2 CD Edition of Goldsmith's ALIEN

Ollie

Disk 2 doesn't seem very usefull,other than jack up the price 10$

The album assembly on ALIEN features a lot of editing. To be able to get that in the same quality as the full cues is a very cool thing.

Neil

Another ALIEN score to my ever-growing ALIEN score collection. One of Jerry's best. And with a weak US Dollar against the Euro, no better time to get your hands on it. No excuses.

This is Hitch, last surviving director of the golden and silver age....signing off.

Well,it's good to know Goldsmith fanboys have the determination to actually make things happen.

I guess we'll just have to wait passively

I don't think this release is just the consequence of Goldsmith fanboys' determination. It's the heartfelt determination of a very good soundtrack label who wants to release great film scores, giving them a loving restoration treatment.

Don't be so negative, I'm sure we'll see some great, long-awaited complete editions of several Williams scores released in the near future. If there's something I learned in the latest years, it's that anything can be released, sooner or later. And supporting the labels through buying their CDs can only increase the possibilities to see some of them sooner than later.

Well,it's good to know Goldsmith fanboys have the determination to actually make things happen.

I guess we'll just have to wait passively

Right.

Bad Intrada only released John Williams' much-requested Monsignor a few weeks ago, and before this Goldsmith title.

How could they be so unfair to John Williams?!

Disk 2 doesn't seem very usefull,other than jack up the price 10$

Of course, if it were a John Williams title, like, say, The Fury, having the original album presentation as well as the complete score would be more than useful: vital.

And Intrada even added to the insult by including 13 minutes of bonus tracks!

We have never been so scammed since the Star Wars Anthology box set, which included lots of outtakes and alternate tracks! Oh-- wait-- this was a box full of Williams scores, so it was a good-- not, a necessary thing-- nay, something that saved the universe from implosion!

:unsure:

oblien0001.gif

Oh, come on!

It's Alien, for crying out loud.

It's one of the most requested scores. It has been for years.

Now it gets a royal treatment and you're still bitter?

If you don't want it, then just don't spend the 30 bucks on it. Intrada is making a lot of people very happy with this unlimited(!) release of a long-awaited score. Get over yourself already.

- Marc, who cannot understand why people are responding negatively to this news. :unsure:

Monsignor is a straight re-issue of the LP.For years I thought it would have unreleased music and alternates.

Anyways all these 2 c.d. sets get released and then when you ask about Williams (Potter,Indy,Hook,SW Prequels),it's oh no ,for that to be released we'd have to sell 15000 copies or it's not even worth bothering with it...Excuse us our greed is preventing us from relasing those in a limited edtion.so since there's no in between a widespread release and a limited one,they are stuck in somekind of no release twilight zone

Okay.

Are you done now? Can we resume rejoicing?

Anyways all these 2 c.d. sets get released and then when you ask about Williams (Potter,Indy,Hook,SW Prequels),it's oh no ,for that to be released we'd have to sell 15000 copies or it's not even worth bothering with it...Excuse us our greed is preventing us from releasing those in a limited edtion too.So since there's no in between a widescale release and a limited one,they are stuck in somekind of no release twilight zone

I don't remember reading anywhere that Williams CDs need to sell like a pop record to be released. As far as these titles you mention are concerned, I'm pretty much sure it's not a matter about IF they will be released, but just WHEN. The only thing we could hope it's that it will be soon. And, more importantly, that they will be produced by people who know their job, like FSM, Intrada, Varèse and Nick Redman.

so there's no re-use fees for Alien? Oh right,that only matters when it's convenient in an arguement.

Alien was recorded in London. Re-use fees for English musicians are much lower than U.S.

I don't really understand why you're so bitter and angry.

Exactly, so naturally re-use fees are minimal if not non-existent as I know a couple of musicians that have got damn all for CD releases of recordings from that era in London. Good for us, but not for them!

Would you not like to be financially rewarded for your craft? UK session musicians got paid an incredibly low rate back in that era so it is only fair that they get royalties.

The re-use fees are the main obstacle to music beeing released ,that is the problem.If they were adjusted to a percentage of c.d.'s sold instead of somekind of insurmountable fixed fee which I imagine they are,then it wouldn't be a problem

I have copied the isolated soundtrack plus the alternative isolated soundtrack from the first DVD edition on minidisc. Do you think that I then have most or all of the Intrada music already?

Not all of it. And the DVD iso sounds like the original album - extremely hissy. However the sound on the new release is, it will certainly be significantly better.

We'll forgive you this time. :unsure:

*Forgive* me for my being wrong!? You should be kissing my feet!

Thinking about it, this will most likely be remembered as a milestone in the release history of film scores.

The re-use fees are the main obstacle to music beeing released ,that is the problem.If they were adjusted to a percentage of c.d.'s sold instead of somekind of insurmountable fixed fee which I imagine they are,then it wouldn't be a problem

That's why some releases are limited editions, so they do not have to pay the same fees.

If I remember well, some years ago the American Federation of Musicians agreed to lower their percentage of re-use fees residuals in order to facilitate record labels (especially independent ones like FSM, Varèse and Intrada) in releasing film scores CDs, especially for scores that are older than 25 years (that's also why Varèse doesn't release scant 30-minute CDs anymore).

In the last five years, a ton of great film scores of the past have been released, so we can reasonably hope the floodgates will never close.

I can see where KM is coming from, since it indeed seems that it's Goldsmith that's had the most interesting releases lately. However: this year we've had both Amazing Stories and the Monsignor LP, which is quite good (although long overdue) for Williams, since it is clearly the Williams scores that's hardest to release, probably due to the success of the films he scored, as opposed to Goldsmith.

You won't hear me complaining about that though - since I think we've had some pretty good releases (think also of the John Towner Williams Jazz Beginnings, the very welcome rerelease of Witches of Eastwick, etc.) and I happen to like most Goldsmith.

And Alien, of course, is the most fantastic release in two or three years, definitely. Second perhaps only to Monsignor, but then again, Alien is complete. What a great surprise that was! I for one, didn't see that one coming! (I thought Mark (Olivarez) was just joking when he said it might be Alien).

But what does set me off, though, is the attitudes on some other MBs where after one significant Williams release (finally) there's already complaining like all right all right, nice release, but now get us more Goldsmith. That's just ridiculous. We get all those fantastic Goldsmith releases and immediately when they get them (Wind and the Lion, Alien) they're already posting a list with more Goldsmith requests. In comparison with those narrow-minded Goldsmith fanatics, I'd welcome KM's healthy pleas for Williams, and I understand them as a reaction against the Goldsmithian FSM community (which is far more pronounced than the Williams community that is far more open and inclusive towards other important releases).

That said, let's celebrate. Personally I've waited long for this release, and I'm glad it's Intrada that's releasing it: I hope it sells extremely well, they deserve it after such a fantastic year.

I can see where KM is coming from, since it indeed seems that it's Goldsmith that's had the most interesting releases lately. However: this year we've had both Amazing Stories and the Monsignor LP, which is quite good (although long overdue) for Williams, since it is clearly the Williams scores that's hardest to release, probably due to the success of the films he scored, as opposed to Goldsmith.

You won't hear me complaining about that though - since I think we've had some pretty good releases (think also of the John Towner Williams Jazz Beginnings, the very welcome rerelease of Witches of Eastwick, etc.) and I happen to like most Goldsmith.

And Alien, of course, is the most fantastic release in two or three years, definitely. Second perhaps only to Monsignor, but then again, Alien is complete. What a great surprise that was! I for one, didn't see that one coming! (I thought Mark (Olivarez) was just joking when he said it might be Alien).

But what does set me off, though, is the attitudes on some other MBs where after one significant Williams release (finally) there's already complaining like all right all right, nice release, but now get us more Goldsmith. That's just ridiculous. We get all those fantastic Goldsmith releases and immediately when they get them (Wind and the Lion, Alien) they're already posting a list with more Goldsmith requests. In comparison with those narrow-minded Goldsmith fanatics, I'd welcome KM's healthy pleas for Williams, and I understand them as a reaction against the Goldsmithian FSM community (which is far more pronounced than the Williams community that is far more open and inclusive towards other important releases).

That said, let's celebrate. Personally I've waited long for this release, and I'm glad it's Intrada that's releasing it: I hope it sells extremely well, they deserve it after such a fantastic year.

My reaction has more to do with the FSM MB attitude that is generally condescenting or dismissive towards Williams,and not the score to Alien itself.

K.M.

I can see where KM is coming from, since it indeed seems that it's Goldsmith that's had the most interesting releases lately.

Perhaps, but why are there releases like Monsignor? Because most of Williams' major scores have been released on lengthy albums, and those that haven't (like TOD) are way out of FSM's, and probabaly Intrada's and Varese's, league.

so, the 'detonation secuence' is the 'its a droid' (unused inserts) track?

The It's a Droid inserts appear to be exactly what they say they are. I'm betting the the 'detonation sequence' is The Eggs on disc 1.

On a similar note, I'm really intrigued by the assembly of the whole alien ship sequence on this thing.

I really thought it was going to be Young Sherlock Holmes or Masada until Doug Fake dropped the hint that the score was more complex than The Wind & The Lion.

Then my thoughts immediately turned to Alien or Spartacus.

Then you need to take your complaints to Lucasfilm and not worry about what Intrada, FSM or Varese release.

Like I said I'm almost positive that if and when a complete TOD and LC are released they will receive a major release to the public and Lucasfilm will be involved.

we don't need a complete LC release but we do need a complete or expanded TOD release. Stefan's LC 2 disc set is as good as you can hope for.

That said as far as a listening experience goes the original Raiders is a much better listening experience than the expanded score, as is the original Jaws, Close Encounters, and E.T..

Im sure the the Alien's 2 disc set will be good because Jerry didn't do the concert arrangements like JW did. All that JG music, the FSM board must be acting like a meth addict after a big injection.

Interesting. This required a promotional video made for YouTube using the dining hall scene from Alien. John Hurt (apt name considering what is about to happen) writhes around in agony on the table, squirms, screams, and an arm forces its way out of his stomach holding a 2 CD set of the complete Jerry Goldsmith score aloft, and that woman in the background is heard whimpering - "Oh my goooood" ;) Anyway, to be serious I think the impact for me at least is muted because they've taken so bloody long in doing this that along the way all kinds of bootlegs have been aqquired by people, and their quality ain't bad.

And immedialy at the FSM board,with Alien out of the way,the new holy grail,release to end all releases has been replaced by Innerspace 2 c.d. set. The FSM board is driving the film score speciality market,and it's only about Goldsmith.

And immedialy at the FSM board,with Alien out of the way,the new holy grail,release to end all releases has been replaced by Innerspace 2 c.d. set. The FSM board is driving the film score speciality market,and it's only about Goldsmith.

You just don't get and never will.