes good care of himself. Creative people are supposed to live a long time, so I hope JW will be one of them! He certainly has something to keep himself busy!

ROTFLMAO

Im 47 and from my point of view 74 is old.

maybe if I get to 74, I might change my mind.

ROTFLMAO Another one of these threads? Not again!

how would you know, you've been here like six weeks posting 100 times a week.

the only unique threads here have been mine........4 years ago

Williams forgetting this kind of stuff is not new.

Indeed.

And I didn't want to say anything partially not to hijack the NY concert thread, and paritally because I've always criticized these types of threads, but the NY concert pics were the first time ever that I really thought "Wow, he's looking old". ROTFLMAO

He has been looking old for some years now (the last 2 or 3 years, I would say), but the New York pictures have been the best high resolution images we've got in a long time, so it has been more noticeable than usual.

Yes, but it seems like every other thread is about John William's death or old age.

Yes, but it seems like every other thread is about John William's death or old age.

yeah but the really good ones are the ones where I killed him in various and unique ways, Im still partial to his death by impalement on a chicken on a stick.

He's apparently forgotten he wrote "Han Solo and the Princess" which he used in 2 films. How's he supposed to remember bring at the Palace Theater in Columbus over a decade ago? I'd personally like him to remember the former before the latter.

...He also said that it was great to be here in Columbus where he had never been...

I was at this show, and I thought he said that he had never been to the Ohio Theater. If he had previously only been to the Palace Theater, then what he said was accurate. I heard him as complimenting a venue he had never been to before.

And furthermore, he seemed very fit and energetic for a 75-year-old. I was very impressed with his performance, and I am very thankful I finally got a chance to see the Maestro in person.

At the most recent Hollywood Bowl concert, I thought he acted noticeably older than he did just one year before. He was using the handrail, and almost forgetting things. BUT... he still has his wits about him. He joked about how that the accompanying clips of Lawrence of Arabia featured "real" sandstorms and "real" deserts, not cg stuff.

And by God, he was still sharp enough to say that "I think there is a noticeable difference..."

And he did his encores!

He is 75, and in his interviews he still looks quiet lucid.

As for forgetting stuff, he has been doing that since forever -- I would say that he's so concentrated on his current work, everything else is kind of forgoten.

And yes, he's getting older, and yes, he is going to die one day...

But then again, we're all getting older, we're all going to die some day. Don't see what's the big deal there.

But one should also note that 74 is not THAT old!

He's 75.

I'll leave the second half of my reasoning to Stefan.

Same difference!

I think we shouldn't worry about him . . . 75 is not 85 or 95, after all. He's still got many good years ahead of him! :D

He is 75, and in his interviews he still looks quiet lucid.

As for forgetting stuff, he has been doing that since forever -- I would say that he's so concentrated on his current work, everything else is kind of forgoten.

And yes, he's getting older, and yes, he is going to die one day...

But then again, we're all getting older, we're all going to die some day. Don't see what's the big deal there.

I completely agree. People age. People die. My two cents about JW: When I met him in May of this year, he looked great for a man of his age. While waiting for him, we were told that he had come into Symphony Hall at 7 that morning, worked with the Pops, and such. Then, that evening he conducted the concert, and stayed at S.H. til almost midnight while having meetings and watching "a film" that someone wanted him to watch. When he finally came out, he didn't even look tired. I am sure he was, but the point I am trying to make was that a man that age has to be well to have what I am guessing was five days like he did (since there were five nights of concerts).

And, he held onto the hand rails at Boston, too. No big deal.

Does it occur to no one here that it's a little offending to constantly talk about his age? The worst phrase I can imagine if I were in my 70s would be "You look good for your age." I mean, let the man do his job!

If word gets around that he might be sick or not feeling well, then we should worry! But not because he held on the to the railing once too often! I mean, come on!

Does it occur to no one here that it's a little offending to constantly talk about his age? The worst phrase I can imagine if I were in my 70s would be "You look good for your age." I mean, let the man do his job!

If word gets around that he might be sick or not feeling well, then we should worry! But not because he held on the to the railing once too often! I mean, come on!

"Offend"? I'm offended by that word.

Where is Stefan? mellow.gif

Staying away from this thread, being as wise as he is ...

I wish I had done this before I was drawn into the doombound nuclear winter of this thread.

This is from YESTERDAY, and he looks HEALTHY.

This is also filmed from a mile away. He's nothing but a blurry ball.

This is from YESTERDAY, and he looks HEALTHY.

Yes, he did! And as for him holding onto the rail, it must be incredibly tiring to conduct music. First off, you're standing straight and tall to have good posture for about an hour (depending on how long the concert is and when the intermission is). Don't forget that when everyone else is sitting, JW is standing. You've probably been standing there for hours earlier, for rehearsal.

then there's the actual movement of the hands. If it's a slow piece, it means holding your hands up for a long time, which would feel very heavy after a while. If it's a fast piece, you're moving your hands very fast, which is tiring by itself.

Then there all all the lights that are beaming down onto you, which get bad enough after 10 minutes, imagine several hours! And don't forget that you aren't wearing shorts and a T-shirt - you're wearing a full tuxedo, buttoned up fully and a collared shirt underneath, with long black pants and uncomfortable shoes. The heat would drain you of much energy.

Plus, you're caught up in the adrenaline and excitement, which can be very energy-draining. And on top of all of this, you have to use your mind A LOT to know when to change tempo, what the tempo should be, and all the other things conductors must worry about.

True, if a twenty-year old did this, they probably wouldn't be holding onto the rail so much. But if even a 50 year-old did this, I'm sure they would be holding onto the rail a lot, probably as much as JW did.

Indeed, it's admirable that he still so willingly conducts as often as he does. I seem to remember catching a glimpse of him guzzling out of a water bottle just backstage at the Cleveland concert in 2002, so at least he hydrates!

Ray Barnsbury

It was probably Everclear, or Vodka.

One does not kick the bar, One leans into the bar...

This makes me feel sad.

But one should also note that 74 is not THAT old! Sure, he's no spring chicken anymore, but people live to be 100 these days without it being a big deal!

No they don't live to a hundred. It is extremely rare. What horseshit.

74 is in fact 2 years higher than the average life span of a caucasian male.

I'd certainly be the first to admit that if I had to conduct those pieces, in those clothes, under those hot lights, in front of that crowd, I'd pass out before intermission.

Me too. And, he's 75!!

This makes me feel sad.

But one should also note that 74 is not THAT old! Sure, he's no spring chicken anymore, but people live to be 100 these days without it being a big deal!

No they don't live to a hundred. It is extremely rare. What horseshit.

74 is in fact 2 years higher than the average life span of a caucasian male.

Maybe where you come from!

And anyway, are you calling JW average???

Over the years, I've gone to see him in concert and backstage and have seen no obvious age deterioration but for a whitening of the hair (which is actually a sign of a young Tai-Chi Master :lol:). Sometimes I look tired and need to hang on to a railing too when I work as hard as he does, and I am only 32. The job of the composer/conductor can be a sleep depriving one. If he's young enough to go golfing (my wife's grandfather sees him on the Beverly Hills Country Club greens), I wouldn't worry so much.

All this is pretty tasteless as far as discussion goes. Are we going to be taking bets on the year of his demise next?

All this is pretty tasteless as far as discussion goes. Are we going to be taking bets on the year of his demise next?

This thread's been practically glowing with optimism compared with previous ones we've had.