Seafaring/Swashbuckling Scores

Your favourite seafaring/swashbuckling score  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Classic Score

• The Black Swan (Alfred Newman)
    • Mutiny on the Bounty (Bronislau Kaper)
    • The Buccaneer (Elmer Bernstein)
    • Captain Blood (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
    • The Sea Hawk (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
    • Swashbuckler (John Addison)
    • The Plymouth Adventure (Miklós Rósza)
    • Captain Horatio Hornblower (Robert Farnon)
    • The Crimson Pirate (William Alwynn)
    • Other, please specify...
  2. 2. Modern Score

• Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Harry Gregson-Williams)
    • Cutthroat Island (John Debney)
    • Muppet Treasure Island (Hans Zimmer)
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Klaus Badelt)
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Hans Zimmer)
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Hans Zimmer)
    • Moby Dick (Christopher Gordon)
    • Horatio Hornblower (John Keane)
    • Treasured Island (Nicholas Dodd)
    • Pirates (Philippe Sarde)
    • Shipwrecked (Patrick Doyle)
    • Other, please specify...

I have always very much liked the sea and ships. Naturally so, I very much like swashbuckling pirate films and other nautical adventures, with accompanying scores. Over the years I have tried to find any seafaring scores I could find. So now I was wondering, which ones do you like best? And if there are any that I have not listed above, please tell me so that I can check those out as well. :mrgreen:

I'd also very much like to know of any other scores with piratey/swashbuckling/seafaring tracks in them, such as Hook (John Williams), The Pagemaster (James Horner) and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Jerry Goldsmith).

Another question: What piratey films are actually out on DVD? I have been able to find hardly any of them.

BTW: As great as it is, I don't consider Hook to answer to the criteria of either being a pirate film or a nautical adventure. It's a fantasy film with some pirates in it. Therefore it does not apply to this poll. <_<

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose other for the Golden Age scores because I'm not too familiar with any of them. I have Mutiny On The Bounty and The Sea Hawk, but I don't think I actually ever listened to them. I'll have to get on that!

For modern scores, I chose Dead Man's Chest. I think Curse Of The Black Pearl is more swashbuckling but Dead Man's Chest is my favorite score of the trilogy.

The only "classic" one I had was Swashbuckler, which is a nice score.

For "modern," I voted for AWE, but I was tempted to vote for other and choose Treasure Planet.

I'd also very much like to know of any other scores with piratey/swashbuckling/seafaring tracks in them, such as Hook (John Williams), The Pagemaster (James Horner) and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Jerry Goldsmith).

I've always considered the "End Titles" from Independence Day to be swashbuckling.

I would recomend you get the soundtracks to Treasure Planet and Waterworld (both by Newton Howard)

And "The Adventures of Mutt."

I voted for Cutthroat Island and The Sea Hawk.

Although Jaws would rate very high and I completely forgot about it.....:mrgreen:

For strictly swashbuckling scores I'd have to go with The Sea Hawk and Cutthroat Island. I don't consider Jaws to be as pure of a pirate score as the others, although it is obviously extremely good.

I don't know the Golden Age ones, unfortunately, which I should rectify. For modern I chose Sinbad, though Cutthroat Island is amazing too.

I've been really wanting to listen to some Korngold, because he's spoken of so highly, but in general I'm not interested in pirate movies. The POTC scores were pretty catchy, though.

Old scores: Captain Blood. Modern ones: Moby Dick, just to counterbalance the CutThroat votes a bit. Both aren't really full-blown swashbuckling scores; Moby is a seafaring score and CutThroat is an action score with swashbuckling and a few seafaring bits.

As far as the POTC scores go... while the third one is actually a nice score, nothing I've heard in them is even remotely swashbuckling.

Sea Hawk and Cutthroat.

But you've just given me a number of titles to check out, I too am a fan of the genre :)

The sound clips for swashbuckler didn't do much for me...maybe i need to revisit it?

The sound clips for swashbuckler didn't do much for me...maybe i need to revisit it?

It's a nice score. I actually don't think it sounds very swashbuckling...in fact, it almost sounds...patriotic. I like Addison's Torn Curtain more, but this one is definetly a nice addition to my collection. "The Coach Robbery" is my favorite.

I really don't think of that as a swashbuckler score.

"Swashbuckler" also denotes a fiction and film genre that is characterized by dazzling swordplay,

an adventurous and romantic plot, a historic setting, and black-and-white heroes and villains"

~ Definition of "Swashbuckler" by Wikipedia.

Jason and the Argonauts fit all those criteria, to me. It's also about 95% ocean based.

Fair enough, but let me put it this way. It doesn't sound like a swashbuckling score to my ears.

Even though it is a great score.

"Swashbuckler" also denotes a fiction and film genre that is characterized by dazzling swordplay,

an adventurous and romantic plot, a historic setting, and black-and-white heroes and villains"

Scaramouche should be in this poll!

Gregson Williams' Sinbad has to be my favorite modern one. As for golden age, only one I really know is The Sea Hawk, and I'm not a fan. I do own Mutiny on the Bounty, but I never got into it. However, for swashbuckling without the seafaring, Adventures of Robin Hood certainly takes the cake for me. The relevant areas of Jaws are also up there, but I still don't buy Jaws as sea-faring adventure score. The two notes are two big a part of the score. But, certainly, the sea-faring parts in it are as good as any.

I don't really consider Jaws and Star Trek II to be real seafaring/swashbuckling scores. Jaws has got parts that are definitly very much seafaring music that I like very much, but there's just not enough of it for me to consider it a real seafaring score. I never really heard the real seafaring influence in Star Trek II. The alternate The Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture sounds much more seafaring to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already got Waterworld and Treasure Planet. Definitly very enjoyable scores, though I like Waterworld more than Treasure Planet. I think Treasure Planet is the weakest of James Newton Howard's Disney film scores.

I'd be interested to know why three people voted for Dead Man's Chest. Personally I only like very select parts of that score and hate the majority with a passion. Especially tracks like The Kraken and Hello Beastie. Jack's theme and Davy Jones' theme are very good though and Wheel of Fortune is good fun.

Personally I voted for Mutiny on the Bounty and Cutthroat Island. I really like Mutiny on the Bounty for it's noble seafaring music and the fact that there's a LOT of it. So far I have been unable to fully appreciate any of the other Golden Age scores. Cutthroat Island is probably my faourite score of all; I like it even more than any of John Williams' scores, though on the whole John Williams is a better composer.

I am not too familiar with any of the older scores, so I didn't vote. But I will say that I absolutely love the four or so tracks I have heard from The Black Swan. Some really great material there.

~ Definition of "Swashbuckler" by Wikipedia.

Star Wars then! A long time ago counts as historic!

Scaramouche should be in this poll!

Count of Monte Cristo (Kevin Reynolds 2002) is the last great Swashbuckler and would have loved to see it scored by Williams. But Edward Shearmur also does a great job here.