33 members have voted

1. 1. wich SCORE is better?

• Memoirs of a Geisha
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find Geisha to be pretty boring, aside from a couple good cues ("Going to School" and "End Credits"). KotCS wins by a longshot.

Memoires of a Geisha is one of John's best works IMO. The only recent score of his that could stand a chance against it would be The Phantom Menace.

Memoirs is a score he really put his heart into. Sure, as a pro, he does well on every score, but since he actively sought this project out himself, there's something special about it.

yes

Anyway comparing drama score with action scores is a little wrong.

Does anyone else think this is a stupid comparison?

It's like comparing Schindler's List with Jurassic Park.

You can ask, "Which do you like more?" but not "Which is better?" These two are completely different.

You can ask, "Which do you like more?" but not "Which is better?" These two are completely different.

God forbid we had a stupid thread in the Indy forum.

Schindler's List is much better!

In a way, it doesn't quite matter. Do you see Oscars being given out for categories like Best Action Movie, Best Comedy and Best Thriller?

Geisha is the better score.

Geisha is just collecting dust. It is not a score that would make people a JW fan.

regardless of the quality difference between Geisha and Kingdom, this new score will bring in more JW fans.

Geisha is just collecting dust. It is not a score that would make people a JW fan.

regardless of the quality difference between Geisha and Kingdom, this new score will bring in more JW fans.

You never like Geisha, Joe?

Because I still think Geisha is one of his top scores! Second only to Schindler's List, when it comes to dramatic scores.

SL is not the best score IMHO(4 out of 5 stars max), and Geisha isn't in the same league as SL. Its a fine score but it doesn't excite me. I don't see how it excites anyone.

SL is not the best score IMHO(4 out of 5 stars max), and Geisha isn't in the same league as SL. Its a fine score but it doesn't excite me. I don't see how it excites anyone.

Well, it's not exciting music per se but it's elegant and beautiful and graceful. Gorgeous, I wanna say. ;)

It's not Star Wars and Indiana Jones exciting, that's for sure, but it's still hauntingly good.

KOTCS overall.

But KOTCS has nothing that comes close to the memorability of The Chairman's Waltz.

Yeah . . . that's pretty much my thought, as well.

Some of the cues are brilliant. "Going to School" and "End Credits" are fantastic, but beyond that, there isn't much interesting music.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but the inability of some of our members to apreciate subtler and quiter types of film music is staggering and frankly, quite sad.

I do enjoy those two pieces you mentioned, Henry, but not as much as "Going to School" or "End Credits." But they're definetly close.

"Going to School," "Becoming a Geisha," "The Chairman's Waltz," and "Confluence" are my top tracks.

I also love the very first track "Sayuri's Theme"--I love what JW does to musically depict the rain, a series of trio played by the cello.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but the inability of some of our members to apreciate subtler and quiter types of film music is staggering and frankly, quite sad.

Yeah I know.

you're painting with a broad stroke there Merkel, and its really stupid of you because you're assuming that just because one isn't enamored with this score they don't like other "quieter scores", though I don't find this one quiet, and it is anything but a subtle score. To call it subtle is to say Jim Carrey is subtle, or the three stooges are subtle.

"Going to School," "Becoming a Geisha," "The Chairman's Waltz," and "Confluence" are my top tracks.

I also love the very first track "Sayuri's Theme"--I love what JW does to musically depict the rain, a series of trio played by the cello.

What rain? It's a concert piece that was tracked into the film (leaving "Journey to the Hanamachi" as it was would have been more effective).

My views on Memoirs of a Geisha have been oft-posted elsewhere.....

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wins in this poll by a very big margin....

...and before anyone slates me for that, I will say yet again that we all have different tastes...

you're painting with a broad stroke there Merkel, and its really stupid of you because you're assuming that just because one isn't enamored with this score they don't like other "quieter scores", though I don't find this one quiet, and it is anything but a subtle score. To call it subtle is to say Jim Carrey is subtle, or the three stooges are subtle.

Trust me, Joe, I was not thinking about you when I wrote that

I would think even you could appreciate "Becoming a Geisha" and "Confluence."

Indeed :)