Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

Hm. Most recently, 12 Years A Slave, Son of God/The Bible, in general most of the Dreamworks stuff....

Also any group efforts that are lazy group efforts instead of fun group efforts.

Hm. Most recently, 12 Years A Slave, Son of God/The Bible, in general most of the Dreamworks stuff....

I'm not a fan of 12 Years or the Bible scores either but Dreamwork's Prince of Egypt is my favorite Zimmer score.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It might be that I heard it done by a much better orchestra, or that they might have used a slightly different arrangement, or that it's just a poor recording, but this doesn't really hold a candle to what I heard last year. Any way, this should give you a general idea of what these scores could sound like without all the pointless sample meddling. What I would give for a truly orchestral re-recording of Dead Man's Chest. The Davy Jones theme is probably my favorite of Zimmer's career, the Kraken material (at least how I heard it performed in St. Louis last year) is just raw, manic gusto, and the new "Drunk Jack" theme fits the character perfectly.

"I originally intended the Gladiator score to be 100% orchestral. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, I was forced to resort to cheap synths and mix the music in such a way to make the orchestra sound larger than it actually was", Zimmer told us. "Given the opportunity, I definitely would have preferred not to use any electronical instrument" he said, with regret in his voice...

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

First review up for Kung Fu Panda 3

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/kungfupanda3byhanszimmerreview

Basically he doesn't like it then gives it 3 1/2 stars anyway because Zimmer

Because Zimmer....what?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Eh, he's entitled to his opinion.  There's no point getting upset over it.

Now, back to the "TFA Score Reactions" thread!

12 hours ago, Jay said:

That's not a fair assessment at all. He doesn't love it the way he loved the second one. He does like it.

He spends most of the review describing the movie, then all the ways the score isn't as good as a previous.  There's like 2 sentences that mention it has some good parts.

6 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Eh, he's entitled to his opinion.  There's no point getting upset over it.

Jason didn't seem upset. Slighly puzzled maybe.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

He spends most of the review describing the movie, then all the ways the score isn't as good as a previous.  There's like 2 sentences that mention it has some good parts.

Just read the review now, and he only talks about the film for the first paragraph and the first sentence of the second.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a question for people who know the Sherlock Holmes score inside out. Rumour has it that there is a suite which wasnot included in the recording sessions. Some person on another website claims its running time is 8:51, but I just can't find the suite anywhere. Is it an OST track? Is there any more SFX-free music not on the sessions?

On 1/31/2016 at 4:31 PM, bollemanneke said:

Here's a question for people who know the Sherlock Holmes score inside out. Rumour has it that there is a suite which wasnot included in the recording sessions. Some person on another website claims its running time is 8:51, but I just can't find the suite anywhere. Is it an OST track? Is there any more SFX-free music not on the sessions?

There are three demo suites from A Game of Shadows going around.  The "Holmes" track is 6:54.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mr. Big said:

A Zimmer penned Fantastic Beasts would be more interesting than another Desplat score, which is very well-trodden ground for the composer.

Hm, I agree.  Some of his more delicate, small-scale scores make me wonder if he would do a quaint bit of chamber scoring for this.  Could be nice.  And how funny that one might expect such a score from Zimmer, yet Desplat is the one in danger of delivering loud blandness!  Yates doesn't know how to handle music.  Desplat, it seems, goes along with that.  Zimmer wouldn't be so compliant, I feel....