Your Ultimate John Williams Fanboy Moment.

Ollie

What crazy or odd thing have you done when it comes to Williams?

The year Williams was the Grand Marshall of the Rose Bowl I got food poisoning New Years Eve.

I have never felt or been sicker in my life, No flu, cold or hangover could compare to how bad I felt. I could not hold any food or liquid down and was vomiting constantly.

Yet I still woke up New Years day to watch the Rose Bowl Parade and dragged myself to the couch to watch Williams conduct the Michigan and USC bands performing the National Anthem before the Rose Bowl game.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Ultimate John Williams Fanboy Moment.

Slaughtered some hostages to - "My friend the Brachiosauras".

They were not amused (accusing me of choosing something very understated,considering the circumstances)

But that aside..............erm no, I'll have to give this some further thought and get back to you.

When I went to SpaceCamp in 88' and I took an audio cassette recording of my SpaceCamp LP my father had bought for me, then I had one of the team leaders play some music from it when we were all in the flight simulator. It was really cool. ;)

I don't know, probably quite crazy:

1) talking about JW to a nice girl I talked to for the first time

2) Flight to Neverland planned to be performed by my University Orchestra, on my suggestion

3) talking to someone famous about JW (Dionne Warwick lately).

When I went to SpaceCamp in 88' and I took an audio cassette recording of my SpaceCamp LP my father had bought for me, then I had one of the team leaders play some music from it when we were all in the flight simulator. It was really cool. :)

We have a Winner!

The latest thing would have to be suffering through the "Movies Rock" (though not entirely watching it) special on CBS just to see Williams perform. It wasn't even the best performance, but somehow, it was worth it.

Tanglewood, August 2002. In the intermission I went to stand next to the stage, hoping for something, I don't know what, when I saw a door open, and there was JW at a desk. Just a private glimpse of JW in person.

Hmmm...

I've only been to once concert and wasn't a real mad Williams fan yet then, so I didn't try to meet him or anything.

I suppose this qualifies: skipping almost a whole day's worth of classes in college to download and listen to AotC when it leaked out. One of the reasons I have very fond memories of that score.

I drew a picture of John Williams playing the piano and Spielberg dancing to it when I was 8.

My mom still has it.

Any chance we can get a scan of that one?

I should try and scan it, since I'm fond of it and there are big chances it could be lost forever on its paper form. I'll try to scan it and send you a copy.

Yes, I would like to see that too.

I don't have it anymore, sorry.

Spending several hours last year to record TV broadcasts of Sunday Night Football ,going through hours of footage to find snippets of Williams new themes and then editing them togheter in approximation of what the cues might sound like.

same with recording bumpers during the Olympics

1) Sitting in the audience at several concerts at Tanglewood and following along with my SE scores while JW conducted Catch Me If You Can, Superman, and Adventures on Earth.

2) The dream I had in which I came across JW sitting at the piano, and he was composing for a non-existent Star Wars film, and I was beggin him to stick around while running around frantically trying to find someone with a camera to take our picture.

3) Evacuating my home during this year's Southern California wildfires, the first thing I packed up was my entire collection of SE scores.

Playing John Williams CDs at various parties in high school...surprisingly, people actually came around to enjoying/tolerating it. I have a specific memory of "Fawkes the Phoenix" playing during a just-for-fun volleyball game in the school gym.

Oh, I have another one: posing for pictures in front of BSO 1, the car that drove Williams to the Boston concerts I attended with Neil, Renovia, and Kevin (diskobolus). We were a little bit in awe of the vehicle.

- Wearing a T-shirt with a painting of John Williams on it in Úbeda, along with a bunch of fellow JWFanners.

- Staying awake until very, very, very late to watch the Academy Awards or try to listen to it on the radio, faintly hoping Williams would win for Memoirs of a Geisha or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

- Moderating this hellhole... :thumbup:

- Staying awake until very, very, very late to watch the Academy Awards or try to listen to it on the radio, faintly hoping Williams would win for Memoirs of a Geisha or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Definitely.

Last 2 years, I've been watching the Oscars live and my heart is beating into overdrive by the time the nominations flash by the screen. Then about a minute of angry, repetitive cursing follows where I conclude for the evening that Hollywood sucks a$$.

Not really crazy or odd, but my ultimate Williams fanboy moment is probably hearing Battle of the Heroes for the first time in the movie. I had downloaded the leaked soundtrack and had already listened to it several times. For some reason I was expecting BotH to make more appearances in the movie (probably from an ad that used it during the Dooku duel). So when it finally blasted out at the beginning of the final duel I got the biggest emotional high a movie has probably ever given me.

Having 500+ Williams related CDs.

Whistling or humming around the school a Williams piece (with my fellow teachers and students trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with me, since they don't have, for the most part, the smalled bit of knowledge about serious music).

Being a fan for as long as I remember... in fact my earliest memory is Williams related!

Having 2000+ posts.

Unfortunately.

Couldn't resist, sorry, you make it too easy. ;)

It's okay, I was expecting something like that.

Also, the three JW autographs I have.

- recieving his autograph on the booklet I sent him half a year before

- listening to live broadcast of Disney Hall's inauguration concert (it was 3 a.m. here)

oh, and of course

- Wearing a T-shirt with a painting of John Williams on it in Úbeda, along with a bunch of fellow JWFanners.

When I was 17 years old, I had a doorman after a concert deliver Williams a fan note with a painting. The next year, I actually met him backstage and wanted to ask if he'd received it, but was so nervous, I started with "Remember Me?" and he gave a bemused look, responding "should I?" until I could explain myself. Quite embarrassing, but also quite intimidating coming face to face with the man whose music I cherished all my life. When I met him years after that, I was not nearly so star struck, so it was much less embarrassing.

• 2 years later...

Oh, I have another one: posing for pictures in front of BSO 1, the car that drove Williams to the Boston concerts I attended with Neil, Renovia, and Kevin (diskobolus). We were a little bit in awe of the vehicle.

I would have to agree that weekend was excellent.

Long time reader - first time posting. A very amusing thread so I had to join in.

I too have been known to subject unsuspecting party guests to John Williams music, but probably my most fanboy moment was when my wife and I visited Devil's Tower, Wyoming a few years ago. When the tower first came into view on our first daytime visit - you guessed it - I had "The Mountain" from CE3K playing on the car stereo.

Gets geekier though. We drove back to Devil's Tower later that night, listing to "Barry's Kidnapping" during the near pitch black drive there (very spooky, but cool). Then when we arrived back at the tower, it was illuminated by a near full moon. We parked just outside the main gate, rolled down the windows, and blasted some CE3K "Bye/End Titles" while we dug the moment. AWESOME.

Yup, I'm a Williams geek - and damn proud of it.

Difficult to say, as there hasn't really been one specific moment.

I guess being a Williams completist is an enduring fanboy moment in itself. And talking about him, writing about him and otherwise letting him be part of my identity.

I am, however, considering a trip to the US in a not-too-distant future to see him live at least once in my life (as he will probably never visit Europe again). Should be soon, though, as I'm not sure how long he will keep doing concerts. Perhaps a Hollywood Bowl gig or something, combining it with a meet-up of other fans (from here or FSM or wherever).

Being on stage at a rehearsal of the "Theme from <i>Superman</i>" conducted by Williams was a thrill.

Neil

Did Neil chance his MB name to Lurker?

Who?

My answer to this now is easy: meeting John Williams, thanking him for finally coming to Texas and shaking his hand, and getting my very first Williams CD (Star Wars ANH: SE) autographed.